Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Wigan | Sat 18 July, 2020 | Post-match thread

Comments

• Options
    stonemuse said:
    Gillis said:
    I’m not having this Bonne hero worship stuff. He was rank awful for 95% of the game. Granted he kept trying but he scored with a shot that wasn’t much harder than a back pass. Fair play to the lad and I’m glad he did but that doesn’t make him Jamie fucking Vardy. If Bowyer thinks he was brilliant today then I know even less about football than I think I do. I clearly need to take a holiday from here for a bit. 
    It certainly doesn't: Vardy only scored 4 goals in his debut season in the Championship after moving from non-league. ;)

Well said Gillis,
    One of Vardy's first games for Leicester was at the valley and we beat them from memory 2-1 with Yann scoring twice.
    Vardy missed 3 chances yet I thought he was a good prospect as he was so fast.
    Jamie would have been 24 years old.

Personally think Bowyer slagged him off too much before and praised him OTT today But he took that added time goal with aplomb and at 200k looks a fucking bargain to me. Losing Taylor as his mentor for most of this season has cost us big time as I feel Macaulay would be on 20 goals, playing alongside Taylor for a whole season. 20 goals scored and 20 missed probably.
    That how it works with decent strikers.

It was a Naki Wells miss at QPR after the shocking pass back set him up with even more time that Bonne had today which always look shocking. 

I have spent  time on here and at games defending him. I said after a league cup game I thought both him and Field would do well for us if they got Minutes.

Sam Field like Williams finds it hard to play more than 45 minutes, which is a shame as he is needed with Pratley out.

I think Bowyer on reflection probably regrets previously slagging him off in public, hence the slightly exaggerated praise today
    I don’t think he regrets it ... and Bonne’s interview today seems to indicate it was justified and it prompted him to react accordingly ... exactly what Lee was trying to achieve ... he knows his players. 
    One of things a good manager needs to have up his sleeve is the ability to judge his players' characters and know which ones need a metaphorical boot up the arse and which ones need the arm around the shoulder.

I guess that Lord Bowyer has established that Macca and Albie benefit from a rocket at the appropriate time.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Have to win on Wednesday. No guarantee Blackburn and Cardiff win or that the EFL doesn't reduce Wigan's points deduction.
    They wont reduce their points deductions. It's in their rules - Enter administration & you get docked 12 points.

The only reason Wigan dont get a 12xpoint deduction is if the EFL do a complete U turn, go back on not only what their rules say, and the statement they put out at the start of July AND then also going back on what they said about an appeal not working. 

The EFL may be stupid but they aren't that stupid. If for some reason they do change their minds there will be a massive court case from whomever goes down in their place. 

The only reason the table doesn't show Wigan on 46 points is because the deduction only comes into effect after 46 games have been played.

Expect at 10pm on Wednesday they will have had 12 (TWELVE) Points deducted.

Spot on Golfie - it will be confirmed as soon as the final whistles blow on Wednesday.

The 12 point deduction for administration is set in stone. It is one of the few clear rules of the EFL, who by the way are a member organisation , and it's the members who set the rules - that includes Wigan!

If the EFL deduct the 12 points, Wigan have no legal recourse to seek to overturn it. If they didn't deduct the 12 points then the team that went down in their stead would have a prima facie case to challenge it - and win.
    And we know that ESI are good at winning cases in court  :D
  • Options
    I am not hopeful. The only club that matters watching other than ourselves is Luton. And they are at home against a club that has nothing to play for. Neither does Leeds, but they are the best team in the division and their backups are better than our starters, most likely. I think Luton wins 2-1 and we lose 0-2. 

Can’t say we deserve to stay up given how bonkers our club is. We will be selling on most of our decent  players and I can’t see why anyone would wants to stay for a relegated club with ownership issues and a transfer embargo. I suspect Bowyer will leave as well, as enough clubs in the Championship will recognize he did a good job under dire circumstances. Losing Bowyer would depress me as much as relegation, btw. I think Gallen will have suitors too.

I am going to try to be philosophical about it all and just hope we don’t go into administration out of the blue for some reason. If we stay up somehow it won’t be because we deserved to. 
    What a load of tripe!! - If we stay up then of course it'll be because we deserve to - What Bowyer and the players have done on the pitch should no way be overshadowed by matters off it

If anything we deserve to stay up more than others because of the fact that Bowyer has had an arm tied behind his back, just imagine what we could have achieved with proper owners this season
    I hope you are right.
  • Options
    I am not hopeful. The only club that matters watching other than ourselves is Luton. And they are at home against a club that has nothing to play for. Neither does Leeds, but they are the best team in the division and their backups are better than our starters, most likely. I think Luton wins 2-1 and we lose 0-2. 

Can’t say we deserve to stay up given how bonkers our club is. We will be selling on most of our decent  players and I can’t see why anyone would wants to stay for a relegated club with ownership issues and a transfer embargo. I suspect Bowyer will leave as well, as enough clubs in the Championship will recognize he did a good job under dire circumstances. Losing Bowyer would depress me as much as relegation, btw. I think Gallen will have suitors too.

