Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ending the season early? (+++ALL GAMES CANCELLED TILL 4 APRIL+++)

Comments

• Options
    The players contract status is the biggest issue.

If the season continues on past the end of June then unless a new short term deal is agreed then a player is quite within his rights to say 'i'm not playing'.

But if he does sign then on what terms? Say for example the season resumes and on 1 July we still have 3-4 games left to play. We'd have a whole host of players out of contract and another 6 loan players whose deals will have ended. If we're still fighting relegation and those players are crucial to our survival hopes then they could turn round and say 'ok i'll sign a short term contract, but i want 10k a week more, because you need me'. Then what? 

You have some clubs who've agreed pre-contract deals for other players. Ziyech of Ajax signs for Chelsea on 1 July, so if Ajax are still playing for the title in July, he won't be able to finish the season for them.

It's going to be a complete mess.
    I with you here. It's all got to restart by the end of May - gives 4-5 weeks to get matches played so the season ends on June 30th in line with players contracts. Should be doable by playing sat-wed-sat. No cup matches & no play offs. Straight 3 up & 3 down.

No way should the season just be scrapped or end as it is. Worst case use a computer programme to work out final table based on previous results or average position based on season to date. As I mentiond before, some final positions are pretty much nailed on or indisputable (in order of probability);

Liverpool
    Bolton
    Southend

WBA & Leeds 
    Norwich 

Luton
    Barnsley

So that's pretty much half of the ups & downs without trying.

• Options
    Sage said:
    Seeing as everyone else have been coming up with some mad ideas and no one really knows, I’ll throw in what my Dad said to me yesterday that he wants to happen...

Liverpool get handed the title, they’ve won it let’s be honest and fair.

Leeds and West Brom get promoted, whilst Barnsley and Luton get relegated. The teams in the play offs currently get a points advantage at the start of next season, something like 4 points. The teams who currently occupy the last relegation space start on a minus points, something like -4. This filters the same all the way down the leagues.

Therefore, next season the Premier League, and the Championship, will have 22 teams as no relegation from the Premier League. We would be in the Championship still, but start on a minus due to our current position and being the fortunate one to stay up.

Coventry and Rotherham would take the place of Barnsley and Luton, whilst the 3rd-6th in League One start on plus 4 next season.

Bolton and Southend would get relegated, whilst Crewe, Swindon, and Plymouth get promoted. This would put League One back to 24 teams. Tranmere would start on minus 4 points. Teams in League Two of currently 4th-7th start on plus 4.

Stevenage get relegated from League Two, whilst Barrow and Harrogate get promoted from the National League. This keeps League Two at 24 teams, making the EFL back to its original 92. The teams currently 3rd-5th in the National League get a plus 4 points advantage at the start of next season.

If you look at the all of the league tables as things stand, that actually isn’t such a bad idea and way of making it as fair as possible. The current points gap between such positions is about right to make these assumptions and ideas.

People might argue saying why should we start on -4 whilst X starts on +4 for a new season. Well, if they’re to cancel this season, we need some form of conclusion in order to make this season worth something.

People might think it’s crazy and you can pull it apart if you want, I’m just putting across my Dad’s suggestion and after thinking about it, taking away the crazy part slightly, it’s not a bad idea.
    Lateral thinking  :)
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Seeing as everyone else have been coming up with some mad ideas and no one really knows, I’ll throw in what my Dad said to me yesterday that he wants to happen...

Leeds and West Brom get promoted, whilst Barnsley and Luton get relegated. The teams in the play offs currently get a points advantage at the start of next season, something like 4 points. The teams who currently occupy the last relegation space start on a minus points, something like -4. This filters the same all the way down the leagues.

Therefore, next season the Premier League, and the Championship, will have 22 teams as no relegation from the Premier League. We would be in the Championship still, but start on a minus due to our current position and being the fortunate one to stay up.

Coventry and Rotherham would take the place of Barnsley and Luton, whilst the 3rd-6th in League One start on plus 4 next season.

Bolton and Southend would get relegated, whilst Crewe, Swindon, and Plymouth get promoted. This would put League One back to 24 teams. Tranmere would start on minus 4 points. Teams in League Two of currently 4th-7th start on plus 4.

Stevenage get relegated from League Two, whilst Barrow and Harrogate get promoted from the National League. This keeps League Two at 24 teams, making the EFL back to its original 92. The teams currently 3rd-5th in the National League get a plus 4 points advantage at the start of next season.

If you look at the all of the league tables as things stand, that actually isn’t such a bad idea and way of making it as fair as possible. The current points gap between such positions is about right to make these assumptions and ideas.

People might argue saying why should we start on -4 whilst X starts on +4 for a new season. Well, if they’re to cancel this season, we need some form of conclusion in order to make this season worth something.

