Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bowyer the new Powell?

Comments

• Options
    Former players as managers don't last long at a club like Charlton.
    Curbs did ok 
    Years ago when football was different.
  • Options
    Here's something to consider ...

... we're not really very good.

We weren't very good at the start of the season, which is why we were everybody's favourite not just to be relegated but finish bottom.

We weren't very good in the middle of season when most of our key players were injured.

We certainly weren't very good when Chelsea called their boy home for tea and then sent him to Swansea without any supper.

And we definitely weren't much cop when our main striker and talisman decided to be a selfish tw@t and not play for us again.

Before the season started most people said they'd take a 21st-place finish. Guess what folks? We're currently 21st (albeit before Wigan have their 12-point deduction) and we still have our Division Two survival in our own hands with two matches to go. I'd have bitten your hands off last August for that scenario.

We can get (at least) a point against Wigan on Saturday which may well be enough to keep us up.

Yes, it's frustrating to concede in injury time (yet again). Yes, it's frustrating that we haven't taken our chances during the match (yet again). Yes, it's frustrating that the ref appears to bat for the oppo (yet again).

But let's face it: those three things are integral parts of Charlton!
    Yeah, that's kind of my thing too. I think Bowyer gets it wrong tactically at times. But we're also just not very good, and there's no getting around that. 
  • Options
    First time I've really been pissed off with him.

I've always thought his post match comments were predictable ("Those players in there give me everyfink") 
    He has now bought this predictability to his mid match team selection.
  • Options
    I don't know what people expect. It's not like Bowyer instructed them to sit back and soak up pressure for 15 minutes. 

"And Nabby. You're one of our luckiest players mate. Nothing ever wildly deflects off you my man. Amirite? Make sure you get down in front of Dillon, nice and tight on the goal line when they start whizzing wild balls through. Good lad."
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Sit back??? We hit the post and had a goal saved on the line. 
    Wasn't that before the changes? 
    Yes
    Which proves the point. We were still creating chances until the subs. 
    I’m agreeing with you. I do understand the making subs when players are tired but Bowyer seems to be in a cycle of making them cos he can. This ‘back to the walls’ has been the downfall before and it’s happened again. It’s so difficult for players to come on and pick up the pace and their defensive duties straight away. Especially making multiple subs. Also disrupts the organisation of players already out there. I just don’t agree with it.
    Yes sorry was just making the general point that the fact we were creating chances and then the subs changed that. 

Overall I’m not calling for Bowyer to be sacked. The loyalty the man has shown is unbelievable. He’s a decent manager but he doesn’t seem to have learnt from past mistakes and it could cost us. 
  • Options
    Same old Charlton. Always sit back. No need for the changes. 
    Now you messed up again game was one 
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

We weren't very good at the start of the season, which is why we were everybody's favourite not just to be relegated but finish bottom.

We weren't very good in the middle of season when most of our key players were injured.

We certainly weren't very good when Chelsea called their boy home for tea and then sent him to Swansea without any supper.

And we definitely weren't much cop when our main striker and talisman decided to be a selfish tw@t and not play for us again.

Before the season started most people said they'd take a 21st-place finish. Guess what folks? We're currently 21st (albeit before Wigan have their 12-point deduction) and we still have our Division Two survival in our own hands with two matches to go. I'd have bitten your hands off last August for that scenario.

We can get (at least) a point against Wigan on Saturday which may well be enough to keep us up.

Yes, it's frustrating to concede in injury time (yet again). Yes, it's frustrating that we haven't taken our chances during the match (yet again). Yes, it's frustrating that the ref appears to bat for the oppo (yet again).

Yeah, that's kind of my thing too. I think Bowyer gets it wrong tactically at times. But we're also just not very good, and there's no getting around that. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Play a full season with the current squad and we would go down under any manager. Bowyer is ensuring we’re still competing.

Taylor, Leko and Gallagher were three of our top four goalscorers.

There’s no combination of subs or formation that guarantees that group of players sees out a win. The quality just isn’t there.

He’s worked under three sets of owners (not that the current ones actually own the club yet).

Huge injury crisis resulting in us recalling youngsters from non-league.

If Bowyer’s not good enough then that suggests another manager could achieve a lot more with this squad. Where should this squad be in the league?

If we go down you’re not going to see many of this squad playing regular Championship football next season.

Bowyer makes mistakes but he’s still doing a far better job than most would. What decent manager could we attract with everything that has gone on at the club in the last few years?
    i agree with a lot of this but for me, if you add taylor to the starting 11, that team is good enough to stay in the championship - when a game opens up, if you are going to sit back and defend it out, you must have some outlets, people who can carry the ball and run into the space - how in anybody's world, was taking doughty off for morgan, a good move?
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Scoham said:
    Play a full season with the current squad and we would go down under any manager. Bowyer is ensuring we’re still competing.

There’s no combination of subs or formation that guarantees that group of players sees out a win. The quality just isn’t there.

He’s worked under three sets of owners (not that the current ones actually own the club yet).

If Bowyer’s not good enough then that suggests another manager could achieve a lot more with this squad. Where should this squad be in the league?

If we go down you’re not going to see many of this squad playing regular Championship football next season.

Bowyer makes mistakes but he’s still doing a far better job than most would. What decent manager could we attract with everything that has gone on at the club in the last few years?
    i agree with a lot of this but for me, if you add taylor to the starting 11, that team is good enough to stay in the championship - when a game opens up, if you are going to sit back and defend it out, you must have some outlets, people who can carry the ball and run into the space - how in anybody's world, was taking doughty off for morgan, a good move?
    Morgan played some great balls when he came on but I do agree with you. No pace to hit them and relieve pressure
  • Options
    Thought Naby was coming on up front..
  • Options
    edited July 2020

Can't really say it any better than that, so won't try too hard.

