Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Anyone else zoned out on all things Charlton and football?

Comments

• Options
    T_C_E said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Same, no interest in football at all but have renewed interest in trying to grow my hair.
    This. A lot of people will feel the same. :smile:

I’m using printed copies of southall’s press conferences under my cap to see if bullshit will enhance the growth. 
    Then again, when you run out of loo roll......
  • Options
    I'm the opposite of most of you, mainly because my circumstances are different. Having spent most of the last 3 weeks in bed trying to decide whether I actually have coronavirus or just a particularly evil cold/chest infection, and not having work to do or kids to wrangle, the whole boardroom shenanigans stuff is a useful distraction from real world events. While the potential outcome for the club is really quite worrying, the surreal soap opera nature of events is just so daft I can't help find it somewhat amusing in a gallows humour kind of way. So I'd rather be spending the time when I can't really do anything else focusing on that, rather than watching the rolling news channels or trawling through the news sites or social media for the latest coronavirus updates, which is is significantly more depressing.
    That said, like many of you I'm finding a lot of the discussion about restarting the season premature, even though I understand the financial reasons behind it. Until we've got the level of covid 19 cases under control we shouldn't even be setting any timescales for a return. Let the players spend time with their families, and let the medical staff focus on the important task at hand.
  • Options
    Missed It said:
    I've become more and more disgusted with football over the past few years.  The Premier League is a depressing circus of hype, cash splattered wide-boys and Carlos Kickaballs that I have no connection with.  So many chancers, crooks and hangers-on infest the game.  If Charlton wasn't such an ingrained habit, I may have given up on going to games a few years ago.  Who knows if I'll go back after our house arrest has finished?  Who knows if their will even be a Charlton to go back to?  Back in the day I'd have been worried sick about losing my football team.  Now, maybe it would just be a relief if it was all over and I didn't have to care any more.

This is 100% how I feel. It was strange just reading it. 
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    I'm the opposite of most of you, mainly because my circumstances are different. Having spent most of the last 3 weeks in bed trying to decide whether I actually have coronavirus or just a particularly evil cold/chest infection, and not having work to do or kids to wrangle, the whole boardroom shenanigans stuff is a useful distraction from real world events. While the potential outcome for the club is really quite worrying, the surreal soap opera nature of events is just so daft I can't help find it somewhat amusing in a gallows humour kind of way. So I'd rather be spending the time when I can't really do anything else focusing on that, rather than watching the rolling news channels or trawling through the news sites or social media for the latest coronavirus updates, which is is significantly more depressing.
    That said, like many of you I'm finding a lot of the discussion about restarting the season premature, even though I understand the financial reasons behind it. Until we've got the level of covid 19 cases under control we shouldn't even be setting any timescales for a return. Let the players spend time with their families, and let the medical staff focus on the important task at hand.
    Get well soon, @aliwibble and hope you're starting to feel a bit better.

BTW your 'Bitesize' is invaluable - it really does save wading knee deep through 100 daily posts of (mainly) people navel gazing and speculating to find something news worthy.

Like you, I'm finding the whole saga so bizarre it's got to the point of being amusing in a strangely detached sort of way. And yes, there are more important issues than football right now.

• Options
    BR3red said:
    Virtually everyone in the same boat.

Breaking News - today:

Wimbledon cancelled.

Gave a glancing look - pretty irrelevant with what’s going on and expected.

Would have been headlines for weeks in a “normal situation “.

There will be something else tomorrow and Wimbledon will sink out of the headlines.

Nobody is interested with what we thought was so very important just weeks ago..

The despair and in some cases anger on here after losing to Boro makes us all look silly now. That was only 24 days ago ... 😩

Whatever happens CL needs to be a message board without doubt 👍

But come the summer when hopefully we're over the worst it will really sink in what we've lost, whether sporting events like Wimbledon, the Euros and Olympics, Cultural events like Glastonbury and Edinburgh, all the concerts and plays that have been cancelled etc

Yes they're less important than life and death, but they're still a massive part of what makes life enjoyable and worth living
  • Options
    I lost interest and patience with the Prem when Thaksin was found to be “fit and proper” at City when he was wanted for fraud back in his own country.

