Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Sunderland | Saturday 3rd October | Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    We are toothless. 
    Amos and Pratley keeping us in it. 
    If we go behind, might as well switch it off. 
  • Options
    I thought midfield would be our strongest part but we're overrun there.
  • Options
    Terrible. Don’t even look like having a shot on target. If there was a crowd they would have been booed of for that showing.
  • Options
    So far this season it almost feels as though we're trying to find a formation that suits Doughty rather than the whole team
  • Options
    Just don’t understand how Otzumer is seen to be doing enough to get starts but Williams isn’t. Bloke’s had one good half in a Charlton shirt a year ago. Done absolutely chuff all since. 
    Totally agree and I really wanted to see Oz play more. He's been busy but he is so poor. He panics in the final third and his decision making is awful. 
  • Options
    We look a very very poor side even at this level 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    LB usually starts the game with the wrong formation and is forced to change it. This time he's started with the right formation, and changed it to the wrong one.
    Bad manager then...?
  • Options
    Made it to half time phew

Missing Gilbey in this game, our current strategy of punting high balls up towards a lone striker isn't working
  • Options
    Does make we wonder if, even assuming we make some signings we will have enough squad depth for a promotion challenge....it's certainly a big ask and we might need to be very patient.
  • Options
    That wasn't very good. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That was pretty pony. The only positive is that we aren't losing.

Midfield is lightweight and we've offered nothing up front. Oztumer really disappointing for me. Not really sure what he brings to the team. It's certainly not height!
  • Options
    Glad our bench is strong because we need them to change the game. I would kill to come away with a point 
  • Options
    Until the formation change I actually thought we looked okay. I liked Purrington picking the ball up in the CB position, and our movement in midfield was decent and we at least looked like we were competing without making any chances.

Looked absolutely woeful since Bowyer changed it to a 4-4-2. Very lucky to go in 0-0.
  • Options
    struggling, haven't held the ball, too much coming back off Oztumer. Doughty not in the game. 
  • Options
    Need Aneke on as soon as possible. Not a single ball forward has been held up. Otzumer giving it away every time he gets it. 3-5-2 was at least somewhat solid and we were dominating possession. Shape change has opened us defensively with no discernible benefit in attack. 
  • Options
    It’s not good viewing. 
  • Options
    Ref is our best player so far. 

Credit to Amos, great save 
  • Options
    Thank fuck for the week off, we need a few more in and then to figure out our best 11 pretty sharpish.
  • Options
    Bowyer giving them a blasting at the moment hopefully,
    def time for the Maddison show second half
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Does make we wonder if, even assuming we make some signings we will have enough squad depth for a promotion challenge....it's certainly a big ask and we might need to be very patient.
    Assuming that Sunderland are up there too though I've not been impressed with them either

They're certainly not the same team that came to the Valley last year and absolutely destroyed us in the first half that game
  • Options
    Really poor. You have to begin to wonder about Bowyer's tactics. Does he encourage the endless passing back and then hoof balls forward?
  • Options
    according to their fans that was the best half of football they've played so far this season. 
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Sadly just as I expected, except Sunderland should already be out of sight. There is so little real quality in this team. Clear that Maddison is exactly the kind of penetrating midfielder we are lacking, fingers crossed. We also need a proper winger, 2 central defenders and 2 good strikers, tall order in 2 weeks. At least Amos looked decent today or we would need a goalie as well.
  • Options
    Not at all impressed with that half.

And don't understand why LB changed the formation half way through it. We have gone from looking comfortable at the back to completely open.

Hope the Amos knockers will now realise he is a good keeper who will not let us down this season.

Personally, I'd bring Aneke on now even if he can only play 30 mins. Desperately need support up front for Washington.
  • Options
    I don’t understand what our game plan is. We must work on phases of play etc during the week, so our instructions can’t be ‘boot it’.

Dreadful. 
  • Options
    Started brightly, some good passing moves.....then absolute tosh!!
  • Options
    Glad we got in at 0-0 but I don’t expect Sunderland to continue to waste good opportunities.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Piss poor. Passing far too inaccurate. Lucky not to be 2 or 3 down. Surely we should be doing better than this, even allowing for the clear need to bring in better quality.
  • Options
    Hope Bowyer makes changes now. Waiting for 15 or 25 minutes would be a disaster. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!