Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Queens Park Rangers | Post-match Thread | Saturday 27th June 2020

Comments

• Options
    RedRyan said:
    Sorry for my misspelling guys, I was doing it on my phone while watching a film and just trying to be as quick as possible!  :#

Don’t we traditionally fare better against “better” opposition anyway? I seem to recall thinking that when we lost to eg Boro, Luton, Hudds compared to wins against Nottm and Leeds...plus draws with eg WBA, Fulham
    Undefeated against the top 6. 3 wins, 6 draws.
  • Options
    RedRyan said:

Interesting looking at the games coming up. A lot of our relegation rivals still have to play each other, which is good as they can’t all get 3 points. A fair few (including us) still have a good number of teams chasing playoff positions to play too which in theory should be difficult for them (and us?) to get points from it.

Today was another essential 3 points in our battle to avoid relegation. I think we have a few more wins ahead of us too! And looking at the games around us (as much as we shouldn’t rely on other teams to help us out!) I think we have a very good chance to make it out of this the other side!
    Avoid defeat vs Wigan. 2 wins from 3 vs mid table. Sneaky point from one game vs top 8. That should be plenty to keep us up. 
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    RedRyan said:

Interesting looking at the games coming up. A lot of our relegation rivals still have to play each other, which is good as they can’t all get 3 points. A fair few (including us) still have a good number of teams chasing playoff positions to play too which in theory should be difficult for them (and us?) to get points from it.

Today was another essential 3 points in our battle to avoid relegation. I think we have a few more wins ahead of us too! And looking at the games around us (as much as we shouldn’t rely on other teams to help us out!) I think we have a very good chance to make it out of this the other side!
    A great summary that, even if you misspelled Millwall  :D 

I'd be a bit worried if I was a Stoke fan, their next 3 games are Wigan, Barnsley and Leeds, and unlike us they don't have momentum after the break

Boro are playing a lot of teams with nothing to play for, and Colin you know will fire them up.

• Options
    3blokes said:
    Great result. 👍🏻👍🏻
    Heard a Rangers fan got into our end, but after a bit of paper thin bravado from him, he got no backing from anyone else and he folded pretty easily. And later someone flattened him. 😑
    There’s always one eh, who just has to. 😐
    I’ll get my coat 🙂🚶‍♂️
    I don't know about anyone else, but I was a bit worried about the lack of spacing between them (to say nothing of how none were wearing masks), and was left wondering if it was legal (or maybe quarto). 

We could easily be shredded by such a cavalier approach... 
    3blokes said:
    Great result. 👍🏻👍🏻
    Heard a Rangers fan got into our end, but after a bit of paper thin bravado from him, he got no backing from anyone else and he folded pretty easily. And later someone flattened him. 😑
    I’ll get my coat 🙂🚶‍♂️
    I don't know about anyone else, but I was a bit worried about the lack of spacing between them (to say nothing of how none were wearing masks), and was left wondering if it was legal (or maybe quarto). 

3blokes said:
    Great result. 👍🏻👍🏻
    I’ll get my coat 🙂🚶‍♂️

3blokes said:
    Great result. 👍🏻👍🏻
    I’ll get my coat 🙂🚶‍♂️

I hope that a proper risk assessment was done, I mean the paper cuts?
  • Options
    Think I’m think I’m going to give the player marks thread a miss for a while. @lancashire lad does a brilliant job on this and the season long analysis is really insightful. But people are making a mockery of it by giving ridiculous marks to some players (Bonne has been getting 7s and 8s for the last two week when he is clearly out of his depth). He’s not the only one. This isn’t just a Bonne thing. I know this is all subjective but honestly!!!  Some others are giving blanket 10s because we won. I get the sentiment but that is just plain daft. Both of these trends really impact on the worth of the overall stats and is a waste of the bloke’s time who is doing all this for our collective benefit. Over and out. Grumpy of Dartford. 
    I gave everyone 9 or 9.5 against Hull because the it's not just about the absolute performance on the day, the context in which it occurs is relevant.  Having been shite for a few games on the trot, digging out that 1-0 win was IMMENSE.  Hence, my scores.
  • Options
    Another vital win and huge credit to Bowyer and the lads.
    The bottom 7 are the only clubs involved now, we can safely ignore Wigan and above.
    I look at our remaining fixtures and believe it is unrealistic to expect us to win more than 2 games.
    2 wins and a draw gives us 52 points and a great chance of beating the drop.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I do assume that anyone who just gives everyone 10 is ignored.