This current situation is shining an unflinching light on the amount of cash sploshing about at the top level in the game. None more revealingly than when Pep recently donated £900,000 to Spanish hospitals. Why are we paying managers so much they have that amount of spare cash? It’s pretty obscene really.
  • Options

As said in the opening post, i've (for various reasons) been in a Charlton-related coma since mid-March.

Though i'm hugely grateful and proud of what @Aliwibble has been compiling through the bitesize thread (i'm convinced that will become the basis of a fantastic resource of this period in years to come), in my head i feel i would be 'cheating' just getting up to speed via that!

So i'm trying to catch up by wading through the huge Bonkers Shenanigans thread.

I'm up to 25th March, exactly 100 pages to go. The ex directors deadline has just passed, there's been loads of revelations leaked through the Romanian press and suggestions of hitman hirings!

Absolute bonkers, never has a thread been more aptly titled. Hoping to be up to speed by the end of this week.

Like avoiding threads on here of TV programmes and films before you've seen them, i've been trying to do the same with this Charlton nonsense.

So...

How up to date with everything are you?

With regard to the bonkers shaningans thread, do you follow virtually every post?

Do you skip a few hundred posts and go to the latest when you pick up from elsewhere some new piece of info has come into the public domain?

Have you just flat out avoided it and not bothered reading any of it? Or just gave up at a certain point?

• Sponsored links:

• Options

As said in the opening post, i've (for various reasons) been in a Charlton-related coma since mid-March.

Though i'm hugely grateful and proud of what @Aliwibble has been compiling through the bitesize thread (i'm convinced that will become the basis of a fantastic resource of this period in years to come), in my head i feel i would be 'cheating' just getting up to speed via that!

So i'm trying to catch up by wading through the huge Bonkers Shenanigans thread.

I'm up to 25th March, exactly 100 pages to go. The ex directors deadline has just passed, there's been loads of revelations leaked through the Romanian press and suggestions of hitman hirings!

Absolute bonkers, never has a thread been more aptly titled. Hoping to be up to speed by the end of this week.

Like avoiding threads on here of TV programmes and films before you've seen them, i've been trying to do the same with this Charlton nonsense.

So...

How up to date with everything are you?

With regard to the bonkers shaningans thread, do you follow virtually every post?

Do you skip a few hundred posts and go to the latest when you pick up from elsewhere some new piece of info has come into the public domain?

Have you just flat out avoided it and not bothered reading any of it? Or just gave up at a certain point?

Ashamed to have to admit that I am addicted to the posts, while feeling strangely disconnected and almost resigned to it ending badly. 
    Its almost like watching Charlton winning 1-0 in injury time but knowing we are going to concede and end up drawing with the last kick of the match. 
    I really should find better things to do.

• Options
    Strangely though, I haven't missed football and sport in general as much as I thought I would. 
    In fact, my weekends have been much more stable (not sure if that's the correct word) because I'm not experiencing the highs and usual lows of supporting Charlton.
    Its a curse supporting Charlton but I've had the pleasure and mostly pain for over sixty years.
    Why couldn't I have supported Liverpool, Man. united or the Arse?   
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    I've been ducking in and out over the past couple of weeks but haven't been paying much attention,(as some will probably vouch for!)

But in the last couple of days I've had an overwhelming anger bubbling up inside regarding the frauds and fuckwits that are currently calling the shots on MY football club.
     I want them exposed sooner rather than later so that we can try and move on in some capacity.
  • Options
    I'm reading more of the non-football related stuff on here, I've totally zoned out from football at the moment. Got far more going on to worry about it.

Football as we know it will never be the same whatever happens, mainly because I believe by the time we do eventually all get to go and watch a live game again we could have up to 1/3 less clubs!.

I think the football bubble will well and truly burst outside of the real elite clubs who can make their way through the financial impact.

