Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Wigan Athletic | Post Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    hard fort three points and we do need a bit of luck now and then like anyone else.
    unfortunately we cannot last very long with 1-0 leads and we still desperately need a proper striker.
    i honestly think once the new team members start gelling and get settled with each other we will get better but we do need that striker 👍
  • Options
    1968CAFC said:
    hard fort three points and we do need a bit of luck now and then like anyone else.
    unfortunately we cannot last very long with 1-0 leads and we still desperately need a proper striker.
    i honestly think once the new team members start gelling and get settled with each other we will get better but we do need that striker 👍
    Well I think we do have that striker. Maybe not the type you like though.

The key is to play to the strikers strengths and set up to provide that service on a regular basis. We’ll see.
  • Options
    I did not see the game, but going by other comments about the players, perhaps LB played Pratley and Watson together because he knew some of our players were not upto match fitness and he needed to keep a clean sheet. I also expect to see our three Welsh players start on Tuesday, again I think LB left them out because they were involved (next necessarily playing) three games and with all the travelling would be tired. I still think (especially this season), we will not tell how good we are until after 10 games
  • Options
    Important win today. Boys were brilliant
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    2 things to say about this clip:

1. The keeper should've saved it
    2. Inniss is a giant
    No1  Keeper judged it perfectly ;)
    No2 Quite agree stands tall ;)
  • Options
    My observation is that how on earth anyone can say the keeper was at fault or otherwise by watching that clip is a better man than I am.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My observation is that how on earth anyone can say the keeper was at fault or otherwise by watching that clip is a better man than I am.
    I have seen the goal multiple times from multiple angles and the keeper should definitely have saved it. Hope this helps.
    Not from that clip though which is I presume Shooters was getting at. 
  • Options
    A better performance than of late.
    I don't think Bowyer helped by playing left footed JFC on the right and right footed Pratley on the left.

Gunter, Innis & Famewo look solid to me and I feel sides may attack our LB position this season, like they did Da Silva.

JFC had a decent game, Doughty got stuck in, Shinnie was ok and Watson is not at his best.

Smyth looked excellent early on but faded and Aneke was the pick of the bunch.
    I'm a bit surprised he was scored 8.5 or 9, if he'd scored that would have put him 9.5/10.
    If he'd scored 2 he would be 10 and if he scored a hat trick he would have been 11 or 12/10.

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    Aneke was my man of the match but I just can’t see him being our main goal threat this season. He holds it up pretty well. Wins a few decent flick ons but his style is lumbering and that’s not meant to be an insult. He’s not got enough explosive qualities needed to get 10 - 12 goals a season never mind 20. Can’t see him partnering Bogle either. I’m sure we tried for another mobile striker but I still feel we won’t score enough goals to get promoted. 

I would tend to agree on the 'lumbering' comment because it always seems to look that way. But on closer inspection you can see Chucks is pretty quick when running with the ball, maybe that's because it would take a brave defender to try to stop him!
    Oh I've seen a fair few defenders try, it's just they seem to bounce off...
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Three points.
    Love it.
    Watson and Pratley in the same team love it less.
    Pratley is the skipper at the moment, has seniority in my view.

What was that thing when the ref made those two parallel lines a couple of yards apart, after an injury I believe?
    We couldn't work those parallel line out either. Guess it was to keep the Wigan player away at the drop ball whilst we passed back to them, but its a first Ive seen
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Decent win. Wigan despite all their off field issues are a good side.

Like the look of Viv Soloman-Otabor and have seen that he only has a contract till January. Definitely one I would look at.
  • Options
    Aneke was my man of the match but I just can’t see him being our main goal threat this season. He holds it up pretty well. Wins a few decent flick ons but his style is lumbering and that’s not meant to be an insult. He’s not got enough explosive qualities needed to get 10 - 12 goals a season never mind 20. Can’t see him partnering Bogle either. I’m sure we tried for another mobile striker but I still feel we won’t score enough goals to get promoted. 
    I echo your last sentence. A team with a goal threat would have scored 2 or 3 yesterday. So far in the league this season both Crewe & Gillingham have scored 3 against them & Ipswich twice. In the league cup Fleetwood also scored 3 - a team who also tore apart Hull last week scoring 4 and could have had 5 or 6. 

We have only scored more than one goal once so far this season......and have only scored 2 goals in our last 4 games. And before anyone chirps up spouting "but we hadn't strengthend before those games" only the Sunderland home game were we "depleted" up front (with no Bonne) - before then we had Bonne, Washington & Aneke. Basically yesterday Smyth replaced Bonne. And we brought on another new player in Bogle.

• Options
    Pass completion was quite low yesterday... Amos the only starter over 80% as proof that the players need time to gel

That makes everything perfectly clear  ;)

• Options
    Out of interest, why did the Charlton players enter the pitch by coming down the steps of the West Stand, social distancing?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Out of interest, why did the Charlton players enter the pitch by coming down the steps of the West Stand, social distancing?
    Pretty certain it is. It was the same for the Championship games after the resumption. I'm sure that during the Merseyside derby yesterday the commentators said the Liverpool dressing room was in the car park. I assume that was for social distancing reasons rather than a reference to the shit state of the Goodison interior...
  • Options
    Because the tunnel isnt big enough to accommodate both sets of players whilst observing social distancing

Its why they've been doing it since the Restart in June
  • Options
    Thought JFC had a decent game and might be ok with mote physically imposing players around him. 
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Pass completion was quite low yesterday... Amos the only starter over 80% as proof that the players need time to gel

Graphic has Pratley listed as a centre back and a 3-5-2 formation!

Ranking the most accurate passers (starting XI only) based on those numbers:

1. Amos
    2. Pratley / Gunter
    -
    4. Smyth
    5. Watson
    6. Famewo
    -
    7. Shinnie
    8. Inniss
    9. Doughty
    10. Forster-Caskey
    11. Aneke

• Options
    Because the tunnel isnt big enough to accommodate both sets of players whilst observing social distancing

So despite being the home team, we're courteous enough to allow Wigan the less tiring option of running out at ground zero?

No wonder Aneke had to go off after 60 mins, he must of been cream crackered after all those steps!
  • Options

Yeah, because it makes all the difference being in the tunnel together for 30 secs when they are all out on the pitch together for 90 mins.
    Its the same idiotic idea who thought that it would be a good idea for the players to come out on the pitch one after the other (rather than at the start of the game) if teams are using the same tunnel - What they then didnt think of was the fact that at HT and FT the players and staff would be leaving the pitch together rather than waiting for one team to leave the pitch first
  • Options
    So where did the players come from when we had the 1k there for the recent league game 
  • Options
    So where did the players come from when we had the 1k there for the recent league game 
    Came out of the tunnel as they showed the players emerging for the warm up to applause - I guess for that game it was pretty much treated as a normal matchday for the players
  • Options

Bowyer might talk about how he likes to play good football, but in reality we've not passed the ball well for a while, since a year ago when the likes of Gallagher, Cullen, Williams and Taylor were knocking it around. There was an element of either hit and hope yesterday such as hopeful balls over the top for Smyth to chase or long clearances aimed at Chuks

As the players get to know each other things will improve of course, and if you look at Inniss's second half stats, I'm sure they'll have a much higher success rate than his first half ones!