Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ending the season early? (+++ALL GAMES CANCELLED TILL 4 APRIL+++)

Comments

• edited March 2020
    We thought the Middlesbrough game was a six pointer but a draw may of kept us up ?

• If season abandoned... be interesting to see what bookies do about paying out on , there thousands of bets taken before season starts on , champions, promotion, relegation etc. 
    Just refund the bets. Hardly rocket science & a non issue considering what else is going on.
  • edited March 2020
    Apologies if this has been posted before, but here's what the Mail reckons might happen (quoting the Telegraph):

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-8111151/Liverpool-set-given-Premier-League-title-season-ended-coronavirus.html

- Liverpool given the title
    - No relegation from PL
    - Top two in the Championship are promoted
    - Five relegated from the PL next season (2020/21), and the EFL Cup axed to facilitate extra league fixtures

Not sure what happens regarding relegation/promotion in the EFL, but the implication is that two go up/down from each league. 
  • edited March 2020
    The teams in the PL relegation spots will call in very expensive lawyers if they're relegated without having a chance to complete their fixtures. I suspect the PL will be informed that they're on very shaky ground and will back down which will set a precedent for the league's below.
  • Can’t see 5 down, can see 4 down 2 up, feels normal and was done when the Premier League went from 22 to 20
  • Apologies if this has been posted before, but here's what the Mail reckons might happen (quoting the Telegraph):

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-8111151/Liverpool-set-given-Premier-League-title-season-ended-coronavirus.html

- No relegation from PL
    - Five relegated from the PL next season, and the EFL Cup axed to facilitate extra league fixtures

Not sure what happens regarding relegation/promotion in the EFL, but the implication is that two go up/down from each league. 
    I'd presume the same happens in every league 
  • edited March 2020
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:
    I'm amazed that some posters think the League can just change the Competition rules 3 quarters of the way through the season.

It would almost be like changing the Laws of the Game during a match with 20 minutes left ..... you know, keeper suddenly permitted to handle outside the box, offside law abolished and the game duration changed to 80 minutes. 

Nobody would know what was happening. There would be uproar.
    And the team that lost would be taking the League to court first thing on Monday morning.  

The rules can be changed if it is impossible to fulfil them due to outside factors. You know, Wars, killer viruses etc... You can postpone a game with 20 minutes left and there is a precedent for postponed games to be abandoned.
    The Competition rules won't be changed. That's my point.

The season can be extended until all fixtures are completed.
    Or abandoned completely, null and void.

You can't just re-write the rules 3 quarters of the way through the season.
    The Competition rules have to be known before commencement of the season.

That's a legal requirement.
    Sounds about right.
  • alicwkd said:
    Sadly for us I think the least bad solution, assuming the season won't be able to be completed, is to take the tables as they are now. For clubs that have games in hand, work out their average points per game so far and award them the appropriate number of points for their outstanding fixtures. Scrap all unfinished cup competitions. 

Not a great solution by any means but I think it's more fair missing 9 odd games than undoing the work teams have done over 35ish games. Obviously from a biased point of view I would prefer the season expunged completely! And if there's any way the remaining fixtures can be completed before contracts expire that would obviously be preferable but I just can't see how it can be done. 
    That'll never be an option as the season hasn't ended with all fixtures completed. 
  • JamesSeed said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:
    I'm amazed that some posters think the League can just change the Competition rules 3 quarters of the way through the season.

It would almost be like changing the Laws of the Game during a match with 20 minutes left ..... you know, keeper suddenly permitted to handle outside the box, offside law abolished and the game duration changed to 80 minutes. 

Nobody would know what was happening. There would be uproar.
    And the team that lost would be taking the League to court first thing on Monday morning.  

The rules can be changed if it is impossible to fulfil them due to outside factors. You know, Wars, killer viruses etc... You can postpone a game with 20 minutes left and there is a precedent for postponed games to be abandoned.
    The Competition rules won't be changed. That's my point.

The season can be extended until all fixtures are completed.
    Or abandoned completely, null and void.

You can't just re-write the rules 3 quarters of the way through the season.
    The Competition rules have to be known before commencement of the season.

