Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Anyone else zoned out on all things Charlton and football?

Just can’t get my head around being interested at the moment. 

For example, Im 1.2k posts behind the bonkers thread, 400 behind the season ending early etc. 

Not or sure whether it’s work or the virus backdrop, but since this has all escalated and knowing there’s no football in the next few months, I’ve temporarily lost all interest to even bother reading about it.

am I alone in this or have others been experiencing the same?

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Same here Charlton wise . I'm missing live sport tremendously ( especially the cricket) but all things Charlton nah . the break has come at a good time.
  • Options
    Agree. Just feels like it's all irrelevant right now. Other than poor Seb. ❤️ You're right, the break has come at a good time.
  • Options
    My interest is less. However I try to be interested as the real news is so depressing and not good for my mental health. 
  • Options
    Constant kicks in the teeth, don't need the negativity mate, I think that's what it is. 

It's a scandal what some have been allowed to get away with, just a farce.

If the club or owners can't control that and there has been no repercussions there never will. 
  • Options
    same here, apart from working and trying to keep the kids entertained - I'm knackered by the evening, totally forgotten about football (and CAFC) really.

fully expect this season to be declared null and void
  • Options
    Same, no interest in football at all but have renewed interest in cycling.
  • Options
    Lost a lot of interested in football. Feels like that period of the year between season finishing and waiting for the fixture list to be released (after a poor season). Only catching up on podcasts, Charlton Life/ football daily  when out exercising in the evenings.
  • Options
    Still reading and occasionally posting but struggling to care about any sport atm.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Don't think there is any alternative other than scrapping the season. I would go so far as to say there is no degree of certainty as to whether next season will start in August. The financial outcome for so many clubs doesn't bear thinking about. As for Charlton it seems to  me we are once again in the hands of by unscrupulous individuals. 
  • Options
    There's enough negative stuff going on in the world right now to deal with, without dealing with another kick in the knackers from Charlton's latest debacle.

That said, I'm still enjoying Peter Crouch's podcast and the MOTD podcasts are entertaining.
  • Options
    Just can’t get my head around being interested at the moment. 

For example, Im 1.2k posts behind the bonkers thread, 400 behind the season ending early etc. 

Not or sure whether it’s work or the virus backdrop, but since this has all escalated and knowing there’s no football in the next few months, I’ve temporarily lost all interest to even bother reading about it.

am I alone in this or have others been experiencing the same?

Totally this.  After losing Seb last week and hearing of people I know in real difficulty health wise and others who face a tough time financially in the coming months it has really hit home. 

Whilst I miss football and Charlton, I'm not anywhere near as interested about it as I usually would be.

• Options
    Iikewise, lost interest in football and the shenanigans at Charlton. My only concerns are for the staff and players, l think we might have heard if they weren’t paid this month by now so I’m assuming they were. Other than that, it’s beyond my control so I’m not going to allow it to drag me down. I think the season will be cancelled, I believe they were testing the water by cancelling the lower leagues and it’s just a matter of time before it filters up the leagues. 

• Options
    Strange times. I have two nagging anxieties. One is we might not have a club by the time football resumes. Airman himself is expecting administration by end of May if I read and understood him right (shenanigans, page 293). This connects to the second issue- charlton life itself- lose the club and this forum wouldn't sustain in the same form.

I think we have to stay connected to the club and the detail of what's going on as best we can, more than ever really, or we will lose it before we have realised whatever it is we could do to influence the outcomes. That wouldnt include spouted nutjob conspiracy theories but sticking with the facts and trying to back the right horse at the right time (at the very least!), using the media, and getting in the ear of the EFL when it matters.
  • Options
    Yeah, little bit...more each day...
    Should be good for you though boss, in the current climate people are relying on their IT systems even more, it’s great the work that you’re doing keeping people connected 👍🏻
  • Options
    I opted out of the shenanigans thread ages ago. Just couldn't keep up and work has only gotten much busier since so I'm reliant on @aliwibble and his bite size bulletins. Much appreciated but none of it is good news and is just adding to my general malaise and anxiety. 

