Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Understanding racism - only read if interested in this topic!

Comments

• Options
    Great post Iceman.

Those interested might want to check out episode 1 of the new Grayson Perry series which looks at what’s going on in the States.

• Options
    Nothing to add but just wanted to say great post @Iceman , learned a lot (even watched the video) which makes a nice change as I normally feel dumber after spending time on Charlton Life! 
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Fascinating discussion (at times a little heated) has just taken place on TalkSport between Simon Jordan and John Amaechi.

It's main premise was about Paul Elliott (the ex player) being told that the process to vote him onto the FA board will take 9 months (despite him currently working for the FA).

Once the 'catch-up' link is available I'll put it on here. 
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    https://talksport.com/radio/listen-again/1601456400/1601460000/

John Amaechi segment starts at about -22.00. Well worth a listen.
  • Options
    Cheers @bazjonster good radio that. A bit of tension comes over ten times better on radio than TV
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Iceman the clarity with which you write is nothing but helpful to all of us and to this discussion.
    Thank you.
  • Options
    What a fantastic post! i joke with friends who are black + mixed race, however it really hit home the first part you put: 
    So when you consider telling a “joke”, can you actually relate to the person you are saying it about? If the answer is “no”, even if the “joke” is well intentioned, it’s probably best to leave it.

I am sorry to admit, this has always been my default with friends. More for comedy/joking around and nothing ever harmful, but what you put really makes me think about these things. Even if private with friends we know/we think we know wont take offence, however I cannot relate so why? 

Thank you for the food for thought, i also echo the previous comments you should post more, interesting read.
  • Options
    Thanks @Iceman , a thought-provoking post. 

I've struggled with the idea of "privilege" over the years, as I think it's a strategic error to think that not being killed by the police is a privilege rather than what should be expected. But the events of this year have really made me think about it again. It's not just the US either - a few weeks before Dominic Cummings famous eye test, a black guy was tazed in front of his daughter in Manchester for breaking lockdown rules. He was trying to do the best for his daughter but clearly different rules applied. 

I think a lot of people, particularly those of us who are white, will think that they haven't got many privileges in this world and that everything's against them. What I've come to understand is that the fact that there are some people of different races in better places than you are, doesn't mean the idea doesn't apply. You need to compare yourself to someone else like you -  so someone black with a similar level of education and brought up in a similar place: how many times do you get stopped by the police compared to the black person; what assumptions do the people you deal with everyday make about you? Things like that. 

Where things can get a little tricky is where public sector bodies have programmes specifically aimed at black and ethnic minorities. This is in theory laudable, but because there's no recognition of the class discrimination faced by people, it can look like the left-behind parts of the working classes get no help, unless they happen to be black. 

• Options
    stonemuse said:
    Thanks @Iceman thought provoking stuff for me personally as someone involved in the kebab episode you describe.

Please post more often on any topic.

Powerful stuff from @rikofold and @LennyLowrent.  Thanks for sharing. As the product of a "mixed" (sic) marriage I can empathise.

My dad often used an old anarchist phrase that now underpins my values.

"You fist's freedom ends where my nose begins"

To me that means you're free to do as you wish up to the point  where your actions impact on others.

Those actions might be a word, a look, a judgement, a recruitment decision, an actual fist or a "joke" but they do matter if they impact on others.

One last word on Muhammad Ali. He certainly espoused racist and anti-Semitic views in his youth but rejected them later in life.
    Such a disappointment that the person who provoked this thread has made dozens of posts over the weekend yet cannot bring himself to provide one word of apology. 

Tells its own story. 
    I don't know who that person is D, I guess I have not been following the post concerned, but I can only assume that along with that person some of the "usual" suspects have taken Iceman at his word and not opened the thread as they are not interested in educating themselves. It begs the question, is it possible to re-educate a racist? 

Great post BTW @Iceman.      .
  • Options
    Yes, great post Iceman.

I don’t know if you saw John Amaechi speaking about white privilege but that was also very compelling. 

• Options
    rananegra said:
    Thanks @Iceman , a thought-provoking post. 

I've struggled with the idea of "privilege" over the years, as I think it's a strategic error to think that not being killed by the police is a privilege rather than what should be expected. But the events of this year have really made me think about it again. It's not just the US either - a few weeks before Dominic Cummings famous eye test, a black guy was tazed in front of his daughter in Manchester for breaking lockdown rules. He was trying to do the best for his daughter but clearly different rules applied. 

