Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

How much did your first (legal) pint cost?

Comments

• Options
    1s/8d  (about 8p in todays money)  in 1967
    Old money seems absolutely crazy. 
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    A pint of bitter (!) and a bottle of light, about 40p in The Pheasant, North Heath
  • Options
    @stockportaddick it was. I lived 200 metres away until 1980. When we hosted parties we would order a firkin of Boddingtons, delivered on a Thursday by the brewery, who aerated It with a slow bleeder and then came back on the Saturday morning with a dispensing tap. Moving up from London I couldn’t believe how cheap everything was. 
    Boddies, 'by eck, that were good' as Melanie Sykes said in the advert! My old man moved us north in Jan 77 to Bramhall and the guvnor of our local boozer took over at the Riflemans in the late 80's. Used to pop in there every so often to say hello. 
  • Options
    Scrumpy in The Bull Woolwich circa 1956
    10 d a pint. That's old money. 2 pts were enough. 
  • Options
    £5.20!
  • Options
    Shrew said:
    A pint of butter and a bottle of light, about 40p in The Pheasant, North Heath
    sounds horrible
  • Options
    Was in 82 or early 83 in the foresters(upper Wickham  lane)or in the fanny(fanny on the hill) probably about 80p I think 
    Soon moved onto the jolly drayman and more 'lively'pubs of the area where prices soon went over the pound
    Lovely times back then
  • Options
    I can imagine it was about £1.90. I think in the Courthouse in Dartford
  • Options
    I cannot remember how much my first pint cost.

Not being the tallest of guys, when I started drinking around '85 I was always expecting to get asked for ID.  The only time this happened was in The Swan and Sugarloaf in South Croydon.  We walked in and was asked for ID, this we did not have.  The barman apologised and said there had been a punch up the previous week and were vetting people coming in.

I always thought the palice pricks could not hold their drink.
    Knowing you as I do I should imagine nothing.
  • Options
    Mine was £1. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Been trying to remember how much my first match at the valley cost. No idea. Can’t remember the price of my first season ticket, 1974/75, either. I am certain that football was more affordable then.
  • Options
    About 1s/10d in 1970 in The Beehive, New Eltham, also in the Royal Eltham and Crossways at the top of Green Lane. Used to buy a light and bitter as you used to get more than a pint!! Ah those were the days, however @TCE I heard used to pay a Groat for a flaggon of Scrumpy!! Circa 1895!!! Lol
  • Options
    First legal pint would’ve cost about £1.15 round my way in 1990 but the first pint I ever bought in a pub (Roman Baths, York) was probably 80ish-p in 1986. I was thirteen. My sister can beat me though, she actually got nicked for underage drinking at the age of 12. She’s a copper now.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    I remember paying 78p for a light & bitter at Longleys social club, here in Crawley. Nearly a pint and a half too! (Mid 80s)
  • Options
    Anybody remember Welcome Inn Sunday night disco.  £1 to get in 20p for a light and bitter. Same people run the Tuesday night at the Dutch House. Same £1 and 2Op a pint. 
  • Options
    Acab said:
    Anybody remember Welcome Inn Sunday night disco.  £1 to get in 20p for a light and bitter. Same people run the Tuesday night at the Dutch House. Same £1 and 2Op a pint. 
    Remember it well. 1975/76?
  • Options
    Been trying to remember how much my first match at the valley cost. No idea. Can’t remember the price of my first season ticket, 1974/75, either. I am certain that football was more affordable then.
    I can remember either going under the turnstile or paying a tanner when I first went to league football.
  • Options
    Light and bitter 2s 6d. 1970/1971 at The Welcome Inn, Eltham. Moved on to barley wine and bitter in the following years.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    I bought my first pints when I was 15 ( I probably looked 13 or 14 ) for 13 “new pence” in a pub called The Nags Head in Abercych in Wales in 1971.
    In 1975 I started work in the Royal Charlotte in Crayford when a rather nasty pint of Courage Best was 17p.
  • Options
    1s/9d  -  Mild and Bitter mix  -  aged 15 (1968)  -  Station Hotel Sidcup (they'd serve anyone in those days!)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Couldn't remember but checking online it would have been around £0.14 in 1973. Blooming heck, a round of 6 pints and you would still get change back from £1.
    I clearly recall putting a quid in a whip, having 4 pints on a Friday lunchtime (amazing, I’d be a stretcher case these days) and knowing there was a fair bit left for next time. I have a very vague recollection of a pint being about 22p in 1974. 
  • Options
    Acab said:
    I remember it very well, spent a lot of happy Sunday nights in the Welcome Inn Disco. 
  • Options
    Acab said:
    Remember it well. 1975/76?

Yep, me too. Gerry of Sound City (Gerry McCarthy) used to do the disco.
  • Options
    Mild and bitter 11d at the Falcon in 1972. 

For the youngsters there was 12d to a shilling, which is 5p. Beer prices have gone down since then compared to average wages!
  • Options
    Around £1 in the Railway Tavern in Longfield, Kent 1988 - lager - probably Fosters, but can’t recall
  • Options
    Around £1 in the Railway Tavern in Longfield, Kent 1988 - lager - probably Fosters, but can’t recall
    Was the landlord still the big bloke with a beard?
  • Options
    1s2d in the  NAFFI Club Portsmouth (1953) probably a bitter.  I remember I was trying to chat up a little wren, didn't get anywere.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Was the landlord still the big bloke with a beard?
    No - it was a tall bloke with dark black hair - very old school - didn’t like young people being in there - it became my local, as my Sunday league football team based ourselves there

Later the landlords were Brenda and Alf - he was very fat, and stunned me years later when he told me he was ex Royal Marine and had served in places like Aden and Northern Ireland  - he didn’t find it very amusing when I commented that he had let himself go a bit 😂
  • Options
    10d (old money) in one of the many pubs off Fleet street in 1962.
    Double Diamond & Light or Brown & mild!