Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

If we go down,who will be saying that Bowyer has worked miracles?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Come on, let's be honest, he's no Neil Harris.

Neil finished 8th after promotion on a shoestring budget and then 21st, one place below where you currently sit, He walked when we were 18th and now sits inside the play-offs with Cardiff after taking them from 14th place up to 6th. Now that's a good manager ;)
    Did he have to rebuild that promotion winning team?
    Yes. We had to sign the likes of Jed Wallace, George Saville, Conor McLaughlin, Tim Cahill, James Meredith, Jake Cooper and other loans throughout the season.

Looks like he had a bit of an eye for a player as well ;)
    Let me try another one. 
    We're you transfer embargoed after an injury crisis and unable to strengthen and did you have 3 owners in one season of which out the players future into uncertainty after they were told there was no money. 
  • Options
    LTKapal said:

Neil finished 8th after promotion on a shoestring budget and then 21st, one place below where you currently sit, He walked when we were 18th and now sits inside the play-offs with Cardiff after taking them from 14th place up to 6th. Now that's a good manager ;)
    Yes. We had to sign the likes of Jed Wallace, George Saville, Conor McLaughlin, Tim Cahill, James Meredith, Jake Cooper and other loans throughout the season.

Let me try another one. 
    We're you transfer embargoed after an injury crisis and unable to strengthen and did you have 3 owners in one season of which out the players future into uncertainty after they were told there was no money. 
    I knew someone would eventually get me.

No to all of the above :)
  • Options
    LTKapal said:

Let me try another one. 

Good.
    Now go and sit on the naughty step and don't move until you are told 😊
  • Options
    LTKapal said:

Let me try another one. 

Good.
    We did, however, have Ryan Tunnicliffe, Tom Elliott and Jordan Archer during that time ;)
  • Options
    This is an incredibly tough league to compete in with a low budget, let alone with a succession of dysfunctional owners with no long term strategy or cohesion with the playing side of the club. My biggest concern were we to be relegated is that Bowyer decides Charlton are a hopeless case and gives up on them.

Sure he probably makes mistakes like any manager but you saw the difference in skill levels between Brentford and Charlton last night. The one thing you could not fault last night, indeed for the whole season, was the effort the team put in. Add back 3 or 4 players with a bit more quality (e.g. Taylor, Gallagher etc) and Bowyer would have had them comfortably safe from relegation.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    With the exception of I’d say Taylor (now unavailable), Cullen, Phillips and Lockyer. Bowyer has pretty much a league one squad. Add into that the shenanigans of his entire tenure and I would suggest he’s done pretty well. Any team going up a division is always likely to be up against it. Survival is a success. We’re not relegated yet. 
    Nah, not having this. Bowyer has done a great job but it's not like the players he has at his disposal are plucky losers. Let's go through the squad, shall we?

Phillips - Championship quality easily
    Matthews - Championship quality easily
    Purrington - ok he's a League One standard player, but a decent one
    Oshilaja - I'm not actually sure. Some days he seems Championship, others League Two
    Lockyer - Championship quality easily
    Pearce - juuuuust about Championship quality, raises his game against better opponents
    Williams - Championship quality easily
    JFC - when fit, Championship quality
    Taylor
    Aneke - the jury is out but I certainly think he could be good enough for this league
    Page - we'll never know alas
    Amos - who cares?
    McGeady - a fraud who puts the lie to 'quality' 
    Pratley - Championship-quality defender
    Bonne - getting there
    Green - jury certainly out but has pedigree
    Morgan - Premiership-quality in training
    Solly 
    Sarr - when Forest sign him you'll realise
    Cullen - top Championship quality
    Hemed - has the pedigree and the class - does he have the pace any more? Maybe
    Field - Premiership-quality in training
    Oztumer - yeah ok we've finally reached another inarguable League One player. But a really good one!
    Lapslie - yeah League One
    Doughty - Premiership-quality in training

I think that paints a rather different picture, don't you?

• Options
    Compared to some teams, we do lack top end championship players who can pass the ball accurately and quickly. I'd argue only Cullen and Williams can actually do that for us atm.

