Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Crewe v Charlton | Sat 12 Sept | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    I think Bowyer may hold off with starting Barker given his age. He can play Pratley there and he did pretty well against Palace.
  • Options
    I hope if we are one up, that we remain attacking and do not attempt to close up shop like we did so many times in the Championship.
  • Options
    2 -1 to the South London CAFC

Washington scores on his debut and a late clincher from super sub Chuks to ease the nerves.

• Options
    This is the approach Bowyer had when he started managing us and he has to get that back.  
  • Options
    This is the approach Bowyer had when he started managing us and he has to get that back.  
    I am unclear the approach you are alluding too?
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Probably an attacking one as Mutts felt he was too defensive I guess. Can't say I agree with that because we were in a higher division and with the squad we had,injury issues, players downing tools and transfer embargo he could only work with what he had i.e. Defend, stay in the game, nick a goal and try and hang on for the 3 points.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    RedChaser said:
    Redrobo said:
    Probably an attacking one as Mutts felt he was too defensive I guess. Can't say I agree with that because we were in a higher division and with the squad we had,injury issues, players downing tools and transfer embargo he could only work with what he had i.e. Defend, stay in the game, nick a goal and try and hang on for the 3 points.
    You are in good company as a large number of managers share your view. These are the managers Wilder thanked for Sheffield United's success.

Why are teams not too open generally at the start of a game? The reason is simple, they do not want to have that openness exploited by their opponents. They know they will lose more points than they win by doing this. So you have a game where one team is on top and they score. If they don't get another they start to think about preserving their lead as the game goes on. No matter how much on top they have been.

Now for the mentality of the team that is losing. They may feel there is enough time to get into the game and respect their opponents not to change anything too soon. But a point comes when they have to take risks. This is a bloody nuisance for the side that is leading as their opponents, which they are outplaying, are effectively changing the rules of engagement. 

Your opponents are doing what they would not have done at the start of the game because it would be foolish. If you respond in the way you may have started the game had they been so open you will be the most likely to score the next goal. For the same reasons as would be the case at the start of the game. But if you try to preserve your lead and sit back, they have increased their chances of success.  

It is my view that a negative approach costs you more points than it wins you. There being a difference of two points between a win and a draw is the reason. I understand that it is human nature to try to hold on to what you have but I am firmly of the view that you have to fight against this. I would imagine, the better the quality the team you are playing, the harder it is to do so though. 
  • Options
    Amazing that we have only played them 4 times although we've both been in the league for nearly 100 years. 
  • Options
    3-1 Charlton... Party vibe after Sandgaard takes over... And we look very good 
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    RedChaser said:
    Redrobo said:
    You are in good company as a large number of managers share your view. These are the managers Wilder thanked for Sheffield United's success.

Why are teams not too open generally at the start of a game? The reason is simple, they do not want to have that openness exploited by their opponents. They know they will lose more points than they win by doing this. So you have a game where one team is on top and they score. If they don't get another they start to think about preserving their lead as the game goes on. No matter how much on top they have been.

Now for the mentality of the team that is losing. They may feel there is enough time to get into the game and respect their opponents not to change anything too soon. But a point comes when they have to take risks. This is a bloody nuisance for the side that is leading as their opponents, which you are outplaying, are effectively changing the rules of engagement. 

Your opponents are doing what they would not have done at the start of the game because it would be foolish. If you respond in the way you may have started the game had they been so open you will be the most likely to score the next goal. For the same reasons as would be the case at the start of the game.  

It is my view that a negative approach costs you more points than it wins you. There being a difference of two points between a win and a draw is the reason. I understand that it is human nature to try to hold on to what you have but I am firmly of the view that you have to fight against this. I would imagine, the better the quality the team you are playing, the harder it is to do so though. 
    That's fair enough and I get all that I played the game at a decent amature level Saturdays and Sundays for 20 odd years including vets football but we beg to differ. Kevin Kegan's approach when Newcastle went head to head with Manure for the Premier League title all those years back was one of 'we'll score more goals than you'. Great entertainment value but no cigars.

As fans we all think we could do the manager's job better and hindsight is a wonderful thing with team selection and in game management. Some of us have even managed a Sunday League title winning team 😉.

