Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Face Masks - Do they Work- Where Do you get them?

Seems to be conflicting opinions how safe they are / are not I don’t know what’s right and what’s wrong, are they just something that make people feel safe, anyone got some? What types best, and where do you get them from?

Comments

• Options
    Seems to be conflicting opinions how safe they are / are not I don’t know what’s right and what’s wrong, are they just something that make people feel safe, anyone got some? What types best, and where do you get them from?
    Have placed an order with muttley for 2000
  • Options
    I don't wear one.
  • Options
    Masks are only as useful as the individual using them. 
  • Options
    If it look like this it probably won't work.
  • Options
    I bought my missus a Mick Jagger face mask -  she wasn’t that impressed tbf. 
  • Options
    They do work, we as a country don't have enough which is why the government will never come out and recommend it. 

If they came out and said masks have a small benefit to infection rate, people would be buying them by the truckload and hoarding for profit. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Got mine from the paint section of a hardware store. Exactly the same as everyone else's.
  • Options
    A doctor who spoke to my sister in law in Barclays bank the other week said that they are only good for about 15 mins and as wheresmeticket said above makes them useless. I do chuckle when I see people wearing them when shopping knowing that they don't realise that they are doing them no good.  But its all in the mind I guess.
  • Options
    Last time I wore a face mask was at Loftus Road.

That went down well.

• Options
    Japan are obsessive mask wearers and it's not going well for them...

Analysis by Michael Bristow, BBC World Service Asia editor

Doctors in Japan have warned that the country's medical system could collapse amid a wave of new coronavirus cases.

Emergency rooms have been unable to treat some patients with serious health conditions due to the extra burden caused by the virus, officials say.

One ambulance carrying a patient with coronavirus symptoms was turned away by 80 hospitals before he could be seen.

Japan, which initially appeared to have the virus under control, passed 10,000 confirmed cases on Saturday.

More than 200 people have now died with Covid-19 and the capital Tokyo remains the worst-affected area.

This is a stark warning.

Two medical associations said the coronavirus outbreak was reducing the ability of Japan's hospitals to treat other, serious, medical emergencies.

Hospitals are already turning away patients, and all this while the number of confirmed cases of Covid-19 remains relatively low compared with other countries.

Doctors have complained of a lack of protective equipment, which suggests Japan has not prepared well for the virus. This is despite the fact it was the second country outside China to record an infection, way back in January.

Meanwhile, Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has been criticised for not introducing restrictions to deal with the outbreak sooner for fear they could harm the economy.

His government has argued with the governor of Tokyo, who wanted tougher measures introduced more quickly.

Only on Thursday did Mr Abe extend a state of emergency to the whole country.

• Options
    I had some masks delivered by Amazon, this was before the 'panic' really set in. My view is that they can do  no harm. So I wear one on the very few occasions I leave the house. Double advantage, my hidden old boat can't frighten the local hounds and horses (I am still awaiting delivery of surgical gloves)
  • Options
    I had some masks delivered by Amazon, this was before the 'panic' really set in. My view is that they can do  no harm. So I wear one on the very few occasions I leave the house. Double advantage, my hidden old boat can't frighten the local hounds and horses (I am still awaiting delivery of surgical gloves)
    I believe there was a degree of mirth expressed by fellow Lifers when I stated that I had ordered 3 sets of 10 face masks from Amazon plus a box of thin disposable gloves several weeks before lockdown, just in case.....

We have used the gloves when unpacking our Sainsburys' deliveries whilst the masks are still in their boxes thus far but ready should the family need them at some point. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2020
    How about a full face motorcycle helmet?

But how many people carry hankies in case they sneeze? None means two yards is out the window

• Options
    edited April 2020
    How about a full face motorcycle helmet?

But how many people carry hankies in case they sneeze? None means two yards is out the window

Anything that retains vapour from your breath and keeps it close to your face is not a good idea.
  • Options
    Just for peoples info in case they are looking to buy.

FFP1-Moulded disposable mask without valve offering protection from solid and liquid aerosol variants. Usual RRP £15.50 a box of 20

FFP2V - Moulded disposable mask with valve offering protection from solid and liquid aerosol variants usual RRP £12.50 per box of 10

FFP3V - Moulded disposable mask with valve, minimises breathing resistance and maximises dust carrying capacity.
    Protection from fine dusts, fibres and aqueous mists. Usual RRP £13.50 per box of 5

I usually sell these to shops (builders merchants, hire companys, electrical wholesalers, plumbing shops etc) the most popular being the FFP2V. Unfortunatly none of our usual suppliers have stock anymore. 

