Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Living with Corona virus - sufferers thread

Was putting off starting this and sink if not appropriate, but it seems inevitable that people will be directly affected by this.

Maybe a thread for those who have or whose close friends and families have contracted it. How they are feeling. Help available etc.

Wading through the original thread may become difficult.

I'll start. I've felt lousy since Friday. No cough or fever. Sneezing uncontrollably in the evenings. Fuzzy head so not concerned yet.

Comments

• Was putting off starting this and sink if not appropriate, but it seems inevitable that people will be directly affected by this.

Maybe a thread for those who have or whose close friends and families have contracted it. How they are feeling. Help available etc.

I'll start. I've felt lousy since Friday. No cough or fever. Sneezing uncontrollably in the evenings. Fuzzy head so not concerned yet.
    Did you get positively tested?
  • I started getting a runny nose Friday, which is not a C-19 symptom at all. Got a bit alarmed when on Sunday my temperature started to rise, but it "peaked" at 37.8 (100.1) which again is below the threshold for any kind of C-19 alarm. This morning it is back to normal and it looks like a normal and slight cold. 

We have to remember that "other viruses are available" but I think it will still be a useful thread. I suppose we could be encouraged by the knowledge that no Lifer has so far confirmed that he/she has been diagnosed with it.
  • Was putting off starting this and sink if not appropriate, but it seems inevitable that people will be directly affected by this.

Should people be getting tested at the first signs? I'm not in the age vulnerable category. I was planning on just staying in until it passes if/when I did have matching symptoms.

Should people be getting tested at the first signs? I'm not in the age vulnerable category. I was planning on just staying in until it passes if/when I did have matching symptoms.
    It will be almost impossible to get tested.

So it’s much more statistically likely to be a cold, a flu, another Coronavirus strain etc.....

Such a small proportion of people suffering from symptoms like this will have Covid19

Problem is that it’s gonna be loads of people with a cold sharing what it’s like to have a cold.

Ive had tonnes of people on my social saying they have Coronavirus. Why that and not any one of hundreds of other more widespread viruses?

So it’s much more statistically likely to be a cold, a flu, another Coronavirus strain etc.....

Such a small proportion of people suffering from symptoms like this will have Covid19

Problem is that it’s gonna be loads of people with a cold sharing what it’s like to have a cold.

Ive had tonnes of people on my social saying they have Coronavirus. Why that and not any one of hundreds of other more widespread viruses?
    If you don't have a fever I would say it was highly unlikely to be coronavirus. Plenty of other viruses, cold, hayfever etc available.
  • I started getting a runny nose Friday, which is not a C-19 symptom at all. Got a bit alarmed when on Sunday my temperature started to rise, but it "peaked" at 37.8 (100.1) which again is below the threshold for any kind of C-19 alarm. This morning it is back to normal and it looks like a normal and slight cold. 

We have to remember that "other viruses are available" but I think it will still be a useful thread. I suppose we could be encouraged by the knowledge that no Lifer has so far confirmed that he/she has been diagnosed with it.
    I think it is next to impossible to get tested currently.  Was listening to the radio yesterday where a lady said her grandfather died of Covid19 and they only found out 3 days after he died that he had it as he was in hospital for other reasons.  Despite the family being by his bedside and 3 now showing symptoms including the ladies 3 year old daughter who has a complex heart problem they have been refused tests and told they are not available unless you are critical...
  • Sponsored links:

• Sorry if I confused people. I don't think for one minute that I have it, although if I ventured out into the public I'd probably make people run for the hills with my sneezing fits! And that I suppose is a problem in itself.

Anyhow, my initial thought for starting this was to get insights from people that have first hand experience.

I think it is next to impossible to get tested currently.  Was listening to the radio yesterday where a lady said her grandfather died of Covid19 and they only found out 3 days after he died that he had it as he was in hospital for other reasons.  Despite the family being by his bedside and 3 now showing symptoms including the ladies 3 year old daughter who has a complex heart problem they have been refused tests and told they are not available unless you are critical...
    Heard this on Radio 5 - sounds pretty dire. Surely they should be tested?
  • Sorry if I confused people. I don't think for one minute that I have it, although if I ventured out into the public I'd probably make people run for the hills with my sneezing fits! And that I suppose is a problem in itself.

Anyhow, my initial thought for starting this was to get insights from people that have first hand experience.
    A noble intention, I think you’ve probably just started a thread for general Coronavirus bants though! 
  • I was going to suggest the "Miscellaneous Lurgy" thread, as some of us are physically incapable of having ManFlu :-). Either that or the Darren Anderton Tribute Act Society, but that reference really dates me...
  • A close friends colleague apparently had it.

Said it was like normal flu apart from his chest feeling like it was in a vice.

• Hex said:
    Was putting off starting this and sink if not appropriate, but it seems inevitable that people will be directly affected by this.

