Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

No Vaccination Novak Djokovic

Comments

• Options
    Hmm, I hope I’m right that the strategy the Oz govt took in court has been agreed with Serbia- that they would not shame the country by going hard on the dodgy PCR test and the dodgy doctor - because the first thing I heard in reaction was journo from the Torygraph highlighting the weakness of the evidence, and thus implying that its a stitch-up. 

As I think we all agree, none of the main actors come out of this with any credit, though the top players like Nadal and Murray  do, IMO, for their measured but principled stance.
    Think the Aus government look pretty good from what I’ve seen, took a reasonable stance and stuck with it. 
    Well that does not seem to be the majority view of their citizens, probably because Novax was initially able to claim that he thought he was following the rules. One issue most of us non-oz people tend to neglect is the wide legislative power of individual States, in this case Victoria. Novax was initially able to claim effectively that he had permission from Victoria. Then there is Tennis Australia. Due to their incompetence a Czech female was also belatedly  slung out, but she just shrugged and left, and nobody gives a monkeys about her, do they?
  • Options
    Hmm, I hope I’m right that the strategy the Oz govt took in court has been agreed with Serbia- that they would not shame the country by going hard on the dodgy PCR test and the dodgy doctor - because the first thing I heard in reaction was journo from the Torygraph highlighting the weakness of the evidence, and thus implying that its a stitch-up. 

As I think we all agree, none of the main actors come out of this with any credit, though the top players like Nadal and Murray  do, IMO, for their measured but principled stance.
    If I was in the Australian government, I would be more concerned about what Australian voters felt than what the Serbian government did. I don’t see that The Australian government look particularly bad, there is little else they could have done really.
  • Options

If I was in the Australian government, I would be more concerned about what Australian voters felt than what the Serbian government did. I don’t see that The Australian government look particularly bad, there is little else they could have done really.
    Of course, they have an election to win. But then why did Hawke say in his evidence that he was *not* questioning the Novax medical submissions when the whole world has seen that dismantled in front of their eyes. 

Also worth remembering that Oz has a sizeable Serb community, with votes ( Sasa Ilic came from that community). 

I mean, I really dont care, I’m glad that he has finally been thrown out, but the whole thing has fuelled the global  anti-vax movement when that need not have happened if they had been clearer from the start what the rules would be for the tournament.
  • Options
    As a citizen of Melbourne, part of me was thinking that if he won his case, it was a blood nose for the current government, who are on the nose for their handling of covid, with election required by May2020.
    The other part was hoping the opposite, because he has become a rallying cry on social media this week for anti-vaxxers and other issues.
    I am now glad it has gone the way it has. If he had won, there would be 2 weeks of angst, especially when he played and no doubt the atmosphere when he played would be toxic. Now he has gone it should blow over quickly fingers crossed.
  • Options
     I suspect after taking legal advice, they chose a tac that the felt had the best chance of swift success, knowing that it would be challenged in court. Perhaps going down the medical route might have meant a more protracted process with reports and testimony needed from other parties.
  • Options
     I suspect after taking legal advice, they chose a tac that the felt had the best chance of swift success, knowing that it would be challenged in court. Perhaps going down the medical route might have meant a more protracted process with reports and testimony needed from other parties.
    Agreed. I don;t think they accepted various things he did but went for the best chance of success
  • Options
    Novak Djokovic the first tennis player in history to be eliminated from a tournament for only missing two shots.

And good riddance to the idiotic narcissist.
  • Options

Think the Aus government look pretty good from what I’ve seen, took a reasonable stance and stuck with it. 
    Well that does not seem to be the majority view of their citizens, probably because Novax was initially able to claim that he thought he was following the rules. One issue most of us non-oz people tend to neglect is the wide legislative power of individual States, in this case Victoria. Novax was initially able to claim effectively that he had permission from Victoria. Then there is Tennis Australia. Due to their incompetence a Czech female was also belatedly  slung out, but she just shrugged and left, and nobody gives a monkeys about her, do they?
    Did the random Czech also break the rules? If so, chalk that up as another success for the Aussie Government.

Surely permission from a state cannot override national laws, nor can a poxy sport commission. 
  • Options
    "The Czech doubles player Renata Voracova, who was deported from Australia after her visa was cancelled, has spoken of how she “felt like a criminal” and was made to undress by the Australia Border Force during questioning."

WTF was that all about ?

So Drug smugglers and a person who had Covid but had a bad reaction to it so couldn't have the Vaccine ,( she said she wants the vaccine ) are treated the same !

No problem with Governments of countries having rules but the Australian border force need to reply to Renata's accusation.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2022
    It is so sad that those who enjoy tennis, will be watching a major tournament, without one of the world's best ever tennis players, because he has refused to have a vaccine which will make the whole world a safer place.

I hope however, that it makes it clear to the people who refuse to be vaccinated, that you will find it very difficult to travel this year and no matter how much money, power and influence you may have, you are not going to be treated differently from anyone else.
  • Options

Did the random Czech also break the rules? If so, chalk that up as another success for the Aussie Government.

Surely permission from a state cannot override national laws, nor can a poxy sport commission. 
    I could not agree with you more on the latter point. And all the head honchos in Tennis Australia should be fired, IMO. I'm simply pointing out that it wasn't as simple as "the Aussies getting tough". 

