Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Battle of the Bridge watchalong - kick off 3pm - Match thread

edited May 2020 in General Charlton
Although the football season would have finished for us by now, I'm not sure how many of you are still suffering from withdrawal symptoms, and given that @Ollywozere has been furloughed it's unclear whether the club will be putting out any content for us to watch over the weekend. So, seeing as it is the anniversary today, is anyone up for a watchalong of The Battle Of The Bridge on Saturday afternoon?
ETA - the video of the match is here: .
The picture quality is not the greatest, as it's taken directly from the video released by Chelsea at the end of the season, but it's good enough to be able to tell what's going on. I suggest you try starting to play it before 3pm just to make sure it all works fine for you, and then pause it at the 2 minute mark which is the time the match actually kicks off, and we can start at 3pm.

Comments

• Options
    Having been there on the terraces, I don’t think I could live through the game again  :#
  • Options
    That was up there as “One of our Finest” victorious on both pitch and terraces.. !
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    Although the football season would have finished for us by now, I'm not sure how many of you are still suffering from withdrawal symptoms, and given that @Ollywozere has been furloughed it's unclear whether the club will be putting out any content for us to watch over the weekend. So, seeing as it is the anniversary today, is anyone up for a watchalong of The Battle Of The Bridge on Saturday afternoon?
    Is the full match available somewhere?
  • Options
    Not the full match, but about an hour's worth.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    I had a Saturday job in Sainsbury's then and due to the lack of technology in those days I got the good news when I saw two of the (complete dickhead) managers consoling each other. 
    I might be misremembering, but I think I was stacking shelves when I heard that we'd beaten Norwich and/or lost to Sheffield Weds. Did either of those things happen on that run in?
  • Options
    I’ve not been so scared at a football match as that day. Not sure I can revisit that 
  • Options
    Still get the shivers at Fulham Broadway station 
  • Options
    Will never forget big Carl once he had come round. Took 3 or 4 of our players to stop him lumping one of theirs.
  • Options
    I was sat in the Chelsea side stand. Couldn’t stop myself jumping up when we equalised. Scared to bits after.
  • Options
    Such an intimidating sight at Fulham Broadway station seeing all those police with dogs lined up. Never forget how crazy I went when Miller scored though.  :D I liked the play off format when it was like that too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was with my brother in the stand and managed to get moved onto our bit of terrace. It was a great result but a very intimidating experience. Luckily we had gone by car so avoided Fulham Broadway after the game.
  • Options
    Funnily enough I watched this last week as part of a Chelsea season review, only place I could find it. One of the most blatantly obvious outside of the box pen for Chelsea but we got our own back with a seriously fluky equalizer. Bolder then made a blinder  of a save. I was 12 and in the west stand with my Chelsea supporting dad and brother! And I got up to celebrate the equalizer!! Happy days!! 
  • Options
    Is it on youtube ?
  • Options
    The Chelsea season highlights are on YouTube for Year 87/88
  • Options
    Sure it was this game that I’d gone with Chelsea supporting cousins. When I got back to the car afterwards they’d left without me. Happy days.
  • Options
    I don't recall anything intimidating happening after the game.  On the tube on the way to Fulham Broadway was a bit dicey as the carriages were mixed .

Same walking to the away end from the station.  In the ground was fine.  They made a big mistake coming in our end. 

One of the best away days. 
  • Options
    If I recall correctly they kept us in for nearly an hour after the game? So when we did get out, the streets were virtually deserted, which was pretty unnerving in itself. Kept expecting to turn a corner and find half the Shed End waiting for us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Games like this were at a time before I was aware of Football

Amazes me though seeing that video and there being cars parked behind one of the goals cos there was no stand - I mean I went to Stamford Bridge the year we got relegated and feels like there was no time between those two games yet the Ground looks so different
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    If I recall correctly they kept us in for nearly an hour after the game? So when we did get out, the streets were virtually deserted, which was pretty unnerving in itself. Kept expecting to turn a corner and find half the Shed End waiting for us.
    They were at Earls Court. However, in anticipation we had all our lot in one carriage right at end of train. So they could only come at us in one direction across a narrow platform. So the few who actually got at us, took a hiding.  
  • Options
    My first away game as an adult, indeed my first Charlton game as an adult. Took two friends from Uni for their first ever game, start at the top  :D

I remember all the aggro during the game, the National Front recruiters outside the ground, but had no bother afterwards, probably because we weren't changing at Earls Court.
  • Options
    7th May 1988 - last match of the regular season in the old First Division. Having survived the previous season by beating Leeds in extra time of the play-off final, Charlton go to Stamford Bridge needing at least a draw to avoid having to go through the experience all over again, while Chelsea need to win or it'll be their turn.
    In traditional match thread style, here are the teams:
    Chelsea: Kevin Hitchcock; Steve Clarke, Joe McLaughlin, Colin Pates, Tony Dorigo; Pat Nevin, Steve Wicks, John Bumstead, Clive Wilson; Kerry Dixon, Gordon Durie 
    Subs: Colin West, Kevin Wilson
    Charlton: Bob Bolder; John Humphrey, Paul Miller, Peter Shirtliff, Mark Reid; Robert Lee, Mickey Bennett, Steve MacKenzie, Mark Stuart; Carl Leaburn, Garth Crooks. 
    Subs: Andy Jones, Paul Mortimer
    Ref is Darryl Reeves
  • Options
    Three of us each bought a video of that era and I believe still have them.

This game
    Charlton v Bolton 84?
    Man Utd v Charlton 86.
  • Options
    If you can find them, I may be able to transfer them to DVD, but I need to have a play about with my AV set up first.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    They were at Earls Court. However, in anticipation we had all our lot in one carriage right at end of train. So they could only come at us in one direction across a narrow platform. So the few who actually got at us, took a hiding.  
    It never stopped there for my lot we then had an all OFF with West ham at London bridge. 
    An eventful day to say the least. 
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    One of the best turnouts I have ever seen from Charlton, intimidated, not a chance 
  • Options
    And the teams are coming out of the tunnel...
    (If you haven't got your video paused ready at kick off, you need to start playing it from the beginning now)