Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Summer Transfer Rumours 2020 (DEADLINE DAY from pg.258)

Comments

• Options
    can someone explain to me how we can strengthen the side when we are already most likely somewhere close to the cap? Sell some players? If so who? 
    Buy a proper striker, like a poacher. Doesn't necessarily do much else but scores every game. Not knocking our current ones but we do need one who we can pretty much guarantee scores every other. 
    Edit- Danish striker we nearly got deadline day would fit. 

Possibly another Centre Back, i know we have a few options but with Famewo injured we dont really want to put Pratley back there and a busy schedule. 

Midfield seems pretty fine right now, but if there is any additional quality which would take us further , pretty tough but looking at someone who could cut it in the championship. Not needed but always worth looking about right now must be some bargains

Goalkeeper, i am pretty happy with current and back up, we could go for someone so AMB goes on loan but not really fussed either way AMB deserves a spot on the bench 
    But who is this striker? You said a player who scores every game, or you can guarantee will score one every other game. That's either a 36 or 18 goal striker from this point. Who have you seen that's available so far this season within our budget?
  • Options
    Unfortunately you can only shift players out that others want. Ideally we need to root out the constant malingerers like Aneke, JFC, Pearce and Williams, but I guess we can finally offload in the summer when their contracts expire.
    Bit harsh? Pearce is a decent CB at this level, JFC been much better this season and Aneke is a real asset (admittedly his lack of fitness is a concern). 
    They are just not fit though. Should we go up all 3 will be history.
  • Options
    Unfortunately you can only shift players out that others want. Ideally we need to root out the constant malingerers like Aneke, JFC, Pearce and Williams, but I guess we can finally offload in the summer when their contracts expire.
    Bit harsh? Pearce is a decent CB at this level, JFC been much better this season and Aneke is a real asset (admittedly his lack of fitness is a concern). 
    Indeed - Pearce played some part in all bar 7 of our 46 League games last season. Only Lockyer of the outfield players played more minutes. 
  • Options
    I think we ok for ever other place.... for me 2 strikers. one on a perm and one loan... but trouble is we would need to let one player leave on a perm. Trouble is nobody can afford anyone at the mo due to wage cap and with no money coming in through the turnstiles. For that will be the difference between us finishing in the play offs or top 2.  Are there any striker free agents out there that haven't got a club at the mo?
  • Options
    I hope we sign at least one young talent from L1, L2, NL in January. One that won’t count towards the cap or won’t expect massive wages. Luke Jephcott of Plymouth or Jack Tucker of Gillingham maybe?
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    A lot depends on who might be exiting. 

I agree that now we have no Cups that AMB should be allowed to get a loan move to allow for him to play first team football preferably in L2. Interestingly the rules on Keeper recalls are different. Stoke have just recalled Bursik from Doncaster which means that the Yorkshire club have signed Joe Lumley of QPR an emergency loan. Therefore AMB could be recalled in a way an outfield player can't. 

In defence as long as Akin does not get recalled I am happy. Might Deji want to move on as he goes into his last six months? 

Likewise I would be happy with the current midfield. However I could see Levitt and Shinnie being recalled, or if possible could we sign the Scotsman on a permanent basis? That could open up a new loan place.

Up front Smyth indicates in his interview with the SLPthat he has a recall  clause with Qpr and in any case I would like to see another option. 
  • Options
    MattF said:
    Sage said:
    I can see Oztumer leave on a permanent deal in January, and I think that, as well as the little bit of wriggle room we have in the budget, will probably be enough to bring in two players. One is likely to be a striker.

Whoever we bring in, they’ve got to have a bit of pace, because without Doughty, we only really have Smyth who is naturally very quick. Pace in this league, especially at the top end of the pitch, will destroy opponents. It’s why Grant scored so many goals for us for example.
    I don't think we know the % of wages that Bristol Rovers are paying Oztumer but if it's high it's probably not going to add much to the budget even if he does go permanently. 
    The only way losing Oztumer would free up any wages is if Bristol Rovers are currently paying less than £1700 a week, which seems unlikely if Oztumer and Lasplie going meant we got Shinnie and Smyth (although sounds like we're not paying much for them)
    Yeah fair point, either way Oztumer leaving isn't going to free up anything. I'd be very surprised if we can sign anymore than one player with what's left in the budget. Unless of course someone else in the squad leaves. 
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    I don't think we need to strengthen anywhere. We may want to weed out some chaff in the summer (hopefully to strengthen for the champ and never have this shit pit of a league darken our door again)

But we are league one and have a mostly full cap. It will be a case of replacing any quality that gets poached / recalled.

Tin hat time, but we could lose Famewu and Maatson, to champ loans / fees for loans. We may have to accept an offer for Doughty/ Chuks/ Deji.
  • Options
    I hope we sign at least one young talent from L1, L2, NL in January. One that won’t count towards the cap or won’t expect massive wages. Luke Jephcott of Plymouth or Jack Tucker of Gillingham maybe?
    How much do you think Plymouth would want for a 20 year old striker, who's become their star player, one of the divisions leading scorers and just made his U21 international debut?

