Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Why are so many people not wearing face masks?

Comments

• Options
    As we speak i’m on a 286 from Greenwich to Eltham and the driver has refused boarding to two maskless students.
    Do drivers have to wear masks or are they enclosed?
    They are enclosed. Most do, some don’t.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    I do find it confusing that the recent massive increase in the percentage of people wearing face masks seems to have a direct correlation with the massive increase in the number of people being infected with the virus.
    you're not funny
    if you're genuinely confused, stay home, we'll all be safer
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Hal1x said:
    I work in a Supermarket, we can ask but we are not allowed to prevent entry or insist someone wears a mask. We have a few customers who persistently refuse to wear a mask (one because its all a government conspiracy). I cant see why I cant refuse to serve them. Why should I have to put myself and my family in danger just because of these wankers 
    I thought it was now the law that people wear a mask in shops? 

Ridiculous if entry cannot be refused without a mask. 

You should not be allowed on public transport without a mask, or allowed in any shops.
    Perhaps the ignorant a***holes will then learn.
    As with the public transport situation, enforcing it is the issue. And the type of person actively not wearing a mask (who are not exempt) and the way they are likely to behave when challenged.
    Agreed.

Security at mainline train stations and tubes, shops also, bus drivers refusing entry and turning the ignition off.

I realise it is another matter if these people remove the masks once in shops/on board.
    Stopping the bus etc. just inconveniences everyone. The sort who are openly defying wearing a face mask, are generally openly defiant in general. And at most will put on a mask to prevent themselves being stopped from getting a fine or being prevented from going where they want to. But will just take if off once they get want they want
    Reading that as CHAVS ;)
    Not CHAVS just the type with an attitude problem, who don't like being told what to do and think they're displaying 'character' doing what they want/not complying.  Where in face they are selfish and stupid
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Hal1x said:
    I work in a Supermarket, we can ask but we are not allowed to prevent entry or insist someone wears a mask. We have a few customers who persistently refuse to wear a mask (one because its all a government conspiracy). I cant see why I cant refuse to serve them. Why should I have to put myself and my family in danger just because of these wankers 

You should not be allowed on public transport without a mask, or allowed in any shops.
    As with the public transport situation, enforcing it is the issue. And the type of person actively not wearing a mask (who are not exempt) and the way they are likely to behave when challenged.
    Agreed.

Security at mainline train stations and tubes, shops also, bus drivers refusing entry and turning the ignition off.

I realise it is another matter if these people remove the masks once in shops/on board.
    Stopping the bus etc. just inconveniences everyone. The sort who are openly defying wearing a face mask, are generally openly defiant in general. And at most will put on a mask to prevent themselves being stopped from getting a fine or being prevented from going where they want to. But will just take if off once they get want they want
    So what is the answer?

Most of these pigs will probably shrug their shoulders then try another bus.
    If every bus turns them away they either walk or conform. 
    No, they'll probably cause an incident potentially causing inconvenience and worse with safety and security risks to other people. And the police just can't attend every incident.

Sadly I dont know what the answer is but hope there is a darwinian effect without impacting too many orhers 

• Options
    edited October 2020
    IdleHans said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Hal1x said:

Agreed.

Reading that as CHAVS ;)
    Not CHAVS just the type with an attitude problem, who don't lje being told what to do and think they're displaying 'character' doing what they want/not complying.  Where in face they are selfish and stupid
    In my experience 'character' invariably translates as 'a bit of a c**t'
    DoAsYouLikeys...
  • Options
    Went for my first visit since before last Christmas to Bluewater Shopping centre today, and walking around the main concourses, I have to say that I only saw 2 people without masks. They were early 20s and sadly, very overweight, so probably vulnerable themselves. Idiots.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    I do find it confusing that the recent massive increase in the percentage of people wearing face masks seems to have a direct correlation with the massive increase in the number of people being infected with the virus.
    you're not funny
    Not trying to be funny. Would just like a sensible answer to what I believe is a reasonable question without being patronised.

And I do stay at home, not from confusion, but because this virus would more than likely finish me off.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Addickted said:
    Addickted said:
    you're not funny
    Not trying to be funny. Would just like a sensible answer to what I believe is a reasonable question without being patronised.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/news.sky.com/story/amp/coronavirus-more-than-half-of-us-are-reusing-disposable-masks-and-others-arent-being-washed-much-12087965

Here is an example towards an article what you are interested in.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Hal1x said:

Agreed.

Reading that as CHAVS ;)
    Not CHAVS just the type with an attitude problem, who don't lje being told what to do and think they're displaying 'character' doing what they want/not complying.  Where in face they are selfish and stupid
    Them and chavs :-)
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Hal1x said:

Agreed.