However what we seem to forget is that the vast majority of professional team managers and coaches have been involved the game since their youth and have far greater knowledge of all its aspects than us mere mortals.

That's not to say they are beyond criticism but I have seen enough from Bowyer's management, which is still in its early years, to adapt to the needs of each match as it plays out so no need to be concerned about how he will apply himself to this season's challenges as far as I'm concerned.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2020
    I have managed at youth level. And you would see me urging my team forwards when we were one up even though my instinct was to defend. I recall the struggle to do so. It doesn't matter about the level or the general management skill. It is a principle in which I believe with a certainty. Bowyer is a better manager than either of us. But this is more a mentality thing than a formation or set up thing. It is about odds and lots of great footballers and managers have shown in the past they might not be so hot on those :) 

If you have a great defence, it may rightly push you into this defensive approach. I have noticed with us though in recent years that whilst we are not shoddy defensively, we do not defend well under pressure. The ball just keeps coming back and that is not playing the odds well in my opinion.
  • Options
    Crewe really struggle to score goals as do we. I'm going for a 0-0
    Hmm we struggled in the league above and have just played a team promoted from the league below and scored 3. 

I think we'll score many more at this level. 
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    se9addick said:
    I reckon Morgan is ahead of Vennings all being equal.
    I agree, and for me he would be but Bowyer doesn’t seem to like Morgan too much (especially the defensive aspects of his game). 
    But he would still have Morgan ahead of Vennings at this point. It isn't one of those close calls. Vennings is a promising youngster I may add.
    I think I remember Jackson saying Vennings is the next one to watch from the academy, that was a couple of years ago.  
    I saw Vennings and Doughty in a friendly last year, Doughty looked off the pace and Vennings looked fantastic. 

When put into the first team, Vennings looked off the pace and Doughty fantastic.

Who knows who will step up next?! 

Those that go to unders games (or did pre-lockdown) what's your opinion on the next youth to step up. 

• Options
    Always had a soft spot for Crewe,after seeing them get done 13-2 at Spurs many years ago (10-1 at half time)They had a great old time centre forward Bert Llewellyn who I think got both Crewe goals.However sentiment aside,we should win this hopefully by 2 or 3 goals  and get off to a start.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Blue training kits for the first team now?
    Yeah I noticed that early in pre-season... Makes me wonder what the Academy kids wear

Was a good idea giving the kids the red training top when they'd been training with the Seniors
  • Options
    Terrific preview .. their problem now unlike in Dario Gradi's day, top clubs now hoover up talent from all over the world and not just the North West and Midlands so they now find it more difficult to sign and nurture young talent .. as said though a great old club from a famous railway town (Oh Mr Porter What can I do? ) and it's good to see them still thriving and playing 'the right way'. 
    I'd like to see Barker and Aneke start with Pratley in midfield and see us off to a good start for what will be a very strange season

Crewe Alexandra 0 v CAFC 2
  • Options
    CAFC 2 CAFC 3
    CAFC will win!

Just off to check the odds...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Levitt and Gilbey. 
    Gilbey and Levitt. 
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    JamesSeed said:
    Levitt and Gilbey. 
    Gilbey and Levitt. 
    I prefer the latter, alphabetical order and sounds like a firm of solicitors 😉.
  • Options
    It's got 5-5 written all over it.
  • Options
    3-1 win Too much in midfield and up front for Crewe to handle, while Pratley does his best but gives away a pen... Bonne, Washington and Aneke (from the bench) with the goals 
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    1-1. The reality that we are a League 1 club starts to kick in.
  • Options
    It's got 5-5 written all over it.

• Options
    Horrible first game. If we win, it will be a case 'well, I should hope so'. If we lose, it will feel like three points down the drain due to the fiasco off the field. I hope we do enough to scrape three points somehow. I have a feeling it will be 0-0.
  • Options
    Would imagine Charlie Barker is a shoe in to start now
  • Options
    Think there I think there will be far harder games to come, and with what should be full first 11 available, fully expect 3 points. Addicks 2-0. 
  • Options
    0-2. Bonne with both.