Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Face Masks - Do they Work- Where Do you get them?

Comments

• Options
    I just ordered 20 on Groupon about £14.00 no idea if they are any good  but as some have said can't do any harm  
  • Options
     No one knows whether they work or not but one things for sure is they can’t do any harm (unless overworn I suppose).

I’ve worn one with gloves every time I have to go shopping once a week. 
     Absolutely this. The governments reluctance to state otherwise is baffling.
    i heard the Scottish CMO earlier. One of the reasons he gave was because those with special needs might get frightened if they’re out and see someone with them on!

An absolute f*****g joke.

As AFKA said. It’s certainly can’t hurt. And those trying to make a case against them are being absurd.
    The thing is if it means the average person walks around thinking they are safe, and they end up ignoring social distancing, wearing a shit mask, not putting a mask on properly, or touching there face loads because they have one on... Then it could end up having the opposite effect for them. 
      I heard a good analogy of this point from a health adviser. 
    She said that when the wearing of seatbelts was made compulsory you didn't see drivers whizzing around everywhere smashing into eachother.

Road accidents actually decreased at the time shortly after the enforcement.

I cannot believe that there are those out there that actually think the general public cannot be trusted with a mask.

The problem is getting hold of them. It's impossible. 
    The government know full well that saying they are helpful would create a national panic as nobody would be able to get them and that is the reason they won't recommend them imo
    I really don't get how this analogy is relevant. I don't think you can compare driving safely, to the prevention of an invisible infectious disease. 

Personally I think if I could get hold of the correct facemasks I would definitely feel safer wearing one. That being said I don't see how facemasks are anymore useful than handwashing. In as much as they may slow the spread of the disease, but they are not some sort of 'get out of jail free' card

I never said they were.

They are useful for the reason you listed.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
     No one knows whether they work or not but one things for sure is they can’t do any harm (unless overworn I suppose).

I’ve worn one with gloves every time I have to go shopping once a week. 
     Absolutely this. The governments reluctance to state otherwise is baffling.
    i heard the Scottish CMO earlier. One of the reasons he gave was because those with special needs might get frightened if they’re out and see someone with them on!

An absolute f*****g joke.

As AFKA said. It’s certainly can’t hurt. And those trying to make a case against them are being absurd.
    The thing is if it means the average person walks around thinking they are safe, and they end up ignoring social distancing, wearing a shit mask, not putting a mask on properly, or touching there face loads because they have one on... Then it could end up having the opposite effect for them. 
      I heard a good analogy of this point from a health adviser. 
    She said that when the wearing of seatbelts was made compulsory you didn't see drivers whizzing around everywhere smashing into eachother.

Road accidents actually decreased at the time shortly after the enforcement.

I cannot believe that there are those out there that actually think the general public cannot be trusted with a mask.

The problem is getting hold of them. It's impossible. 
    The government know full well that saying they are helpful would create a national panic as nobody would be able to get them and that is the reason they won't recommend them imo
    I really don't get how this analogy is relevant. I don't think you can compare driving safely, to the prevention of an invisible infectious disease. 

Personally I think if I could get hold of the correct facemasks I would definitely feel safer wearing one. That being said I don't see how facemasks are anymore useful than handwashing. In as much as they may slow the spread of the disease, but they are not some sort of 'get out of jail free' card. 

Agree. Ridiculous comparison.
  • Options
    I think the advantage of facemasks is that they contain germs of those infected from others. Better than hankies.
  • Options
    Face masks I can understand.

Gloves I don’t. You’re still touching everything and risking contamination whether you’re wearing gloves or not wearing gloves, so I can’t see any benefit to them. Just wash your hands thoroughly and regularly and/or use hand gel.
  • Options
    We got FFE ones from Screwfix just before lockdown.  Rarely go out so rarely wear them but definitely out them on when going to a shop
  • Options
    I've ordered some from Amazon but they won't be delivered until mid May.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Ross said:
    Face masks I can understand.

Gloves I don’t. You’re still touching everything and risking contamination whether you’re wearing gloves or not wearing gloves, so I can’t see any benefit to them. Just wash your hands thoroughly and regularly and/or use hand gel.
    Ross the point is, you are not touching anything. Your gloves are. When you have finished with them, throw them away. In a bin, unlike many are doing. When removing them, try not to touch a part of the glove that has been in contact with any outside surface. Wear a mask or carry a hanky. Wash hands. Do not visit North Surrey under any circumstances.
  • Options
    Got mine when I go shopping. As soon as I put it on, nose runs, starts itching, eyes start watering, breath gets hot. Face takes the piss.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    I'm surprised it's even a debate at this stage. They work. Studies have shown they offer fivefold protection versus not having anything. 

There is some misinformation in this thread re: masks only lasting for 20 minutes. I've searched high and low to find this written anywhere else. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrWalker said:
    I bought my missus a Mick Jagger face mask -  she wasn’t that impressed tbf. 
    Did you paint it black?
    I did, but still no satisfaction.

You can't always get what you want ... 
  • Options
    I see someone's getting they Rocks Off on Rolling Stones puns.
  • Options
    Masks are widely worn in southeast Asia and in many countries are compulsory. Singapore completely changed tack, going from requesting people not to wear masks to making them compulsory with a S$300 fine for anyone caught outside in public without one.

