Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Best Male singer of the 70's

Comments

• Options
    Peter Hammill
    Richard Sinclair 
    Klaus Blasquiz
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    I don't think we've had Jimmy Osmond yet.
  • Options
    If we are talking best ‘singer’ then on range and versatility Mercury has to be right up there. Could sing opera, ballads, rock. 

Like him or not - and aside from the fact he was also a great showman - he was an incredible vocalist.
  • Options
    Marc Bolan for me after much thought.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Good shouts for:-
    Rod Stewart who spanned genres
    Matt Munroe, smooth
    Barry White, great range.
    Joe Cocker
    Otis Redding
    Leonard Cohen
    Tom Jones
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/u3ZvO4pcTHs

Absolutely no contest.
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/u3ZvO4pcTHs

Absolutely no contest.
    One for the best lyrics thread as well!
  • Options
    Best at what they did?

Blues Rod Stewart
    Punk Johnnie Rotten
    Soul Marvin Gaye
    Rock Roger Daltrey
    Not sure where to place him Frank Sinatra
    Opera Pavaroti
    Pop Agnetha and Anni-Frid, Debbie Harry
    Looking cool while you do it Bryan Ferry

Pick a genre, there's someone better than the rest.
  • Options
    Best at what they did?

Blues Rod Stewart
    Punk Johnnie Rotten
    Soul Marvin Gaye
    Rock Roger Daltrey
    Not sure where to place him Frank Sinatra
    Opera Pavaroti
    Pop Agnetha and Anni-Frid, Debbie Harry
    Looking cool while you do it Bryan Ferry

Pick a genre, there's someone better than the rest.
    I can see a tiny little problem here  🤔
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Someone of us actually put Leo Sayer ........
  • Options
    "best" is always a dodgy call in music, (but still fun). My personal favourites from that era included Plant, Daltrey, Rogers for sure. I like Steve Winwood too, but I think his voice sounded a bit thin at times, live. I also loved Golden Earring's Barry Hay, but that's a niche choice of course, and Paul Carrack (mentioned above) is a great shout. I used to cringe when I heard Matt Munro on the Light Programme, but when he passed away I suddenly realised how brilliant he was, putting the genre aside. 

Overall though, I'm going for Steve Marriott. How a bunch of Londoners of a certain age can fail to mention him is beyond me. :-)
  • Options
    "best" is always a dodgy call in music, (but still fun). My personal favourites from that era included Plant, Daltrey, Rogers for sure. I like Steve Winwood too, but I think his voice sounded a bit thin at times, live. I also loved Golden Earring's Barry Hay, but that's a niche choice of course, and Paul Carrack (mentioned above) is a great shout. I used to cringe when I heard Matt Munro on the Light Programme, but when he passed away I suddenly realised how brilliant he was, putting the genre aside. 

Overall though, I'm going for Steve Marriott. How a bunch of Londoners of a certain age can fail to mention him is beyond me. :-)
    Er, i did.
  • Options
    I think Mr.Tony Bennet deserves a shout,was still performing in his 90s.I used to go to concerts regularly,once saw Tony (he was 85) at the time perform at the Albert Hall,he actually switched all the electrics off and sang Fly me to the moon without even a mike,you could hear every word wherever you were seated,it was hairs on the back of the neck stuff.
  • Options

Er, i did.
    Ah sorry, must have missed it, tried to go through all posts before gobbing off. And failed
  • Options
    Elvis
    Just listen to the Aloha From Hawai concert 1973.Remarkable voice and range too especially on American Triology and even more special because its live 
  • Options
    Elvis
    Just listen to the Aloha From Hawai concert 1973.Remarkable voice and range too especially on American Triology and even more special because its live 
    One of his finest moments.
  • Options
    holyjo said:
    Someone of us actually put Leo Sayer ........
    I mentioned him. I feel he was underrated. 

I knew it would be unpopular with some but he wrote much of his own material which is always a plus and as I previously said he wrote Roger Daltrey's first solo album with David Courtney. He also penned Dreaming for Cliff Richard. 

In 1978 he became the first white artist to win a Grammy for best R&B song for You Make Me Feel Like Dancing following the likes of Bill Withers and Stevie Wonder. He worked with the legendary producer Richard Perry around this time. 

But as this is about musical taste I suspect that won't change your opinion. I just wanted to demonstrate that he is worth mentioning and was well regarded at the time. 
  • Options
    I ‘ll throw Neil Diamond into the mix!
  • Options
    I ‘ll throw Neil Diamond into the mix!
    ..... so good , so good , so good .......
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Harry Nilsson for me hands down also the documentary made about him is well worth watching if you can find it, its called

Who Is Harry Nilsson (And Why Is Everybody Talkin' About Him) ?

• Options
    Paul Rogers for rock and blues
    Levi Stubbs for soul
    Tom Jones for a jack of all trades
  • Options
    sholland said:
    Harry Nilsson for me hands down also the documentary made about him is well worth watching if you can find it, its called

Who Is Harry Nilsson (And Why Is Everybody Talkin' About Him) ?
    Couldn't hear a word they're sayin'  ;)
  • Options
    Maddy Prior
    Nick Drake
  • Options
    I meant Paddy Prior of Satan's Doorstep.
  • Options
    Has anyone gone for Stevie Wonder? Great singer and one of the greatest songwriters.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    JamesSeed said:
    Has anyone gone for Stevie Wonder? Great singer and one of the greatest songwriters.
    He has been mentioned but worth mentioning again. I've just read Gil Scott-Heron's memoirs and it could be argued it's more about Stevie Wonder. He supported him in the Eighties and absolutely adored him.
  • Options
    hawksmoor said:
    JamesSeed said:
    He has been mentioned but worth mentioning again. I've just read Gil Scott-Heron's memoirs and it could be argued it's more about Stevie Wonder. He supported him in the Eighties and absolutely adored him.
    Ooh, I’ll have to look out for that 👍
  • Options
    It depends on the genre you like. For a softer rock/blues type voice Andy Fairweather Low was up their but for throaty blues voice Frankie  Miller took some beating.