It makes a big difference when it comes to breaking teams down. It is a bit telling that all of our goals post restart have come from headers.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Leuth said:

Phillips - Championship quality easily
    Matthews - Championship quality easily
    Purrington - ok he's a League One standard player, but a decent one
    Oshilaja - I'm not actually sure. Some days he seems Championship, others League Two
    Lockyer - Championship quality easily
    Pearce - juuuuust about Championship quality, raises his game against better opponents
    Williams - Championship quality easily
    JFC - when fit, Championship quality
    Taylor
    Aneke - the jury is out but I certainly think he could be good enough for this league
    Page - we'll never know alas
    Amos - who cares?
    McGeady - a fraud who puts the lie to 'quality' 
    Pratley - Championship-quality defender
    Bonne - getting there
    Green - jury certainly out but has pedigree
    Morgan - Premiership-quality in training
    Solly 
    Sarr - when Forest sign him you'll realise
    Cullen - top Championship quality
    Hemed - has the pedigree and the class - does he have the pace any more? Maybe
    Field - Premiership-quality in training
    Oztumer - yeah ok we've finally reached another inarguable League One player. But a really good one!
    Lapslie - yeah League One
    Doughty - Premiership-quality in training

I think that paints a rather different picture, don't you?

My views based on what we have seen this season not just since the return. 

Phillips - Championship 
    Amos - who cares? - Agree.

Matthews - Championship
    Purrington - Lower Championship
    Oshilaja - Lower Championship
    Lockyer - Championship
    Pearce - Lower Championship - Down to his pace. 
    Page - Injured all season, but previously Championship. 
    Solly - Bottle Job
    Sarr - Championship 

Williams - Championship
    JFC - Championship
    Field - Championship
    Oztumer - High L1/low Champ
    Lapslie - Mid League 1
    Doughty - Championship 
    McGeady - League 1/Lower Champ
    Pratley - Higher L1/ Lower Champ
    Green - League 1
    Morgan - Championship 
    Cullen - High Champ/Low Prem
    Gallagher - Premier League

Aneke - Lower Champ/Upper League 1
    Bonne - Lower Champ/Upper League 1
    Hemed - Low Championship, may score more with proper service, if he had pace he'd probably have 5 goals plus by now. 
    Davison - Lower Championship/Upper L1
    Leko - Championship 
    Taylor  Bottle Job.
  • Options
    Apart from Sarr and minimal fees for Bonne and Purrington do we have any other player who actually cost a transfer fee?

Pretty sure everyone else is a free transfer, a loan or came through the academy.

Compare that to Brentford last night whose keeper alone cost 3m.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Apart from Sarr and minimal fees for Bonne and Purrington do we have any other player who actually cost a transfer fee?

Pretty sure everyone else is a free transfer, a loan or came through the academy.

Pearce, JFC and I think we paid a fee for Page.
  • Options
    LTKapal said:

Let me try another one. 

Good.
    We did, however, have Ryan Tunnicliffe, Tom Elliott and Jordan Archer during that time ;)
    Just to prove what a nice bloke I am.
    I hope you win 5.0 Today. 
  • Options

To be fair Brentford also bring a lot of money in through player sales, so their net spend isn't high. They're very good at buying cheap and selling dear (e.g. with Konsa), whereas we've been terrible at it in recent years
  • Options
    DEFO HAS WORKED MIRACLES.RELEGATION OR NOT
  • Options

To be fair Brentford also bring a lot of money in through player sales, so their net spend isn't high. They're very good at buying cheap and selling dear (e.g. with Konsa), whereas we've been terrible at it in recent years
    Yeah they run a very decent business model.

Made over 40m in the summer when they sold Konsa, Maupay and Mepham. 

