Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

How much did your first (legal) pint cost?

Comments

• Options
    Jealous of these guys getting change from 20p when getting a round in.

£1.75, pint of Fosters, three pints knocked me bandy, shameful beer, but at 18 I lapped it up. 
  • Options
    Honestly can’t remember. The Royal Standard Westcombe Park was my local. Probably 40p. 
  • Options
    1968, 2/1d in the Guy, Earl of Warwick for a Light a Bitter.If you were a bit flush a JC and Bitter would cost 2/3d.
    About 11p in old money. God, I am getting on a bit!

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Anglesea Arms in Woolwich when I was 15. I think I paid about 1/- (that's a shilling) for a bottle of Mackeson.
  • Options
    Can’t remember how much but a legal one would have been in 79. However, I do remember one landmark. The day I ordered two pints and didn’t get change out of a pound, I felt robbed!
  • Options
    I first started going into pubs and managing to get served when I was 15. A light and Bitter was 16p. Used to go up to the Dover Patrol at lunchtime when I was still at school with a well known Charlton face from the 70’s and 80’s. One day they’d put the price up by 1p and we didn’t have enough to cover the increase ... sussed. The landlord let us off but told us not to come back for a couple of years. By the time it was legal to drink, a pint was 25p.
  • Options
    First ever would have been in The Oak and £1.05 or £1.15 rings a bell.

I know around the same time it was £2 a pint in Stars of Greenwich, coz I'd save a fiver and that would pay for 2 beers and chips in pitta on walk home
  • Options
    Morrell's was about 1s 10d (10p) in 1964.  And about that time my Dad used to fill his car with 4 gallons of petrol and 4 shots and get change from £1.
  • Options
    £1.49 ( carlsberg ) bexleyheath broadway the spoons 2008
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    About 40p a pint of Courage Best in Olde Black Horse in Sidcup 1979
  • Options
    Cannot remember exactly.  But (and don't laugh) when I started work at The Bank of England in 1970, a pint of lager in the Bank's bar was 1s 10d. A vodka and tonic was 2s 4d.  2s for the vodka and 4d for the mixer.  But I was only earning £16 a week.  Post decimalisation on 15th February 1971, it became 10p for the pint, 10p for the vodka and 2p for the mixer.

Oh the joys of everyone thinking it was entirely normal for your employer to subsidise you getting hammered at lunchtime.
  • Options
    I can't remember the price.......but the first legal pint purchase would have been in the Way Tyler on the Ferrier Estate in 1988.

Can anyone beat that in terms of biggest shit-hole where first legal pint was purchased?
    I don't think that can be beaten.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    15p

lunchtime in the old Green Man In QVS...perhaps not the first legal pint, beer edging closer to 18-20p by the time I was 18, though I seem to recall it was an extra 1p if you drunk in the saloon bar and not the public,  loads of inflation, I think I had 3 pay rises that year because of it.
  • Options
    Sevensix said:
    Morrell's was about 1s 10d (10p) in 1964.  And about that time my Dad used to fill his car with 4 gallons of petrol and 4 shots and get change from £1.
    Tequila or Jagermeister?
  • Options
    Not certain - but I definitely remember my student union (2003-2006) would do pints for £2.50 or a four pint pitcher for £6.

Average price of a pint in most pubs near my house is now about £6 (actually, one pub starts at £6.20 I noticed the other day). 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    First pint I bought was in the Union Tavern, Woolwich, in 1973 when I was 16 - light and bitter - 15p or thereabouts. The Union was my local (Woolwich Poly!).
    My first legal pint in 1975 (again light and bitter) was around 20p - Rose of Denmark!
    If i remember rightly quite a few of the teachers use to go in their. My first pint Royal Oak, 1972, about 25p (5s) in real money. First legal Royal Standard Blackheath.
  • Options
    I think the first one cost me about £3.60 but the 6th ended up costing me my dignity. 
  • Options
    Legal £2.02 for a pint of Fosters or £2.20 for Guinness in my local the regulars would all have 2 pound coins and 2 pence pieces lined up for their nights consumption 

There is a very shitty but thriving pub in Chatham that for years did John Smiths for 99p and always has something very cheap in there. The White Lion. 

• Options
    edited September 2020
    If anyone had the pleasure of Southampton Uni, then Monday night in Clowns and Jesters was an initiation into legal drinking. in 1993 it was 50p a pint on Mondays. I understand it is still 50p a pint on Mondays, albeit now with a £5 entry..
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    First pint I bought was in the Union Tavern, Woolwich, in 1973 when I was 16 - light and bitter - 15p or thereabouts. The Union was my local (Woolwich Poly!).
    My first legal pint in 1975 (again light and bitter) was around 20p - Rose of Denmark!
    If i remember rightly quite a few of the teachers use to go in their. My first pint Royal Oak, 1972, about 25p (5s) in real money. First legal Royal Standard Blackheath.

They did. In fact after the prize giving night for my 'O' level year after I had gone into the lower 6th - around November 1973 - the then deputy Head who later became the Head, Cecil Roberts, took pretty much the whole of the sixth form to The Union and paid for our drinks!
  • Options
    in about 1964/65 ? .. so far back I need a historian to check the 1960s cost of living index
  • Options
    My favourite hunting ground was a place in Gillingham that was originally the central then became the Avenue before finally becoming Bar Rio 

They had a very lax attitude towards binge drinking, in fact in the early 2000s it was positively encouraged.

On a Sunday it was 50p any drink from 6 until 7, then rising to a pound before 9pm came and saw the prices go to £1.50 

By then, every single flat surface in the place would be covered in pints going slowly flat and waiting for someone so skint they couldn't stretch to 1.50 for a beer to minesweep them 
  • Options
    1977 36p a pint toss up The Walnut or back bar The coach Dartford 
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    I first started going into pubs and managing to get served when I was 15. A light and Bitter was 16p. Used to go up to the Dover Patrol at lunchtime when I was still at school with a well known Charlton face from the 70’s and 80’s. One day they’d put the price up by 1p and we didn’t have enough to cover the increase ... sussed. The landlord let us off but told us not to come back for a couple of years. By the time it was legal to drink, a pint was 25p.
    The Dover Patrol. that's a blast from the past!
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Fosters £2.50 as you said legal.

Under age £2.25 Carling. 
  • Options
    This is just another way of admin extracting personal data like our age, you all realise
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    So from 1973 to 1983 the price of a pint went from 14 pence to a pound!

I don't know how any of you remember. One pint back then would have led to short term memory loss. I used to get a high from blackcurrant juice.
  • Options
    In 1972 aged 15 I was paying 15p for a Light & Bitter
  • Options
    In 1972 aged 15 I was paying 15p for a Light & Bitter
    Those were the days, when the youth club threw us out at the end of the evening we’d move on to the Rose of Denmark and carry on the evening there