Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Washington Redskins to change their name

Comments

• Options
    cafckev said:
    And here lies the problem.

everyone claiming it’s a good idea, and it’s about time etc. BUT does everyone actually know why they chose Redskins?

It was chosen to honour the Native Americans who believed (and still do) that the colour Red was a colour that represented power and strength. To believed it how the power to protect them that they in fact used the colour to paint their faces when going into battle (war paint as we know it).

So, far from being racist or anti something or other, it is in fact there honouring a minority group. The various organisation in the US who now represent Native Americans who said they see no problem with the name or logo and see it more as a honour of the memory.

So rather than making their oppression, it reminds them of their history, power, beliefs and security!

But, others seem to have forgotten the meaning of it, and are feeling offended on their behalf and objected.....and won

I thought they changed their name to the Redskins (from Indians or chiefs whatever it was before) when their franchise briefly moved to play at Fenway Park and were trying to engrataite themselves with Boston Red Sox fans and by including red in their name would mean the baseball team's fans would identify with them being their team.  I'm guessing it didn't work because they moved to Washington shortly after.  

Apologies if this is wrong here but that was the reason i was given.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    shine166 said:
    Weird how people think people are offended by others being offended, when they're clearly not ;)

Another of those funny tactics deployed to rubbish any angle other than the one pushed by, mainly, white folk attempting to speak on behalf of a minority.
    For someone that don't give a fuck, you certainly jumped back on the thread quick enough to pretend you dont care. I bet you're an all lives matter kinda guy 
    Who doesn't give a fuck? Who said anything along those lines? Who said anything about caring either way? Don't worry, rad man, you frame it all your own way so it computes in your head properly.

Ah, you've slung the all lives matter brush at me as well. Stay classy. Bellend :D
    Have a nice day x
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    shine166 said:
    Weird how people think people are offended by others being offended, when they're clearly not ;)

Another of those funny tactics deployed to rubbish any angle other than the one pushed by, mainly, white folk attempting to speak on behalf of a minority.
    For someone that don't give a fuck, you certainly jumped back on the thread quick enough to pretend you dont care. I bet you're an all lives matter kinda guy 
    Who doesn't give a fuck? Who said anything along those lines? Who said anything about caring either way? Don't worry, rad man, you frame it all your own way so it computes in your head properly.

Ah, you've slung the all lives matter brush at me as well. Stay classy. Bellend :D
    Have a nice day x
    Yep, back in your box. x
  • Options
    Should change it to Foreskins, that'd be about appropriate for that franchise.

Didn't the Indians drop the highly offensive smiley faced Indian caricature (equivalent to a golliwog) from their logo and merchandise a couple of years ago now? 
    Anti-Semitic,  think again please.
  • Options
    Macronate said:

Atlanta Falcons - many mice must have suffered at the claws of this bird of prey

Arizona Cardinals - too Roman Catholic, what about all the other religions?

Baltimore Ravens - known for shitting on the Tower of London, not good

Buffalo Bills - what about all the 'Toms', 'Bobs' and 'Daves' out there?

Carolina Panthers - scary big cat, too scary

Chicago Bears - scary animals, too scary

Cincinnati Bengals - offensive to lions

Cleveland Browns - what about all the other colours?

Dallas Cowboys - you can't just reference 'boys'. Where's the equality?

Denver Broncos - wild horses are no longer allowed. Only tame horses please.

Detroit Lions - offensive to tigers

Green Bay Packers - an important part of the warehousing process but what about all the other functions?

Houston Texans - too statist

Indianapolis Colts - a young, uncastrated male horse!!! Disgusting.

Jacksonville Jaguars - another scary big cat

Kansas City Chiefs - denotes a leader or ruler of people, hierarchy isn't good

Las Vegas Raiders - a person who attacks an enemy in their territory; a marauder. Just no

LA Rams - too male orientated. Try LA Ewes.

Miami Dolphins - countless schools of fish not happy

Minnesota Vikings - no, Vikings were bad

New England Patriots - can't be having any patriotic names

New Orleans Saints - connected to Christianity and doesn't acknowledge other religions or evil people.

New York Giants - offensive to small people

New York Jets - offensive to helicopters

Philadelphia Eagles - another bird of prey which upsets smaller mammals/animals

Pittsburgh Steelers - named after Pittsburgh's steel industry. Difficult to know what to get offended about but i'll think of something

San Francisco 49ers - name comes from the prospectors who arrived in Northern California in the 1849 gold rush. Lucky they didn't arrive in 1869.

Seattle Seahawks - another name for an osprey, a large fish-eating raptor in the hawk family, too scary

Tampa Bay Buccaneers - too piratey

Tennessee Titans - another physically large reference, offensive to littluns

Washington Redskins - no

Crystal Palace - insulting to the Queen as people might confuse the Selhurst lot with Buckingham Palace
  • Options
    Brilliant @Macronate
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chizz said:
    PeterGage said:
    The original peoples that settled in Washington State were the Suquamish Tribe, the most famous of their chiefs being Chief Seattle. I guess the NFL team could recognise the history of the area and honour the local tribe by incorporating  some relationship to those facts in their name.

