Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Eat Out to Help Out

Comments

• Options
    Only used it once so far at Ask Italian ... great meal and all social distancing carefully observed. 
  • Options
    Trying to do lunch and dinner every day! Went to Il Vesuvio in Bexleyheath for lunch yesterday-lovely meal and heading back for lunch again next week. 
  • Options
    From what I've seen when walking around the area (Ealing), the chain restaurants are being strict on social distancing etc, but the independent places are going full capacity at all times. 
  • Options
    From what I've seen when walking around the area (Ealing), the chain restaurants are being strict on social distancing etc, but the independent places are going full capacity at all times. 
    Personally I wouldn't go in if the place was too crowded or it seemed that they were making no effort to ensure social distancing
  • Options
    I didn’t open for the first two weeks of it but after visiting Warwick & Kent on days off & seeing the response I opened yesterday & will next week & was full last night & almost full next wed .
    would rather it been September/October.
    It has a big impact on thurs-Sunday bookings & I don’t think I will be any better off for it week on week from July.
    Ive used it loads myself ,it’s a great deal for consumers but ill thought out on the whole.
  • Options
    Gravesend folk are all dressed up having a fag break outside a Chinese restaurant on a Wednesday night...as though it's London high class nightclub.

To be fair, in terms of numbers and numbers alone...it probably is pretty good for the economy, overall.
  • Options
    Been a few places around Deptford, Ladywell etc all within walking distance of ourselves and it's been great
  • Options
    went to the plough in Eynsford on Monday - would not bother.
    The tourist pub in Eynsford. Has a reputation for being very variable and also expensive. Not been during August but the Malt Shovel and Castle but offer more consistent food and beer. If it's just beer you want, the Five Bells beer is excellent. The cafe by the ford has a good reputation at the moment as well 
  • Options
    Can I ask a question as someone who is very reluctant to use restaurants at the moment. Are all these restaurants and their clientele following social distancing and Covid secure guidelines? People talking of places being 'rammed' and 'buzzing' worries me that they are not safe places to visit.
    To be honest. Was also a bit reluctant. Only place we have been to so far is Chaser Inn, Shipbourne. Sat in garden. Was perfect really. Shown to table, waitress service only for drinks and food. Plenty of waitresses.Tables and seats sanitised between each party. Food and drink always good there. 
  • Options
    Up north. Been to two local restaurants so far. One took temperature check and insisted on hand sanitizer the other just sanitizer. Both had plenty of space and we felt extremely safe.
    I am aware of one chain (Green King)   where a member of staff was COVID positive. The manager asked the person to NOT report they were working. Fortunately the family of the positive person have reported the correct information to the Council.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was in Southampton on Monday and was amazed at the queues in every restaurant. Although it's school holidays, its clear that people are taking the opportunity to eat out.

Had to resist shouting "come on you Addicks" to the kid in the Charlton shirt queuing up for Five Guys with his family... 
    Poor sod, you shoulda phoned Esther Rantzen - 5 guys is minging swill
  • Options
    Had a chat with local restaurateur and he's convinced EOTHO has been a significant boon this month.
    He's had to cut his maximum covers between a half and a third but 50% occupancy is plenty to keep the business sustainably profitable.  Throughout August he's been at this new max Monday to Wednesday all day and evening without fail.  Previously he'd have been delighted to reach 25% occupancy Monday to Wednesday.  His take on it was that for many diners, eating somewhere other than home was something they'd all missed far more than they'd realised and they went to town as a result.
    One didn't have to push the boat out far, our 3 course evening meal for 4 with wine, water and service £82, all diners delighted.  Can't think the last time I ate out in that fashion on a Monday.  Probably back next week if we can get a table.
    Other place (pub with restaurant & garden) across the village rarely if ever opened Monday to Wednesday but with the demand for subsidised meals so high they've been seeing 40 to 50 covers per night with the consequence they've had regular pub trade 3 extra nights a week too, when the barflies realised they were open.
    Neither venue seemed to have been brought to the brink by the shutdown but this month has provided additional contribution even compared to pre-shutdown trading.  I've no idea how representative these 2 places are but with a modicum of management sense EOTHO should make it easier for eateries to transition to their 'new normal'.  It won't save them all of course, that could never be, it does however vastly broaden the opportunity for the better run businesses to adjust.  Best of all I got two very pleasing meals, at highly acceptable venues, at remarkable VFM.   
  • Options
    HandG said:
    Trying to do lunch and dinner every day! Went to Il Vesuvio in Bexleyheath for lunch yesterday-lovely meal and heading back for lunch again next week. 
    Great restaurant 
  • Options
    We went to the Lobster Shack on the beach at Whitstable last week. Beutiful evening and we forgot all about the scheme until the bill came up and we realised we had both eaten lobster, trimmings and a bottle of wine for a touch over £30.00
  • Options
    Harvester is booked about a week in advance.

