Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Crewe v Charlton | Sat 12 Sept | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    2-0 Charlton. 

The squad lacks depth and numbers but I do think we have quality at this level. Confident players like Williams, Doughty & JFC will show their ability. The concern is always when we have two play three times a week. Here's hoping we will have a few more first teams members to choose from when we play Doncaster next Saturday.

• Options
    Newly promoted sides are dangerous. 1-1 wouldn't be a bad result.
  • Options
    Our midfield will be too strong for Crewe 3-2 away win .
  • Options
    We’re going to win, hoping for 3 or 4 nil, but will probably be 1-0... Come on you rip roaring Tommy Sandgaard Reds...!!
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    3-1 Charlton
    Gilbey and Levitt to show that Gallen has still got it. 
  • Options
    Newly promoted sides are dangerous. 1-1 wouldn't be a bad result.
    It wouldn't if we are incredibly unlucky, one game doesn't make a season, but we have better players and should expect to win
  • Options
    Big thanks to the EFL for really helping to destroy our club. Think with all the struggles this season a lot of clubs could be in a similar position, the EFL will be busy.
    Not good to play a promoted side away early on but at least they have no crowd to cheer them on. I quite like Pratley at centre half. Very important game as a good start id essential. 1-1, points shared.
  • Options
    6-0 to Crewe
  • Options
    We’re going to win, hoping for 3 or 4 nil, but will probably be 1-0... Come on you rip roaring Tommy Sandgaard Reds...!!
    You bet!
  • Options
    1-0. Purrington o.g
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'll go for 2-0 to us. Slow start but we take control.
  • Options
    Excellent preview @ForeverAddickted and as said before, looking forward to sharing these again with you this season. Don’t really feel as though we’ve had a break from it all to be completely honest, but we kick on!

Got nothing to go on, Crewe haven’t played in the league for 6 months but play some good and progressive football by all accounts. Being at home they’re going to want to start the season in a positive way so I fully expect a tough game where they try their best to make it difficult for us, try to impose themselves early. The advantage of course is they’re yet to play a league game without the crowd, and with being promoted last season, in normal circumstances they may have played a big part.

Players like Aneke and Levitt will surely start on the bench coming on in the second half. We could have some good options on the bench really, when you consider the position the squad is in.

Hopefully after tomorrow, Bowyer gets the help that he so desperately needs and deserves. A positive result could be a little lift that he also needs.

Tough start really, but one I think our midfield and attack will just edge.

Amos
    Lapslie Oshilaja Pratley Purrington
    Gilbey Forster-Caskey Williams
    Washington Bonne Doughty

Maynard-Brewer, Barker, Levitt, Morgan, Oztumer, Aneke, Davison

Crewe Alexandra 1-2 Charlton Athletic
    Bonne
    Gilbey
  • Options
    Lapslie at RB? Not seen enough if him to say he can run that one but sounds fantastic if he has it in him
  • Options
    We are one defensive injury away from having no defence. Keep fit and win!
  • Options
    At this level Lapslie has it in him.
  • Options
    Lapslie at RB? Not seen enough if him to say he can run that one but sounds fantastic if he has it in him
    We've seen him there. He doesn't really, but Crewe probably don't have a Championship-quality winger, so we might get away with it. Would rather see Oshilaja there and Barker in the middle 
  • Options
    Remember when Freddie Ulvestad turned out to be a gun CB at League One level? Hopefully one of our midfielders could do a similar turn if required 
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    Redrobo said:
    This is the approach Bowyer had when he started managing us and he has to get that back.  
    I am unclear the approach you are alluding too?
    Probably an attacking one as Mutts felt he was too defensive I guess. Can't say I agree with that because we were in a higher division and with the squad we had,injury issues, players downing tools and transfer embargo he could only work with what he had i.e. Defend, stay in the game, nick a goal and try and hang on for the 3 points.
    You are in good company as a large number of managers share your view. These are the managers Wilder thanked for Sheffield United's success.

Why are teams not too open generally at the start of a game? The reason is simple, they do not want to have that openness exploited by their opponents. They know they will lose more points than they win by doing this. So you have a game where one team is on top and they score. If they don't get another they start to think about preserving their lead as the game goes on. No matter how much on top they have been.

Now for the mentality of the team that is losing. They may feel there is enough time to get into the game and respect their opponents not to change anything too soon. But a point comes when they have to take risks. This is a bloody nuisance for the side that is leading as their opponents, which you are outplaying, are effectively changing the rules of engagement. 

Your opponents are doing what they would not have done at the start of the game because it would be foolish. If you respond in the way you may have started the game had they been so open you will be the most likely to score the next goal. For the same reasons as would be the case at the start of the game.  

It is my view that a negative approach costs you more points than it wins you. There being a difference of two points between a win and a draw is the reason. I understand that it is human nature to try to hold on to what you have but I am firmly of the view that you have to fight against this. I would imagine, the better the quality the team you are playing, the harder it is to do so though. 
    That's fair enough and I get all that I played the game at a decent amature level Saturdays and Sundays for 20 odd years including vets football but we beg to differ. Kevin Kegan's approach when Newcastle went head to head with Manure for the Premier League title all those years back was one of 'we'll score more goals than you'. Great entertainment value but no cigars.