Pratley, nailed-on player of the season? There are at least three better candidates 
    Tough one this year. There are a few in the runni;which is great as so many have dug deep. Don't discount Cullen or even Phillips
  • Options
    ChiAddick said:
    Huge result. Hopefully if results go our way it could be a pivotal weekend. Do we want a Stoke Boro draw or a Stoke win? I'm inclined to go for a Stoke win.
    I never understand why people even ask this question. Surely it's a no brainer. If everyone draws, you can be champions with one win all season finishing on 48 points. Just think about it.
  • Options
    FYI for those curious yet didnt hear the reason

Charlton didnt use their dressing room today because current rules state that both dressing rooms cant be used if the tunnel is a narrow one
    Gives new meaning to 'he's lost the dressing room.'
  • Options
    Wigan home and dry 2-0
    2nd in the league in 2020. We should want them to win so that they are home and dry by time them play us. We can then offer them cigars before the match.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Think I’m think I’m going to give the player marks thread a miss for a while. @lancashire lad does a brilliant job on this and the season long analysis is really insightful. But people are making a mockery of it by giving ridiculous marks to some players (Bonne has been getting 7s and 8s for the last two week when he is clearly out of his depth). He’s not the only one. This isn’t just a Bonne thing. I know this is all subjective but honestly!!!  Some others are giving blanket 10s because we won. I get the sentiment but that is just plain daft. Both of these trends really impact on the worth of the overall stats and is a waste of the bloke’s time who is doing all this for our collective benefit. Over and out. Grumpy of Dartford. 
    The good thing with all the matches available to watch is that we get a good number of Lifers marking so the odd "unusual" mark will get averaged out.
    So go on Grumpy do your marks
    I’ve done them mate 👍. I just cant believe how many people seem to be watching a different game.   
    Who's the sillybilly?
  • Options
    3blokes said:
    Great result. 👍🏻👍🏻
    I’ll get my coat 🙂🚶‍♂️

Some particularly niche punning there Norn, bravo.
  • Options
    We're becoming QPR's bogey team
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Think I’m think I’m going to give the player marks thread a miss for a while. @lancashire lad does a brilliant job on this and the season long analysis is really insightful.

But people are making a mockery of it by giving ridiculous marks to some players (Bonne has been getting 7s and 8s for the last two week when he is clearly out of his depth). He’s not the only one. This isn’t just a Bonne thing. I know this is all subjective but honestly!!!  Some others are giving blanket 10s because we won. I get the sentiment but that is just plain daft. Both of these trends really impact on the worth of the overall stats and is a waste of the bloke’s time who is doing all this for our collective bene:smile:

Over and out. Grumpy of Dartford. 
    lol Sillybilly ........ but some posters will always mark with preconceptions and high emotion straight after a game, rather than realistically assess a player's actual performance.

Perhaps we need to impose a 'no kneejerk response' ruling ....... and not open the Players Marks thread until after a 24hr cooling off period?  :smile:

I was straight 10s after the whistle, but said I’d alter after I’d calmed down, which I did. 
    It’s been this way since I’ve been a member, so evens out in the end. 
  • Options
    RedRyan said:

Birmingham and Reading are only four points above us with what, seven to play? And we have a better goal difference than Brum.

Wigan match will be massive, obviously. Forest and Bristol City winning tomorrow would be really helpful. If Hudds lose those bottom four start to look like they're starting to play a mini-league of their own. I don't think we're safe by any stretch, but I'd take two points from the next two games before we play Wigan at The Valley. 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    RedRyan said:

Like the chart but it is Nottm, not Notts.

Yep, it's always Notts County and Nottm Forest.

Or just say Forest. 
  • Options
    I think Stoke are in big trouble, some real tough games there. Fancy us to stay up, need another 3 next week. 