It'll be way beyond what a league one side is budgeting for.
    Not so sure, there's a lot of clubs out there struggling financially. I'd imagine they'd be tempted to sell for 500k plus a few add ons. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't think we need to strengthen anywhere. We may want to weed out some chaff in the summer (hopefully to strengthen for the champ and never have this shit pit of a league darken our door again)

But we are league one and have a mostly full cap. It will be a case of replacing any quality that gets poached / recalled.

Tin hat time, but we could lose Famewu and Maatson, to champ loans / fees for loans. We may have to accept an offer for Doughty/ Chuks/ Deji.
    You might not think we do but Gallen and Geddy and TS have already hinted they do.
  • Options
    Guess Gallen etc. will always keep working and searching for players in January despite not needing to strengthen - Might be a case where we dont think so at the moment but we might suddenly get the opportunity to sign someone like Leo Messi

Do we say no because we think our squad is good enough - Or do we make the jump because we know the player incoming will make us even stronger and so increase the odds of promotion even further in our favour 
  • Options
    If someone is out there and we could bring them in, as long as they’re better than what we already got/will make the squad and team stronger, then we will make sure we do everything we can to bring them in.

We have an excellent squad with some strength in depth, for the first time in a long time, but we most certainly can get better and I am sure they will be aiming to do just that.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Richard J said:

Likewise I would be happy with the current midfield. However I could see Levitt and Shinnie being recalled, or if possible could we sign the Scotsman on a permanent basis? That could open up a new loan place.

As it stands, I can't see that we'd want to sign Shinnie on a permanent in January.

It's been indicated that Luton did us a big favour by allowing us to pay only a small part of his wages.
    The wage cap will stop us matching Shinnie's existing Luton contract.

The player is a free agent at the end of the season, anyway.

• Options
    If we sign anyone in January it will be a player who’s already capable of playing in the Championship. We’re planning for Championship football next year
  • Options
    I think we're a striker short, and the comments from Gallen suggest he thinks that too

Otherwise the current squad looks excellent, but we need to be prepared in case of recalls or injuries to have options in January
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Richard J said:

As it stands, I can't see that we'd want to sign Shinnie on a permanent in January.

It's been indicated that Luton did us a big favour by allowing us to pay only a small part of his wages.

A prime example of how the salary cap complicated things
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Richard J said:

Exactly. In previous seasons, we would have been able to take over a player's existing contract  that he had with his selling club.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Richard J said:

Exactly. In previous seasons, we would have been able to take over a player's existing contract  that he had with his selling club.

Let's hope the squad live up to the potential and we go up this season, not having to worry about the salary cap and can finally kick on as a football club, together as one.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Richard J said:

In previously seasons we would have taken over the contract to the end of the season, or offered him slightly less in exchange for a 2 or 3 year deal

Unlike Palace with Williams, Luton certainly aren't in the financial position to pay him off either, ditto QPR with Smyth
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    How much do you think Plymouth would want for a 20 year old striker, who's become their star player, one of the divisions leading scorers and just made his U21 international debut?

Not so sure, there's a lot of clubs out there struggling financially. I'd imagine they'd be tempted to sell for 500k plus a few add ons. 
    I'd say there's almost no chance they'll sell him that cheap.

Even if they're struggling they'd probably be able to get at least 3 times that from a championship club.
  • Options
    Wow, he’s only played 19 minutes of league football since March 2018. 
    Good on him he still has the hunger, I’m sure someone will give him a chance.
  • Options
    Someone like Joe Garner at Wigan would be ideal. Very similar to the circumstances when we picked up Wright-Phillips from Plymouth. Depending on wages though,
  • Options
    Can't knock Halford's determination, fair play to him. But ultimately he's 36 in a couple of weeks and if he wasn't good enough for Aberdeen 2 years ago then i can't see that he's going to get much above league 2 level unless a club has a major injury/covid crisis.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Re: Halford. Given that you can have five subs now, he’d be worth a short term deal just to throw him on for some long throws if we’re chasing a game...
  • Options
    Can't knock Halford's determination, fair play to him. But ultimately he's 36 in a couple of weeks and if he wasn't good enough for Aberdeen 2 years ago then i can't see that he's going to get much above league 2 level unless a club has a major injury/covid crisis.

Probably be happy with that, obviously one of those players who want to play for the love of the game, bit like Ricardo Fuller still playing at 41
  • Options
    Total speculation this, but now that we TS , what about going in for Kasper Junker.

He has previously been linked to the UK, he's Danish and has scored 19 goals in 20 matches for Norwiegn champions Bodo Glimt , could prove the perfect foil to play along side a Chucks or Bogle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kasper_Junker
  • Options
    edited November 2020

I'd say there's almost no chance they'll sell him that cheap.

Even if they're struggling they'd probably be able to get at least 3 times that from a championship club.
    They probably could but that’s if a Championship team are interested. 

I don’t know anything about Plymouth’s financial position but I do know that a lot of lower league clubs are struggling. Players won’t go for as much as they would have this time last season.