That's a legal requirement.
    Sounds about right.
    It does seem strange that there isn't anything in the rules already to cover the season being unable to be completed. I mean, wars and viruses can happen. Nobody can complain if the rules have a pre-determined solution.
  • clb74 said:
    Im in the anything to stop Liverpool winning the league camp
    Was that statement really necessary......sorry mate but that’s uncalled for.
    Yes it was.
  • Sponsored links:

• shine166 said:
    Apologies if this has been posted before, but here's what the Mail reckons might happen (quoting the Telegraph):

- No relegation from PL
    - Five relegated from the PL next season, and the EFL Cup axed to facilitate extra league fixtures

I'd presume the same happens in every league 
    No. We all know that there is only one league that matters.......
  • clb74 said:
    clb74 said:
    clb74 said:
    Im in the anything to stop Liverpool winning the league camp
    Was that statement really necessary......sorry mate but that’s uncalled for.
    Yes it was.
    I dont get this Liverpool hating stuff, so please can you enlighten me why...?
    Might of been the slap in the face I recieved up there when I was 15.
    The way they they say to other fans what do you know about football you support Charlton.
    The way they always feel hard done by.
    Would you like me to continue?
    They could have a bit of a point this time.
  • A Wednesday fan on Twitter reckons the season should be cut short from the half-way point, when everyone had played each other once. Obviously tongue-in-cheek but not a bad idea!

• The teams in the PL relegation spots will call in very expensive lawyers if they're relegated without having a chance to complete their fixtures. I suspect the PL will be informed that they're on very shaky ground and will back down which will set a precedent for the league's below.
    Oh this with knobs on. You have competition rules and have to stick to them. You can’t abitrarily changed them to suit. Same as promotion from the Championship. Why Leeds and West Brom? Why not Brentford and Fulham?

i can see two ways out and I don’t like the first, make the season null and void. I’d much rather restart the season at whichever point it’s possible and conclude it asap, playing Saturday and midweek every week. Then have a normal close season, maybe shortened if possible, then start the next season. Scrap the cups for one season, maybe even the European comps, and play more midweek games and try and finish next season early next May. I’m sure it can be done, not ideal, but doable.
  • Promotion only for one season, only the teams in the autos, then more relegation the next 2 seasons to bring it back in line
  • Leeds and West Brom will be promoted if it suits the Premier League, and as far as I can see, it suits the Premier League.

the EFL can complain all it likes, but the Premier League will point at the solidarity payments, and the EFL will button it 
  • Can't see any scenario other than null and void apart from Prem money playing games in empty stadiums with no relegation.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think it would be crazy to cancel the season. People are taking such a short term view on things. The football is suspended until April 3rd but I would be amazed if it got started again by then. There are models out there which give you a chance of half decently forecasting how this virus will spread and calculate when you think it could pass.

The short term element is that people aren't questioning next season. It may be that we're not even ready to start that.

My suggestion would be to suspend this season until further notice but guarantee that it will get finished. This removes so much of the uncertainty but also avoids major legal battles which will endure if it doesn't conclude. Putting aside the severity of what's going on this would also be a major plus for people getting back to their regular life as you'd have the equivalent of a very short season with all the excitement that would take many minds off what had gone before.

Put the Euros back to 2021. Having suspended football it's going to take a brave or crazy person to get everything back on again in a very short space of time. This potentially gives time for league fixtures to be finished in the summer but if the virus persists it will take some creative thinking to get things going. Possibilities like removing the league cup or lower league cup for a season to create space in the calendar and more extremely have a curtailed 2020/ 2021 season with everybody playing each other just the once. Teams would get an extra home or away game but in the scheme of things this would surely be a relatively minor issue.

• If they can play behind closed doors than fine. If not, null and void this season and start afresh as soon as possible next season. Probably September.

Next best option, back date the end of the season to when everyone had played each other once.

Next best, allocate the same result and points to remaining games as achieved in the first games.

No option is great, but better to base it on something that has actually happened. 
  • trickyf said:

I think it would be crazy to cancel the season. People are taking such a short term view on things. The football is suspended until April 3rd but I would be amazed if it got started again by then. There are models out there which give you a chance of half decently forecasting how this virus will spread and calculate when you think it could pass.

The short term element is that people aren't questioning next season. It may be that we're not even ready to start that.

My suggestion would be to suspend this season until further notice but guarantee that it will get finished. This removes so much of the uncertainty but also avoids major legal battles which will endure if it doesn't conclude. Putting aside the severity of what's going on this would also be a major plus for people getting back to their regular life as you'd have the equivalent of a very short season with all the excitement that would take many minds off what had gone before.