The few Native Americans that I have spoken to over the years consider the term Redskins" as being highly derogatory as is the term "squaw" for women Native Americans.

Whether that means that the reference to redskins should be changed because it offends some, is a matter of personal opinion. I personally am pleased.
    Different Washington
    Different world.
  • Options
    Would it be ok for Exeter Chiefs to scrap the native american on the badge and replace it with an image of an executive? 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    It really won’t be long until there’s a push for us to have an emblem that hasn’t got a sword in. 

I wouldn’t say the world has gone mad, but my god are we narrowing down the parameters of acceptability at an alarming rate. 
    There really won't be, but again I don't get why people are willing to die on a hill to protect names like Redskins and Chiefs. 

As for Exeter Rugby, the movement in the last 90's for club nicknames in Rugby (both codes) was shit and if this ends them, then good
    Not dying on a hill in any way but these are sporting clubs named identities, for many it has been for many decades. The names are not being used in a derogatory way in an attempt to belittle or denigrate anyone. Probably the opposite in fact. 
    Exeter rebranded in 1999, so it's hardly years of history being trashed. And as for our badge, it was a 60s rebrand, if it went back to the traditional 40's crest and robin, then it'll just be history repeating. 

As for US franchises, those institutions can be lifted and moved from a city they've been in for years, like the Redskins were moved from Boston, and were known as the Braves. Names and cities change for commercial as well as societal reasons, the Washington name change is both commercial and societal 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    It really won’t be long until there’s a push for us to have an emblem that hasn’t got a sword in. 

I wouldn’t say the world has gone mad, but my god are we narrowing down the parameters of acceptability at an alarming rate. 
    There really won't be, but again I don't get why people are willing to die on a hill to protect names like Redskins and Chiefs. 

As for Exeter Rugby, the movement in the last 90's for club nicknames in Rugby (both codes) was shit and if this ends them, then good
    Not dying on a hill in any way but these are sporting clubs named identities, for many it has been for many decades. The names are not being used in a derogatory way in an attempt to belittle or denigrate anyone. Probably the opposite in fact. 

To be honest, I don't think it really applies to the NFL when teams have moved city and discarded their past without a thought.  NFL Owners only really care about where the money is.  Any fan in any city will do as long as they spend money.  The Cleveland Browns turned into the Baltimore Ravens, the Houston Oilers turned into the Tennessee Titans, once upon a time the Kansas City Chiefs were the Dallas Texans - they swapped sides from Cowboys to Indians!
  • Options
    Missed It said:
    Rothko said:

To be honest, I don't think it really applies to the NFL when teams have moved city and discarded their past without a thought.  NFL Owners only really care about where the money is.  Any fan in any city will do as long as they spend money.  The Cleveland Browns turned into the Baltimore Ravens, the Houston Oilers turned into the Tennessee Titans, once upon a time the Kansas City Chiefs were the Dallas Texans - they swapped sides from Cowboys to Indians!
    Green Bay Packers are the exception to that rule, a remarkable organisation.
  • Options
    All a bit busy ain’t it? Ultimately, does it really matter. If people are that bothered about it, change it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:
    Missed It said:
    Rothko said:

Green Bay Packers are the exception to that rule, a remarkable organisation.
    Very loyal fans. Not much else to do in Green Bay during the football season.
  • Options
    Rothko said:

As an Essex Eagles fan, I wholeheartedly agree
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Got me thinking - which English League football club has the most #problematic name? WBA, BHA and Burton all have Albion in the name, which means 'white nation' - but it was originally a description of the cliffs, not the people, so they can be #uncancelled forthwith. 

Then there's Leyton Orient. A whiff of appropriation! But in fact, named for the fact that one of their early players worked for the Orient Steam Line, and it was deemed an appropriate name for an East London club. They also get a pass.

Then we have the teams named for places they are not. We all know and lament the formation of MK Dons, but what of Grimsby (actually in Cleethorpes)? Both irksome, but perhaps not cancellable.

However, there's only one club in the entire Football League named after an unrepentantly colonialist, Anglo-supremacist Victorian exhibition. I think we all know who they are.
    Crewe Alexandra as well being named after the daughter-in-law of Vicky

Should Tottenham Hotspur be named after something thats used in cruelty to horses?

Disappointed in you Leuth
  • Options
    I scrolled through the entire Wiki page of Princess (later Queen) Alexandra while writing that, couldn't find anything too bad! I mean, aside from being part of the parasitic Royal Family etc etc blah
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Pretty sure Spurs are named after the natural spurs on the heel of a cockerel though. EDIT: but is this a celebration of brutal bloodsport cockfighting? Now I'm wondering whether @JohnBoyUK has something to answer to! ;)
  • Options
    All a bit busy ain’t it? Ultimately, does it really matter. If people are that bothered about it, change it.
    Quite. The surprising thing is reading a load of people on this forum claiming it isn't offensive to native Americans. I'm willing to bet a large amount of money that they aren't American let alone Native American.