I think a lot of people, particularly those of us who are white, will think that they haven't got many privileges in this world and that everything's against them. What I've come to understand is that the fact that there are some people of different races in better places than you are, doesn't mean the idea doesn't apply. You need to compare yourself to someone else like you -  so someone black with a similar level of education and brought up in a similar place: how many times do you get stopped by the police compared to the black person; what assumptions do the people you deal with everyday make about you? Things like that. 

Where things can get a little tricky is where public sector bodies have programmes specifically aimed at black and ethnic minorities. This is in theory laudable, but because there's no recognition of the class discrimination faced by people, it can look like the left-behind parts of the working classes get no help, unless they happen to be black. 

Good points. Interesting thoughts in the last paragraph, it is sad that these measures have to be taken at all, and I don't think it happens as much as the deliberately divisive tabloids would have us believe. But I think you are right. The irony being that many of those who feel left behind will vote for the people that thrive on keeping the working classes "in their place". 
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    stonemuse said:
    Thanks @Iceman thought provoking stuff for me personally as someone involved in the kebab episode you describe.

Please post more often on any topic.

Powerful stuff from @rikofold and @LennyLowrent.  Thanks for sharing. As the product of a "mixed" (sic) marriage I can empathise.

My dad often used an old anarchist phrase that now underpins my values.

"You fist's freedom ends where my nose begins"

To me that means you're free to do as you wish up to the point  where your actions impact on others.

Those actions might be a word, a look, a judgement, a recruitment decision, an actual fist or a "joke" but they do matter if they impact on others.

One last word on Muhammad Ali. He certainly espoused racist and anti-Semitic views in his youth but rejected them later in life.
    Such a disappointment that the person who provoked this thread has made dozens of posts over the weekend yet cannot bring himself to provide one word of apology. 

Tells its own story. 
    I don't know who that person is D, I guess I have not been following the post concerned, but I can only assume that along with that person some of the "usual" suspects have taken Iceman at his word and not opened the thread as they are not interested in educating themselves. It begs the question, is it possible to re-educate a racist? 

Great post BTW @Iceman.      
    A very thought provoking post @Iceman which you have articulated excellently. Like others I hope you post more frequently.

@Algarveaddick it is possible to read without commenting. Perhaps some don't want to potentially derail the thread and thus feel reluctant to question assertions made. Speaking as one old sparring partner to another over many years implying that other posters maybe racists, rather than inconsiderate or insensitive perhaps, is not a way to stimulate healthy debate. In my opinion of course which I assume we are still allowed?
    Perhaps I see it too simply Len? To me (my opinion - if I  am allowed?) you are either with Iceman, or against him. In my opinion if you are even questioning his thoughts and assertions, you have racist tendencies. Can you be "a little bit racist"? Or are you just "inconsiderate or insensitive"? I am not implying that some other posters are racist - I am stating that some other posters are racist. It would be incredible - impossible even - that on a forum as large and diverse as this one if there were not. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    DA9 said:
    I have a question....

What’s a D&I?

On a serious note, I’ve been guilty of all of the what I perceived as jokes and harmless in the past, even probably “micro aggression”, but you grow up and educate yourself, as I said to a close friend a few weeks ago when discussing BLM, “Do you believe you are policed differently on a match day just because you are a football fan?” He responded “definitely” 
    I let him think about his answer.

Diversity and Inclusion was my guess.

The "how football fans are treated" analogy is a very good one @DA9

Yet I've read on here people using that very argument "try being a football fan" to down play complaints from Black people about policing. 

As that bloke from Tupelo once sang "Walk a mile in my shoes
  • Options
    What a fantastic post! i joke with friends who are black + mixed race, however it really hit home the first part you put: 
    So when you consider telling a “joke”, can you actually relate to the person you are saying it about? If the answer is “no”, even if the “joke” is well intentioned, it’s probably best to leave it.

I am sorry to admit, this has always been my default with friends. More for comedy/joking around and nothing ever harmful, but what you put really makes me think about these things. Even if private with friends we know/we think we know wont take offence, however I cannot relate so why? 

