Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ending the season early? (+++ALL GAMES CANCELLED TILL 4 APRIL+++)

Comments

• Options
    Think best thing is to end league now and have top team up and bottom team down and Liverpool declared champions.
  • Options
    As an Ebbsfleet fan I hope the national league follow the others beneath them, clearly there are other local fans who would beg to differ...
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    I really dont care what happens.
    If im going to league one grounds next season then so be it.
    People are dying and the nhs are fighting a war at the moment.
    I must admit that, at the moment, this is how I feel. 
  • Options
    Think best thing is to end league now and have top team up and bottom team down and Liverpool declared champions.

This is the best and fairest solution I've seen proposed.
    https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/coronavirus-premier-league-efl-championship-liverpool-leeds-west-brom-a9404411.html

• Options
    Loved the comment by someone (no idea who) from the lower leagues who have just had their season voided & all records expunged. Asked if the fines levied on players booked / sent off would now be refunded (seeing as, for the record, the games didnt go ahead).

For someone who 30 years ago had to pay a £12 fine for getting booked I heartedly agree with him.

• Options
    “At a recent meeting, one club said, ‘Listen, I’m going to let my players go on holiday but if they get stuck because the situation changes, do you think the government will send private planes over to get them so they can play football?’.

Fuck sake.
  • Options
    Loved the comment by someone (no idea who) from the lower leagues who have just had their season voided & all records expunged. Asked if the fines levied on players booked / sent off would now be refunded (seeing as, for the record, the games didnt go ahead).

For someone who 30 years ago had to pay a £12 fine for getting booked I heartedly agree with him.

Would appearances and goals also be chalked off then? And would our Valiant numbers become null and void?
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    The return of football will be special as it will signal better times ahead. My hope, but not expectation, is that all of this makes clubs realise that there is too much greed in the game and something better comes out of it.
  • Options
    Say things are ok by November then teams can play their remaining 9/10 and the play offs by the end of January. Scrap the 20/21 season.

Then have a break or play friendlies, pencil in the Euros for April/May. Teams can then start their preseason for 21/22.

Main problem with that is we don't have any idea when things will return normal.
  • Options
    Until there is a vaccine, there is surely going to be a risk in relation to large gatherings for quite a while. I suppose behind closed doors games may be the way to manage that. But say you start a season and a few players catch it, you have to stop it again.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    iaitch said:
    Say things are ok by November then teams can play their remaining 9/10 and the play offs by the end of January. Scrap the 20/21 season.

Then have a break or play friendlies, pencil in the Euros for April/May. Teams can then start their preseason for 21/22.

Main problem with that is we don't have any idea when things will return normal.
    Another problem with scrapping 20/21 how do teams survive on 9/10 games given only 4/5 would be at home in games they already sold season tickets for and a few friendlies to replace a season's income?
  • Options
    Ross said:

Would appearances and goals also be chalked off then? And would our Valiant numbers become null and void?
    I believe so. All records expunged, so like it never happened.

No first league goals for Josh Davision or George Lapslie.
  • Options
    Ross said:

I believe so. All records expunged, so like it never happened.

No first league goals for Josh Davision or George Lapslie.
    No title for the scousers :D
  • Options
    On the records being expunged point, this has happened before when the 1939/40 season was cancelled. Not that my view counts for anything but at Doing the 92 we include those games and appearances because they were competitive matches when played. The same goes for the Aldershot season when they went bust. So no matter what is officially decided, we'll be keeping the records, with all appearances, goals, cards and international caps counting towards a player's record. (I know there's no discussion about caps but thought I'd include them anyway).

One other thing, if Bury were able to sort themselves out as a Phoenix club it would be a good opportunity for the League to let them back in as well.
  • Options

Dissent. Moaning at the ref ...... ?

:smile:
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    iaitch said:

A few pages back I made a light hearted post suggesting something along similar lines: re-start this season whenever it's deemed safe to do so, finish the remaining games to complete this season.

That negates all the the legal recriminations that otherwise disadvantaged clubs will attempt.
    In itself, court cases could long delay or prevent the start of any 20-21 season.

The regulations of each competition permit making/changing rules prior to a season commencing, but not once the season is in progress.
    Next season could be changed any which way the member clubs decide - or even scrapped altogether.

For what it's worth, I'll dig out my old post in a mo.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    I've just had an idea ..... re-start the season on 1st September, play the remaining 9 games, no relegation from the Championship :wink:
    with the playoffs the last 2 weeks of October. 

Player contracts get sorted from 1st November, the transfer window opens for a month, post-season training starts until the first League fixture on Boxing Day - each Division is in the form of the Johnson Paint Trophy: 3 mini Leagues of 8 teams, play home & away, to be completed by April 1st 2021.

The top team of each mini-division get promoted; each bottom team gets relegated.

As compensation, the runners up of each mini-division qualify to play in the once again prestigious FA Cup commencing Good Friday, with the Cup Final at Wembley on the May Day Monday Bank Holiday.

Everyone thinks, "We did it, we finished last season and this one too. Teams gets promoted and relegated - and someone gets to win the FA Cup.
    And the Euros start on time.

Genius, eh? :smile::smile::smile:

Here's that old post I made about 10 days ago, for what it's worth - just intended as a discussion point.
    It was written tongue in cheek and meant to be a bit of fun, but trying to think outside the box also.

