Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Why are so many people not wearing face masks?

Comments

• Options
    Totally agree with you, Princess Fiona
  • Options
    I think sociologists of the future are going to have so much to study from the coronavirus situation.

It really has brought out the best and worst in people.

I appreciate it is only a minority and people are frustrated etc. with restrictions and lockdowns, but surely if you live in an area (e.g. Liverpool) that is being put under restrictions because of the (increasing) level of infections i.e. risk (because of current actions and behaviour) that is a stark warning to be more responsible. As opposed to actively going out and being the complete opposite and being completely irresponsible, putting you, your nearest and dearest, associates, colleagues let alone complete strangers at an even higher risk
  • Options
    May I ask if you believe going out alone and walking down the street without a mask is irresponsible?

• Options
    edited October 2020
    May I ask if you believe going out alone and walking down the street without a mask is irresponsible?
    I wear mine on the school run? Does that count?

I wear it there and back. 

However I don't think your scenario is irresponsible, but you should now always have one on you as a bare minimum effort 
  • Options

Who are you asking?
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Soon, we will all be obliged to wear this.

https://www.wish.com/product/5e7ab0feeb6ab509cb3e3f97?from_ad=goog_shopping&_display_country_code=FR&_force_currency_code=EUR&pid=googleadwords_int&c={campaignId}&ad_cid=5e7ab0feeb6ab509cb3e3f97&ad_cc=FR&ad_lang=FR&ad_curr=EUR&ad_price=32.00&campaign_id=8143562047&exclude_install=true&gclid=CjwKCAjww5r8BRB6EiwArcckCzA0Z5opIonh6EU2Oe8yN5syzDscsqyKpDisMZnMKYKffA1Tz9xuJRoCvSQQAvD_BwE&hide_login_modal=true&share=mobileweb

This sounds crazy  I know, but I think like many others that it already is. Most people are obliging through fear of the fine of 135 euros, not through any concerns of the virus.

Contrary to what someone posted on here a little while back, the slippery slope argument has merit.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

However I don't think your scenario is irresponsible, but you should now always have one on you as a bare minimum effort 
    By 'on you' do you mean in my pocket, ready if necessity arises?

If not, you mean I should wear one alone in the street, don't you?
  • Options

In my opinion no, but in busy areas I think local councils should advise it.
  • Options

I go out for a walk most lunchtimes. In the residential streets and parks I don't wear a mask but do have one in my pocket in case I need to go into a shop. When I go up to the High Street I put the mask on when I get near and don't take it off until I'm on my way back home.

Residential street - hardly ever see another person and easy to stay apart as pavements and roads are quiet.

High Street - busy with people and traffic, difficult to stay any distance away due to people queuing to get into shops and buses/cars in the road.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

https://www.wish.com/product/5e7ab0feeb6ab509cb3e3f97?from_ad=goog_shopping&_display_country_code=FR&_force_currency_code=EUR&pid=googleadwords_int&c={campaignId}&ad_cid=5e7ab0feeb6ab509cb3e3f97&ad_cc=FR&ad_lang=FR&ad_curr=EUR&ad_price=32.00&campaign_id=8143562047&exclude_install=true&gclid=CjwKCAjww5r8BRB6EiwArcckCzA0Z5opIonh6EU2Oe8yN5syzDscsqyKpDisMZnMKYKffA1Tz9xuJRoCvSQQAvD_BwE&hide_login_modal=true&share=mobileweb

This sounds crazy  I know, but I think like many others that it already is. Most people are obliging through fear of the fine of 135 euros, not through any concerns of the virus.

Contrary to what someone posted on here a little while back, the slippery slope argument has merit.
    If a face covering is as effective as we are lead to believe it would be totally immoral to remove these restrictions even after the pandemic has come to an end. The slippery slope argument was lost along time ago. By everyone wearing face coverings it would fight against various virus. Face coverings are now a permeant part of our lives. 

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Wilma said:

I go out for a walk most lunchtimes. In the residential streets and parks I don't wear a mask but do have one in my pocket in case I need to go into a shop. When I go up to the High Street I put the mask on when I get near and don't take it off until I'm on my way back home.

Residential street - hardly ever see another person and easy to stay apart as pavements and roads are quiet.

High Street - busy with people and traffic, difficult to stay any distance away due to people queuing to get into shops and buses/cars in the road.
    I agree, I can't see if you are out and nowhere near anybody that it is irresponsible not to wear a mask. Your criteria seems sensible.
  • Options
    I put a mask on as I approach somewhere I need to be inside, if I'm outdoors I don't wear one. That said I've hardly been out 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

No I mean on you... as in on your person... Not necessarily on your face. 

Otherwise I wouldn't have agreed that your scenario is not irresponsible. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

I took it as on you and agree with this approach. 

A large group of college students were walking towards me earlier, one with a mask around his chin, the rest mask commando. No social distancing etc, I put mine on. I don’t know if it did anything to protect me but it made me fell more at ease.

• Options
    I was out yesterday walking towards the shopping centre wearing a facecover in anticipation of shortly being in the shopping centre and needing to.  Some random bloke walks up to me and tells me I should take the mask off.  I said, 'no, I'm fine with it on thanks' but he kept berating me, telling me to at least uncover my nose, telling me that 'it says on the internet' (a sure fire way to indicate it must be true) that you shouldn't wear a facecover for more than 15 mins otherwise it does irrepairable (he may not have used quite such a long word as that) damag'' etc etc.