I glance at the bonkers thread, but just jump to the last/latest page.
  • Options
    Completely, I just wish I could stop looking at CL for more than a few hours, so bloody addictive if your an addictive sort of fella, which I am.
  • Options
    Totally zoned out of the bonkers thread , cant bring myself to even be aware of it's existence. 
  • Options
    No interest whatsoever.
  • Options
    I've zoned out of the shenanigans thread, I can't be bothered to follow who said what and who allegedly did what or owes whoever whatever, especially as there's nothing I can do about it and I've no idea which side to take or if there is a side to take.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    I've not posted a great deal recently, somehow football and sport in general which used to be a major part of my life seems so unimportant right now. How on earth the PL are discussing starting matches again is beyond me, people are still catching and dying of this horrible disease. With the French government now calling an end to their leagues, it's time the PL and EFL followed suit. As for Charlton, yes I do follow the shenanigans thread but skip loads of posts since the beginning of April. I look at CL everyday but only fleetingly just to stay in touch with things. When the virus is defeated or at least diminishing then will be the time for me to get fully engaged again.

• Options
    I am not really missing the football as such. 

It will come as no surprise to anyone, that is following the Panorama magic thread, that I am days away from having pictures of all of them on my living room wall with string joining them up and 100s of post it notes. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I’m reading purely because there’s nothing else to do, I’m strictly out of the house no more than an hour per day to exercise our dogs, two or three hours of mental stimulation games for them and that’s it. I’m either reading on here or talking to the person who’s got our other dog. All those jobs around the house are done, football as in the game is the furthest thing from my mind. Restarting the season as JJ says in his song “when people are dying, do we really even care”
  • Options
    I've read every post and am up to date.
  • Options
    Just can’t get my head around being interested at the moment. 

For example, Im 1.2k posts behind the bonkers thread, 400 behind the season ending early etc. 

Not or sure whether it’s work or the virus backdrop, but since this has all escalated and knowing there’s no football in the next few months, I’ve temporarily lost all interest to even bother reading about it.

am I alone in this or have others been experiencing the same?
    Just caught up with this thread. 

Sounds like this guy (above) needs to be put on furlough.
  • Options
    Constantly on here to be honest,but not much input going on from my end into any thread...specially on the TO thread,can’t be bothered to get involved with the willy waving really...it’s like deja vu every page same old stuff being regurgitated...so what with all is going on with the world,I have accepted that  the footy needs to take a back step as have I ...but obvs I’m not oblivious to wot is going on with our club...right now,it seems only the people involved with the takeover know what might be going on...everything else is just noise...at some point in time we will 100% get our beloved CAFC bak,but right now...”it literally is what it is” 

Just everyone keep ya selves & ya family’s safe as best as you can in these troubled times 
  • Options
    As a foreigner who accidentally stumbled upon Charlton Athletic in 1987 and only knew Selhurst park for the first 5 years. I have massive black holes in my knowledge of my puppy's history. 
    So catching up through endless runs of old archived material during the break is going some way towards turning me into becoming a native (I doubt it. 3 countries have tried and failed)
    Still,
    COYR
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Just can’t get my head around being interested at the moment. 

For example, Im 1.2k posts behind the bonkers thread, 400 behind the season ending early etc. 

Not or sure whether it’s work or the virus backdrop, but since this has all escalated and knowing there’s no football in the next few months, I’ve temporarily lost all interest to even bother reading about it.

am I alone in this or have others been experiencing the same?
    Just caught up with this thread. 

Sounds like this guy (above) needs to be put on furlough.
    Or furlonged as the wife calls it.

i wish!
  • Options
    Was saying only yesterday I’m missing the cricket and rugby league more than football.
    Hubby put on that MOTD drivel the other night & it dawned on me that, unless it’s Charlton, I hate watching old football games 😳

But I’m bang up to date on the shenanigans thread.
    Don’t pretend to understand a lot of it. But I need to know what’s occurring.
  • Options
    Really can't be bothered with it all, more worried my financial situation atm let alone Charltons. Shankley was so wrong.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    whoever says football can't return is fibbing. Been watching that K-League match on the BBC and its entertaining enough. i imagine its lower championship upper league 1 standard. having no fans isn't good but the sport itself is engaging to watch. 
  • Options
    Every time I look for an update its another episode in childish ner-ner-na ner ner bollocks between two con-men.
    I'm fed up with it as every day we inch closer to administration with no resolution in site.

:(