Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

How much did your first (legal) pint cost?

Comments

• 1981 60p in the Lord Northbrook, Lee.  Which was really a quid as the change always went on asteroids.
  • 1981 60p in the Lord Northbrook, Lee.  Which was really a quid as the change always went on asteroids.
    That’s another reason why you should stand when drinking, sitting on those cold steps causes the old farmers....
  • 25p circa 1976. Amazing how you can tell the age of Charlton Lifers from what they paid from their first pint!
  • Pretty sure I used to pay 60p for a pint of Harp in the Fox & Hounds in Chislehurst in 1981. I was 16 and it was the only pub that would serve us then.
  • I moved up to Manchester In 1971 just after decimalisation. A pint of Boddingtons Mild in the Riflemans Arms tap room (men only) was 10.5p, Bitter 11.5p. The lounge was an extra 1.5p. My first legal pint was in the Woodman, Otford circa 1966 and I’m pretty sure a pint of Bitter was around 10 old pence. 

• Honestly can’t remember.
    would’ve been 1988 and been either a carlsberg hof or Holstein export in the borough club or a lowenbrau or if they still did it then, a long life in the Yorkshire grey.
  • Difficult one to answer as a lot of my drinking was done after playing sport in club bars which were (maybe still are) cheaper.

12p a pint comes to mind but whether that was club or pub no idea.

• KettsJohn said:
    Pretty sure I used to pay 60p for a pint of Harp in the Fox & Hounds in Chislehurst in 1981. I was 16 and it was the only pub that would serve us then.
    The Fox and Hounds Chislehurst used to run a Sunday rugby side I occasionally played for.

Most of us were ringers.
  • Approx 1972.  The Dolphin in Sydenham (became my regular for many years).  I seem to remember 19p for a Light and mild...week as water.
  • Sponsored links:

• About 20p in either the Dover Patrol or Rochester Way Social club, not sure which was first.
  • About 20p in either the Dover Patrol or Rochester Way Social club, not sure which was first.

When I first drank in the Dover Patrol, it was 10d for a bottle of light ale in the public, and a shilling in the saloon. Chas was the landlord then.
  • 1s/8d  (about 8p in todays money)  in 1967

When I first drank in the Dover Patrol, it was 10d for a bottle of light ale in the public, and a shilling in the saloon. Chas was the landlord then.
    Can't remember the landlords name but the name Chas rings a bell especially at closing time.
  • 1975, and it would have been about 31p for a pint of lager. I know the prices because I was working as an underage bartender. The price of Harp lager is permanently etch in my brain, as is 25p for Courage Best. 

Can't remember the landlords name but the name Chas rings a bell especially at closing time.

Charley Lanning, if I remember correctly. Wife had a purple rinse.
  • I think it was £1.05p in 1985 although the ciu clubs were probably about 80p then.
  • I moved up to Manchester In 1971 just after decimalisation. A pint of Boddingtons Mild in the Riflemans Arms tap room (men only) was 10.5p, Bitter 11.5p. The lounge was an extra 1.5p. My first legal pint was in the Woodman, Otford circa 1966 and I’m pretty sure a pint of Bitter was around 10 old pence. 

The riflemans wasn't in Wilmslow by any chance @ExiledinManchester ?
  • First legal and illegal pint when at Shooters Hill school from the Eagle at the top of Red Lion Lane used to serve a pint for just over a shilling I think.
  • edited September 2020
    Wasn't legal but remember the first pint I bought was in the Blue Anchor, a light and bitter 27p, probably 1975
  • Sponsored links:

• About 20p I think.
  • I seem to remember my first pint costing about 85p, would have been 1981, Ye Olde Black Horse Sidcup. 

My first legal pint was probably about 90p or 95p. 
  • LenGlover said:

KettsJohn said:
    Pretty sure I used to pay 60p for a pint of Harp in the Fox & Hounds in Chislehurst in 1981. I was 16 and it was the only pub that would serve us then.
    The Fox and Hounds Chislehurst used to run a Sunday rugby side I occasionally played for.

Most of us were ringers.
    Used to drink in the front bar before it became a beefeater or one of them type chains. Sure the guvoner was called Peter. 
  • @stockportaddick it was. I lived 200 metres away until 1980. When we hosted parties we would order a firkin of Boddingtons, delivered on a Thursday by the brewery, who aerated It with a slow bleeder and then came back on the Saturday morning with a dispensing tap. Moving up from London I couldn’t believe how cheap everything was. 
  • 18p Scrumpy Rough, Rick Hotel, Weymouth 

I was under age 13? But drunk so long under age couldn’t say when it changed and as an anarchist (at the time) I rejected all laws that i didn’t agree with.
  • Regular haunts, in order of haunting them 1972-1980,
    The Valley (Pub)
    Lord Raglan, Plumstead, (Nearest my home)
    Barge Pole Thamesmead, Worked in Nathan Way. got mates with a few travellers.
    Gordon Arms Chislehurst Played in the Football team.

Now only drink tea!
  • First drink I bought at a bar was probably at the banger racing in Crayford, for some reason we used to buy bottles of light ale, someone obviously thought it was lower profile than a pint (!). That would be 1975-76, 18p rings a bell. When I started going in pubs a bit later it was about 30-35p a pint.
  • I remember going out in Bromley (It was lively once) when I was about 17, so 2004.  Would take a score out and have enough for a kebab and a 162 bus back to BR7.  I think it was about £2 for a lager, 3 for a fiver for shots.
  • About 1991, sneaking in a year or so too early and a pint was £1.60 from memory.
  • £2.50 Rochester Whetherspoons 2013