Out of interest, if you were offered a guaranteed win against Cardiff and a loss against the Scum would you take it? I'd say no but tempting. 
  • Options
    Wigan home and dry 2-0
    2nd in the league in 2020. We should want them to win so that they are home and dry by time them play us. We can then offer them cigars before the match.
    Definitely. With them still to play Stoke Barnsley and Hull I'm happy for them to keep on winning. Then with us and them 5 points clear of 22nd we have a nice friendly 0-0 at the Valley. 
  • Options
    I'd arguably say that every team in the division still has something to play for. All teams down to Bristol City in 12th have play-off potential, QPR in 13th with 50 points are not yet clear of the relegation zone.

By this time next week and two morw games down the line this position will be much clearer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RedRyan said:

Mid-table sort of defines a side as having nothing to play for.

Millwall are 5 points off the play offs and the highest remaining side they play are Blackburn in 9th.
    If Bristol City win today at home to a poor Sheffield Weds side then they will be 7th and just 2 points off the play offs.

Teams facing those 2 will be tough games.
  • Options
    Whilst the full season table is rightly the one everybody is concentrating upon, for form we should solely be looking at these 9 games as a new season. Every new season, last season’s form book largely goes out the window particularly at the start. There are always the bookies and newspaper pundit favourites and then there is reality when unfancied teams win and fancied teams lose. Sometimes those teams that start well don’t keep the run going, sometimes winning becomes a habit. Similarly for those teams that start poorly. Usually it’s around the 10 game mark that the season starts to give a better picture of which teams are likely to win and which teams are likely to struggle. After that the weather starts to turn and adds another factor in as the playing conditions start to change. Club injury rooms also start to get busier by then. In this 9 game ‘new’ season we won’t reach that 10 game milestone and the weather isn’t going to change the playing conditions. Charlton have kicked off with two wins and two clean sheets, the playing conditions suit our game and the injury list isn’t a problem. Where another team sits in the full season table at the moment means as much as that pre season alphabetical table printed in newspapers. The remaining 7 games are all winnable no matter where the other team sits in the full season table.

This is spot on.

The pre-Covid table is irrelevant - this is now a nine-game mini-league effectively and what happened pre-March 15th or whenever the shutters came down doesn't matter any more to current outcomes.

Some teams play well in the winter and have better fitness to get through the mid-winter slog....we certainly don't.

Our lot play high-energy football and that is best suited to flat pitches and warm weather - and a fully fit squad.
  • Options
    Williams over McGeady for me but Bows knows what he's doing.
  • Options
    Another vital win and huge credit to Bowyer and the lads.
    The bottom 7 are the only clubs involved now, we can safely ignore Wigan and above.
    I look at our remaining fixtures and believe it is unrealistic to expect us to win more than 2 games.
    2 wins and a draw gives us 52 points and a great chance of beating the drop.
    Disagree completely on this, there are only eight points between third from bottom Huddersfield and QPR in thirteenth and still 21 points to play for.

Some of those teams are in awful form and are very vulnerable indeed....I don’t think anyone from QPR down to Barnsley are either safe or doomed.
    All a matter of opinion, but if you fancy backing any of the teams above us for relegation, these are the best odds available:

Wigan 33/1
    Birmingham 100/1
    Reading 150/1
    QPR 200/1
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    @Sillybilly
    Did you think Bonne was out of his depth when in the absence of Taylor earlier in the season he scored and assisted vital goals ?

Bonne, Hemed and Aneke are not Sharp in the box at the moment despite doing some good work in the build up play. For Charlton to stay in the Championship; over the next seven matches, one, two or all 3, or even Davidson need to find the back of the net.
    (If he is involved ?)

Whenever Charlton win all players get higher ratings than they deserve in some cases, and vice versa when we lose.

Like @Covered End I believe the next 3 games are really tough and with most of the bottom 7 winning yesterday afternoon we have so much more still to do. (At least Hull blew their lead and Wall didn't roll over and have their tummy tickled against Barnsley)

Personally, it has to be Alfie coming in for McGeady, as we need to give our forwards more to feed on. Williams can do a cameo also but not if we are set up too defensive.

I don't see another clean sheet as the opposition forwards will get sharper as they get match fit. Let's hope that Bonne, Hemed, and Aneke get sharper in the box or otherwise the departed striker will continue to be sorely missed.

Ps. I still feel that decent Right side pacey forwards in the championship will expose Ossie at LB, despite he has done ok so far because for some reason the opposition coaches at Hull and QPR didn't seem to realise he can't tackle with his left foot !