Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ending the season early? (+++ALL GAMES CANCELLED TILL 4 APRIL+++)

Comments

• Options
    shine166 said:
    I'm beginning to wonder if there is any point even starting next season, will be in this exact same position In the winter when wave 2 hits. 
    Fear you may be correct about the second wave. We are missing the beautiful game but fighting this pandemic MUST take priority and IMHO it's pointless 'planning' for the resumption of football. I understand the 'unfairness' of teams being robbed of winning cups, leagues and promotion etc but when it does resume we will have to start afresh - no promotion or relegation. Anything else will be too complicated. 
  • Options
    I don't think any decisions can be made until everyone is back at work & normality (to a certain extent) has resumed. That includes a period of no further outbreaks & the experts believe the virus has gone

Then we can see what month we are in & where we can get to. It might be finish the season or it might be scrap it. 

Until then there is no point in trying to decide on anything. 
  • Options
    I don't think any decisions can be made until everyone is back at work & normality (to a certain extent) has resumed. That includes a period of no further outbreaks & the experts believe the virus has gone

Then we can see what month we are in & where we can get to. It might be finish the season or it might be scrap it. 

The Premier league (and football in general) often operates outside of what is classed as normal though.

The Premier league will try to do whatever they can to get games played because of the money clubs stand to lose if they don't.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

The Premier league will try to do whatever they can to get games played because of the money clubs stand to lose if they don't.

This. Remember, folks ....... it's the Premier League: it's a bit about football, but mostly it's about money.

If the scousers are to win the title hopefully it will be behind closed doors.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    The 3 National League divisions have been suspended indefinitely.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52092442
  • Options
    Our league it would be the shittest luck and some up Charlton, we haven't been in the relegation all season and league gets suspended. IF that happens surely it should be void because there will be riots lol
  • Options
    Our league it would be the shittest luck and some up Charlton, we haven't been in the relegation all season and league gets suspended. IF that happens surely it should be void because there will be riots lol
    There is no way they will decide the season ends with the current positions . That would cause them most grief. 
  • Options
    The 3 National League divisions have been suspended indefinitely.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52092442
    Is the right answer ..... for now.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    No mention of Charlton............

https://youtu.be/QpiN_VFzWd8

:-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Deary deary me...
  • Options
    edited April 2020

Before anyone gets carried away remember the date today.

Edit:I didn't even get to the part about the SPL, Apparently there is something on there that makes it obvious its an April Fools Prank so I probably didnt need to point this out, but just incase like me the young lad annoys you so much that you turn it off before it gets to the SPL and miss that obvious clue
  • Options
    Anyone who's been following the Shenanigans thread or the Bitesize will have spotted something in the EFL bit that'll make them go "Hmmmm".
  • Options

These two clowns are so plastic.
  • Options
    Agree, started the video, heard his voice and thought no, just turn it off.
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Say things are ok by November then teams can play their remaining 9/10 and the play offs by the end of January. Scrap the 20/21 season.

Then have a break or play friendlies, pencil in the Euros for April/May. Teams can then start their preseason for 21/22.

Main problem with that is we don't have any idea when things will return normal.

Agree with you play the remaining games 2019/2020 when things are back to normal...If that is in nov/dec 2020 so be it.

Start 2020/2021 season in end of Jan 2021run for 4months then stop season so Euros can be played.Restart games after Euros and play all remaining games so league is played to a finish by Dec 21

Start season 2021/2022 in feb and play full season,..WORLD CUP 22 is played in Dec 22.

Do not ask me how we get football season to run again from Aug to May no idea but the above would help FIFA to run World Cup 2022 WITHOUT closing all football down.
  • Options
    In rugby, Newcastle have been promoted from the Championship to the Premiership, despite not being mathematically certain, which is an interesting decision.

The Rugby Football Union said on Thursday the Championship table would be decided by a "best playing record formula", with Falcons having won all 15 of their league games in 2019-20.

But the Championship's second-placed side Ealing, who were 18 points behind the Falcons with a game in hand, having played 14 of the scheduled 22 league games, have said they would take legal advice should they be denied the chance to win promotion.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/52133983
  • Options
    I think they should try to complete the league (even though we'd be at risk of going down...) for fairness but then I guess how long do you give that?

Or do the clubs want to start next season and get the TV revenue in.

Whatever happens someone won't like and we will probably see legal cases galore.

More importantly hope you are all keeping well and probably got the play-off final on a loop!
    Nice to hear from you Super_horns.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The problem with trying to squeeze the end of the season in behind closed doors is that is looking incredibly problematic. Say you re-start in June and after a week or two players start contracting the illness, which at the moment looks a probable outcome, then the season closes again. I really can't see it being completed.
  • Options
    I see Belgium have ended their season and declared the team in top place as champions. The Belgian system is different, with play offs in previous times, but they have taken a decision. I don't know what they've done about relegation.
  • Options
    You’ll never beat Millwall 😉

Gonna not go for my 1 exercise walk today , so shut myself in for the extra time and get the full match effect.
  • Options
    Interesting last 2 paragraphs on BBC article today: 

“Of more consequence for the major leagues is the massive financial hit taken by Ligue 1 after their domestic rights holders Canal+ and beIN Sports confirmed an intention to withhold the latest payment, which was due on 5 April.

Should France, Italy or Spain close their leagues down for the season, that is likely to have far reaching consequences for the game given, together with England, 16 out of the 28 teams remaining in the Champions or Europa Leagues come from one of those four countries.”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52140204

• Options
    The young kid is one of the most annoying human beings i've ever seen. Painful to watch.
    Went to the same plastic surgeon as Leslie Ash.