Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ending the season early? (+++ALL GAMES CANCELLED TILL 4 APRIL+++)

Comments

• Options
    LTKapal said:
    Wonder how man Skype meetings it took to come to that conclusion.
  • Options
    LTKapal said:
    Just realized that matches were supposed to resume today. Doesn't that seem like a halcyon dream?

Is that the first official announcement they've made on the subject since shutting it down three weeks ago? 
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    LTKapal said:
    Just realized that matches were supposed to resume today. Doesn't that seem like a halcyon dream?

Is that the first official announcement they've made on the subject since shutting it down three weeks ago? 
    As far as I'm aware it is yes. 
  • Options
    Always was a desperately optimistic date to resume football, the only odd thing is that the further postponement wasn't announced until the day before football was meant to resume, instead of a week or two ago
  • Options
    Rewind 20 days ago and it might have been feasible? Although agree , very optimistic.

Today, obviously ridiculous.

It is easy to dig - not at you - but nobody knows the what and when is due to happen with Football at the moment. 

Crazy situation, so,

until further notice.... is the right decision.

As highlighted on another thread, it really isn’t very important at all atm. 

Who would have predicted this after the Boro game? 

Not me, that’s for sure.

• Options
    SDAddick said:
    LTKapal said:

I think they extended the postponement from April 3rd to April 30th first
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I see Belgium have ended their season and declared the team in top place as champions. The Belgian system is different, with play offs in previous times, but they have taken a decision. I don't know what they've done about relegation.
    Saw that Club Brugge were 15 points clear but points totals get halved for the play off round.

So effectively they'd have been 8 points clear with 10 games to go. Could've been over hauled easily.
  • Options
    Charleroi were just 1 point behind Gent in 2nd who would take the 2nd Champions League place.
    Although UEFA don’t sound to happy with that decision are don’t seem keen on Gent just being given a spot in next seasons competition without the league completed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    SDAddick said:
    LTKapal said:

Sounds like stuff might be happening...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52161561
  • Options
    Why void it? If you void anything / or alter anything.... Alter next season. Complete this one and then compromise the new season. Then that shortened (for instance) season will be what every is playing towards from game 1.

No need to void at all.
    Think they should just keep waiting and see when its safe to even resume football

No point talking about next season if we're still in lockdown come January

If thats the case and football cant resume till 2021 then we might as well complete this season
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    You could make a case that resuming it behind closed doors would be good for morale. We could watch all the games on I-follow/Valley Pass if restrictions were lifted. The problem is, if they start it and a few players contract the virus they will stop it again and that scenario is very likely sadly.
  • Options
    You could make a case that resuming it behind closed doors would be good for morale. We could watch all the games on I-follow/Valley Pass if restrictions were lifted. The problem is, if they start it and a few players contract the virus they will stop it again and that scenario is very likely sadly.
    It's a scenario which would only work if we were well over the worst of the virus, but in the period where the authorities still don't wan't large crowds to gather, so the risks to players and support staff are relatively low and hospitals not at peak capacity. 

I can't imagine such a situation existing until well into the summer.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    SDAddick said:
    LTKapal said:

I did think that's an obvious move. A lot of people have Sky, i-player etc. I'm sure Sky have the technology to be able to put ALL games on the red button, so on a Saturday you could watch your teams match whilst sitting at home. Might only be needed for a week or 2, if they restart the season in late May or early June. See if the virus has def gone by then & mass gatherings could the  be allowed.
  • Options
    Why void it? If you void anything / or alter anything.... Alter next season. Complete this one and then compromise the new season. Then that shortened (for instance) season will be what every is playing towards from game 1.

No need to void at all.
    This is what I have said all along.

Next season(what will be left of it) is going to be disrupted so play this one to a finish.

Either way, titles/promotion/relegation cannot be decided by current standings.
  • Options
    Isn't the biggest problem with waiting indefinitely to finish the season going to be all the out of contract players come June? Technically couldn't Jonny Williams sign for Hull then play against us? Teams will have a very different look to them. 
  • Options
    Indeed lots of legal issues, also some clubs are changing kit providers and shirt sponsors.
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Isn't the biggest problem with waiting indefinitely to finish the season going to be all the out of contract players come June? Technically couldn't Jonny Williams sign for Hull then play against us? Teams will have a very different look to them. 
    An option can be to extend contracts?
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Sure but take our current situation where players might not be paid, who'd want to extend with us? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Talal said:
    Talal said:
    Sure but take our current situation where players might not be paid, who'd want to extend with us? 
    With all the ifs, ands and maybes the only (not satisfactory)solution then would be to cancel the season.
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Talal said:
    With all the ifs, ands and maybes the only (not satisfactory)solution then would be to cancel the season.
    Not ideal but I think it's the fairest way. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    SDAddick said:
    LTKapal said:

Really don’t see the point in this at all. If you’re gonna play behind closed doors, just play the games at 5pm. 
  • Options
    April 4th today ....... our unbeaten run continues.

Even Millwall couldn't beat us today.

• Options
    se9addick said:
    SDAddick said:
    LTKapal said:

Really don’t see the point in this at all. If you’re gonna play behind closed doors, just play the games at 5pm. 
    Why 5pm?
  • Options
    Think the problem is , that if you start football up - there’s going to be idiots that try and go to games...
    if you televise it, people will try and watch it whilst drinking together... 

if you try to continue the season, players will be out of contract in a month or twos time.

what I think people haven’t thought of , is that tv money for next season will be non existent for a long period of this current season continues- financially hitting a lot of clubs who depend on it to run! 

Added to this, contracts for sponsors etc will be in chaos, as will player contracts.

think aswell a big problem in re-starting this season is that players will need a month or two to get back to ‘match fitness’ - so realistically even if a season was able to restart , players won’t be ready regardless! 
  • Options
    Liverpool next to furlough staff. I've always been in favour of voiding the season but now they genuinely don't deserve the title. 
  • Options
    It's good to see Jamie Carragher speaking out against Liverpool's actions, too many of the football pundits seem afraid to criticise the clubs

• Options
    It is a good result in terms of us no longer feeling sorry for them. I mean, it is ridiculous to feel sorry for a club that virtually stole Gomez from us anyway.
  • Options
    It is a good result in terms of us no longer feeling sorry for them. I mean, it is ridiculous to feel sorry for a club that virtually stole Gomez from us anyway.
    Exactly, should be easier to make the season null and void now, no title for Liverpool.

And if the TV companies aren't happy they didn't get to show all the games they weren't entitled to just allow them to show extra games next season to make up for this season's lost televised games.