Remember next season 20-21 doesn't have to be played in it's present format, if the member clubs agree to any changes made BEFORE the next season commences.

Anyway not to be taken too seriously, just meant to be a discussion point for you posters to come up with your own ideas to how next season should unfold?

Fire away!

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:
    I've just had an idea ..... re-start the season on 1st September, play the remaining 9 games, no relegation from the Championship :wink:
    with the playoffs the last 2 weeks of October. 

Player contracts get sorted from 1st November, the transfer window opens for a month, post-season training starts until the first League fixture on Boxing Day - each Division is in the form of the Johnson Paint Trophy: 3 mini Leagues of 8 teams, play home & away, to be completed by April 1st 2021.

The top team of each mini-division get promoted; each bottom team gets relegated.

As compensation, the runners up of each mini-division qualify to play in the once again prestigious FA Cup commencing Good Friday, with the Cup Final at Wembley on the May Day Monday Bank Holiday.

Everyone thinks, "We did it, we finished last season and this one too. Teams gets promoted and relegated - and someone gets to win the FA Cup.
    And the Euros start on time.

Genius, eh? :smile::smile::smile:

Here's that old post I made about 10 days ago, for what it's worth - just intended as a discussion point.
    It was written tongue in cheek and meant to be a bit of fun, but trying to think outside the box also.

Remember next season 20-21 doesn't have to be played in it's present format, if the member clubs agree to any changes made BEFORE the next season commences.

Anyway not to be taken too seriously, just meant to be a discussion point for you posters to come up with your own ideas to how next season should unfold?

Fire away!

Why not?
  • Options
    Man City have won the League Cup already, surely that wouldn't be expunged seeing that it was for a completed competition?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Why is that the best thing ?
    patently unfair to majority of clubs. 
  • Options
    It's not in the  written League Competition rules.

Therefore any changes to the rules made after the commencement of a season will be challenged in the Law Courts by numerous clubs thus disadvantaged.

Should any club or multiple clubs obtain an injunction against the League, it's doubtful whether the new season could commence until the situation is legally resolved.

And that could take a long time.
  • Options
    and Conor never played for us?
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

No, he was booked for excessive pessimism.
  • Options
    I really don’t see the problem. I can’t see football starting again before August, probably September. Therefore finish the 2019/20 season to its right and proper conclusion under the competition rules in place when the season started.

Then start a new season with a reduced number of games, say 30 so 15 home and fifteen away. Or split the league in half and play everyone home and away then have play offs between the two halves. The two top teams get promoted and the teams 2nd and 3rd in each half go into the playoffs. The bottom team in each half gets relegated with the two teams second bottom play off for the other relegation spot. Simples.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    I really don’t see the problem. I can’t see football starting again before August, probably September. Therefore finish the 2019/20 season to its right and proper conclusion under the competition rules in place when the season started.

Then start a new season with a reduced number of games, say 30 so 15 home and fifteen away. Or split the league in half and play everyone home and away then have play offs between the two halves. The two top teams get promoted and the teams 2nd and 3rd in each half go into the playoffs. The bottom team in each half gets relegated with the two teams second bottom play off for the other relegation spot. Simples.
    Not digging at you but what happens then when lower league teams have to budget for 15 home games income instead of 23, that's a third of the season's income lost with no room to extend the season because of the Euros. This is why more than anything next season has to take priority over delaying this season beyond the end of June.

The biggest problem though is nobody knows when football will resume and I agree I can't see anything being played for months yet and feel all the talk of resuming in April is very naive and arrogant from the Premier League and EFL.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Also I dont see how you can finish a season with 7/8 player changes and in some cases it could be more than that.

Obviously I know a few changes happen in January but no club has that many changes, to think how squads could look in August/September when you are saying to finish this season, they are going to be completely different.

I just dont see anything other than voiding the season.

I saw something today that said they were hoping that the lockdown was going to be over on April 13th, players could then start training again and season could resume behind closed doors a few weeks later, seems a bit hopeful to me(Can anyone actually see the lockdown ending on April 13th for a start)
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Handball outside the pen area. I was playing as goalkeeper, came rushing out & cleared the ball straight to the opposing striker. He took a quick shot & I instinctively put out my hand to stop it. I was about 5 yards outside the area. Deliberate handball & stopping a goal.scoring opportunity. This was about 30 years ago - nowadays would probably be a red card 
  • Options
    Man City have won the League Cup already, surely that wouldn't be expunged seeing that it was for a completed competition?
    Not sure how it works but surely if the season was cancelled then yes it would be expunged, as technically that season never existed.

There are non league teams who had already won promotion but will not be promoted because their seasons have been cancelled.

As an aside though, if there's a chance that the premier league and EFL will complete their seasons whenever we resume, be it June/July or even September/October, then why have non league sides jumped the gun and cancelled their seasons already?
  • Options
    Not sure how it works but surely if the season was cancelled then yes it would be expunged, as technically that season never existed.

There are non league teams who had already won promotion but will not be promoted because their seasons have been cancelled.

As an aside though, if there's a chance that the premier league and EFL will complete their seasons whenever we resume, be it June/July or even September/October, then why have non league sides jumped the gun and cancelled their seasons already?
    100%