Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Eat Out to Help Out

End it now, I’ll be doing Johnny Vegas lookalike work by the end of August.

Who’s been eating where? My two highlights so far have been Giggling Squid in Chiselhurst and Miller & Carter in Bexley.

Two awesome meals 

Comments

• Think it’s a fantastic idea, places are rammed Monday to Wednesday - a great sight to see! 

Hopefully people try and then find new restaurants and return there when the deal finishes but all well and good if it keeps people in a job! 
  • edited August 2020
    Bellatoni in Eden Park was nice, very friendly people.

Yellow Deli in Homiton was cheap and decent but the staff were overly familiar and slightly odd - my wife thought they were lovely... - I googled when we left and found out they are all from one Cult.  Odd!

The Lambs inn in Axminster was dreadful -chicken tonight source and microwave meals all around.

Taste of India in Lyme Regis was excellent.

Going to be work out to help out in September I reckon!
  • Used it when holidaying in Devon last week for all 3 days. Fish  & Chip restaurant was rammed & had to wait almost an hour to get a table. 

Only issue I had was I reckon all 3 establishments had put up their prices at the start of August by around 10%-15%. Still good value though.
  • Been to The Nags Head in Welling where you can also get two 'classic menu' dishes for £12 before you get the extra 50% off. Pretty decent if you and someone else both want something on that menu.

Went to Beefeater in Woolwich it had a reduced menu but can't complain with a £10 surf and turf.

Also a shout out to Morrison's cafe who are doing the promotion every day of the week so a great option for 50% off Thurs to Sun.

Think it's a great idea and would like to see it at least extend into September.
  • Well worth dying for. 
    Give it a rest ffs
  • Harvester is booked about a week in advance.

Went to Beulah Spa last Tuesday and booked again next tuesday.

Had a couple of weatherspoons as well, burger and Chips and a drink with side salad for £4.99 not bad 
  • edited August 2020
    Just ignore mate

Keen to hear where people have been, what they’ve enjoyed etc
  • Shahin, Thames st, Sunbury - £10 off a head - right touch. Lovely place and grub.
  • Thornbury Castle pub in Marylebone, their Thai food is reasonable. Rebellion beer too
  • Sponsored links:

• Thornbury Castle pub in Marylebone, their Thai food is reasonable. Rebellion beer too
    Is the food still separate from the pub though - run by different people?

Many a time I was in there and the landlady insisted that a punter bought a drink and didn't just order the food.
  • Few pubs in Streatham and Brixton for me... and Tooting and Clapham. Treviso - little italian place in Richmond was also top draw. Probably couldn’t name you a single independant restaurant in Bexley, Woolwich, Eltham etc.
    Fantastic to see places buzzing Monday - Wednesday.
  • Morrison's for me, Erith or Welling. Ham, egg, chips and pot of tea, £2.25. Haven't had time for anywhere else yet, but intending to.
  • I was in Southampton on Monday and was amazed at the queues in every restaurant. Although it's school holidays, its clear that people are taking the opportunity to eat out.

Had to resist shouting "come on you Addicks" to the kid in the Charlton shirt queuing up for Five Guys with his family... 
  • Can I ask a question as someone who is very reluctant to use restaurants at the moment. Are all these restaurants and their clientele following social distancing and Covid secure guidelines? People talking of places being 'rammed' and 'buzzing' worries me that they are not safe places to visit.
  • I’ve taken advantage of all 3 days each week so far. We were down in Dorset last week And abused the offer for lunch and dinner. Great idea. 
  • Can I ask a question as someone who is very reluctant to use restaurants at the moment. Are all these restaurants and their clientele following social distancing and Covid secure guidelines? People talking of places being 'rammed' and 'buzzing' worries me that they are not safe places to visit.
    It's been table seating only when I've been, no loitering around at the bar or in general at the pub.

Not all tables have been used which helps everyone socially distance but the tables used have been pretty much filled either from walk ins or advance bookings.

Of course I'm referring to meal times Mon to Wed while Friday night could look completely different.
  • Off_it said:
    Thornbury Castle pub in Marylebone, their Thai food is reasonable. Rebellion beer too
    Is the food still separate from the pub though - run by different people?

Many a time I was in there and the landlady insisted that a punter bought a drink and didn't just order the food.
    The food and drink seemed integrated enough while we were there. I do recall a previous visit when you had to talk to a different person to order food, but that wasn't the case last week.

They've opened a hatch so that you can order from outside too!
    It's been table seating only when I've been, no loitering around at the bar or in general at the pub.

Not all tables have been used which helps everyone socially distance but the tables used have been pretty much filled either from walk ins or advance bookings.

Of course I'm referring to meal times Mon to Wed while Friday night could look completely different.
    I imagine Friday night will be busier in terms of drinking, but that many diners will be eating earlier in the week to use the scheme?
  • went to the plough in Eynsford on Monday - would not bother.
  • Sponsored links:

• We’re on holiday this week and spent Monday and Tuesday in Bath, followed by Wednesday in Bourton-on-the-Water in the Cotswolds.

Literally every restaurant is rammed for every tablespot and you need to book in advance.

It is quite incredible when you have a 3 course meal for 2 people, drinks etc and the bill comes out and it’s only about £30-40
  • Some restaurants are taking the precautions seriously but sadly I've seen a number that aren't. 
  • went to the plough in Eynsford on Monday - would not bother.
    Shame, was great when I went there, I think that was 20 years ago though en route to Eagle Heights. 

I remember begging my dad to drive the Audi 80 through the Ford there, looking back I understand entirely why he refused. 
  • Haven't used help out to eat out myself, although I have made the tragic mistake of discovering "deliveroo plus." 

Honest Burger in Greenwich has got over a grand out of me since lockdown started. 

I regret nothing. 
  • Bulls Head Chislehurst 
    Lavendar House Sundridge Park
    Bengal Lancer Chislehurst. They only gave us the discount when we saw they hadn’t put it on the bill!

Went to due amici in Chislehurst yesterday but they weren’t doing it.
  • Gave our local Thai some custom on the first week, lovely grub as always but no social distancing, I thought they’d have used every other table or something but they were cramming in as many as they could....understandable given how much they’ll have lost in the preceding months but we’ll give them a miss for now. 
    Last night really fancied a wagamamas for some reason so we pootled up to Wandsworth on the bikes and there was a queue of a good 40 people outside in the street IN THE RAIN to sit on benches with/close to strangers!!!!
    Came home and ordered a takeaway instead 😬
  • Fumbluff said:
    Gave our local Thai some custom on the first week, lovely grub as always but no social distancing, I thought they’d have used every other table or something but they were cramming in as many as they could....understandable given how much they’ll have lost in the preceding months but we’ll give them a miss for now. 
    Last night really fancied a wagamamas for some reason so we pootled up to Wandsworth on the bikes and there was a queue of a good 40 people outside in the street IN THE RAIN to sit on benches with/close to strangers!!!!
    Came home and ordered a takeaway instead 😬
    Was over Bluewater on Monday evening and the queue for Wagamama was over 100 people long. Went all the way past the escalators and round the other side. Madness.
  • Loads of great independent restaurants in Beckenham doing it. Had some fantastic meals in Koz, Hisar and Branded. All done really well with the social distancing and so lovely to see the restaurants busy on these days. The money they’ll be making with full covers will more than make up for the overly quiet Thursdays.
  • Got a day off on Monday week, last day of the offer.

Thinking of taking the kids to the Beefeater by us for the breakfast, given it'll cost me a fiver and you get two kids free with an adult!  Crazy.