Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Andrew Shinnie - (Ed. joined Livingston)

Comments

• Options
    We’ve certainly had a lot worse than Shinnie. Good luck to him but I guess Adkins needs spaces for his preferred targets.
  • Options
    My guess - expect to see a lot of these release messages.  Have a feeling Nigel wants to completely remake the team.   So it might be goodbye for Chuks, Matthews, Pearce, Oshilaja, Purrington as well as some of the u23s who haven’t broken through into the main squad.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    It was a choice between Gilbey and Shinnie for one role in the team. Gilbs grabbed it with work rate, goals and assists. 
    Both scored three goals, Shinnie got six assists, Gilbey got two
  • Options
    Not Adkins player & so he's out with the trash.

Just hoping they have better players lined up & we arent searching round the back of Aldi's come Sept. 
  • Options
    mistake to let him go IMO - he'll do very well in our league next season I suspect for one of our rivals.

I do hope we've got some decent signings lined up
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    It was a choice between Gilbey and Shinnie for one role in the team. Gilbs grabbed it with work rate, goals and assists. 
    Shinnie P29, GS3, A6
    Gilbey P23, GS3, A2
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    I didn't mind AS , and thank him for his contribution, and wish him all the best, maybe Nige wants to sign younger players, can't remember how old he is, but won't have a lot of resale value?
  • Options
    I think this is the right decision. If we're making comparisons to Gilbey - he's got two more years on his deal, and if I remember correctly, Luton had to pay the bulk of Shinnie's wages to get him to come to us etc. I think he'd have been too expensive to retain.

Great though he was before his injury in particular, I think his legs were showing slight signs of fading (though I'd never argue he was blessed with or reliant on pace or standout physical attributes). I also don't think he'd fit the style of football Adkins intends.

I see this as a potential win-win - good for us; good for Shinnie; good for his next club. That's all good, if we make the right move in the transfer market and don't try and compare any replacement directly with Shinnie - as I get the feeling we aren't going to have someone who is as much of a playmaker. Rather, we'll have a slightly more dynamic midfield four that all "chip in", creating a whole greater than the sum of its constituent parts.

Good luck Andrew!
  • Options
    Correct decision and goes with my best wishes.
    Agree.  We didn’t get promoted this season for the overall reason the squad wasn’t good enough.  We were close, you can argue that had Bowyer gone sooner we may have been in the play offs, but you can also argue it was a poor division that kept us that close and hid the fact a lot of the players weren’t up to scratch.
  • Options
    Not Adkins player & so he's out with the trash.

Just hoping they have better players lined up & we arent searching round the back of Aldi's Makro's come Sept. 
    Fixed for you.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Prats, Shins. Who’s next? 
  • Options
    Proper Charlton.
  • Options
    Uboat said:
    Deji?
  • Options
    A cultured player, but you have to play a certain way to get the best out of someone like him. If that's not the way Adkins wants to play then makes sense for ways to part. Best wishes Shins. Someone wil be picking up a tidy player for no fee this summer.
  • Options
    Did his bit, best of luck.  
  • Options
    I don't think he's a massive loss to the squad but like Pratley he seems a good guy and solid professional who didn't do anything to dislike.

His problem is he's a great player in a dominant team or a team that have 60% possession, but he's a passenger in a team that doesn't as he can't physically compete and get round the pitch and isn't defensively inclined. 

He'll get another club and if it's the right one he'll do well (he was a key player for Luton) All the best Andrew, well played.
  • Options
    If you do some digging on this forum from a decade ago there's plenty of comments bemoaning Semedo and Racon leaving us (seriously). The next season turned out alright.

Fingers crossed history is repeating itself.
  • Options
    Adkins said he wants a younger fitter squad.
    So no suprise at the two who have been released today.
    Wish them both well but now it's onwards and upwards. 
  • Options
    WSS said:
    If you do some digging on this forum from a decade ago there's plenty of comments bemoaning Semedo and Racon leaving us (seriously). The next season turned out alright.

Fingers crossed history is repeating itself.
    Especially Semedo. 
  • Options
    Andrew Shinnie goes with my blessing. Lovely to watch on the ball. His age and lack of place has counted against him, and Adkins clearly didn't fancy him with lack of game time over the last 10 games. I just hope that he is replaced with a flair player, who can unlock defensive Div 1 teams.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Shinnie is a good player. I'm taking his release as a sign that we're in the market for a substantial upgrade in quality.
  • Options
    Think this is probably a pragmatic decision as much as anything. It would be nice to have him as an option or cover but he came specifically because he wasn't getting played at Luton so he definitely wants somewhere he's getting more game time and for whatever reason Charlton aren't it.

He'll definitely still be a decent player in the right team but sometimes it's just a case of good player at the wrong time.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Classy player at this level, but a lack of physicality makes him a luxury at this level (in my opinion).

Enjoyed watching him play. Had the physique and general vibe of young, charismatic humanities PhD student.
  • Options
    Uboat said:
    Bit of a shame finding out like this...would have preferred the club to have asked them not to put anything on social media until the official list published tomorrow....
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    mendonca said:
    Shinnie P29, GS3, A6
    Gilbey P23, GS3, A2
    ...jees they both played a lot of games since NA came in! We might sneak 6th position still!
  • Options
    Uboat said:
    If it was down to me
    Watson and Gunter. 
    I know they are under contract but they ain't good enough. 
    Pay them of Tommy boy and bring in better. 
  • Options
    Mistake to let him go.
    I feel it's a bit of a mistake too ...... but age is against him, if Akins is looking to attract younger players.

• Options
    Making room for Messi?
  • Options
    Personally, I would have kept him on. Adkins seems to have a blind spot in relation to him.