As fans we all think we could do the manager's job better and hindsight is a wonderful thing with team selection and in game management. Some of us have even managed a Sunday League title winning team 😉.

However what we seem to forget is that the vast majority of professional team managers and coaches have been involved the game since their youth and have far greater knowledge of all its aspects than us mere mortals.

That's not to say they are beyond criticism but I have seen enough from Bowyer's management, which is still in its early years, to adapt to the needs of each match as it plays out so no need to be concerned about how he will apply himself to this season's challenges as far as I'm concerned.

Be fair Chaser.
    We knew if we were winning or in a couple of cases drawing with 30mins to go we were going to try and hang on.
    It didnt work on quite a few occasions and we were relegated.
    The trouble for managers is its a very thin line, we have fans who are defensive minded and fans who are attacking minded.
    It will to the day i die do my f@cking head in that a player is not left on the halfway line when his team is defending a corner.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    What I think is a factor too is how your defence performs under pressure. I think our defence is decent but if it can't reset and the ball keeps coming back it is terrible. At least that was the case at the end of last season.
  • Options
    A lot of Championship defences would probably struggle with the midfield and attack we had in those last 9 games in front of them. It meant they were constantly under pressure. Even if we were winning we couldn’t finish games by scoring a second or third goal.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sage said:
    Excellent preview @ForeverAddickted and as said before, looking forward to sharing these again with you this season. Don’t really feel as though we’ve had a break from it all to be completely honest, but we kick on!

Got nothing to go on, Crewe haven’t played in the league for 6 months but play some good and progressive football by all accounts. Being at home they’re going to want to start the season in a positive way so I fully expect a tough game where they try their best to make it difficult for us, try to impose themselves early. The advantage of course is they’re yet to play a league game without the crowd, and with being promoted last season, in normal circumstances they may have played a big part.

Players like Aneke and Levitt will surely start on the bench coming on in the second half. We could have some good options on the bench really, when you consider the position the squad is in.

Hopefully after tomorrow, Bowyer gets the help that he so desperately needs and deserves. A positive result could be a little lift that he also needs.

Amos
    Washington Bonne Doughty

Bonne
    Gilbey
    I like your team, but do wonder if Bows will give Barker a start and play Oshilaja at right back. It would be asking a lot of the lad but I think he is good enough physically and mentally. Not something we would want going forward, but hopefully reinforcements are coming.
  • Options
    Our squad is probably not much better than the average League One side.

The Bowyer effect is key, but we will be a big scalp again, every week. 

Would absolutely love a win to kick start our season but head saying draw.
    2-2 

• Options
    edited September 2020
    As I implied in my earlier post Bowyer could only work with what he had in a higher division which in the final analysis wasn't enough for a variety of reasons. Not least of all our best hold up player to relieve pressure on the defence, downing tools.

It was horses for courses and had we had the ability to go and get a second or third goal we would have done. So the 'let's hang on to what we've got' (Frankie Valli & the Four Seasons) approach prevailed.

Leaving a player up at corners, two players on the post defending a corner was my era and is preaching to the converted. However these days everyone in a defensive position and just one or sometimes no one on the post is often preferred. Ah for the good old W formation and tactics of yesteryear  😉.
  • Options
    Sage said:

Amos
    Washington Bonne Doughty

Bonne
    Gilbey
    Yeah I like your team @Sage and wont be surprised if thats what we see with Levitt doing a Gallagher at Blackburn at the very least

Looking forward to sharing duties with you this season but a little jealous that you get the West Ham preview ;)
  • Options
    Our squad is probably not much better than the average League One side.

The Bowyer effect is key, but we will be a big scalp again, every week. 

Would absolutely love a win to kick start our season but head saying draw.
    2-2 

I think the squad is not all it should be, but when fully fit, we have some players that are well above the level. If we don't add, we will suffer later in the season.
  • Options
    With empty stadia is playing at home an advantage. Teams usually only go to this home ground on match days and at the beginning of the season the pitch will be as strange to some home players as away players, there is no crowd so that is the advantage?
  • Options
    With empty stadia is playing at home an advantage. Teams usually only go to this home ground on match days and at the beginning of the season the pitch will be as strange to some home players as away players, there is no crowd so that is the advantage?
    Few other factors

- Charlton have played quite a few games in empty stadiums now so will be used to the experience
     - We've also played more competitive games so shouldnt be as rusty
     - When you usually take these factors into consideration it usually results in the reverse result
  • Options
    4-0 to Charlton. Bonne (3) Aneke.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Think Bows will give them a right good “all in this together” team/club talk & I think it will be enough to get us over the winning line today,we score early to settle the nerves then just before half time or beginning of 2nd half we let the obligatory goal in...after a bit of a roasting...we come alive again 1-3 Bonne,Doughty & Williams (finally)

Cmon u Addicks
  • Options
    CAFC to win ?

The Cafc which is obsessed with trains.
    The Cafc which sells its best youngsters.
    The Cafc which isn't that far from rich Premier teams.
    The Cafc that Danny Murphy played for.

I hope that's clear.