Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ending the season early? (+++ALL GAMES CANCELLED TILL 4 APRIL+++)

Comments

• Options
    Croydon said:
    Players, physios, coaches, analysts, refs, linos, assistant ref, kit man, S&C coach, nutritionist. 

Just some of who will be present for each and every match. Who the fuck do the footballing powers think they are to be better than social distancing. Assume each game would need an ambulance in attendance too? Not like they've got anything better to be doing right now. The game is rotten, this is for nothing more than keeping pockets lined. They couldn't give a toss for the integrity of the game or the fans, no matter what their statements say.
    It’s not just them - they’ll need security, because saying it’s behind closed doors won’t stop people turning up. Transport/hotels as someone else mentioned. If the plan is to televise it, you’ll need camera crews. If anyone breaks a bone, they will need to go to an overworked hospital. 

And then a player on a team comes down with COVID, and the whole team, and probably the last team they played need to go back into quarantine for 14 days, losing at least 4 games. 

I also assume local authorities and police forces will still have the power to shut this down, regardless of what the EFL wants. 
    That for me is why it will never get finished IF the season is ever restarted. For all the plans and rumours I've read and heard I haven't yet heard of one that deals with this issue. If it is true that this virus stays with us for as long as some experts think it will there will absolutely come a point when someone connected with a team has the virus. So what then? Surely that whole team cannot play and depending on when it happens possibly the team they played recently. So what we have another break for a coupe of weeks and hope no one else tests positive? Those teams forfeit a fixture? I can't see any logical way round it.

Let's face it we all know why they are persisting with this farce and also the same reason the non league season has been cancelled. I also suspect that the vast majority of the FA, PL and EFL chiefs know that it won't go ahead and are delaying having to tell their sponsors about the cancellation.
  • Options
    Yes, it's a massive difference from a normal situation where if a player goes down with say the flu, everything continues as normal.

And it doesn't just have to be a player, it could be anyone in near contact with them such as a physio or the kitman or even the coach driver
  • Options
    The football could carry on with a dispensation to not self isolate etc (would be ridiculous in my view), but if they tried that then it would give carte blanche for everyone to play team games (if we're all in it together).
  • Options

Eintracht Frankfurt midfielder Gelson Fernandes says players "feel lucky" to be back in training and he thinks the Bundesliga could restart in late May.

The Bundesliga, halted on 13 March, will not resume before 30 April.

"When we come back, it will be behind closed doors," said Fernandes.

"I think that will be in late May. It's impossible to think that in June, July, August, we'd be playing in front of 50,000 people. That would be wrong," the former Manchester City player, 33, told the BBC's Sportsworld.

He says three or four Eintracht Frankfurt players caught coronavirus and they all had to self isolate for 14 days.

They are currently training in groups of three or four and are not allowed contact with each other - working only on passing and shooting drills. Only three players are allowed in each dressing room and they cannot use the gym.

"It's nice to be on the pitch but we are being careful - washing hands and everything - and we feel lucky," said Fernandes. "That's the only way we can keep doing our jobs.

He also said players will need "three or four weeks" to get ready for the season to resume "or there will be injuries".

Bundesliga chief executive Christian Seifert said plans were being put in place for games to return by the beginning of May, with the remaining nine games of the season to be completed by the end of June.

Seifert said matches would be played behind closed doors and shown on television.

Fernandes said players will not be happy to finish the season without fans but are aware their "wages are secured by TV rights".

"Playing behind closed doors is not nice but we have to do it. It's not football but the interests are too big for us to not play," he added.

• Options
    Scottish league predictably turning a difficult situation into a farce now.
  • Options
    Yes, the problem is if you allow other factors other than basic common sense to lead you. Football have a few things they put above common sense, the main one being money. When you allow any other factor into your decision, you end up having World Cups in Qatar.
  • Options
    Becoming dangerous close to end for a number of clubs

https://www.skysports.com/share/11973696
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The fact that clubs are thinking about foloughing players who are on £5k per week and above, where the self employed who earn £1k per week cant get ANY help from the state is abhorrent. 

If you signed a player for £40k per week on a 3year contract then honour it. If you go bust then tough. 
  • Options
    If the football starts again I hope that each and every member of the FA will be required to attend a match on any day a match takes place, and shake the hand of everyone in attendance.

That should thin the old buggers out.
  • Options

Premier League clubs will discuss the option of putting a 30 June deadline on the 2019-20 season at a meeting on Friday.

Not all clubs have been involved in informal discussions at this stage but, with a hoped-for May resumption to the season unlikely, club owners are looking at how to avoid potentially difficult contractual situations.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52307147

• Options

Premier League clubs will discuss the option of putting a 30 June deadline on the 2019-20 season at a meeting on Friday.

Not all clubs have been involved in informal discussions at this stage but, with a hoped-for May resumption to the season unlikely, club owners are looking at how to avoid potentially difficult contractual situations.

Should have been the first thing to discuss weeks ago rather than aiming for unrealistic dates in April
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Rick Parry at the EFL has written to all fans... Without a doubt games will return behind closed doors yet will be available on iFollow etc.

https://www.cafc.co.uk/uploads/51d3a205200c31c7837c85512a080fc0
  • Options
    Read that determined to finish season which is a relief after Scottish fiasco.
  • Options
    edited April 2020

English Football League plans to stream all remaining games online

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52317944
  • Options
    A shame that the scousers will win the league, although at least their fans will not see them win it.
  • Options

The Premier League didn't discuss the 30th June date at today's "meeting". In line with UEFA & the EFL the are just saying that want to re-start the season when possible. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2020
    ross1 said:

English Football League plans to stream all remaining games online

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52317944
    Wonder if we'll have to pay for these games or not

If we do have to pay it then raises the question if Season Tickets holders are exempt from paying or whether we'll simply get a refund for games behind closed doors

Although with the current situation at Charlton I wouldnt hold my breath at getting a refund from this lot
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Becoming dangerous close to end for a number of clubs

https://www.skysports.com/share/11973696
    So the owners, who have the power to direct the EFL to do something, are complaining that the EFL isn’t doing enough. Or are they saying they want something, but they are a minority of the owners, so the EFL should ignore the majority who want something different?
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52322321

Nottingham Forest defender Joe Worrall has threatened strike action if the Championship season was cancelled without promotion or relegation.
    "If they null and void the season, I'd strike 100%," Worrall, 23, told BBC Radio Nottingham.
    "We are in the play-off spots and doing so well for goodness sake. It's non-negotiable, they can't null and void the season."
    Yeah, it's non-negotiable Joe. There are precedents. When a match can't be completed, everything is null and void. When a league can't be completed, everything is null and void.  And here's the thing, if they cancel they league there won't be any matches for you to strike in.  Grow up.  
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    I would expect the games to cost £10 unless you are abroad where it will be £5. Same as midweek games before the virus.
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52322321

Nottingham Forest defender Joe Worrall has threatened strike action if the Championship season was cancelled without promotion or relegation.
    "If they null and void the season, I'd strike 100%," Worrall, 23, told BBC Radio Nottingham.
    "We are in the play-off spots and doing so well for goodness sake. It's non-negotiable, they can't null and void the season."
    Awe bless you cosseted moneyed up spoilt sportsman you...
    Well said ... too many of these footballers have no fucking idea of what so many people are going through ... total tossers. 
  • Options
    When it’s back you’ll be back, you can’t just fall out of love with it.