Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ending the season early? (+++ALL GAMES CANCELLED TILL 4 APRIL+++)

Comments

• Options
    If season abandoned... be interesting to see what bookies do about paying out on , there thousands of bets taken before season starts on , champions, promotion, relegation etc. 
    Bookies do pay out on abandoned matches, though ....... treating the score at the time of abandonment as the result.

Whether they would pay out on promotions/relegations outside of the pre-agreed Competition structure, I wouldn't be so sure.
  • Options
    If season abandoned... be interesting to see what bookies do about paying out on , there thousands of bets taken before season starts on , champions, promotion, relegation etc. 
    Would simply refund on bets where it’s still mathematically possible to still win at this point. 
  • Options
    Refunded.
  • Options
    We have to be honest and say the Coronavirus situation is very likely to be more serious at the time the football suspension ends. The question is when is the latest date the league can restart and realistically be completed? I think it is going to be voided. I also think we are looking at the Euros postponed for a year too. 
  • Options

Brighton's chief executive Paul Barber says it is "really hard to imagine" the Premier League resuming 4 April, as is currently hoped.

"We've got several teams in self isolation, which makes it difficult to think about that date," he said.

"Those players have not just got to self-isolate for 14 days, they've got to get themselves close to match fitness again, which could take another seven to 14 days. So we've got a number of complexities here, which go way beyond thinking of the finances."

BBC sports editor Dan Roan says playing on 4 April is privately deemed "almost impossible" and FA chairman Greg Clarke is known to have already expressed fears that the season may have to be abandoned.

Premier League clubs are set to meet on Thursday, two days after Uefa discuss the fate of Euro 2020.

"Every league starts with an expectation of completing all 38 fixtures, as it is in the Premier League, and we want to be able to do that," Barber added.

"Our intention must be to play the fixtures, but it's really hard to imagine putting on a football game in the Premier League in two or three weeks' time given the scenario we are in.

"If we were to freeze the league it would be incredibly unjust for Liverpool to not be awarded the title, because everybody in the game appreciates what a fantastic season they have had. Equally it would be unjust for teams to be relegated with nine or 10 games to go in the Premier League.

"I think it's a possible option to leave the 20 teams in the league as it is but bring the top two in the Championship up.

"It gives us a larger league, with four relegation places next season and then two teams coming up again. It has some merit but there are a lot of issues to be worked through"

• Options
    Would simply refund on bets where it’s still mathematically possible to still win at this point. 
    It's still mathematically possible for City to win the PL - paying out on Liverpool as a winner AND refunding on City would be an expensive PR exercise.

• Options
    I think we’ll end up with a 22 team Premier League for a season; then 4 down 2 up in 20/21, maybe make the 4th spot a playoff between them and whoever gets through in the Championship, just to add something to it 
  • Options
    Bringing the top two up and not relegating makes sense as the fear in all the legal actions that will take place. The problem is other clubs can say they could have caught Leeds and take action. Mind you, there isn't an alternative that would see them promoted.

If you promote the top two and don't relegate, you can re-balance the next season. In the absence of a perfect solution, this feels the least worst.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bringing the top two up and not relegating makes sense as the fear in all the legal actions that will take place. The problem is other clubs can say they could have caught Leeds and take action. Mind you, there isn't an alternative that would see them promoted.

If you promote the top two and don't relegate, you can re-balance the next season. In the absence of a perfect solution, this feels the least worst.  
    Who do angry Championship clubs sue? The Premier League? Good luck with that! 
  • Options
    That’s a bit one way in their favour. Keep all money from losers refund, all others. Is a big win situation for them.  
  • Options
    Rothko said:

Who do angry Championship clubs sue? The Premier League? Good luck with that! 
    Good point. But the policy will clearly go down the leagues. But I don't think they would have a leg to stand on even if the league is voided and we start again. There is a global crisis going on.
  • Options
    I would can the play offs, I know it’s sounds self serving, but I think we’ll end up with the tables being locked at where they are, and the teams in automatic spots go up, with the required numbers coming down, other then the Premier League 
  • Options
    I can only see two realistic options:

- Season gets restarted in the nick of time and crammed into, say, June before contracts are up.

Or 

- Season gets cancelled and declared null and void.

Anything else gets too complicated with player's contracts, legal challenges from clubs that had games in hand or could have caught other teams etc etc.

The season hasn't been completed, no one has won anything, if it's not finished then you didn't win anything.  It's not fair but that's life.
  • Options
    Karen Brady wants this season called null & void. (Bet she does).
  • Options
    And I can imagine the Premier League response to a threat from the EFL

’nice solidarity payments you’ve got there, be a real shame if something happened to them’
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:
    Karen Brady wants this season called null & void. (Bet she does).
    No surprise ... unfortunately she’s probably right 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Rothko said:
    I would can the play offs, I know it’s sounds self serving, but I think we’ll end up with the tables being locked at where they are, and the teams in automatic spots go up, with the required numbers coming down, other then the Premier League 
    If you can the rest of the league games, you have to can the play offs too. Respect to Klopp as well.
  • Options
    Do Liverpool owe us any money for Gomez if they win the title?
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    My guess is that the season will be scrapped.
    What they will do with the current league standings is anyone’s guess but personally, I expect the season and the results themself will be wiped from the records.
  • Options
    My guess is that the season will be scrapped.
    What they will do with the current league standings is anyone’s guess but personally, I expect the season and the results itself will be wiped from the records.
    I think that is favourite. I had heard a few days ago that the Premier League have the contingency of a League leaders trophy for Liverpool.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Im in the anything to stop Liverpool winning the league camp
    Was that statement really necessary......sorry mate but that’s uncalled for.
  • Options
    Remember when everyone thought Liverpool were getting very lucky with decisions etc?

Imagine being 25 points clear, two wins from a title, and the season getting cancelled.
    179 points from 67 games and no title. 
  • Options
    Do Liverpool owe us any money for Gomez if they win the title?
    If they do Southall will nick it
    Maybe he counted his chickens and spunked it on the Range Rovers.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Abandon the season.

We stay up. Leeds don't get promoted. Liverpool don't win the league.

Everyone's a winner.
    Your best post.
    Also Karma for Liverpool as after the forgotten disaster of Heysal (39 deaths) Everton lost the opportunity to win the European Cup.