I'm minding my own business, I am outside but in a busy area, I choose to wear a facecover, it's not bothering anyone, doesn't have an offensive slogan printed on it and I'm looking after my health and indeed his etc etc.  And if he genuinely thinks you're limited to 15 mins I hope he has to go somewhere by train for more than a couple of stops* and someone's on Mask Checking Duty.

I'm not 100% convinced on the science regarding masks but they're required in some places, convenient to keep on if going into a succession of places where they're required and they don't cause harm, so I'm ok with erring on the side of caution.  Thinking about it now, I perhaps should've faked a coughing fit?

* or be near the points outside Lewisham station.
  • Options
    Fair play to some of the charing cross staff tonight wearing the mask under the chin. Legends.

Take a photo and out it up on social media.
  • Options
    edited October 2020

If a face covering is as effective as we are lead to believe it would be totally immoral to remove these restrictions even after the pandemic has come to an end. The slippery slope argument was lost along time ago. By everyone wearing face coverings it would fight against various virus. Face coverings are now a permeant part of our lives. 

It's not a good time to be wumming imo.
    You've already told us you that you believe we should try to carry on as normal as is possible.
    For me it’s about time we were sensible and cracked on - as it’s not going to disappear if we all stay indoors for 3 months we come back out and it will rise again 
    SouthWestAddicks said -

"At some point we are all going to come to the same conclusion. Some people like myself are at this stage. Others will come to conclusion when we have the budget next year. or when we come to the warmer months in 2021. It might take a 3rd or 4th lockdown before other change their minds. Others will wait for a vaccine to be rolled out across 50m in the UK. A day will have to come when we try and go back to normal. Here’s hoping that it will be in March next year, but even trying to be optimistic I cannot see anything like cracking on for a long time.

The Lancet recommend that some restrictions will need to be in place until 2022 at the earliest. At some point we will need to look long term rather than short term. All we are doing his pushing the problem further down the road. We will see where are in 6 months time".
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Berlin taking a robust line on non mask wearers
    "We obey the corona rules"
    Berlin coronavirus advert

Berlin's tourism authority has launched an ad campaign featuring an elderly woman giving the middle finger to people who refuse to wear masks.

"The raised index finger for all those without a mask," reads the poster, alongside a photo of the masked woman.

Visit Berlin has said the campaign is to highlight the importance of protecting the health of the elderly.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fair play to some of the charing cross staff tonight wearing the mask under the chin. Legends.

You are right I probably should. I'm going in once a week at the moment and I walk straight through the main doors and straight onto the train so no waiting around on the concourse.

I just find it strange how 99% of passengers are wearing them and I've seen staff tell some passengers that dont have it on over their nose to pull it up, however many of the station staff either aren't wearing them or have them on under their chin.
  • Options

You are right I probably should. I'm going in once a week at the moment and I walk straight through the main doors and straight onto the train so no waiting around on the concourse.

I just find it strange how 99% of passengers are wearing them and I've seen staff tell some passengers that dont have it on over their nose to pull it up, however many of the station staff either aren't wearing them or have them on under their chin.
    This. Same on South Western; it's bad enough staff aren't complying, but can they 'request' passengers comply?
  • Options

This. Same on South Western; it's bad enough staff aren't complying, but can they 'request' passengers comply?
    I've just assumed I'm missing some kind of rule which gives staff exemptions.

If I see station staff at charing cross with no mask I assume it's a medical reason. When I see station staff with a mask but its under the chin then I think it's a piss take, especially when there are signs dotted around the station saying you will be fined 3k for not wearing one.
  • Options

I've just assumed I'm missing some kind of rule which gives staff exemptions.

If I see station staff at charing cross with no mask I assume it's a medical reason. When I see station staff with a mask but its under the chin then I think it's a piss take, especially when there are signs dotted around the station saying you will be fined 3k for not wearing one.
    Exactly. And they are close to passengers for the whole of their shift not just passing though
  • Options
    Any tips from glasses wearers on how not to get steamed glasses? Was walking through school playground this morning like Stevie Wonder.

there is no way I could drive wearing one
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    Get a mask that's got a wire insert so you can mould it as closely to your nose and face as possible, and then put your glasses over the top. That way you should get a decent seal and your breath won't escape up onto your glasses.
    100%, for people who wear glasses this is good advice.
  • Options
    I don't know if this would work, but I was thinking about it the other day. You know that windscreen product Rain X, they do a version to stop the inside of the windscreen misting up. I was wondering if that might work on glasses? Anybody know?
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Any tips from glasses wearers on how not to get steamed glasses? Was walking through school playground this morning like Stevie Wonder.

The number of people I see driving alone in their cars wearing one is another thing that's doing my head in.

I just think everyone's gone mad.

I'm serious when I say that I hate going out now because all this mask wearing is freaking me out. I mean it. I'm bewildered by it. The lollipop man is just creepy now.
  • Options

The number of people I see driving alone in their cars wearing one is another thing that's doing my head in.

I just think everyone's gone mad.

I'm serious when I say that I hate going out now because all this mask wearing is freaking me out. I mean it. I'm bewildered by it. The lollipop man is just creepy now.
    Yeah that confuses me seeing people driving solo wearing one and I agree about not wanting to be out with all the masks and covid stuff

Going to the pub is not going to the pub anymore, understandably, and I'm glad people that need that change of scenery can get it but for me it is a tense experience and not one I want to repeat. That said, hypocritically, I want pubs to be there when it isn't like going to a lab and as far as my local goes I'd happily pay in advance, every month of I have to to build up a massive tab for me and to help them keep the lights on