Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Battle of the Bridge watchalong - kick off 3pm - Match thread

Comments

• Options
    aliwibble said:
    aliwibble said:
    West gets clattered on the edge of the Charlton area by Miller, but ref waves play on.
    Those of you watching the video may have noticed that the picture breaks up horribly at that point. That's because my Dad rewound the video and played it back frame by frame multiple times to try to work out exactly how Paul Miller had fouled Colin West.
    That's a pity, because to this day, I'm convinced that I saw Miller karate chop him as he went in. And what I know for sure, because we were in line with the tunnel, was that Miller was scrapping with Chelsea players as they headed to the dressing rooms. Nasty bit of work he was, but no way was he going to leave that pitch on the losing side. Cometh the hour...
  • Options
    They repeat it again after the players have gone down the tunnel. If you're quick with your mouse on the pause button you can get close enough to frame by frame. Looks to me like he clotheslined him.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Wasn't there and hadn't seen that before. Thanks @aliwibble

What period of the game was the aggro in our end?
    It was straight after Chelsea scored, a bunch of them were jumping around and hadn’t noticed Selwyn and Co behind them. A poor choice of viewing position on their part.
    I think it was earlier, before they scored. As we were in reality a small firm with a hardcore of about 40-50 Who travelled everywhere and couple hundred add ons who were mostly home games only.  So the Chelsea a gang of 40 Hooligan looking blokes who nobody recognised stuck out like a sore thumb. They were definately Chelsea firm,  Christ knows how stupid they were to think we wouldn’t spot them. We were all around them, waiting for them to start, I thought it was just after kick off.  They were getting battered, and ended up at front by the fencing. But, the classic was, the steward didn’t have the ability to get a gate open. They were stuck there for about 10 minutes until someone turned up to let them out. Obviously surrounded by the old bill. 
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    aliwibble said:
    West gets clattered on the edge of the Charlton area by Miller, but ref waves play on.
    Those of you watching the video may have noticed that the picture breaks up horribly at that point. That's because my Dad rewound the video and played it back frame by frame multiple times to try to work out exactly how Paul Miller had fouled Colin West.
    That's a pity, because to this day, I'm convinced that I saw Miller karate chop him as he went in. And what I know for sure, because we were in line with the tunnel, was that Miller was scrapping with Chelsea players as they headed to the dressing rooms. Nasty bit of work he was, but no way was he going to leave that pitch on the losing side. Cometh the hour...
    Spot on. I was right in front of the incident and without a shadow of doubt Miller threw a right hander that just laid the Chelsea player out. To this day I still can't believe the referee never gave a penalty. 

One of the most amazing games I have ever been to. A few weeks later I actually went down to the Chelsea shop and bought a video of the game. Can remember getting some funny looks when I asked for it! 
  • Options
    Wasn't there and hadn't seen that before. Thanks @aliwibble

What period of the game was the aggro in our end?
    It was straight after Chelsea scored, a bunch of them were jumping around and hadn’t noticed Selwyn and Co behind them. A poor choice of viewing position on their part.
    I think it was earlier, before they scored. As we were in reality a small firm with a hardcore of about 40-50 Who travelled everywhere and couple hundred add ons who were mostly home games only.  So the Chelsea a gang of 40 Hooligan looking blokes who nobody recognised stuck out like a sore thumb. We were all around them, waiting for them to start, I thought it was just after kick off.  They were getting battered, and ended up at front by the fencing. But, the classic was, the steward didn’t have the ability to get a gate open. They were stuck there for about 10 minutes until someone turned up to let them out. Obviously surrounded by the old bill. 
    Yes it was just after they scored ,I was right in the middle of it.I "accidently "trod on one .Seem to remember the police videoing it rather than going in to break it up.Then sending in "snatch squads to arrest people.
  • Options
    None of my lot were B-mob, but one of us would be told if anything was going to happen. We could number in double figures depending on the game. I remember going to meet IP in The Guy in welling for arrangements for the "long walk" against CP. But we were there at different points over the years. The march thru Stratford for Spurs in Fa cup 82, Arsenal mid week, CS gas repercussions from this game. We were the 'add ons' lol
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    aliwibble said:
    LOL that happened with my copy at the point where Chelsea got their penalty. John Humphrey is innocent!
  • Options
    Is this video still available.....I missed it?
  • Options
    Thankyou very much  for sharing this ...... really enjoyed watching it. I was there in the middle terrace behind the goal. I remember it being intimidating but I wouldn't say terrifying. Im 51 now and this seems a lifetime ago. Its amazing to think that one of the common threads of my life is 37 years of being an Addick  
  • Options
    I was there but strangely have limited memories of the day. Vividly remember the Leeds playoff games the year before and went to Leeds and st Andrews. All that I remember is miller's goal and Carlo wanting to kill someone!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That was an awful decision for their penalty
  • Options
    Remember that day well. Bag of nerves throughout the game, thinking we’d let in a late goal. But that team, that era lead by Lennie, always fought against the odds. Loved that mid to late 80s period even though it meant traipsing across to Sellout.
    I think Chelsea were top in the December but may be wrong ?
  • Options
    Always regretted missing this game. I was actually in a coal mine while the game was on. I was staying at my girlfriends place in Prestatyn and her old man was fairly senior manager at the Point of Ayr colliery. He invited me to see the place and took me down there. Wasn’t allowed to go all the way to the actual coal face but went down fairly deep, it was a fascinating day.