I couldn't back Bowyer more given the players available to him - on paper we're frankly a dire squad at this level but still more-or-less manage to compete with everyone in the division.

If any team with Bonne, Aneke and Hemed up front, a bunch of kids, Pratley and a smattering 'decent' League 1 players can stay up... or even get close to staying up... he's doing something right.

*Edit: Cullen is obviously quality, but even he's not 'established' at this level - although he's clearly good enough.
  • Options

I couldn't back Bowyer more given the players available to him - on paper we're frankly a dire squad at this level but still more-or-less manage to compete with everyone in the division.

If any team with Bonne, Aneke and Hemed up front, a bunch of kids, Pratley and a smattering 'decent' League 1 players can stay up... or even get close to staying up... he's doing something right.
    I think that's nonsense. Our players and squad are far better than that. Especially right now, when we have plenty of options in every position except striker
  • Options
    Whats most frustrating for me with Bowyer is the fact that he has shown with us he's a pretty inventive manager when it comes to line ups, formations etc yet we are doing this trash.

I definitely think there is a good manager in there he just seems to be having a confidence issue in the squad but think with a new season we can improve again.

Mainly dislike what he has done with Albie but that's not anywhere close enough to lose my support regardless of whether we stay up or not.

• Options
    Former players as managers don't last long at a club like Charlton.
    Curbs did ok 
    Years ago when football was different.
    "Different" in what way? More exciting you mean? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2020
    DOUCHER said:
    Scoham said:

Morgan played some great balls when he came on but I do agree with you. No pace to hit them and relieve pressure
    i'm not knocking morgan and yes he played a very good ball but its the pace / running with the ball that was needed - we have both williams and doughty , then we have none - time and again its illogical 
  • Options
    Morgan is faster on the ball than Williams, Williams however is better at dribbling.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

I think that's nonsense. Our players and squad are far better than that. Especially right now, when we have plenty of options in every position except striker
    I don't know how you can say that our squad is better than that - even before losing Taylor, Davis, Solly in every position we were the same or weaker than the side that made the L1 playoffs... if that's your benchmark for a 'good' Championship squad, or is that too high?

Bauer, Aribo, Bielik all walk into this side (Karlan doesn't really count but obviously would too). It's not crying over spilled milk, but just a comparison of where we are compared to last year when we were in a lower division and sneaked up via pens and a last second winner in the playoffs.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Scoham said:

i'm not knocking morgan and yes he played a very good ball but its the pace / running with the ball that was needed - we have both williams and doughty , then we have none - time and again its illogical 
    Exactly - we need more than two players who offer that. That's not Bowyer's fault.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

I don't know how you can say that our squad is better than that - even before losing Taylor, Davis, Solly in every position we were the same or weaker than the side that made the L1 playoffs... if that's your benchmark for a 'good' Championship squad, or is that too high?

Bauer, Aribo, Bielik all walk into this side (Karlan doesn't really count but obviously would too). It's not crying over spilled milk, but just a comparison of where we are compared to last year when we were in a lower division and sneaked up via pens and a last second winner in the playoffs.
    Bauer is about the same as Lockyer

Aribo, sure, is probably an improvement over many of our midfielders this time. Gallagher was an equivalent replacement but since he's gone, McGeady has not quite cut it

Bielik is probably not so much better than Field. Having him would have at least meant less Pratley
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Having plenty of options doesn't mean they're good enough.

Technically we have 4 striking options for 2 positions but Hemed has 0 goals all season, Bonne came from non-league, Aneke from league two and Davison is a kid.

They all try hard, but you can't honestly say that's a championship level strike force?
  • Options
    Bow is a good lad, has been great for us, worked miracles on a shitty budget, and I cant think of anyone I'd rather be running the team.....but...my god, he fucking loves trying to "protect" a lead. Problem is, we are fucking useless at it! As soon as I saw naby was coming on I sensed what was coming. Too many excuses banded around for me. We're not good enough to shut up shop with 10mins to go, so this should never be the gameplan! It's so bloody obvious! Anyway, win on saturday and we might just be safe. COYA

• Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Scoham said:

I think Doughty had a knock. There was no one with pace for the out ball on the bench. However, I thought Aneke did well and more than enough to start ahead of the waste of space Hemed.

If Luton and Hull draw and we win on Saturday job done - keep the faith.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Having plenty of options doesn't mean they're good enough.

Technically we have 4 striking options for 2 positions but Hemed has 0 goals all season, Bonne came from non-league, Aneke from league two and Davison is a kid.

They all try hard, but you can't honestly say that's a championship level strike force?
    Bonne and Aneke were tier 5 & 4 last season. First Bow had the lowest budget in the division, then even less from the fraudsters. Add to that the Gallagher recall and Taylor sloping off.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:

Bauer is about the same as Lockyer

Aribo, sure, is probably an improvement over many of our midfielders this time. Gallagher was an equivalent replacement but since he's gone, McGeady has not quite cut it

Bielik is probably not so much better than Field. Having him would have at least meant less Pratley
    Gallagher was absolutely quality but we lost him 6 months ago and the side that's struggled/where Bowyer has been criticised isn't the one before Christmas with him in it.

Even if we agreed that the defence is roughly the same, the starting attacking players we have now vs League 1 is a big gulf in quality... McGeady, Morgan, Bonne, Hemed/Aneke vs Taylor, Karlan, Aribo.

Anyway, it's all about opinions and I respect yours. Mine is that I'd defy any manager to get a lot of goals out of our forwards, which is why I think we're so regularly in the position of losing small leads or giving away narrow 1-0 losses - not because of any Bowyer ineptitude.