Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Where are the goals coming from?

Comments

• Options
    In answer to the OP question:
    Washington in open play
    Numerous from set pieces
    Chuks might get a good looking ratio to time on the field, but there lies his limiting factor - time fit to play
    Shinnie, Smyth, Bogle and Williams will probably add 10 between them -  if OB gets a run of form he might make double figures himself but atm he's lacking summat, confidence?
    Who knows what Maddison will bring?  I've not got much resting on him
  • Options
    I see that Ched Evans the "proper striker" mentioned in the match thread isn't in the top 12.

I saw with my own eyes that Ched Evans is a proper striker and he scored two cracking goals. I'm convinced being locked up for a few years didn't help his career (no shit Sherlock) and he probably won't ever reach the consistency that looked likely as a 22 year old.
    Only 10 games in but the best striker Charlton have faced this season.
  • Options
    Goals per minute is a much better stat than goals/appearances 
    Aneke on a goal per 73 minutes at the moment. 
    But that might still only mean a goal every three or four games!
  • Options
    Let's not give that lowest form of scum who is employed as a striker by Fleetwood Town, any more publicity or validation, shall we?  Its presence on a football pitch is a stain on the game.
  • Options
    Goals per minute is a much better stat than goals/appearances 
    Aneke on a goal per 73 minutes at the moment. 
    But that might still only mean a goal every three or four games!
    True, it’s 3 goals in 8 games if including cup 
  • Options
    I see that Ched Evans the "proper striker" mentioned in the match thread isn't in the top 12.

I saw with my own eyes that Ched Evans is a proper striker and he scored two cracking goals. I'm convinced being locked up for a few years didn't help his career (no shit Sherlock) and he probably won't ever reach the consistency that looked likely as a 22 year old.
    Looked like a clear foul on Purrington for the second, but his finishes were tidy. 
  • Options

Well thats great.  But he isnt scoring consistently.  That's my idea of a proper striker.  Still, Fleetwood fans will have those goals to look back on I suppose.
  • Options

Well thats great.  But he isnt scoring consistently.  That's my idea of a proper striker.  Still, Fleetwood fans will have those goals to look back on I suppose.
    He's scored 4 and the other two came in the preceding games to ours. 
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Impressive stats for Joe Pigott  - most goals (6) and assists (4) combined in the division
    True but he has 6 goals from 30 shots compared with Washington who has 5 goals from 10 shots.

The kid (Jephcott) at Plymouth in the list could be one to watch. 5 goals in 6 starts this season, got 7 in 13 starts last season, and he's only 20. But most importantly, he's Welsh!
  • Options
    Impressive stats for Joe Pigott  - most goals (6) and assists (4) combined in the division
    True but he has 6 goals from 30 shots compared with Washington who has 5 goals from 10 shots.

The kid (Jephcott) at Plymouth in the list could be one to watch. 5 goals in 6 starts this season, got 7 in 13 starts last season, and he's only 20. But most importantly, he's Welsh!
    Called out Jephcott in the same way on the last page. Would love us to snap him up, young exciting welsh and under cap age. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

But, as I've explained, the reason that Pigott has 30 shots is because he is taking the opportunity to shoot from anywhere and everywhere. His accuracy of 57% also suggests that these aren't wild attempts and it is more than possible that at least one of his 4 assists have arisen from a shot that has been parried by the keeper.
  • Options

But, as I've explained, the reason that Pigott has 30 shots is because he is taking the opportunity to shoot from anywhere and everywhere. His accuracy of 57% also suggests that these aren't wild attempts and it is more than possible that at least one of his 4 assists have arisen from a shot that has been parried by the keeper.
    Not counted as assists if the keeper intervenes are they? It's only if the player had the last touch.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Not counted as assists if the keeper intervenes are they? It's only if the player had the last touch.
    I was unaware that this was the case. In Fantasy Premier League it does and I believe that they use OPTA stats. For any penalty that is given, the assist goes down to the person fouled unless they are the penalty taker too.
  • Options
    Fair play if that's the case. I always believed the assist was lost when a defending player is the last to touch the ball before the striker. However agree regards the penalty. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Fair play if that's the case. I always believed the assist was lost when a defending player is the last to touch the ball before the striker. However agree regards the penalty. 
    I think you’re right. From the figures I’ve seen from last night, there is no assist for Washington’s first goal. 
  • Options
    I notice that neither Clarke-Harris or Dembele have brilliant accuracy or conversion rates - Still question their defence so if those two stop scoring I can see another typical slide for Peterborough 
    Clarke-Harris' stats look even worse when you consider that 2 of his 6 goals were penalties. So he then has just 4 goals from his other 30 attempts.