Went to Beulah Spa last Tuesday and booked again next tuesday.

Had a couple of weatherspoons as well, burger and Chips and a drink with side salad for £4.99 not bad 
    Living the dream paulie :-)
  • Options
    Harvester is booked about a week in advance.

Went to Beulah Spa last Tuesday and booked again next tuesday.

Had a couple of weatherspoons as well, burger and Chips and a drink with side salad for £4.99 not bad 
    Living the dream paulie :-)
    Always 
  • Options
    I think the bigger picture isn't just about saving the pubs and restaurants, but trying to get people back into the habit of going out again, full stop. If they are going out again to eat, they will hopefully (from an economic point of view) also start going again to shopping malls, museums, theme parks etc
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    That's a nice idea, and as it's helping people I can understand those sending food anonymously on this occasion, but why is it normally a thing?  Why do strangers buy food for random people?
  • Options
    We went to the Spanish /Thai place down Charlton church lane on Tuesday, which was very nice.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That's a nice idea, and as it's helping people I can understand those sending food anonymously on this occasion, but why is it normally a thing?  Why do strangers buy food for random people?
    I dunno its weird.

I did it once, went weatherspoons and for a laugh posted it on a group chat I am in and someone sent me a pint but that was it lol
  • Options
    Il Vesuvio twice including yesterday. Whitebait and Salmon Tagliatelle for £6 magic.  Doing the Aligor banquet night on Tuesday. Earl Haig twice.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
  • Options
    Pope st in New Eltham (previously Nico's) does a mean ribs (smoker out back).  Very busy, but social distancing well observed.
  • Options
    We were down in Dawlish Warren for the week a when it first started. 

Saved a bomb eating out twice a day on those 3 days with 2 adults and two kids. 

• Options
    Local pubs round me in East Sussex are very busy indeed but the two we’ve been in have been observing social distancing, the servers wore masks and I saw them gelling up before and after service so been pleasantly surprised. Going to Hoof in Rye on Monday night and up the local pub on Wednesday too.  
  • Options
    Well worth dying for. 
    I’ve served loads since opening and guess what ..... no deaths
  • Options
    Surprised on reports of no social distancing, not been to one pub or restaurant yet where they haven’t made proper effort. Went for dinner in a Bexleyheath pub on Monday and an inspector turned up. 

It’s great to remember how enjoyable eating out is.

Really feel for the staff having to work through this. There’s restrictions on number of staff in kitchens, behind bars etc some of them are working flat out. Sure they’re happy for their jobs, but not easy, particularly pubs with the introduction of ordering apps. You get a hit of ten orders at roughly the same time and only two of you allowed behind the bar, in the nice weather and use of gardens can see this is difficult to service. 
    What was the inspector in there for m8 ,food hygiene or COVID regs?
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Surprised on reports of no social distancing, not been to one pub or restaurant yet where they haven’t made proper effort. Went for dinner in a Bexleyheath pub on Monday and an inspector turned up. 

It’s great to remember how enjoyable eating out is.

Really feel for the staff having to work through this. There’s restrictions on number of staff in kitchens, behind bars etc some of them are working flat out. Sure they’re happy for their jobs, but not easy, particularly pubs with the introduction of ordering apps. You get a hit of ten orders at roughly the same time and only two of you allowed behind the bar, in the nice weather and use of gardens can see this is difficult to service. 
    What was the inspector in there for m8 ,food hygiene or COVID regs?
    Responding to reports of a bloke in a Charlton shirt trying to do a runner.
  • Options
    If you are in the fortunate position to be using the EOTHO scheme but not really 'needing to', a nice gesture is to return some of the benefit by way of an usually generous tip (up to 50%) to the overworked staff.