Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Wigan | Sat 18 July, 2020 | Post-match thread

Comments

• Options
    Gillis said:
    I’m not having this Bonne hero worship stuff. He was rank awful for 95% of the game. Granted he kept trying but he scored with a shot that wasn’t much harder than a back pass. Fair play to the lad and I’m glad he did but that doesn’t make him Jamie fucking Vardy. If Bowyer thinks he was brilliant today then I know even less about football than I think I do. I clearly need to take a holiday from here for a bit. 
    It certainly doesn't: Vardy only scored 4 goals in his debut season in the Championship after moving from non-league. ;)

Well said Gillis,
    One of Vardy's first games for Leicester was at the valley and we beat them from memory 2-1 with Yann scoring twice.
    Vardy missed 3 chances yet I thought he was a good prospect as he was so fast.
    Jamie would have been 24 years old.

Personally think Bowyer slagged him off too much before and praised him OTT today But he took that added time goal with aplomb and at 200k looks a fucking bargain to me. Losing Taylor as his mentor for most of this season has cost us big time as I feel Macaulay would be on 20 goals, playing alongside Taylor for a whole season. 20 goals scored and 20 missed probably.
    That how it works with decent strikers.

It was a Naki Wells miss at QPR after the shocking pass back set him up with even more time that Bonne had today which always look shocking. 

I have spent  time on here and at games defending him. I said after a league cup game I thought both him and Field would do well for us if they got Minutes.

Sam Field like Williams finds it hard to play more than 45 minutes, which is a shame as he is needed with Pratley out.

I think Bowyer on reflection probably regrets previously slagging him off in public, hence the slightly exaggerated praise today
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    MattF said:
    Some Wigan reaction if anyone is interested 
    https://forums.vitalfootball.co.uk/threads/charlton.106509/page-3

Reading a few posts on that Wigan forum while having a cuppa:

"If we do end up going down it’ll be because of our performance today and at Barnsley, we seemed to stop going forward and dropped too deep."

Now where have we heard this before? :smile:

Yes, I was disappointed with Wigan today. They went very defensive in the second half, considering they had an extra day's rest to us
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    MattF said:

"If we do end up going down it’ll be because of our performance today and at Barnsley, we seemed to stop going forward and dropped too deep."

and
    "Fitting really, that the goal which effectively relegates us is in the 93rd minute. How many fucking points this season have we pissed away in stoppage time?"
    can't believe we're not Champs in last minute debacles though  :'(
    Yeah I did some research a few weeks ago

They've conceded just as many as us in the 90th minute 
  • Options
    Anyone reckon this relegation battle might go to the wire? :smile:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Anyone reckon this relegation battle might go to the wire? :smile:

Nah... We're safe :) 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2020
    The lads fought like tigers today, every one of them, their efforts certainly made up for lack of skill.Doughty will be a really good player although I'd like to see him playing further up.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    MattF said:

and
    "Fitting really, that the goal which effectively relegates us is in the 93rd minute. How many fucking points this season have we pissed away in stoppage time?"
    can't believe we're not Champs in last minute debacles though  :'(
    Yeah I did some research a few weeks ago

They've conceded just as many as us in the 90th minute 
    They had a terrible run of doing that at the start of the season, then sorted it out (until today), whereas we've spread the heartache evenly across the season!
  • Options
    I think that's us done to be honest. Obviously hope I'm wrong. 
  • Options
    although our strikers are not great, we really do not create loads of chances and we don’t really have an attacking midfielder who’s not a wide player.

just need to be more positive going forward and play an advanced midfield player, box to box Gallagher style.
  • Options
    If Field and JFC are unavailable for Leeds, it'll be interesting who Bowyer plays there
  • Options
    The lads fought like tigers today, every one of them, their efforts certainly made up for lack of skill.
    Hull City fought like Tigers today - but they still lost.  

• Options
    If Field and JFC are unavailable for Leeds, it'll be interesting who Bowyer plays there
    You'd hope Cullen and Pearce are okay too after getting knocks

May well have been another stroke of genius to rest McGeady and Williams today
  • Options
    Morgan and McGeady, I would think. Williams to come on later.

No Pratts either.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    MattF said:
    Surprised that there is no mention of a possible 12 point deduction for Sheff Wed.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Have to win on Wednesday. No guarantee Blackburn and Cardiff win or that the EFL doesn't reduce Wigan's points deduction.
    They wont reduce their points deductions. It's in their rules - Enter administration & you get docked 12 points.

The only reason Wigan dont get a 12xpoint deduction is if the EFL do a complete U turn, go back on not only what their rules say, and the statement they put out at the start of July AND then also going back on what they said about an appeal not working. 

The EFL may be stupid but they aren't that stupid. If for some reason they do change their minds there will be a massive court case from whomever goes down in their place. 

The only reason the table doesn't show Wigan on 46 points is because the deduction only comes into effect after 46 games have been played.

Expect at 10pm on Wednesday they will have had 12 (TWELVE) Points deducted.
  • Options
    although our strikers are not great, we really do not create loads of chances and we don’t really have an attacking midfielder who’s not a wide player.

just need to be more positive going forward and play an advanced midfield player, box to box Gallagher style.
    Williams and Morgan.
  • Options
    You'd hope Cullen and Pearce are okay too after getting knocks

May well have been another stroke of genius to rest McGeady and Williams today
    McGeady and Williams played most of the Brum game a few days ago ...... so no surprise they were rested today, under Bowyer's rotation system.

Hey, with all the recent crop of injuries and 2-games a week fatigue, we might still see Lewis Page yet - could be the last man standing.

• Options
    On a plus point, we can’t now finish bottom of the league. 
  • Options
    Certainly seems like playing our own crowd noise through the speakers was an advantage 
  • Options
    We deserved to win this    . Fair play to Bonne, always works hard , great finish . Wednesday is going to be tough  , but there is a chance with the spirit in this team .
    Hopefully there will be a few spirits in the Leeds team