Benrahma was signed 2 years ago for 2.7m, will probably be sold for at least 20m.
  • Options
    The problem for Bowyer is he will know things we don't. So Williams and Doughty probably were dead on their feat. Where we see negative subs, he will have seen necessary ones. But being a great manager doesn't mean he wont make mistakes. Especially in the high pressure situation he is in now. Whether the mistakes are the ones some of us identify is another matter. I am happy we have him in charge for our final games. He identified the issue with yesterday as us running out of steam and it certainly looked like that.
    Williams i get maybe not match fit enough as he hasn't been playing. But Doughty is 20 years old, only played the last 15 against Millwall and then taken off after 70 minutes last night. If he's dead on his feet after playing 85 minutes in 4 days then it's a serious problem.
    Do you even watch the games? See how much running he does. For much of the match Alfie was our most advanced player and our most defensive player. The system we play demands a huge amount from our fullbacks/wingbacks as it is but the way we use Doughty as an outlet (often the only one) makes this even more so. Age doesn't come into it. There is no athlete on earth that could do that role in the way he did against brentford without a drop off in levels by the end.
  • Options
    Think of Doughty a bit like Usain Bolt... Both can get up really impressive levels of speed but the trouble is it cant be sustained and like with any running, there has to be a period of recovery

Ask Bolt to run 100m straight after he's finished one race and he's not going to do it at the same speed that he's just achieved

Its why it baffles me why people wonder why Doughty hasnt gone on another lung bursting run down the wing moments after he's done it too
  • Options
    Think of Doughty a bit like Usain Bolt... Both can get up really impressive levels of speed but the trouble is it cant be sustained and like with any running, there has to be a period of recovery

Ask Bolt to run 100m straight after he's finished one race and he's not going to do it at the same speed that he's just achieved

Its why it baffles me why people wonder why Doughty hasnt gone on another lung bursting run down the wing moments after he's done it too
    I’m not saying I agree with Chris, but you do get players than seem to be able to do it. Tariq Lamptey for Brighton seems to put the burners on every time he goes forward. Bale did it for Spurs every week. The problem Charlton and Doughty have, is that he will go on a lung busting run, then when he gets back into position it would be nice if we kept the ball for more than 5 seconds so he can recover.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Guys, even when you are playing for the dog and Duck 2nd team, how knackering  is it if the opposition has the ball most of the time and you are constantly trying to get the ball back and last night's curry is still strong in the mouth.  
    The way Brentford play is fluid with ease of pass which meant the combination of chasing the ball for Cafc for 98 minutes and especially in the last 30 when so many gaps opened up and we lost our shape after the early subs in the 60th minute. (Field and Williams, our best players at the time) they may of needed to come off but we were a weaker team after they departed.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Guys, even when you are playing for the dog and Duck 2nd team, how knackering  is it if the opposition has the ball most of the time and you are constantly trying to get the ball back and last night's curry is still strong in the mouth.  
    Probably the most accurate description of my Sunday league days. Fortunately it was only like this in the season we chose to disband at the end of. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Probably the most accurate description of my Sunday league days. Fortunately it was only like this in the season we chose to disband at the end of. 
    I didn't get too knackered playing Sunday league. This was mainly down to the fact that there was really only so much running you could do, when you couldn't actually get out of your own penalty area. Running out of the penalty box, would've only served to get you away from the action....
  • Options

This is exactly right and a large part of why Brentford have been so successful - it’s a positive feedback loop. 

You make a profit on players, you can buy better talent, you make even more profit selling them which allows the purchase of even better talent and so on: Egan, Mepham, Konsa, Maupay and most likely Benrahma this summer...

IMO they are the current “model” club if you’re looking to rise up the EFL pyramid.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Reasons for our position

1. Roland Duchatelet. 

List complete. 
    Don’t agree with this in the slightest. If ESI hadn’t purchased us in January I reckon we’d be safe by now. 
  • Options

This is exactly right and a large part of why Brentford have been so successful - it’s a positive feedback loop. 

You make a profit on players, you can buy better talent, you make even more profit selling them which allows the purchase of even better talent and so on: Egan, Mepham, Konsa, Maupay and most likely Benrahma this summer...

IMO they are the current “model” club if you’re looking to rise up the EFL pyramid.
    Scrapped their academy, and put their resources into scouting young pros, with a lot of "moneyball" analysis. It's a very different model to ours
  • Options
    So who isn't Championship-class who I've said is?
  • Options
    Leuth - championship class