I am going to try to be philosophical about it all and just hope we don’t go into administration out of the blue for some reason. If we stay up somehow it won’t be because we deserved to. 
    What a load of tripe!! - If we stay up then of course it'll be because we deserve to - What Bowyer and the players have done on the pitch should no way be overshadowed by matters off it

If anything we deserve to stay up more than others because of the fact that Bowyer has had an arm tied behind his back, just imagine what we could have achieved with proper owners this season
    I hope you are right.
    Of course I'm right over that, if we go down then yes we deserve to go down because we're one of the three worst teams

Thats the simplicity of how it works here
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2020

Wigan are below us too
    Are we really SURE about that? Have they officially been deducted 12? Given ManC and everyone else seems to win appeals, I am not convinced. I would not count on that happening.

Also as long as its on appeal, who will want to play for us, not knowing if we will be in The Championship or League One. We could be in a limbo situation that no one will want to take a chance on. 
  • Options

Wigan are below us too
    Are we really SURE about that? Have they officially been deducted 12? Given ManC and everyone else seems to win appeals, I am not convinced. I would not count on that happening.
    You go into Administration here then you get twelve points deduction, no ifs or buts

Even the Wigan Manager was pretty confident that they'll need 49-pts to stay up now
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    The deduction Wigan received was announced that it would always be applied at the end of the season. This is because if they finished in the relegation zone irrespective of the deduction, they would have received it next season. It will now be applied after the last ball is kicked, although they did appeal and we haven't received the outcome of that yet. If they won an appeal it would really put a cat amongst the pigeons in realation to adminsitration as this is one of the few matter of fact standard punishments the league applies.
  • Options
    The deduction Wigan received was announced that it would always be applied at the end of the season. This is because if they finished in the relegation zone irrespective of the deduction, they would have received it next season. It will now be applied after the last ball is kicked, although they did appeal and we haven't received the outcome of that yet. If they won an appeal it would really put a cat amongst the pigeons in realation to adminsitration as this is one of the few matter of fact standard punishments the league applies.
    If they win their appeal then the EFL's authority takes a tumble off a cliff, assume they've appealed more in hope than judgement because I can't see "you shouldn't have approved them in the first place" cutting the mustard.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

I hope you are right.
    Of course I'm right over that, if we go down then yes we deserve to go down because we're one of the three worst teams

Thats the simplicity of how it works here
    Yes, of course if we go down we deserve to, with by the far the smallest budget in the League, the January transfer embargo and the worst 4-month double figure injury crises in our entire history. And we best not mention being shafted over Gallagher and T*ylor.

Yes, we deserve to go down, don't we?
    Of course when you take those factors into account it is potentially harsh

End of the day though its how Football works here in England, everyone gets the opportunity to play everyone twice, if your in the bottom three come the end of it then unfortunately thats where you deserve to be

Same with the top two, dont buy it when people say: "X club dont deserve to be in the top two as they've been rubbish this season", well thats where they are
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What a roller coaster of a few weeks we've had. 

A huge night for us all on Wednesday, get the beers in ready and get to watch it however you can. It will be memorable one way or the other. 

This will live long in our grey cells and whatever the outcome, let's hope we will soon see the back of the scummy shite that have infested and controlled our club. 
  • Options
    Like this quote from Paul Cook about us:

"They've probably put more crosses into our box than any team we've played against for a long, long time, they kept asking the question".

Always nice to hear other managers praising us.
    Makes a bloody change, usually can't cross the road!
  • Options
    What was Paul Cook going mad about at the end? Nothing wrong with the goal so im guessing he was just annoyed at his players but he was having a right go at one of the officials for some reason. Sorry it its already been posted and ive missed it.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    1968CAFC said:
    1968CAFC said:
    Sadly Luton score in the 85th 
    our task has become ever more a nightmare 👎
    Our task hasnt changed

Equal the results of all three teams below us and we stay up, equal the results of two teams and we stay up

If we lose and Luton get a better result then we stay up

If we lose and Luton draw and Wigan win, then we go down
       How does that make sense ?
       If we lose at Leeds and Luton get a better result 
      We stay up....how will they, they would have more points?
      We are only better than them now on goal difference.........please explain what you mean ?

WIGAN!!
    Wigan !!
    wake up they could win the appeal 😂😂😂😂
  • Options
    1968CAFC said:
    bobmunro said:
    1968CAFC said:
    1968CAFC said:
    Our task hasnt changed

Equal the results of all three teams below us and we stay up, equal the results of two teams and we stay up

We are only better than them now on goal difference.........please explain what you mean ?

WIGAN!!
    Wigan !!
    If they win their appeal then you'll probably have a dozen clubs that will equally complain - Luton no doubt one of them for the shit that the EFL have dealt them over the years 
  • Options
    If we go down it is because we deserve to. Regardless of anything else we've thrown points away post-lockdown.
  • Options
    1968CAFC said:
    bobmunro said:
    1968CAFC said:
    1968CAFC said:
    Our task hasnt changed

WIGAN!!
    Wigan !!
    I’m wide awake, and I am also very familiar with EFL rules. This one is black and white.
    Appeals are only ever successful if there are one or more valid grounds - in this case, and in every case where administration occurs, there is none.