Reading that as CHAVS ;)
    In my experience 'character' invariably translates as 'a bit of a c**t'
    Yes, I was trying to be diplomatic!
  • Options
    I don't believe there's a single medical condition that would stop you wearing a mask. Would love to be proved wrong outside of anecdotal nonsense, give me scientific facts why someone would not be able to breathe through a mask. 

Unless you don't have ears. 
    I suspect there are, especially ASD and MHs. But I know people who have asthma who struggle wearing a mask but have conditioned themselves to wear one because they are at increased risk so in many ways need to wear one. I suspect this is the case of many of the exempt conditions. And if they can't wear a face mask, sure the visor option is the alternative for many
  • Options
    I don't believe there's a single medical condition that would stop you wearing a mask. Would love to be proved wrong outside of anecdotal nonsense, give me scientific facts why someone would not be able to breathe through a mask. 

Unless you don't have ears. 
    Maybe not medical, but surely some could feel claustrophobic or panicky wearing one?
    If you feel anxious about Coronavirus, surely you can feel anxious about wearing a mask as it takes all forms, not just this bloody virus?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Hal1x said:

Agreed.

Reading that as CHAVS ;)
    Not CHAVS just the type with an attitude problem, who don't like being told what to do and think they're displaying 'character' doing what they want/not complying.  Where in face they are selfish and stupid
    Maybe a £1,000 fine might change their attitude?
  • Options
    We've got a lot of "traffic wardens" in Bromley patrolling empty roads.
    Why can't we have them patrolling shops instead of the empty roads.
    Alternatively, recruit more people and with large fines it would pay for itself.
    I realise this may need government intervention/legislation, as presently only the police can issue fines.
  • Options
    Does anyone on here currently travel to Canning Town by Dlr at rush hour. Is it busy or okay?
  • Options
    As we speak i’m on a 286 from Greenwich to Eltham and the driver has refused boarding to two maskless students.
    Similar thing happened on a 53 outside Charlton House the other day. The driver refused boarding to two 20-something women. Their excuse was that “We’re only going two stops.” To which the driver replied “If you’re only going two stops you can walk it!” They got on anyway and sat down, at which point the driver switched off and refused to move. A five minute stand-off ensued and when they heard him radioing for police attendance, they got off at the same time hurling abuse at all and sundry. Nice people! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    addick19 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Hal1x said:

Agreed.

Reading that as CHAVS ;)
    Maybe a £1,000 fine might change their attitude?
    Agreed but who to implement it and prevent breaches of the peace etc?
  • Options
    Was in Dartford Sunday afternoon and mask compliance was very good

By contrast in Brent Cross shopping centre on Friday afternoon after 4, mask compliance was far worse, especially amongst children - there's no exemption from 11 onwards
  • Options
    There are people who can’t wear masks for medical reasons but there are a hell of a lot more who claim they can’t wear masks for medical reasons. 

I appreciate that some people don’t want to wear a badge saying they are exempt but if it was a requirement to do so, it would be a lot easier to call out the selfish scum who claim they can’t wear one.
  • Options
    There are people who can’t wear masks for medical reasons but there are a hell of a lot more who claim they can’t wear masks for medical reasons. 

I appreciate that some people don’t want to wear a badge saying they are exempt but if it was a requirement to do so, it would be a lot easier to call out the selfish scum who claim they can’t wear one.
    But how to police it? How to manage the process for getting a genuine badge that can't be used by someone else or faked/counterfeited?
  • Options
    Mask fascists and mask zealots, lol. (However, my sympathy goes out to LenGlover)

I googled this and it led me to this interesting read:

Mask wearing: A historical, cultural and ethical perspective

• Options
    edited October 2020
    I have trouble breathing through my nose.
    I've had an operation which did no good.
    I wore a few masks and felt like I couldn't breathe and they were unbearable.

Then I tried the light blue "medical" masks, which seem most commonly worn.
    I still dislike them, but I'm ok now going round the supermarket etc.
    It's apparent that some masks are awful and some are far more comfortable.
    I decided I'd rather find a comfortable one, than not go out for years.

I also found that I was breathing too shallowly, through some illogical fear and when I realised I needed to breathe more deeply, it also became far less troublesome.  
    My brother has an almost completely closed sinus passage, has done since we were young.

He can wear a mask. But then he's been a mouth breather only since maybe 12 years old.

Completely unrelated note, fabric masks are awesome for keeping your nose warm on a cold morning...