Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Best Male singer of the 70's

Comments

• Options
    Never got Bowie or Bush, both self  indulgent old tosh!   Mercury overblown, Got to go some way to beat Meatloaf.
  • Options
    hawksmoor said:
    I'm a soul purist, and as we've had Marvin Gaye, I'm going to throw in Al Green and Bobby Womack. I think Womack's best period was the Seventies.
    Across 110th Street. 

What. 
    A.
    Tune. 
  • Options
    Then you also have Phil Lynott who was a different kind of one, but as much of a showman as Freddie Mercury.
    Ian Anderson was also pretty high up in the showmanship league.
  • Options
    Ian Gillan.
    Again Gillan was quite versatile. He was the original Jesus on the concept album of Jesus Christ Superstar and he defind the role for all those who followed. 
  • Options
    Mike Batt.

Well I thought so in the 70’s.
  • Options
    Er indoors suggests Peter Frampton (she's a baggies fan) sorry. 
  • Options
    Lemmy!
  • Options
    Thijs van Leer
  • Options
    Rick Danko 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Roger Daltrey
  • Options
    the original poster answered his own question  

Paul Rogers 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    I'm reading the thread title as 'voice'.

If it is purely as a singer, Luicano Pavarotti

If it's limited to popular music then Roy Orbison or Matt Monro (mainly 60s though).
    No Andy Williams?
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    Freddie Mercury. Dominated both 70s and 80s.

No, he really didn't and yes I was there.
    In the 70s alone Mercury sang the likes of Bohemian Rhapsody, Somebody To Love, We Will Rock You, We Are The Champions, Don’t Stop Me Now just to name a few. Songs that people of all ages will be aware of, and will hear on a regular basis to this day.

The fact you were ‘there’ makes little difference I’m afraid - people can still debate music from a time before they were born. 

Mercury is one of the undisputed greats of that decade based on sheer influence alone. You don’t have to like Queen (which you clearly don’t), but to dismiss their importance and influence is non-sensical. 
    Hmm. They are all great songs. No doubt at all. Hearing "We are the Champions" at The Valley when we picked up the trophy is probably one of my Top 20 Charlton moments.

But I don't think you can say that FM/Queen "dominated" the 70s and 80s. They just didn;t.
    Freddie was one of the greats,but no,Queen did not dominate in the 70s,they were a part of an era which boasted,The Eagles,Dire Straits,Led Zeppelin,difficult to dominate these sort of bands.
    Dire Straits?? 
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Addickted said:
    seth plum said:
    Led Zeppelin were not a metal band.
    It's like saying because they released 'Crazy Horses' The Osmonds were a hard rock band.

Ok, heavy rock then.

Crazy Horses is a great song. Shows how talented and versatile the Osmonds were.
    Still not right - Progressive (prog) Rock.

Come on, even you like some Zep.
    They definitely weren’t prog rock. Van der Graaf Generator were prog rock. King Crimson. Yes. Henry Cow, even. 
    LZ started as blues rock, and ended up just as as rock, I reckon. They were a very good rock band. 
    Not sure they could compete with the Osmonds in the hard rocking stakes though. 
    What I can’t understand and is how Henry Irving can have almost exactly the same musical heroes as me, and yet be ten years younger!

[I never heard LZ’s last two albums. We’re they prog? Even if they were I’m not sure I’d call them a prog band].
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    Ian Gillan.
    Again Gillan was quite versatile. He was the original Jesus on the concept album of Jesus Christ Superstar and he defind the role for all those who followed. 
    Have that album and I am sure its a triple album. My uncle took me to see that when I was a kid at a theatre in London and loved it ever since.
  • Options
    Four pages and nobody's mentioned Pete Hammill yet, eh
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Leuth said:
    Four pages and nobody's mentioned Pete Hammill yet, eh
    👆VdGG
  • Options
    Jimmy Ruffin could sing a bit. 
    Also liked Russell Thompkins Jr. (Stylistics) when I was in my teens. 
  • Options
    jondon76 said:
    Roger Daltrey
    Who?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Addickted said:
    seth plum said:
    It's like saying because they released 'Crazy Horses' The Osmonds were a hard rock band.

Ok, heavy rock then.

Crazy Horses is a great song. Shows how talented and versatile the Osmonds were.

They definitely weren’t prog rock. Van der Graaf Generator were prog rock. King Crimson. Yes. Henry Cow, even. 
    LZ started as blues rock, and ended up just as as rock, I reckon. They were a very good rock band. 
    What I can’t understand and is how Henry Irving can have almost exactly the same musical heroes as me, and yet be ten years younger!

[I never heard LZ’s last two albums. We’re they prog? Even if they were I’m not sure I’d call them a prog band].

I'm older than you think and than I look.
  • Options
    Telly Savalas
    Benny Hill
    Rob Woodward- Lieutenant Pigeon
  • Options
    Mike Batt.

Charlton Life exclusive. KBslittesis' true identity revealed..... ( ;) )

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Off_it said:
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    Freddie Mercury. Dominated both 70s and 80s.

No, he really didn't and yes I was there.
    In the 70s alone Mercury sang the likes of Bohemian Rhapsody, Somebody To Love, We Will Rock You, We Are The Champions, Don’t Stop Me Now just to name a few. Songs that people of all ages will be aware of, and will hear on a regular basis to this day.

The fact you were ‘there’ makes little difference I’m afraid - people can still debate music from a time before they were born. 

Mercury is one of the undisputed greats of that decade based on sheer influence alone. You don’t have to like Queen (which you clearly don’t), but to dismiss their importance and influence is non-sensical. 
    Hmm. They are all great songs. No doubt at all. Hearing "We are the Champions" at The Valley when we picked up the trophy is probably one of my Top 20 Charlton moments.

But I don't think you can say that FM/Queen "dominated" the 70s and 80s. They just didn;t.
    Freddie was one of the greats,but no,Queen did not dominate in the 70s,they were a part of an era which boasted,The Eagles,Dire Straits,Led Zeppelin,difficult to dominate these sort of bands.
    Dire Straits?? 
    Not putting Mark Knofler up for best singer,merely mentioning the bands that where around at the time,not everyones cup of tea,but Mark was and still is a fine guitar player who has his own style and has recorded albums with the greats,such as Chet Atkins.

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Addickted said:
    seth plum said:

Ok, heavy rock then.

Happy Birthday old man!
  • Options
    Stevie Windwood?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Addickted said:
    seth plum said:

Ok, heavy rock then.

Happy Birthday old man!
    Thanks
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Addickted said:
    seth plum said:

Ok, heavy rock then.

Happy Birthday old man!
    Thanks
    Ok, I’m going to have a guess. 58?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Addickted said:
    seth plum said:

Ok, heavy rock then.

Happy Birthday old man!
    Thanks
    Ok, I’m going to have a guess. 58?
    Very close. 
  • Options
    Mike Batt.

Charlton Life exclusive. KBslittesis' true identity revealed..... ( ;) )

I can minueto allegreto with the best of them 😎