The random Czech understood that she had complied with the rules. Indeed she sailed through immigration and actually played a warm-up game; then, after it all kicked off with Novax they came for her and told her those weren't the rules after all and she had to either quarantine or leave. So she left.Quietly. I assume she was not vaxxed, but she has not been banging on about freedom of choice, nor has the Czech government claimed that Australia has declared war on it. It just delivered a letter of complaint that the whole thing was a bit of a shambles. Which in her case it clearly was.
  • Options
    "The Czech doubles player Renata Voracova, who was deported from Australia after her visa was cancelled, has spoken of how she “felt like a criminal” and was made to undress by the Australia Border Force during questioning."

WTF was that all about ?

So Drug smugglers and a person who had Covid but had a bad reaction to it so couldn't have the Vaccine ,( she said she wants the vaccine ) are treated the same !

No problem with Governments of countries having rules but the Australian border force need to reply to Renata's accusation.
    First I have heard of that, though. Where did you read that?
  • Options
    edited January 2022

WTF was that all about ?

First I have heard of that, though. Where did you read that?

The Guardian had the story on Thursday 13th and they used quotes from BBC Russian and a Russian Publication called Denik; validity from a Czech publication/media (does she live there) would give this story more substance and transparency.

• Options
    The fella over the road from me cuts Novak’s hair during Wimbledon each year. And David Beckham’s (not during Wimbledon though). Thought you’d like to know that. 

Agree with Muttley’s support for pissing anti-vaxers off. Trouble is we’re too wishy washy these days. You have to hit them where it hurts. In the pocket.  
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Pissing them off can have a positive impact. Some of the weaker ones in resolve may decide it isn't worth holding out when they can't do things others can.  
  • Options

Also worth remembering that Oz has a sizeable Serb community, with votes ( Sasa Ilic came from that community). 

73,000 at the last count....hardly sizeable in country of 26 Million.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    TEL said:

73,000 at the last count....hardly sizeable in country of 26 Million.
    Point taken

what is the noise from the Greek community though? Are a lot of them anti vax? Much bigger community, right?

and whats your overall take on how the govt has handled it?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Without meaning to sound disrespectful @PragueAddick to Serbia and it’s people, I don’t really think that  many people beyond neighbouring countries really care what the Serb government says.

As for the Australian government handling it badly, from where I sit in the UK right now it doesn’t look remotely embarrassing compared to what we have seen from our leaders this week.
  • Options
    This made me laugh....

The president said he was sure Djokovic “would have been treated differently if he hadn’t come from Serbia … If he was from another country, the approach would be completely different. Of course people here are frustrated, 90% are on Novak’s side.”

The player’s father, Srđan, said the episode amounted to “an attempted assassination with 50 bullets to the chest”, while the sports minister, Vanja Udovičić, described it as “nonsense and shame, absurdity and hypocrisy”

Oh well, Novak can relax and take off his bullet proof vest now he is ensconced in his first class suite on the Emirates flight....will be interesting to see if he goes home to Monaco or laps up the adulation in Serbia.

• Options
    Next thing you know it'll turn out he had a fucking party in the middle of lockdown. Scum.
  • Options
    TELTEL
    edited January 2022
    @PragueAddick I certainly didnt get the impression that you had any sympathy with the Serb government at all.

The Serbs certainly do play up like the innocents.....one look at the Serbian Chetniks in WW2 would sober up even the most forgiving of people.

As a young man in the early 80's I was asked to quote for printing a booklet for a Serbian Chetnik organisation in London. I won the quote and received the artwork and being nosey had a read of the content....I returned the artwork and politely said it wasn't something I wanted to be associated with.

However, You cant tar a whole nation with one brush and Im sure there was good and bad in that period of time and the same again in the 90's.
  • Options
    TEL said:
    This made me laugh....

The president said he was sure Djokovic “would have been treated differently if he hadn’t come from Serbia … If he was from another country, the approach would be completely different. Of course people here are frustrated, 90% are on Novak’s side.”

The player’s father, Srđan, said the episode amounted to “an attempted assassination with 50 bullets to the chest”, while the sports minister, Vanja Udovičić, described it as “nonsense and shame, absurdity and hypocrisy”

Oh well, Novak can relax and take off his bullet proof vest now he is ensconced in his first class suite on the Emirates flight....will be interesting to see if he goes home to Monaco or laps up the adulation in Serbia.

Yes it's exactly the same! Do these people ever think before they speak?
  • Options
    TEL said:
    This made me laugh....

Serbs referring to his treatment as torture and imprisonment - they have short, selective memories!
    I thought exactly  the same . All those poor Muslims,  hands toed led away from the women folk of their villages knowing they were going to be shot . And the Serbisn President calls Novax's treatment a
    scandal !  
    I find it interesting that President Vucic is playing the race game, because he has form on this.
     "for every Serb killed, we will kill 100 Muslims" only a few days after the Srebrenica massacre.  
  • Options
    Found the interview with a former Wimbledon champion, on the BBC just now, quite annoying. Especially when the presenter thanked her for her opinion calling it a "fascinating insight".