Prices have gone crazy, we would normally sell a pack of 10 FFP2 masks to a shop for £7.50 (they would sell for £12/£15) to the end user. I am currently being quoted £70.00 per box of 10!!!

So if you are looking to buy dont be surprised if they are 10 times the prices above, it is not necessarily the shop keeper trying to rip you off.
  • Options
    I found some masks in the garage from my working days with BT. 

All were marked with a CE number and I thought as they conform to European standards I'll wear one on my weekly shop.  I donned it as I was ushered into the Sainsbury's at Bexleyheath by the guard.  However, it didn't feel quite right so I went to adjust it. Unfortunately as I did so I stuck my finger straight into my eye.  It was the very finger that was clutching the trolley handle which was most likely being grasped by an asymptomatic carrier who I gratefully received the trolley from.  I await the outcome with a degree of trepidation.   :|
  • Options
    I found some masks in the garage from my working days with BT. 

All were marked with a CE number and I thought as they conform to European standards I'll wear one on my weekly shop.  I donned it as I was ushered into the Sainsbury's at Bexleyheath by the guard.  However, it didn't feel quite right so I went to adjust it. Unfortunately as I did so I stuck my finger straight into my eye.  It was the very finger that was clutching the trolley handle which was most likely being grasped by an asymptomatic carrier who I gratefully received the trolley from.  I await the outcome with a degree of trepidation.   :|

Face masks also have a use by date.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Definitely not useful if you wear them like this:

• Options
     No one knows whether they work or not but one things for sure is they can’t do any harm (unless overworn I suppose).

I’ve worn one with gloves every time I have to go shopping once a week. 
     Absolutely this. The governments reluctance to state otherwise is baffling.
    i heard the Scottish CMO earlier. One of the reasons he gave was because those with special needs might get frightened if they’re out and see someone with them on!

An absolute f*****g joke.

As AFKA said. It’s certainly can’t hurt. And those trying to make a case against them are being absurd.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
     No one knows whether they work or not but one things for sure is they can’t do any harm (unless overworn I suppose).

i heard the Scottish CMO earlier. One of the reasons he gave was because those with special needs might get frightened if they’re out and see someone with them on!

As AFKA said. It’s certainly can’t hurt. And those trying to make a case against them are being absurd.
    The thing is if it means the average person walks around thinking they are safe, and they end up ignoring social distancing, wearing a shit mask, not putting a mask on properly, or touching there face loads because they have one on... Then it could end up having the opposite effect for them. 
      I heard a good analogy of this point from a health adviser. 
    She said that when the wearing of seatbelts was made compulsory you didn't see drivers whizzing around everywhere smashing into eachother.

Road accidents actually decreased at the time shortly after the enforcement.

I cannot believe that there are those out there that actually think the general public cannot be trusted with a mask.

The problem is getting hold of them. It's impossible. 
    The government know full well that saying they are helpful would create a national panic as nobody would be able to get them and that is the reason they won't recommend them imo
  • Options
    edited April 2020

The thing is if it means the average person walks around thinking they are safe, and they end up ignoring social distancing, wearing a shit mask, not putting a mask on properly, or touching there face loads because they have one on... Then it could end up having the opposite effect for them. 
      I heard a good analogy of this point from a health adviser. 
    She said that when the wearing of seatbelts was made compulsory you didn't see drivers whizzing around everywhere smashing into eachother.

Road accidents actually decreased at the time shortly after the enforcement.

I cannot believe that there are those out there that actually think the general public cannot be trusted with a mask.

The problem is getting hold of them. It's impossible. 
    The government know full well that saying they are helpful would create a national panic as nobody would be able to get them and that is the reason they won't recommend them imo
    I really don't get how this analogy is relevant. I don't think you can compare driving safely, to the prevention of an invisible infectious disease. 

Personally I think if I could get hold of the correct facemasks I would definitely feel safer wearing one. That being said I don't see how facemasks are anymore useful than handwashing. In as much as they may slow the spread of the disease, but they are not some sort of 'get out of jail free' card.