Cases in these areas are very low in comparison with Europe and America; Thailand for example has about 2500 cases and 50 deaths. Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos have even lower figure but you cant help wondering whether it's down to lack of testing rather than mask wearing or climate.

The theory is they may not protect you from catching the virus but they can prevent you from spreading the disease if you are asymptomatic.

Im happy to wear one and it's actually good manners to do so as it's what the locals do.

Personally I believe they should be compulsory on public transport, including taxis, for drivers, staff and passengers, though insisting you wear a mask in your private car as they do in certain countries is a taking things a bit far.
  • Options
    RobRob
    edited April 2020
    Yes. As @Bangkokaddick says, the theory behind wearing face masks is not to protect the wearer but to protect other people. Many people with Coronavirus are asymptomatic so by wearing a mask it helps to stop the spread from these people. If they sneeze or cough or even slobber when they speak for example it is captured in the mask rather than being spread around. That is the theory. 
  • Options
    Don't people pull down their masks when they want to sneeze (rather than have the sneeze trapped against their face)?  And how does 'sneezing/coughing into tissue or elbow (as is polite) but not wearing a mask' compare to 'wearing a mask' in terms of transmission?

Does appear to be a lack of detailed research in to this?  Seen a lot of (mainly American) sites discussing how to make your own masks (given shop shortages of manufactured ones), but seem to be using fabrics such as normal dressmaking cotton, through which the virus would surely pass with ease?  And don't you have to be taught how to put them on/take them off to ensure they are effective?
  • Options
    TeslaGirl said:
    Don't people pull down their masks when they want to sneeze (rather than have the sneeze trapped against their face)?  And how does 'sneezing/coughing into tissue or elbow (as is polite) but not wearing a mask' compare to 'wearing a mask' in terms of transmission?

I wear a mask everyday for work and would never dream of coughing or sneezing into it.
    Masks should never be worn for too long as you’re just breathing in the bacteria from your own breath.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    I'm surprised it's even a debate at this stage. They work. Studies have shown they offer fivefold protection versus not having anything. 

There is some misinformation in this thread re: masks only lasting for 20 minutes. I've searched high and low to find this written anywhere else. 
    Just seems like mental gymnastics to avoid some discomfort to me.

A simple glance at the figures of mask wearing countries v non mask wearing countries should be enough to show they work.

Hong Kong and Taiwan have a combined death total of 10, despite their geographical locations.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    I think the advantage of facemasks is that they contain germs of those infected from others. Better than hankies.
    From the reading I have done, this is spot on. They are basically hankies fixed over your mouth and nose. For this reason, you can make one that is going to be just as effective as the standard paper ones. Possibly more so.

I won't tell you how to make them, let the US Surgeon General do so (below). I'd rather wear one of these than a cheap one from China and you stick in the washing machine as soon as you get home. But for them to be effective, we all have to wear them. 100% of us and that is where the government has to come in by ordering their use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPx1yqvJgf4 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Here the advise was to spray the mask with 70% alcohol spray after it was used to help them last longer.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Rob said:
    Yes. As @Bangkokaddick says, the theory behind wearing face masks is not to protect the wearer but to protect other people. Many people with Coronavirus are asymptomatic so by wearing a mask it helps to stop the spread from these people. If they sneeze or cough or even slobber when they speak for example it is captured in the mask rather than being spread around. That is the theory. 
    That's part of it. But saying 'that's all it does' was circulated by WHO, who are now back tracking. The mask protects you from droplets up to a certain size and stops you touching your face which is a key means of transmission. It may also lessen the viral load you receive, though more research is needed on the relationship between viral load and severity of illness.  

I don't blame the misunderstandings with the complete rubbish the BBC have been peddling for months. 
  • Options
    The Chinese have been wearing masks in public for years, it didn’t do them much good, did it?
  • Options
    DA7 said:
    The Chinese have been wearing masks in public for years, it didn’t do them much good, did it?
    It clearly did.
  • Options
    Tried that site that @DaveMehmet recommended they have plenty in stock 😉
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-8232573/DR-ELLIE-CANNON-demonstrates-make-mask-old-T-shirt.html

You have to wonder why a medical proffesional is/was listening to advice from this buffoon led government. But hey ho. Glad I ignored it.
  • Options
    Isnt the main problem with masks that they make people over confident and think they are immune? 

My missus tells me that its always people wearing masks who dont seem to be keeping their distance in the supermarket. Not sure if that's true myself as I havent been outside for a month!
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Rob said:
    I'm not taking sides I can see both points of view.

But, I go out for shopping once a week and go out for a stroll around occasionally.
    I have not once seen/heard anyone cough or sneeze.
    So I'm far from confident that the high number of cases in the UK is anything to do with the non wearing of masks.

Yes, this is anecdotal evidence, but I have mentioned it before and quite a few agreed with me and no one said they have heard one person cough or sneeze.

Has anyone heard anyone cough or sneeze, or is it just me ?

NB if the true answer is in 99% of cases (guess) the transmission is down to speaking rather than cough/sneeze (forget infected surfaces for this discussion), then surely the advice should be to not speak as far as is reasonably possible?
  • Options
    Do you not release droplets just from breathing and talking though? Now whilst they won't spread as far, when you consider how long the virus can stay live, it must still be an issue.

Whilst it might be the only reason cases are so high in England, why are they so low in almost all the countries that do wear them.