Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Wigan Athletic | Post Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Redrobo said:
    PWR - a few pluses. Thought Femwo and Inniss looked solid and Gunter grew into the game. Shinnie did enough to think he could be decent in this league. Thought Smyth had a decent game and Aneke did very well before tiring. Bogle when he came on showed glimpses and considering he’s had no real pre season could be an asset when up to speed. I’m assuming our top scorer Washington was on the bench due to his international exploits. What the feck was midfield about? Those three certainly don’t work together. Can’t play with Pratley and Watson in the same team in my opinion. JFC improved after his goal but was a bit meh for me. Midfield lacked any sort of creativity and dynamism.

Saying that a win is a win and we just about shaded it. Onwards and upwards hopefully.
    I didn’t think that Chucks Looked tired at all when he was taken off.
    He’s made of glass.  Can’t be risked for more than an hour, I imagine 
  • Options
    We have a game on Tuesday, so he was probally taken off so he can start on Tuesday also expect Williams to start as well. 
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Redrobo said:
    PWR - a few pluses. Thought Femwo and Inniss looked solid and Gunter grew into the game. Shinnie did enough to think he could be decent in this league. Thought Smyth had a decent game and Aneke did very well before tiring. Bogle when he came on showed glimpses and considering he’s had no real pre season could be an asset when up to speed. I’m assuming our top scorer Washington was on the bench due to his international exploits. What the feck was midfield about? Those three certainly don’t work together. Can’t play with Pratley and Watson in the same team in my opinion. JFC improved after his goal but was a bit meh for me. Midfield lacked any sort of creativity and dynamism.

Saying that a win is a win and we just about shaded it. Onwards and upwards hopefully.
    I didn’t think that Chucks Looked tired at all when he was taken off.
    He’s made of glass.  Can’t be risked for more than an hour, I imagine 

Classic case of Charltonitis. Was fine to play the two seasons before he came to us!
  • Options
    Three points.
    Love it.
    Watson and Pratley in the same team love it less.
    Pratley is the skipper at the moment, has seniority in my view.

What was that thing when the ref made those two parallel lines a couple of yards apart, after an injury I believe?
  • Options
    Anyone still think Aneke cannot play up top on his own?
    Has anyone said he can’t? I think he can but I don’t think he’ll score many goals.
    Yes quite a few, although in fairness doubt he’ll be up top on his own, not often anyway. I agree, I don’t think he’s capable of being prolific, think he’ll work well with Washington though. 
  • Options
    Watson and Pratley in the same line up reminds of the Russell Slade days, neither should be in the same line up ever! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Carter said:
    Wigan were good value, I've seen them play this season and got what I'd expected. Without patronising them they are a good side and doing remarkably well despite their situation off the field 

Garner is a nasty piece of work and as a self confessed vicious, vengeful footballer myself I saw exactly what he was up to with the Doughty head injury and that was cheap. I'm glad he didn't score or give us further reason to make him a hate figure. Which is a shame because he is a good player

We again got a shit, inconsistent referee. I feel vindicated when I moan about the referee when we win but he was a disaster on another day he costs us.

Aneke was fantastic and put in the performance I knew he had in him. Forster Caskey had the best game I remember seeing him involved with, deserved his goal for not giving up on the free kicks 

Should go without saying there is a lot of gelling needs to happen but I'll say it anyway. The players who came on seemed very keen and now we have a squad and actual competition for places rather than getting picked for not being on crutches. 

Doughty is a really intelligent footballer I'm really glad we still have him. 

Famewo again did not put a foot wrong, Norwich must have some amazing centre halves to not need him 

Gunter defended excellently 
    Shinnie is not a complicated player, gets the ball forward and I can see why he was such a key part of Lutons side, I like him from what I saw today 

Overall we played well especially whilst learning to play together. We were good for the win, had a bit of luck and have the makings of a competitive side 

Agree with all of that... We just need Chuks to smash one in and get on a run.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Poor crowd overall and Wigan away support non-existent. Rugby town
    I ended up using sound of live facebook feed of the demonstrations from Jerusalem all through the game to liven up the atmosphere (they kept shouting 'Go,Go, Go', and even had pink flags which is almost like red)
  • Options
    RedRobin said:
    Watson and Pratley in the same line up reminds of the Russell Slade days, neither should be in the same line up ever! 
    Thanks - I’d really tried to forget the Foley Crofts midfield axis !  In all seriousness, maybe Watson is rusty.  I didn’t love Pratley in this league last time.  Personally, I’d play him only in games when we have far less of the ball or as the middle man of the back three.  
  • Options
    Did I miss Wigan having a goal disallowed? If so, I've completely blanked it
    No, the ref had already blown for our free kick before the Wigan guy put it in the net.
  • Options
    Brilliant result as in theory we should only go and get better, but obviously a bit concerning that we created basically nothing despite Aneke's performance up front.

I can see Smyth and Aneke linking well together, I just worry a bit if Aneke wants to drop deep and hold up the ball and dribble with it, and Smyth wants to run out wide who is going to be in the box to score goals for us. Hopefully Maddison I guess. Bogle looked promising in his short stint too though so maybe he can be more of a goal scorer than Aneke.

