Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Project "Big Picture" - "Big" Clubs Plan Overhaul of English Football

Comments

• Options
    Re B teams.

If the Premier League clubs are so keen for a league for their reserves to play in why don't they help fund a proper competition for the twos?

Instead of them loaning out umpteen players each year to get experience they can play for their own clubs in a proper comp and players that are out of form or returning from injury can play senior footy instead of with the kids. The reserves can then be a stepping stone for junior players looking to move up to the ones.

I appreciate that many clubs further down the pyramid may not be able to afford to run a full reserves side but there should be enough interest for a couple of divisions at least.

Unless of course the Premier League's interest in B teams is just to hoover up a bigger share of the money pot, effectively stealing back some of the pennies they've given to the Football League ...
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    No you fool it's one of the Greek islands.
    I've spent many an afternoon on dildos, cue Kenneth Willaims!!!!
  • Options
    edited October 2020
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Why on earth aren't EFL clubs calling on Parry to resign? Or calling for a Special General Meeting at which they can vote him out?

Surely, despite the bribe on offer, there aren't any EFL clubs in favour of this? Or are there some small ones like, for example, Barrow who, realising it is unlikely they will ever make the Championship let alone the Premier League, and sensing a pay day that can keep them alive and are actually in favour of this nonsense? 
  • Options
    The proposals themselves constitute an investigation by the Office for Fair Trading into the industry.

As structured empowering a clique of businesses is a recipe for anti competive trading in breach of Anti Trust Laws. There is a reason the NFL has special exemption from Anti Trust legislation in the USA.

The proposals need immediate referral to the OFT.

It does really matter whether anybody agrees to "the bribe" if it is illegal. It is illegal. Empowering 6 companies to control the structure and operation of its industry is by definition illegal.

For any organisation to even submit such proposals at a time of global crisis speaks to the integrity of the organisations. There is none. It is blatant opportunism and greed.

Mr Parry should resign immediately. Whatever his intent he had a duty of care in representing the interests of the EFL to ALL stakeholders in the game not a select few.

He has compromised his position to speak on behalf of the EFL.

This, ladies and gentlemen, is @Grapevine49's equivalent of a short-and-snappy tweet ;)

Still hits the mark though, as usual.
  • Options
    The proposals themselves constitute an investigation by the Office for Fair Trading into the industry.

As structured empowering a clique of businesses is a recipe for anti competive trading in breach of Anti Trust Laws. There is a reason the NFL has special exemption from Anti Trust legislation in the USA.

The proposals need immediate referral to the OFT.

It does really matter whether anybody agrees to "the bribe" if it is illegal. It is illegal. Empowering 6 companies to control the structure and operation of its industry is by definition illegal.

For any organisation to even submit such proposals at a time of global crisis speaks to the integrity of the organisations. There is none. It is blatant opportunism and greed.

Mr Parry should resign immediately. Whatever his intent he had a duty of care in representing the interests of the EFL to ALL stakeholders in the game not a select few.

He has compromised his position to speak on behalf of the EFL.

Thank goodness this is short for GV49, so I don't feel guilty quoting it! Indeed, Parry should resign. I imagine quite a few emails are heading to the EFL today, saying the same thing!
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Football needs to take a step back - because prem clubs now have such a disproportionate amount of money they are now stockpiling young talent but don't have anywhere for them to play proper mens football, they want to create B teams to play in the lower divisions. The real solution is to apportion the money more fairly, re create the reserves leagues and do away with these ridiculous cups where u23 teams play against first teams. I will never go to a match like the one the other day where our first team is playing a brighton u23 side - ridiculous. I'll probably go to very few cup games now anyway until the whole attitude towards them changes - not interested in watching reserve football which is all it is now. Give the fa cup winner a champions league spot or restart the european cup winners cup or shut the whole thingh down. Sooner go and watch a park game than watch a match where both clubs are not putting their strongest sides out - its an insult to the fans.   
    Great post.
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54505270 at least West Ham are against it, and they are 1 of the 9
    They realise that if it gets to 9 clubs in control, the "big 6". will jettison the other 3 as quickly as they can.
    Wet Sham also know that they are not safe in the top flight; they are not a perennial top-half team.

With the proposal to decrease the league to 18 teams that would put extra pressure on the Hamsters if/when they went down; only two automatic promotion spots and three play-off places available could mean an extended stay in Division Two. If it took them too long to get back up the door may be shut permanently when the Premier League will attempt to stop relegation altogether ... which would be terrible for them - how would they be able to maintain their super-duper stadium? Maybe they'd have to move out and ground-share with Orient in order to make ends meet.
  • Options
    Why on earth aren't EFL clubs calling on Parry to resign? Or calling for a Special General Meeting at which they can vote him out?

Surely, despite the bribe on offer, there aren't any EFL clubs in favour of this? Or are there some small ones like, for example, Barrow who, realising it is unlikely they will ever make the Championship let alone the Premier League, and sensing a pay day that can keep them alive and are actually in favour of this nonsense? 
    If anything it's the non Big 6 sides PL who will be most against this proposal, followed by the ambitious Championship ones. For the smaller L2 sides, they probably aren't so bothered, the PL is light years apart from them already
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I listened to Radio five yesterday and there seemed to be a unanimous verdict against this move, however I would beg to differ (maybe I’m just a contrarian).

i remember a time before a premier league, before it was a product to be sold and sky, bt, virgin or whoever marketed it to the extreme. There was uproar when the split occurred as it concentrated the power in those 20 clubs. so why do the latest developments have the media and players in a similar spin? It’s just a further narrowing down from 20 to 6 of power, money and influence.

Surely this is the end game of the premier leagues capitalist values? Why would we be tut tutting in annoyance? To coin a phrase ´the game has gone a long time ago’ 

When you listen, watch, or read any media outlet today you would genuinely think that the game did not exist prior 1991. This is the next step and let’s keep our fingers crossed, Charlton and the EFL will be ok through the transition.

So let’s crack on, get a European super league up and running and continue to wave our fist at the passing clouds.

• Options
    I was dubious until i saw the line at the bottom.

Crystal Palace to be demoted to Division 2 for being cnuts.
  • Options
    These plans sound absolutely mental. 
  • Options
    Could this be a reason why West Ham are against it, as they have a stadium of their own?
  • Options
    Jesus wept. The more I read, the more I think just fuck this, I can't be bothered with professional football anymore! The greed is just unbelievable. The top 6 stopping takeovers to protect their positions, the fake bail out of lower league clubs, b-teams and fuck8ng subsidising Spurs' stadium!!!! Absolute bollocks, and as for Parry and his secret meetings with Liverpool and Utd! Good on the Telegraph for exposing this, shame on the guardian for supporting it! COYA
  • Options
    Don't think the Guardian is supporting it.

One writer, David Conn, expressed support for parts of the plan but not all of it.
  • Options
    Don't think the Guardian is supporting it.

One writer, David Conn, expressed support for parts of the plan but not all of it.
    Yeah, the increased revenue each season, although this is really made up from the reduced number of teams and the abolition of parachute payments. The Guardian has no interest in lower league football, you can tell that by their coverage. They have previously run editorial supporting b-teams in the pyramid too, so I wouldn't expect any different. Your summary earlier in the thread was spot on btw. 
  • Options
    G-R-E-E-D.
    End of.