Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Wigan Athletic | Post Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    DOUCHER said:
    i don't think anybody should judge our season on yesterday's line up - that was job done but once maetsen comes in, doughty moves up the pitch, maddison and williams start and gilby is fit, we will go through this division like a hot knife through butter - COYR!!!!
    Have you been drinking @DOUCHER?
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    i don't think anybody should judge our season on yesterday's line up - that was job done but once maetsen comes in, doughty moves up the pitch, maddison and williams start and gilby is fit, we will go through this division like a hot knife through butter - COYR!!!!
    its sunday, of course i have
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    its sunday, of course i have
    It's a day of the week ending in "day"  :D
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    DOUCHER said:
    And yet remarkably, people are drawing all kinds of conclusions from this team's first 90 minutes. 
  • Options
    A couple of things. 

That probably wasn't the team Bowyer would have picked if it was a must win game.  It was a team to get a result of course but also the 1st of a real glut of games. 

He picked Pratley and JFC on the "wrong side" for a reason.

That's exactly the sort of result we didn't get at this stage 2 years ago. 

IMO it's now fair to judge Bowyer on results but probably not fair, yet, to judge on performances. 

• Options
    edited October 2020
    DOUCHER said:
    I do agree with the proviso we are able to make those changes at some point. I have to be honest and say that Watson and Pratley playing together was, I thought, quite a negative choice. We had Williams on the bench who must have been buzzing from the International break. 

Bringing Purrington on could be argued was sensible apart from the fact that it could send a message to players to sit back, which it did. We were far too deep after that with Doughty not really changing his position and an extra left back.

We do have the squad to be a front foot team and throw negativity out of the window. Ok, maybe we need to gel a bit and get one or two back, but unless Pratley is playing centre half, Watson OR Pratley please. Pratley on current form.

Saturday's game was a 50/50 game which we found ourselves on the right side of. We could have just as easily been on the other side of that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I keep coming back in my mind to what a good win that was. If you take out the fact that we had new, unfit players all needing to gel and the fact that it wasn't a 5 star performance and just view the match on its own, it's a great result. At the start of the season if we are looking to go up you would have said beating a team who were up in the Championship last season 1-0 is a great result. Beating teams like Hull, Wigan, Sunderland and Ipswich will go a long way towards us being able to make something of this season
  • Options
    I keep coming back in my mind to what a good win that was. If you take out the fact that we had new, unfit players all needing to gel and the fact that it wasn't a 5 star performance and just view the match on its own, it's a great result. At the start of the season if we are looking to go up you would have said beating a team who were up in the Championship last season 1-0 is a great result. Beating teams like Hull, Wigan, Sunderland and Ipswich will go a long way towards us being able to make something of this season
    Definitely agree that it was a good win, but I would be pretty surprised if Wigan are competing at the top of the table this season.  
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    se9addick said:
    Definitely agree that it was a good win, but I would be pretty surprised if Wigan are competing at the top of the table this season.  
    They have a few good players but the mighty Crewe beat them 2 nil the week before. We have the players to get promoted, that wasn't a great performance but a great result and my glasses are not tinted enough to say otherwise. I do expect us to start comprehensively beating teams now with the squad we have. 
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Amos: couple of very good saves and a handling blunder that didn't cost us
    Inniss: very impressive for one so undercooked
    Pratley: masterful
    Famewo: he's very good
    Gunter: early booking was plain wrong with that hanging over him his performance very impressive
    Watson: quiet and quietly effective, his booking also just refereeing nonsense
    Shinnie: quiet
    Forster-Caskey: looked like he might be back to something like the form of 3+ years ago a revelation compared to just a couple of weeks ago
    Doughty: coped well with the treatment dished out to him especially as it took over an hour for the whistle carrier to take any action
    Aneke: couple of good looking touches and moments of strength but ultimately very little end product, telling that he was withdrawn after an hour
    Smyth: energetic and enthusiastic, handy to have a long throw merchant
    Bogle: looked like a defender's nightmare in his cameo
    Referee: dreadful and dreadfully erratic god knows how he managed not to norse up the whole game, destined for high office at EFL!

Wigan at least as good as any visitors to the Valley so far.
    Charlton's dead balls consistently awful bar two free-kicks from JFC.
    Game management just good enough to see out the 105 minutes.  The experience of Pratley and Watson ought to keep the team from dropping too deep when they're ahead
  • Options
    edited October 2020

• Options
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Pass completion was quite low yesterday... Amos the only starter over 80% as proof that the players need time to gel

I saw somewhere that Gunter had a very successful pass completion rate in the first half.
  • Options
    Bloody useless Washington!

;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2020
    I have little interest in pass completion rates. It is dangerous (for opponents) pass completions that are all that matters. Extra pass teams are generally toothless if the dangerous completion rate is not high and visa versa. 
  • Options
    Pass completion was quite low yesterday... Amos the only starter over 80% as proof that the players need time to gel

But Amos' distribution is awful or so CL Moaners tell me...
  • Options
    edited October 2020

Would also just like to point out that in his earliest days with us Pratley was often singled out for adding nothing to our team. As the promotion season wore on and many moments last season his true value became obvious. Wouldn't be surprised if it were a similar case for Ben Watson.
  • Options

Would also just like to point out that in his earliest days with us Pratley was often singled out for adding nothing to our team. As the promotion season wore on and many moments last season his true value became obvious. Wouldn't be surprised if it were a similar case for Ben Watson.
    I don't think the issue is necessarily Ben Watson per se but a midfield of Watson, Pratley and JFC being too pedestrian as a unit particularly against better opposition.

Watson, on the day, was arguably the worst of the three so attracted most of the flak>
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

I don't think the issue is necessarily Ben Watson per se but a midfield of Watson, Pratley and JFC being too pedestrian as a unit particularly against better opposition.

Watson, on the day, was arguably the worst of the three so attracted most of the flak>
    Pratley OR Watson would probably play a very useful part in the team. Pratley AND Watson seems redundant.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Yes, Sheridan has done a good job to put out a competitive starting 11 after losing so many of their best players, but the lack of squad depth really showed with their weak bench. 
  • Options
    Interesting that JFC is in the Sky Bet team of the week.

I thought he had a good game with running on and off the ball.
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:
    Interesting that JFC is in the Sky Bet team of the week.

I thought he had a good game with running on and off the ball.
    Yes, had a good game, they also love a goal scorer for their team.
  • Options
    Hope @Viewfinder was watching. I miss his write ups!
    Thanks, AFKA - and I know your tongue is slightly in your cheek! Certainly a better showing than the comical, slapstick performances against Donny and Sunderland. And praise - shock, horror! - for Chuks Aneke: at last he looked like a dangerous striker: won most aerial balls and there was a sublime header and turn in the box.

Paul Smyth looks lively. Wigan were uninspired, unexciting. Overall the event seemed dreary to me: even watching on screen the absence of a crowd, the lack of atmosphere, left a gaping void. There is no escaping existential fact: this was bang-average, third division stuff...