Put the Euros back to 2021. Having suspended football it's going to take a brave or crazy person to get everything back on again in a very short space of time. This potentially gives time for league fixtures to be finished in the summer but if the virus persists it will take some creative thinking to get things going. Possibilities like removing the league cup or lower league cup for a season to create space in the calendar and more extremely have a curtailed 2020/ 2021 season with everybody playing each other just the once. Teams would get an extra home or away game but in the scheme of things this would surely be a relatively minor issue.

Problem with that is if it runs past June 30th then lots of players contracts will be up & players are free to leave. Say we dont start again until July, what do CAFC do...? Play the remaining 9 games with about 12 contracted players?

Imo the only thing to do is to start by the end of May & play sat-wed-sat until the end of June. Otherwise just null & void and start a new season in August as normal. 

Both the EFL & PL need to sit down together & work this out. Not separately. You cant just have the PL talking about no relegation & promoting just Leeds & WBA. It needs to be a joint decision. 
  • se9addick said:
    I mentioned on another thread yesterday that the season would be ended. And that there was a conference call. I got this info straight from the source. Despite the announced April 3rd end of the postponments, the real plan is to simply end the season and my source says there is almost no chance of it re-starting. Foreign players want to go back home to be with families and they doubt they will accept being called back until at least the summer. Apparently on the EFL conference call today, many clubs stated they will go into administration in the next three months if they are not financially supported in coming weeks. In addition, the virus could cause long-term (and even permanent) drop offs in attendances from now on, shifting turnover even more to TV money, further hurting small clubs. The debate among owners is whether smaller clubs should be financially helped by the Premier League, by government, or if some (many?) clubs going into liquidation simply exposes a situation that has been inevitable for some time and the process should not be interfered with. There is talk about expanding the PL and consolidating leagues after a culling of 10-33% of EFL clubs, which is the estimate, in-house, in coming months. Some PL owners want to end promotion and relegation altogether (also eliminate the FA and League Cups) as a price for expanding their league to 24 clubs, and may not give assistance (or any future solidarity money) to the EFL without ending those things. Some PL owners apparently feel that this is the time to make their move to solidify the league along the lines of the NFL, and that with other clubs failing, no one can really stop them. The ending of relegation was tabled the last few years but never had the necessary votes. However with relegation perhaps meaning oblivion in the new reality for mid-level clubs, they may have the necessary votes to do this, now. I hear that Leeds will be in the PL next season no matter what other decision is taken, even if no one else is relegated from the PL and that if the PL does expand, it might be by "invite only," from now on, rather than being determined by League position. Nothing set in stone, just some clubs wanting to be opportunistic and use the distress to their own advantage. Just reporting what I am told, again. Good luck!

I don’t really think any of those things are going to happen. 
    He got it straight from the source though. Are you arguing with the source?
  • This comment from one EFL chairman is ridiculous:

"The EFL is probably being bombarded with emails from 71 clubs asking how much money they have in reserve and 'what are you going to do to compensate clubs?'

People are dying and literally all you care about is getting compensation from the EFL because you've clearly mismanaged your finances.

Will airlines, hotels, hospitality, events etc all be compensated? No they'll just have to get on with it and probably some smaller businesses will fold as a result if this goes on for months.

But football clubs who've overspent are expecting to be compensated by the EFL, absolutely crazy.
  • I do like the relegate Barnsley and Luton  but not us ideas.

• Off_it said:
    Abandon the season.

We stay up. Leeds don't get promoted. Liverpool don't win the league.

Everyone's a winner.
    Will probably end this way.
  • clb74 said:
    I do like the relegate Barnsley and Luton  but not us ideas.

If we're just going to pick and choose which clubs to relegate, I prefer the relegate Millwall and Sheffield Wednesday idea  :)

If Wednesday get a 10 point deduction, they'll be in the bottom 3 anyway; while they have a lot on their plate, the EFL do need to come to a decision on Wednesday and Derby
  • clb74 said:
    I do like the relegate Barnsley and Luton  but not us ideas.

If we're just going to pick and choose which clubs to relegate, I prefer the relegate Millwall and Sheffield Wednesday idea  :)

If Wednesday get a 10 point deduction, they'll be in the bottom 3 anyway; while they have a lot on their plate, the EFL do need to come to a decision on Wednesday and Derby
    Very good point