People might think it’s crazy and you can pull it apart if you want, I’m just putting across my Dad’s suggestion and after thinking about it, taking away the crazy part slightly, it’s not a bad idea.
    You can't just promote/relegate teams as it currently stands because it opens up all kinds of legal issues.

The main one would be Villa who are currently 2nd from bottom in the premier league, but you can't relegate them as they have a game in hand which if they won would move them above 3 other teams and relegate Bournemouth.

In league one Wycombe are 8th but if they win their game in hand would be 3rd and qualify for the +4 points you're talking about. Clubs who still have to play Bolton and Southend could argue it would be a pretty much guaranteed 6 points. 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    There’s also the problem which TV companies might be looking at the clauses in their contracts and ask not to pay. Happened in France when PSG were moved to deal with Yellow Vest protests in Paris, and broadcasters sued the league for losses caused by games moving from weekends to midweek
    Cuts both ways. Sky aren’t providing the premium content so why should viewers have to pay them?
  • Options
    Sage said:

You can't just promote/relegate teams as it currently stands because it opens up all kinds of legal issues.

The main one would be Villa who are currently 2nd from bottom in the premier league, but you can't relegate them as they have a game in hand which if they won would move them above 3 other teams and relegate Bournemouth.

In league one Wycombe are 8th but if they win their game in hand would be 3rd and qualify for the +4 points you're talking about. Clubs who still have to play Bolton and Southend could argue it would be a pretty much guaranteed 6 points. 
    I explained that there would be no relegation from the Premier League in this idea. Both the Premier League and the Championship would have 22 teams in it next season in this idea.

if you look at the league tables, there is a clearer difference in the main and most important positions, being top two (three in League Two) and the bottom two relegation certainties.

In League One, every week this season, there are going to be teams who have games in hand, that is just the way it is because of the mess that was created at the start of the season.

Whatever happens, it’s not going to please everyone and not going to be fair for everyone. But making it as fair as possible heading into next season by rewarding those who have done well, and saying to those currently in poor positions that they’re to start on negative, could be an outside of the box way of making that happen.

It was just an idea and as said you can pull it apart, but ultimately whatever happens it’s going to be a mess. I would like this season to have counted for something, and finding creative ways of ensuring that whilst keeping things as fair as they possibly can, can’t be a bad thing. Surely it’s better than a complete null and void. The only one’s who really want that to happen are in high positions of power/influence at a club who is in a terrible position, such as West Ham and Brady.

We have played 80% of the season, I just don’t know how it can be written off. Something creative that works for the vast majority has to be the way forward.
  • Options
    Yeah i agree it'd be a shame to just write the season off but if the season doesn't resume i just don't see how you can relegate/promote teams as it stands. 

Barnsley and Luton for example could argue that in another 3-4 games they might have overtaken us.

Oxford who are on a good winning run could easily argue they'd have overtaken Rotherham.
  • Options
    Yeah i agree it'd be a shame to just write the season off but if the season doesn't resume i just don't see how you can relegate/promote teams as it stands. 

Barnsley and Luton for example could argue that in another 3-4 games they might have overtaken us.

Oxford who are on a good winning run could easily argue they'd have overtaken Rotherham.
    I know exactly what you mean, and do agree as well. However, the likelihood is those scenarios aren’t going to happen and with 80% of the current t season already played, these clubs who could argue these things should’ve done better previously.

I don’t want to bring politics into this, but as an example, we live in a democracy, many people aren’t happy with how things go but just have to deal with it. So in that way of thinking, if a handful of the current 91 aren’t happy, unfortunately that’s just the way it is, because no solution is going to work for everyone. 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    There’s also the problem which TV companies might be looking at the clauses in their contracts and ask not to pay. Happened in France when PSG were moved to deal with Yellow Vest protests in Paris, and broadcasters sued the league for losses caused by games moving from weekends to midweek
    Cuts both ways. Sky aren’t providing the premium content so why should viewers have to pay them?
    This his where the argument that PL clubs will be OK that is being spouted on the media comes crashing down. PL clubs will be among the first to go. They’ve already spent their tv revenues on commitments like wages etc. Pull the plug suddenly on the £100 million plus tv revenues because they are not supplying the product and those clubs are fucked.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rothko said:
    Suspect Comcast can afford a few refunds for people who want them; and then sue the Premier League for the lost revenue  
  • Options
    Sage said:

Or just do what the germans have suggested, which is teams get promoted.. but nobody goes down this season. Means 2 extra teams next season and more teams relegated. 
  • Options
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/coronavirus-west-ham-able-finish-21691167

Another mess is that The London Stadium and Spurs stadium both have other events booked in them this summer
  • Options
    Also a thing for BT and Sky, that they’ll get a 22 team Premier League for a season more games to show 
  • Options
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/coronavirus-west-ham-able-finish-21691167

