Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ending the season early? (+++ALL GAMES CANCELLED TILL 4 APRIL+++)

Comments

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I have changed my mind on this.  I originally was of the opinion that just you just scrap this season and start again. 

I now think what is more likely is to scrap next season and finish this season come what may. 

Most of Europe is in lock down and will be for the next 12 weeks.  I am not sure when the 1st rounds of the European competitions are meant to start but that already can't happen. 

I don't know how much "integrity" this season will have as we could play Hull in September with a completely diffrent set of players than we would have done.  But it's probably the least worst option. 
    If we're playing Hull in September then how do you fit in next season and get it played before the Euros? 

What happens when you finish the season in November with everybody shaking each others hands job well done but then you can't play a full 20/21 season before the Euros?

If the season can't be finished before the end of June sorry but logically there's no other realistic solution than to end the season no relegations and top two go up. It's the least hassle to it and also gives enough flexibility to complete next season as well especially if you have to delay the start of 20/21 to September which is quite possible.
    There is no way you are going to be able to finish this season and play the whole of next season in the next 14 months. 

Even if there isn't a second wave of out breaks. Which there will be. 

Originally I was of the opinion to scrap this season and start a fresh in August.  That won't happen now so you might as well finish this season, at some point. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I have changed my mind on this.  I originally was of the opinion that just you just scrap this season and start again. 

I now think what is more likely is to scrap next season and finish this season come what may. 

Most of Europe is in lock down and will be for the next 12 weeks.  I am not sure when the 1st rounds of the European competitions are meant to start but that already can't happen. 

I don't know how much "integrity" this season will have as we could play Hull in September with a completely diffrent set of players than we would have done.  But it's probably the least worst option. 
    Surely they will do whatever is easiest and in this case it's probably easier to scrap a season that has 9/10 games left and then start afresh in August, than to finish the 9-10 games come what may and then scrap the entire of next season?

I still think it's potentially possible we could finish our season in June/July, start the new season in mid-September, scrap the league cup to create 3-4 extra midweeks, maybe cancel an international break too, and then get the whole of the 20/21 season done before the Euro's.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Not quite what I had in mind but the second (less animated graphic) would see us safe even if updated with the missing games surely ;)

https://noobnorm.com/all-time-football-league-table/
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    sralan said:
    Honestly can't see any games being played before June. 
    I think June would be optimistic
    Didn't say what year though.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

If we're playing Hull in September then how do you fit in next season and get it played before the Euros? 

What happens when you finish the season in November with everybody shaking each others hands job well done but then you can't play a full 20/21 season before the Euros?

If the season can't be finished before the end of June sorry but logically there's no other realistic solution than to end the season no relegations and top two go up. It's the least hassle to it and also gives enough flexibility to complete next season as well especially if you have to delay the start of 20/21 to September which is quite possible.

Shorten the 20/21 season accordingly.  If it were to start in November, make it a 25 game season, and 32 for the lower leagues, etc etc.
  • Options
    You wouldn’t need to shorten it, you just align it to the 2022 World Cup, and run it so it lines up for that 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    You wouldn’t need to shorten it, you just align it to the 2022 World Cup, and run it so it lines up for that 
    Good shout.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Non league are the first to blink Edit to clarify. This is level 9 and 10 of the English league
  • Options
    Interesting they've cancelled the season without deciding what measures to take

Whats the PPG?
  • Options
    Points per game
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    How does that work then?
  • Options
    How does that work then?
    Its basically having the table finish as it is now but awarding an average PPG to teams with games in hand. 
  • Options
    Can’t see that the ppg would be fair at all. Kind of says that you extrapolate all previous results to work out the residual results, The fairest way, between these choices, is null and void I’m afraid.
  • Options
    How does that work then?
    Its basically having the table finish as it is now but awarding an average PPG to teams with games in hand. 
    So because all teams are on 37-games in the Championship there wouldnt be an need to award an average?
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Interesting article in the Guardian yesterday, don’t know how to cut and paste on my phone, which suggests there can’t be any team sports until next year.
    If this is so I can see the season picking up next March with where we are now and the 20/21 season not happening.
    The article was by Sean Ingle.
  • Options
    How does that work then?
    So because all teams are on 37-games in the Championship there wouldnt be an need to award an average?
    That’s the way I take it.
    Eg. in the Premier League Wolves are 6th on GD level on points with Sheffield United but they have played a game more. By PPG Sheffield United would be 6th
  • Options
    iainment said:
    Interesting article in the Guardian yesterday, don’t know how to cut and paste on my phone, which suggests there can’t be any team sports until next year.
    If this is so I can see the season picking up next March with where we are now and the 20/21 season not happening.
    That would be a possibility if no sport can take place for that long. Big If though.
  • Options
    How does that work then?
    Eg. in the Premier League Wolves are 6th on GD level on points with Sheffield United but they have played a game more. By PPG Sheffield United would be 6th
    It’s still not a fair evaluation imo. I think they would have to take into account who their remaining fixtures are against as well as who the game in hand is against. Some teams have played the better teams twice already.
  • Options
    so a team might have played Liverpool twice and another team played Norwich twice and the second team has a better PPG purely from playing a crappy team twice

Load of bollox if you ask me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    How does that work then?
    It’s still not a fair evaluation imo. I think they would have to take into account who their remaining fixtures are against as well as who the game in hand is against. Some teams have played the better teams twice already.
    Absolutely. I don’t agree with the idea at all. Feels like a rushed decision in order to get things sorted out. But there isn’t any need to make a rushed decision.
    no decision one way or the other is going to bring football back any quicker, or make teams any money in the mean time

Originally the main concern was getting it sorted (either null and void or as it stands) so we can start fresh in August. A new season in August seems unlikely to me and any season starting too much later will cause issue with the Euros next year.
  • Options
    How does that work then?
    I'm not too keen on PPG with so many matches left to play.

It doesn't allow for a "Devon Loch" form slump for teams previously playing well, a miraculous upturn for teams down at the bottom, or clusterfcuk boardroom battles filtering down through a club impairing team performances.

Either play the season through to a proper conclusion, whenever that may be, or pull up stumps and call it off.
  • Options
    Null and void - start a new season in August if possible.
    Any points deductions from start of this season still apply.
  • Options
    iainment said:
    Still doesn't sort out the contract situation or do all players sign on for an extra year? Would mean Lyle would be 31 by the time his contract is up.
  • Options
    The only acceptable solution to this is to abandon all cups and play the remaining 10 or so league games over the summer (whether closed-door or otherwise), and that is the only outcome I will accept. Null and void might sound good to supporters of a club in the relegation zone or fans of either Manchester club, but we shouldn't clamour for the magic bullet to get us out of this. Destroying the season is worse than relegation
  • Options
    Sadly, the virus is destroying a lot more than football seasons.
  • Options
    Alphabetical order, Barnsley fans would agree.
    also it would be nice to Arsenal back in the Champions league, they’ve had such a torrid time the past few years.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Start the season again (make this one null and void) but everyone starts on the same points as what they've currently got
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Start the season again (make this one null and void) but everyone starts on the same points as what they've currently got
    This is the fairest idea I’ve heard
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Lets hope that Sky give up on football and that we can return to some sort of sanity in which what matters is whether you can develop and manage a team.  I'd settle for relegation if players were no longer paid as much in a week as you or I are likely to earn in 20 years.
    Why?
    I believe that Sky's influence has been pretty negative on the whole. I think the money could have been used in ways that embedded clubs further into their communities and enhanced them. I think that was abandoned to create a monopoly that is not answerable to anybody.