Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket Summer 2020

Comments

• Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    Wherefore art thou, Zak.....
    Fun fact Fanny - wherefore means why. (Well, it's not a very fun fact, but nor is this start to a game)
    So, Will got that wrong ?

"Why are you , Romeo "

Just as well he didn't post on here.....
    Well, he got it right. Juliet opens that monologue lamenting that he is a Montague and not of some other family, because they're in love, but as their families are feuding, any relationship is unacceptable. Hence star-crossed lovers and all that.
    OK, OK, young 'un.

When I was at school in the Dark Ages, I don't recall this being pointed out but my little grey cells are struggling these days.

BTW. 

In these worrying  times for our beloved club,  the word "fun" is like a red rag to a bull !

😣
  • Options
    And it's not getting much better.....
  • Options
    When you're out of nick you're out of nick!

0-1

Jason Roy gone first ball of the match
    his was a crazy selection .. he had had virtually no cricket this year .. let's see if Root can actually take root for a few overs
    I just MUST keep up .. I am even more convinced that Root is not a proper one day batsman .. he is too 'cultured' for the 1 day game

He has an average of 50, best in the England team
  • Options
    All these Kent batsmen, 'arriving' as England players!
  • Options
    the BBC pundits are discussing whether Billings should be 'retained' in the 50 over team .. what a bunch of numpties .. a t m he is irreplaceable .. having typed that, he is just out ((:<)
  • Options
    the BBC pundits are discussing whether Billings should be 'retained' in the 50 over team .. what a bunch of numpties .. a t m he is irreplaceable .. having typed that, he is just out ((:<)
    Should be debating Roy and leave Billings alone.
  • Options
    at least the Aussies will be batting in the dark(ish)
  • Options

James Anderson

England bowler on Test Match Special

Sam Billings has given the captain and coach a bit of selection headache. Having someone like him in the squad and showing the form he has, when Ben Stokes does come back, it will be a tricky one. How do you keep him in? Or do you just use him in the squad as a back-up player almost?

The more he plays like this the more you feel he's got a chance of staying in the team. It's a bit like Dawid Malan in the T20 side - he's become the number one batsman in the side - he's almost undroppable.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Roy averages 40+ in ODI cricket. Maybe he shouldn't have been selected for this series on the basis he hasn't played in so long, but his place in the side is secure. 

The problem England now have (which isn't a bad one to have) is that they have Roy, Bairstow, Morgan, Root, Buttler and Billings to get into the side. That's not even including Malan and Banton. Roy and Bairstow have to open, Root is the best selection at 3, Morgan is the captain and Buttler is one of the most destructive limited overs batsman in the world. Billings has had a great series but probably doesn't make the team. Unless you go 6 batsman with Stokes at 7 and play only 5 bowlers (with Root as a second choice spin option). 
  • Options
    Not so sure Roy's place is secure
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Totally agree. 

Surely our Zak has to be a serious contender to open .....
  • Options
    Totally agree. 

Surely our Zak has to be a serious contender to open .....
    Exactly
  • Options
    When he was injured in the World Cup last year we looked like we were going out. His return sparked our upturn in form. He shouldn't be anywhere near the test team but he's a crucial member of our ODI side. 

I'd prefer to let Crawley find his feet in test matches before using him in limited overs. 
  • Options
    Roy averages 40+ in ODI cricket. Maybe he shouldn't have been selected for this series on the basis he hasn't played in so long, but his place in the side is secure. 

The problem England now have (which isn't a bad one to have) is that they have Roy, Bairstow, Morgan, Root, Buttler and Billings to get into the side. That's not even including Malan and Banton. Roy and Bairstow have to open, Root is the best selection at 3, Morgan is the captain and Buttler is one of the most destructive limited overs batsman in the world. Billings has had a great series but probably doesn't make the team. Unless you go 6 batsman with Stokes at 7 and play only 5 bowlers (with Root as a second choice spin option). 
    same as with Root .. for how long do you keep selecting players on past form and against whom the runs were made ? .. I can't quote any stats. it just seems that Root's and Roy's form is deteriorating .. also Buttler, either a ton or one 
  • Options

same as with Root .. for how long do you keep selecting players on past form and against whom the runs were made ? .. I can't quote any stats. it just seems that Root's and Roy's form is deteriorating .. also Buttler, either a ton or one 
    Obviously a big fan of Crawley but he does still needs to be nurtured to develop to his best
  • Options
    whatever, this is a great recovery from England and will be hard to beat .. over 300 from 0-2
  • Options
    Unreal from Woakes at the end, great bit of batting. 
  • Options
    another one who gets better the older he gets .. (older is relative, he's 31 y o)
  • Options
    That reverse flick is one of the most insane bits of touch I've ever seen
  • Options

Root is ranked 8th in the ODI batting rankings, Roy at 13. We won the World Cup last year and haven’t lost a series in 3 years. We’re ranked the number 1 team in the world. And yet you’ve criticised 3 batsman in that post, unbelievable. 

I get the past form statement. But we’re not talking 18 months since these batsman were last in nick. If it’s not broken...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Another truly staggering piece of batting, this time from Stoinis, to turn a clear leg-side wide into a wicket 
  • Options
    I have to say that after losing two wickets in the 1st two balls to make 300 is quite remarkable. 
  • Options
    Suck on that Warner you prick
  • Options
    4 down 
  • Options
    Damn.I thought this game was tomorrow/
  • Options
    Are Aussie struggling a bit now? Maxwell last throw of the dice?
  • Options
    Rudders22 said:
    Damn.I thought this game was tomorrow/
    The ODI swapped days with the takeover announcement 
  • Options
    Not a good idea to bowl a no ball.
  • Options
    Not a good idea to bowl a no ball.
    If nothing else it keeps the tension as it would have been virtually game over if Carey had gone then
  • Options
    Getting a bit tasty here, matter of CMs in that.