Another mess is that The London Stadium and Spurs stadium both have other events booked in them this summer
    Tough. They should own their own grounds & not rent them out for more money. You have to take the downsides if you want the upsides.
  • Options
    Uboat said:
    Just heard a lawyer on the radio. Their view was that the likeliest outcome was the season wouldn't be completed in which case the whole thing would be declared null and void and you start again as if nothing had happened. 
    Well you could just hand Liverpool the title as if they won it.......like MK Dons did with AFC Wimbledon over the FA Cup.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Sage said:

I explained that there would be no relegation from the Premier League in this idea. Both the Premier League and the Championship would have 22 teams in it next season in this idea.

if you look at the league tables, there is a clearer difference in the main and most important positions, being top two (three in League Two) and the bottom two relegation certainties.

In League One, every week this season, there are going to be teams who have games in hand, that is just the way it is because of the mess that was created at the start of the season.

Whatever happens, it’s not going to please everyone and not going to be fair for everyone. But making it as fair as possible heading into next season by rewarding those who have done well, and saying to those currently in poor positions that they’re to start on negative, could be an outside of the box way of making that happen.

It was just an idea and as said you can pull it apart, but ultimately whatever happens it’s going to be a mess. I would like this season to have counted for something, and finding creative ways of ensuring that whilst keeping things as fair as they possibly can, can’t be a bad thing. Surely it’s better than a complete null and void. The only one’s who really want that to happen are in high positions of power/influence at a club who is in a terrible position, such as West Ham and Brady.

We have played 80% of the season, I just don’t know how it can be written off. Something creative that works for the vast majority has to be the way forward.
    Sage once again nails it. 
  • Options
    Uboat said:
    Just heard a lawyer on the radio. Their view was that the likeliest outcome was the season wouldn't be completed in which case the whole thing would be declared null and void and you start again as if nothing had happened. 
    Well you could just hand Liverpool the title as if they won it.......like MK Dons did with AFC Wimbledon over the FA Cup.
    You could, but that won't happen in this scenario because then all the teams in promotion places will want to be handed things too. 
  • Options
    Uboat said:
    I think it’s the only way it can work in order to minimise litigation. 
  • Options
    Liverpool haven't won the title yet. They can only win the title when other teams can't mathematically catch them. That is just a simple fact. It is different to they will almost certainly win the title, but surely the word almost precludes them from winning it until it no longer applies.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If all players isolate for 2 weeks then return to play all fixtures behind closed floors. They’d have to stay Isolated as a group and not see family/friends etc, but no different to when cricketers go on tour for x months . Knock the games out in 5/6 weeks.

Sorted 😉
  • Options
    If all players isolate for 2 weeks then return to play all fixtures behind closed floors. They’d have to stay Isolated as a group and not see family/friends etc, but no different to when cricketers go on tour for x months . Knock the games out in 5/6 weeks.

Sorted 😉
    You still need ambulances/medical staff for behind closed doors matches. Might not be the best use of what will be extremely scarce resources in a few weeks time. 
  • Options
    I posted before ...... the Competition rules are set before the season commences.

They can't just change or make up new rules as they go along during the course of the season.

It would unfairly benefit some clubs and clearly disadvantage others ...... leaving the League wide open to multiple legal challenges of malpractice.

The League would be vulnerable to a Court of Law declaring the season's Competition null and void.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    I posted before ...... the Competition rules are set before the season commences.

They can't just change or make up new rules as they go along during the course of the season.

It would unfairly benefit some clubs and clearly disadvantage others ...... leaving the League wide open to multiple legal challenges of malpractice.

The League would be vulnerable to a Court of Law declaring the season's Competition null and void.

They probably can if this were to be considered a force majeure situation, which we must be getting to now. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Oggy Red said:

They probably can if this were to be considered a force majeure situation, which we must be getting to now. 
    Force Majeure would surely cancel the season entirely, null and void.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    se9addick said:
    Oggy Red said:

Force Majeure would surely cancel the season entirely, null and void.

No, not necessarily.

To be honest I think the simplest thing to do now would be to finish the season, promote the top two sides in each division and have 22 teams in the Premier League when the next season starts (whenever that may be). 
  • Options
    I think the season has gone too far for it to just be written off. I would rather see this season completed, even if it's in August and then changes made to next season and the season after. The 2022 World Cup has already created a fixture problem, that can factored in. 
  • Options
    Players contracts are going to create a hard deadline of the end of June, the season will need to be done by then 
  • Options
    If season abandoned... be interesting to see what bookies do about paying out on , there thousands of bets taken before season starts on , champions, promotion, relegation etc.