I can see why Palace held onto Innis so long as he is an absolute monster if it clicks for him. Gunter just looks like someone you just won't have to worry about for the most part which is promising too. 
    I thought Gunter allowed in too may crosses.
  • Options
    Chuks won most of the headers and his control on the ball was excellent. My MoM. Not sure why Pratley is getting so much criticism; he covered a lot of ground and carried out his normal spoiling role pretty well I thought. Inniss and Famewo were really good and Inniss has every chance of becoming our new cult hero. We are on the up!
  • Options
    Inniss and Famewo both look solid.
    When Pearce returns to full fitness we look to be well covered at centre half 
  • Options
    Enjoyed the game, not often I've said that since we went online only. 
    All the new guys contributed: Inniss looks solid, Smyth energetic, Shinnie moved the ball a lot, Gunter experienced and a good reader, Bogle showed promise. Watson the only one who didn't look that good and we won't miss him when he picks up his inevitable suspension after 2  more games. Still time for him to improve though, hopefully this is just him being behind on fitness. 
    Pleased JFC scored, though the goalie should have done better. Is he out best left sided set piece taker? Aneke looked a real handful, looking forward to more of this sort of play from him. 
    For once the sh** ref worked more in our favour, though I doubt Doughty would agree after the headbutt that went unpunished. Still some way to go before it evens itself up IMO as the fans of bigger clubs who always get the rub of the green like to pretend.

• Options
    Pratley played well doing his thing, it's just that coupled with watson made us pass back to famewo so much.

Luckily him and aneke linked up well
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2020
    The general problem with Pratley is how slowly he moves the ball in transitions and how poor his choice of pass is. There are frequent opportunities for us to break with a quick pass but he doesn't release it fast enough and quite often it's the wrong one. He gets it, slows it down, sends it sideways and now the opposition are back and have regrouped. 

He is good at breaking up play and winning the second ball. The question is, with Watson in the side, do we need two Pratley's? I believe when we play weaker sides who will sit back, Bowyer will opt to play Levitt or Williams there, so we can have a bit more craft and guile in unlocking defences. I suppose it's not a bad shout to have an extra ball winner in midfield against a tough side like Wigan.
  • Options
    Watson, Pratley and Pearce in the same team will be quite pedestrian, rather than experienced and full of guile.
  • Options
    Aneke was my man of the match but I just can’t see him being our main goal threat this season. He holds it up pretty well. Wins a few decent flick ons but his style is lumbering and that’s not meant to be an insult. He’s not got enough explosive qualities needed to get 10 - 12 goals a season never mind 20. Can’t see him partnering Bogle either. I’m sure we tried for another mobile striker but I still feel we won’t score enough goals to get promoted. 
  • Options
    Happy enough with the three points and the knowledge that things are only going to get better. Yes, it was scrappy at times but all these new players need time to gel. Will have a better idea of where we are heading by the end of the month.
     special mention for Chuks, JFC and Inniss.
  • Options
    With Gilbey and Maddison out that was a good win even though not pleasing on the eye.
    In time the team, will play more on the front foot, and be more pro active in attacking play. It's acceptable to go defensive against Leeds and Brentford at the Valley when 1-0 but this is going to be a real grind if we do it against Rochdale and Northampton etc.

Pratley and Watson in the same team is problematic, and we need a better blend of youth and experience in the side.

The international break affected the starting 11 yesterday. We must play two up top in this division, with crosses from the wing.
    The "20 goal" striker is unlikely to be found so the goals will be shared out; two goals in 3 home games will have to improve unless the plan is to grind out one nils. 

The group of strangers which is our squad will need to find cohesion ASAP.

On to Blackpool.
  • Options
    Aneke was my man of the match but I just can’t see him being our main goal threat this season. He holds it up pretty well. Wins a few decent flick ons but his style is lumbering and that’s not meant to be an insult. He’s not got enough explosive qualities needed to get 10 - 12 goals a season never mind 20. Can’t see him partnering Bogle either. I’m sure we tried for another mobile striker but I still feel we won’t score enough goals to get promoted. 

I would tend to agree on the 'lumbering' comment because it always seems to look that way. But on closer inspection you can see Chucks is pretty quick when running with the ball, maybe that's because it would take a brave defender to try to stop him!
  • Options
    We have a relatively easy run of games now, so the ideal time for the new players to settle in

With the quantity of games coming up, I imagine players will be rotated for fitness and conditioning reasons as much as for what they bring on the pitch
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

I would tend to agree on the 'lumbering' comment because it always seems to look that way. But on closer inspection you can see Chucks is pretty quick when running with the ball, maybe that's because it would take a brave defender to try to stop him!
    Thing is I really like Chuks. He’s got bags of ability but a number nine he’s not. My feeling is that our defence is key to any success this season. If we can become difficult to beat then we might just grind out enough wins to reach the playoffs. Sandgaard wanted to see 4 - 3 wins not 1 - 0 wins. I’m willing to bet he won’t see many games when we score 4.

True - but he'll be overjoyed if we go up with only 1-0 wins. Let's hope we don't have to rely on goal difference!