I tried watching the MOTD thing they've been putting on but finding it hard to focus on much tbh. 
  • Options
    All over the take over but realise not a lot will is going to happen for the next couple of weeks due to the virus, so wind taken out the sails a little bit.

• Options
    Very honest post @AFKABartram .. I have Just had to get into a totally different mindset .. I realise how much of my life was devoted to sport .. all day most Saturdays either at a game or watching football then racing, then more football/rugby until about 7 p.m. .. Sunday, football in the afternoon .. Monday/Tuesday evenings .. 
    The irony is of course, now that I have all this spare time, I am forbidden to get out and about and enjoy it .. me and millions of others.

Puzzles, games, books, TV, Dvds, gardening, exercising as much as possible, keeping more in touch with family and friends are my new fixations .. thing is, I have doubts if football and other sport will ever again hold the same fascination for me after this is all done.
  • Options
    It gets depressing hearing about corona all the time so I do still look at the shenanigans thread, only to then remember that's almost as depressing too. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm the same to the extent that I'm almost surprised how important it was to me just a few weeks back. That said, I've been enjoying watching the occasional footie documentary and looking forward to the Sunderland thing tomorrow. 

Shankley's maxim has been completely disproved by the virus. 
  • Options
    I'm really missing sport, the sheer escapism of being taken away from everyday life, and filling your mind with missed penalties, great goals, fantastic bowling etc, at a time when we really need some sort of escapism. A summer without the Euros, Wimbledon, the Olympics, Test matches etc is a depressing prospect. I never had Sky though, so in a way my life was never completely dominated by TV sport

I'm zoned out of the ownership thread, I'm just letting that play itself out. It is what it is...
  • Options
    I am the same AFKA, many more important things to think about and keep me occupied now. I dip in an out of here but nothing like I used to do. It is out of our hands what is going on behind the scenes at the club so what will be will be.

I am working 5 x days a week from home now in an effort to help the company I "consult" for survive, however I am not sure how long that will last if they scale back to save money. Plus my wife has been sent the "claim pack" for her loss of business insurance and it looks like you need a masters degree in all sorts of things to understand it so that will keep us occupied for a week or two.

Football....nah.

• Options
    Absolutely spot on. I really have. Family and friends so much more important at the minute. Club heading for administration and best to let them get on with it and fight it out in court.
  • Options
    Think the way many of us live our lives will never be the same again. I haven't had a season ticket for a few years now for various reasons - and honestly I don't want to spend every other weekend away from my family at a football match when I dont see them enough during the week as it is. Only benefit of the lockdown is we are spending proper time together as a family for the first time in too long.
  • Options
    I think that sport in general has lost interest for most. If you are a watcher you have nothing to watch. If you are a supporter you have nothing to support. If you are a player you can't play. 

My son has been hitting 300-400 cricket balls a week for the last 6 months to improve himself and in preparation for the new cricket season from over 50 sessions in that time - and the realisation that he might not play a single game this season is a massive disappointment. But it is one that he understands because he is not unique in this respect.

In normal circumstances, sport can be a distraction from day to day issues. But when those issues become bigger and there are no distractions, there is no escape from them for some. That is really sad and also the very reason we need to all pull together.
  • Options
    addick19 said:
    Don't think there is any alternative other than scrapping the season. I would go so far as to say there is no degree of certainty as to whether next season will start in August. The financial outcome for so many clubs doesn't bear thinking about. As for Charlton it seems to  me we are once again in the hands of by unscrupulous individuals. 

The season may well start in August.............2020.
  • Options
    A combination of concentrating on keeping businesses ticking over, teaching my kids and trying to avoid the poxy virus (I'm a diabetic with high blood pressure) and I just don't have time for football at the moment

Really not fussed with it at all at the moment.
  • Options
    Yeah i'm missing cricket a heck of a lot more than i'm missing football. Supporting us is just depressing