Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ending the season early? (+++ALL GAMES CANCELLED TILL 4 APRIL+++)

Comments

• Options
    It is a good result in terms of us no longer feeling sorry for them. I mean, it is ridiculous to feel sorry for a club that virtually stole Gomez from us anyway.
    Fans have not felt sorry for them since 1985.
  • Options
    Why can’t football players be furloughed too? They’d get the maximum of £2,500 per month. Might make them realise how lucky they are.
  • Options
    Can't believe the PFA are now coming out with the classic line of  "if our players lose 30% of their wages, the NHS (through the  tax-man)is going to be hurt too"
  • Options
    Can't believe the PFA are now coming out with the classic line of  "if our players lose 30% of their wages, the NHS (through the  tax-man)is going to be hurt too"
    Yes, by that logic we should be dancing in the streets every time a Goldman Sachs executive gets a £1m bonus, due to all the tax he'll be paying!
  • Options
    The Scum are saying that Footballers are refusing to take paycuts because it'll be the owners of the clubs not the NHS that'll benefit from it
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    The Scum are saying that Footballers are refusing to take paycuts because it'll be the owners of the clubs not the NHS that'll benefit from it
    I don’t think it’s about the NHS benefiting - more normal non-playing staff being able to stay in full employment 
  • Options
    I think they have a point. 
  • Options
    I don’t think it’s about the NHS benefiting - more normal non-playing staff being able to stay in full employment 
    But Footballers taking a paycut wont make the owner give full pay to the other staff though will they? - They're going to see it as a win win situation solely for themselves

Instead of Footballers being pressured it should be the Premier League owners who receive the brunt of this, all that prize money, all that tv money yet still cant pay non-playing staff their full amount?

Why??? 
  • Options
    Fine

Footballers publicly say "we take a pay cut to help pay for the club to afford to pay for the support staff" on condition that no PL clubs use the government Furlough scheme or lay any staff off

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    If we are due a financial bonus from the Gomez transfer if Liverpool get the title then I hope it is somehow awarded to them.
  • Options
    City not furloughing anyone, and I don’t see the point in them cutting players wages, as they can comfortably afford it

https://www.skysports.com/share/11968906
  • Options
    The season needs to be declared over now in order to give certainty and allow for forward planning.
    The fairest solution would be to increase the size of the higher Divisions by two for next season only.
    End of next season, increase relegation places by two, to bring it back to normal.
    No relegations for this season. 
    Taking us for example, it would be completely unfair to relegate us considering we had not occupied a relegation spot until the very last game.
    Either that, or base it on average league positions throughout the season, then promote and relegate as normal.

• Options
    The season needs to be declared over now in order to give certainty and allow for forward planning.
    The fairest solution would be to increase the size of the higher Divisions by two for next season only.
    End of next season, increase relegation places by two, to bring it back to normal.
    Taking us for example, it would be completely unfair to relegate us considering we had not occupied a relegation spot until the very last game.
    Either that, or base it on average league positions throughout the season, then promote and relegate as normal.

Does that mean if a team only gets to top place on the last game they aren’t champions?
  • Options
    iainment said:

Does that mean if a team only gets to top place on the last game they aren’t champions?
    Think your missing the point here. 

There are many variables one being, that there are alot of games to be played. 

Regardless there is no easy solution to this issue and there's bound to be a club somewhere that feel hard done by. 
  • Options
    Fine

Footballers publicly say "we take a pay cut to help pay for the club to afford to pay for the support staff" on condition that no PL clubs use the government Furlough scheme or lay any staff off

^^ exactly. 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Things will be changed after this. Those that have more are you going to have to pay more to re-build the economy. 
    Nurses, shop assistants, dustman, delivery drives, pickers on farms, production line workers etc are on the front line risking their and their families lives. We can’t expect them to pay a higher % of their wages to foot the bill.
  • Options
    Whilst i'm quite sure all can afford it, surely clubs should've been consulted and then something agreed depending on what a player earns. Seems a bit silly that an established player earning 200k will pay the same % as perhaps a young player coming through who's on 10k a week.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Burnley chairman Mike Garlick has warned they will go bust in August if the football lockdown has not ended by then.

The Clarets boss revealed they stand to lose £50MILLION if the current season is cancelled and said the situation is so dire that his club — one of the best run in the top flight — will be potless later this summer unless the deadly Covid-19 pandemic has eased by then.

He said: “The fact of the matter is, if we don’t finish the season and there isn’t a clear start date for next season, we, as a club, will run out of money by August. That is a fact.

I can’t speak for other clubs, I don’t know their financial positions. All I can speak for us our club and our position.

That’s why we’re very determined that when of course it is safe to do so, we really want to finish this season.”

• Options
    August? My company will run out of funds by end April. Sure many other companies have run out of money already and all those employees and families affected.

It is very easy to pick up on one sentence but August is not on many businesses radar at the moment.

Not digging out the Burnley Chairman, every one is looking at themselves with microscopic eyes. Hope they get through and the vast majority of football clubs do. Whoever they are. Well.....

When we get out of this, football will be a welcome and great distraction for millions.
  • Options
    BR3red said:
    August? My company will run out of funds by end April. Sure many other companies have run out of money already and all those employees and families affected.

It is very easy to pick up on one sentence but August is not on many businesses radar at the moment.

Not digging out the Burnley Chairman, every one is looking at themselves with microscopic eyes. Hope they get through and the vast majority of football clubs do. Whoever they are. Well.....

When we get out of this, football will be a welcome and great distraction for millions.
    At the moment I couldn’t give a shit about football ... as you say, many companies will be screwed well before August. 

Football millionaires? Not exactly something I care about. 
  • Options
    Bayern Munich are due to start training today, something I find very surprising.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/apr/05/bayern-munich-to-return-to-training-small-groups-bundesliga
  • Options
    Being reported as the EFLs current plan 
  • Options
    Utter bonkers madness.

This is driven by the likes of Peter Ridsdale at Preston who'll do anything to get the season finished while so many teams have a chance at the play offs. 

Can't wait for the lockdown to be extended to debunk these crazy ideas. Football really does live in it's own bubble.
  • Options
    To be honest I thought it could be done in less - in theory you could play 8 games in 28 days and then add another 3. The question is still whether there there will be time. It makes sense to have a plan but if you play too early, what happens when a few players get the virus?  Do you stop it all again? It really does need to be thought through.