Hay Fever (tree pollen) ?
    Sneezing can spread coronavirus but don't think the symptoms are that you sneeze a lot - that is more like a cold. But I@m not an expert :)
  • Hex said:

Hay Fever (tree pollen) ?
    Sneezing can spread coronavirus but don't think the symptoms are that you sneeze a lot - that is more like a cold. But I@m not an expert :)
    Seems to be a lot of conflicting advice over symptoms.
  • Sponsored links:

• A friend of mine was tested positive yesterday, fortunately not seen him in about a month. So far he says he's just feeling a bit run down. Body aching a bit & slightly elevated temp. He's 45, no health conditions but does smoke like a trooper.
  • Oggy Red said:
    This was the advice I was going from but my GP who I spoke to this morning seemed a little less specific. I suffer from asthma and could do without contracting it.

I've just read the 'chest feeling like it was in a vice' bit and immediately felt like my chest was in a vice. There's nothing physically wrong with me but I'm so scared I'll get it that I'll :( probably die from stress first :(

I've just read the 'chest feeling like it was in a vice' bit and immediately felt like my chest was in a vice. There's nothing physically wrong with me but I'm so scared I'll get it that I'll :( probably die from stress first :(
    Check your temp - I'm sure that will calm you.
  • But which foot is best? 😱
  • edited March 2020
    Got a cold that's been coming and going for a couple of weeks, just a head cold, so runny nose, sneezing - both not symptoms of coronavirus thankfully and only the occasional clearing of the throat cough. But have felt rubbish for a couple of days, then feel relatively fine for a few days then feel rubbish and head coldy for a couple of days again. Making me a bit fed up, and a little concerned with recent events. Felt rubbish yesterday, feel okay-ish now. 
  • PaddyP17 said:
    I started getting a runny nose Friday, which is not a C-19 symptom at all. Got a bit alarmed when on Sunday my temperature started to rise, but it "peaked" at 37.8 (100.1) which again is below the threshold for any kind of C-19 alarm. This morning it is back to normal and it looks like a normal and slight cold. 

Was listening to this as well. While no doubt absolutely heartbreaking that this was the case, I suspect her use of language in terms of those now with symptoms was medically inaccurate.

First - testing for Covid-19 is both expensive and in a lot of ways, pretty useless. Knowing whether someone has it after the fact doesn't do very much, especially when the family are known to have been in close contact with a carrier. So they should be self-isolating as a precaution regardless.

Should their symptoms develop - equally, we do not have a "cure" (or vaccine), and all treatment is supportive and symptomatic. As for "critical", this is a term used with a very serious definition in medical terms (i.e. threat to life is present and we must combat this ASAP, generally speaking). I work with medical professionals and personally know a few doctors: testing would happen comfortably before a critical diagnosis.

I think use of hyperbolic language is really really unhelpful when it comes to coronavirus. We are hearing all sorts of scare stories and being whipped up into hysteria through media. That's not to say this is nothing to worry about - it absolutely is, and we should be taking sensible precautions. But the rhetoric is reinforcing a state of panic and we collectively need to calm down so we can approach this rationally and seriously with our best foot forward.
    If they've just lost a relative to Covid19 and have been in close attendance then I would expect them to be tested or at least offer them the option? It might help them with what must be a very difficult time.

A minority of medical professionals can sometimes be incredibly callous and insensitive.
  • More concerned with economic impact, work has dried up, and although I should be ok for the next month or so, if this continues (it will) and i can't get any work through the door I'm going to be in a little bit of trouble
  • PaddyP17 said:
    I started getting a runny nose Friday, which is not a C-19 symptom at all. Got a bit alarmed when on Sunday my temperature started to rise, but it "peaked" at 37.8 (100.1) which again is below the threshold for any kind of C-19 alarm. This morning it is back to normal and it looks like a normal and slight cold. 

Was listening to this as well. While no doubt absolutely heartbreaking that this was the case, I suspect her use of language in terms of those now with symptoms was medically inaccurate.

First - testing for Covid-19 is both expensive and in a lot of ways, pretty useless. Knowing whether someone has it after the fact doesn't do very much, especially when the family are known to have been in close contact with a carrier. So they should be self-isolating as a precaution regardless.

Should their symptoms develop - equally, we do not have a "cure" (or vaccine), and all treatment is supportive and symptomatic. As for "critical", this is a term used with a very serious definition in medical terms (i.e. threat to life is present and we must combat this ASAP, generally speaking). I work with medical professionals and personally know a few doctors: testing would happen comfortably before a critical diagnosis.

I think use of hyperbolic language is really really unhelpful when it comes to coronavirus. We are hearing all sorts of scare stories and being whipped up into hysteria through media. That's not to say this is nothing to worry about - it absolutely is, and we should be taking sensible precautions. But the rhetoric is reinforcing a state of panic and we collectively need to calm down so we can approach this rationally and seriously with our best foot forward.
    If they've just lost a relative to Covid19 and have been in close attendance then I would expect them to be tested or at least offer them the option? It might help them with what must be a very difficult time.

A minority of medical professionals can sometimes be incredibly callous and insensitive.
    Shame they're the ones on the front line more often than not in my experience when someone is dying eagerly telling you what you are not allowed to do and why they've done all that they can.