Got back to the town and met my mate (he was knocking off my girlfriends mate), who told me the result. Had a great night out but got some strange looks when we started singing Charlton songs. 
  • Options
    Always regretted missing this game. I was actually in a coal mine while the game was on. I was staying at my girlfriends place in Prestatyn and her old man was fairly senior manager at the Point of Ayr colliery. He invited me to see the place and took me down there. Wasn’t allowed to go all the way to the actual coal face but went down fairly deep, it was a fascinating day.

Got back to the town and met my mate (he was knocking off my girlfriends mate), who told me the result. Had a great night out but got some strange looks when we started singing Charlton songs. 
    Did you ask her to bend down and Prestatyn

• Options
    Great day out - Drink up town before game.Never a pen but then Chelski getting battered in our end seemed some sort of justice.Remember Selwyn gettin thrown out with his other half.The Carlo incident was great - just wish we had footage of it.As I live in Wimbledon had to travel back there with another well known poster on here who now lives abroad.Went to Chelski Borough game which sent them down with Chelski mates and an Everton fan ( remember holding hands together as it all kicked off big time as Chelski were relegated and and enjoyed every minute of it) Happy days
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Was in the main Chelsea stand, but the atmosphere was so vile I walked through to the The Shed after they scored.
    Watched the reminder of the game from there and the atmosphere was far less hateful. 
    In terms of watching the game, it was up there with Leeds at St Andrews for gut wrenching nerves.
  • Options
    Yep. It's not one from the OS, so it's not time limited. If you click on the video link on the first post in the thread you should be able to watch it.
  • Options
    What a day on and off the pitch and will still stick with my comment from the day on our goal. What a lob from Miller!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Did buy the video of this game but sadly got lost during moving five years sgo
  • Options
    I swear to god I played in (footballing terms) higher quality Sunday League games in the Woolwich and District league than that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It was attritional to put it politely. I think we kept our heads slightly better than Chelsea, having said that we didn’t create a lot and Bob Bolder made one save from a Durie free kick which I was convinced had beat him. There was far more happening off the ball than on it overall.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    Yep. It's not one from the OS, so it's not time limited. If you click on the video link on the first post in the thread you should be able to watch it.
    Thanks ali.👍
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    Off_it said:
    Have you got to the bit where you can see me on the video yet?
    I dunno @off_it, where were you?
    55.11. Over on the right towards the top. Looking at my watch.

Heady days.
  • Options
    Racist chanting from The Shed and they had black players themselves. Nice to see it get Leaburn fired up though. Crap match generally.
  • Options
    Thanks for posting that really enjoyed it an brought back so many good memories. 

Was it really 32 years ago, I can recall it so clearly. Drank in the Wheatsheaf before and kept my mouth shut. 
    Millwall had Blackburn that day going and as it sold out there were a few Millwall floating about as well. 
    Can remember the game clearly, the non-penalty, the crowd trouble, the Miller goal taking forever to hit the back of the net and thinking Jones had scored as we were so far away. Bolders one handed save from the free kick and Dorigos chance at the end. 
    Then stuck in the ground for what seemed at least an hour and back to the valley club for player of the year. 
    Went to every league game that season home and away (missed one league cup away) attending football was much more fun then. Def  my favourite period following the team, Bolder Humphrey, Walsh Melrose, Reid, Shirtliff, Gritt and Thomo still amongst my favourite players

There was Millwall at Chelsea v Charlton because our game had sold out? So because they couldn’t get in to the match at The Den they went to Stamford bridge, instead of just staying around New Cross and the surrounding areas and celebrating us getting to the top flight for the first (and only) time in our history? Sorry mate, I find that hard to believe. 

There was a huge party in our little corner of SE London that day. The last place any Millwall fan would want to be would be at Chelsea v Charlton. 

• Options
    edited May 2020
    think  he was talking at the wheat sheaf in Borough  
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    MrOneLung said:
    Aaaa, ignore me then. My bad. Read it wrong. 
  • Options
    Racist chanting from The Shed and they had black players themselves. Nice to see it get Leaburn fired up though. Crap match generally.
    because I lived in SW London then we'd all met up in Putney at the Half Moon.  Couple of Chelsea saw us carrying programmes, and were a bit presumptious . "Coon went a bit crazy, didn't he?" I couldn't resist replying  "you mean the Charlton coon or the Chelsea coon?" I held my breath half expecting a swift right hander, but a look of utter defeat passed across his face and they just slunk inside. Delicious.
  • Options
    because I lived in SW London then we'd all met up in Putney at the Half Moon.  Couple of Chelsea saw us carrying programmes, and were a bit presumptious . "Coon went a bit crazy, didn't he?" I couldn't resist replying  "you mean the Charlton coon or the Chelsea coon?" I held my breath half expecting a swift right hander, but a look of utter defeat passed across his face and they just slunk inside. Delicious.
    2-1 Charlton.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Aaaa, ignore me then. My bad. Read it wrong. 
    Yes sorry should have been clearer. 

Still can’t believe it was 32 years ago!!