Thank you for the food for thought, i also echo the previous comments you should post more, interesting read.
    So Iceman actually touches upon that in a follow-up: 

"I want to put people's minds at ease that micro-aggressions can be OK, as long as it is part of a "social contract" between the two people involved. Some of my friends will make jokes about me which would be considered a micro-aggression. That is fine in that scenario, as we have set boundaries between ourselves, know where the line is and I am fully aware of them and their intentions. You may have similar boundaries set with your friends and that is OK too."

I am of a similar mindset. One thing I would say, though, is that generally it's best if you leave it to me to "break the duck" when it comes to any micro-aggressions.

I'm generally quite comfortable with some chat, but one example stands out to me where I wasn't. It was actually in a pub before a Charlton game, where a mate introduced me to his clearly drunk - but ultimately quite nice - friend, who straight off the bat goes "fuck me, Mr Miyagi!". I gave him a pass because he'd clearly massively misjudged the situation while under the influence, and then did offer apologies. But other people I know would not have taken it as well as I did.

This is an incredibly complex issue and Iceman has provided a wonderful insight to which I haven't got much to add as it's so comprehensive.
  • Options
    @Iceman. I congratulate you on the courage you have shown to start this thread. Rascism is a huge subject and education is most certainly such an important part. I believe there will always be racist people because of our inability and lack of focus to really address the rascism issue with education. The more people who are educated in all aspects of rascism will result in less rascism. Rascism on earth will never be eradicated but education will certainly help to reduce this and that is the most powerful tool we have. It's all about getting to the hearts of people and the more hearts that are genuinely touched will result in a less rascist world.

• Options
    Today is the start of what has been called black history month.
    The criticism is that it is everybody's history and a distinction ought not to be made for black people.
    I think that is right to an extent, but without the previous non ideal efforts regarding black history month, and even that can be traced back to the effort to recognise Mary Seacole, where enlightened teachers wanted to reveal previously hidden black role models, then we may well be mired in the white history only culture that many of my generation were subjected to growing up.
    So even if there are flaws in the concept of black history month I believe it is still an idea with a role to play in UK society.
  • Options
    Re' Black History Month - I follow a few Facebook groups linked to the British Army and, speaking specifically about black and Asian people in our Armed Forces, they're regularly emphasising the role they've played, both now and throughout history (and rightly so imo). I personally find it more inclusive to see this, rather than having a token month dedicated to it. Theres a good clip of Morgan Freeman talking about Black History Month on YouTube, I'm pretty much on the same page as him 
  • Options
    Re' Black History Month - I follow a few Facebook groups linked to the British Army and, speaking specifically about black and Asian people in our Armed Forces, they're regularly emphasising the role they've played, both now and throughout history (and rightly so imo). I personally find it more inclusive to see this, rather than having a token month dedicated to it. Theres a good clip of Morgan Freeman talking about Black History Month on YouTube, I'm pretty much on the same page as him 
    https://youtu.be/GeixtYS-P3s
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

So Iceman actually touches upon that in a follow-up: 

"I want to put people's minds at ease that micro-aggressions can be OK, as long as it is part of a "social contract" between the two people involved. Some of my friends will make jokes about me which would be considered a micro-aggression. That is fine in that scenario, as we have set boundaries between ourselves, know where the line is and I am fully aware of them and their intentions. You may have similar boundaries set with your friends and that is OK too."

I am of a similar mindset. One thing I would say, though, is that generally it's best if you leave it to me to "break the duck" when it comes to any micro-aggressions.

I'm generally quite comfortable with some chat, but one example stands out to me where I wasn't. It was actually in a pub before a Charlton game, where a mate introduced me to his clearly drunk - but ultimately quite nice - friend, who straight off the bat goes "fuck me, Mr Miyagi!". I gave him a pass because he'd clearly massively misjudged the situation while under the influence, and then did offer apologies. But other people I know would not have taken it as well as I did.

This is an incredibly complex issue and Iceman has provided a wonderful insight to which I haven't got much to add as it's so comprehensive.
    Cheers Pads, makes perfect sense. I will have been guilty no doubt of introducing this form of bond. So a rain check really for me, ideally i will refrain totally unless instigated by the other person. 

Obviously you cant really change what has happened to date, but i did have a word with someone who i am very stereotypical with, but more for laughs and jokes factor, so i understand it even more so on top of what has been posted. 

TBF a bit of ignorance and just me not being as aware as i should be really, nothing sinister. 
  • Options
    Thanks for posting @SteveKielyCambridge ... important to read such well thought-out posts