Peterborough score a lot though so he'll probably get to at least 20 goals.
  • Options
    Aneke played 38 league games for MK Dons the season before he joined us. Bowyer is being careful with him, but no reason he can't do the same for us.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    League One goals per minute rankings:

1. Chuks Aneke (77) - CHARLTON
    2. Harvey Saunders (84) - FLEETWOOD
    3. Luke Jephcott (85) - PLYMOUTH
    4. Fabio Tavares (99) - ROCHDALE
    5. John Marquis (109) - PORTSMOUTH
    6. Tyler Smith (125) - SWINDON
    7. Tom Eaves (138) - HULL
    8. Conor Washington (143) - CHARLTON
    9. Conor Grant (153) - PLYMOUTH
    10. Ellis Harrison (154) - PORTSMOUTH
    11. Malik Wilks (156) - HULL
    12. Keane Lewis-Potter (158) - HULL
    13. Jonson Clarke-Harris (162) - PETERBOROUGH
    14. Joe Pigott (163) - WIMBLEDON
    15. Jorge Grant (164) - LINCOLN
    16. Charlie Wyke (165) - SUNDERLAND
    16. Caleb Chukwuemeka (165) - NORTHAMPTON
    18. Siriki Dembele (169) - PETERBOROUGH
    19. Marcus Harness (176) - PORTSMOUTH
    20. Gwion Edwards (181) - IPSWICH
    20. Dominic Telford (181) - PLYMOUTH

As the season wears on and more games are played, the numbers at the top of the list naturally get bigger.

Last season's top five goal per minute ratio was 118, 128, 134, 141 and 150. None of those five are playing League One football this year (three in the Championship, one in France and one in Turkey).
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    What did people think of the Jephcott lad from Plymouth today? Seems to be having a good start to the season and he's Welsh so you know Lee's gonna be interested...
  • Options
    Latest League goal tally;

Washington 5 goals from 9 starts and 1 substitution
    Anneke       3 goals from 1 start and 6 substitutions
    Smyth         1 goal from 2 starts and 2 substitutions
    Bogle          0 goals from 5 starts and 1 substitution

Others - no more than 1 each.

It's not looking great so far. Think we need to settle on starting Anneke and Washington or Anneke and Smyth if fit and using the nonstarter as the sub. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PWR - We are a striker away from automatics. We won't get top two with the current comp. Only way we would is if Chuks consistently played 90 mins.
  • Options
    I think we need a Clive Mendonca level of acquisition in January. Who could do it for us and be afforbale? Matt Godden of Coventry has been suggested to me and not a bad shout. Who else?
  • Options
    I think we need a Clive Mendonca level of acquisition in January. Who could do it for us and be afforbale? Matt Godden of Coventry has been suggested to me and not a bad shout. Who else?
    Godden is playing regularly in the Championship, highly doubt he’s going to drop down. I think we’ll try for Schwartz again and I think the Plymouth lad Jephcott is a good shout. 
  • Options
    League 2 , and league 1 top scorers so far.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Godden is playing regularly in the Championship, highly doubt he’s going to drop down. I think we’ll try for Schwartz again and I think the Plymouth lad Jephcott is a good shout. 
    From the little I know about him, Jephcott is worth looking at 
  • Options
    League 2 and League 1 assists so far this season.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    We haven’t got a player in the top 7 for either goals or assists, in league 1 yet are doing all right in the table.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    If he came here in January with us top-of-the-table he wouldn't necessarily see it as dropping down if the deal was right. We are in a position to be able to entice a player like Godden from a club like Coventry as things stand. We are going to need much better strikers in the Championship, so why not move early in January and get one?