Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

European Super League - clubs withdrawing p42 onwards.

Comments

• Options
    Am I right in thinking we haven’t put out anything about this yet?

Not even the EFL’s statement?

Thats interesting isn’t it? 🤔
  • Options

How many EFL clubs have?

That being said, with an American owner who probably “gets” what the others are doing and maybe even agrees with the format, he’s aware enough of sentiment to say nothing for now.
  • Options
    Can I be one to say that on every measure that matters Cray Wanderers are one of the ‘best’ twenty football clubs and teams in Europe, easily outranking Liverpool.
  • Options

Reckon we’re the 13th team to sign up?
  • Options
    Can I be first to say fuck you chris Farnell. You scummy vulture prick. 
    Well said, but you're definitely not the first. It's been said many times before, even by his own family.
  • Options
    edited April 2021

PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi has turned down the chance to replace Andrea Agnelli as chairman of the European Clubs’ Association.

The ECA is reeling from the resignation of all 12 clubs involved in the planned European Super League.

BBC Sport understands Al-Khelaifi was the first choice to take over from Juventus chairman Agnelli, who was condemned for his behaviour in joining the planned breakaway by UEFA president.

However, Al Khelaifi is reluctant to add to his workload.

BBC Sport has been told this is not the prelude to a move by PSG to join the 12 clubs, as they hoped, and that Al Khelaifi has been speaking with the ECA and Uefa today as the row that has engulfed them continues.

Hmmm - nothing to do with the probability that the Kuwaiti owned PSG will almost certainly join the ESL AFTER the World Cup in Kuwait!

• Options
    I don't think PSG will join post World Cup, I don't think City or Chelsea would have done if they hadn't been spooked by the fear of being left behind. 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    I don't think PSG will join post World Cup, I don't think City or Chelsea would have done if they hadn't been spooked by the fear of being left behind. 
    Why do you think that?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2021
    He's easily the worst one on that show, otherwise it's quite an enjoyable listen.
  • Options
    It is going to be interesting in terms of managers and players. There are still some options for players like Kane in other countries and he may reluctant to give up his England career. Klopp doesn't strike me as a manager who could go along with this and he could always return to Germany. 

It may present more opportunities for home grown players to develop. I can see older players being attracted but this may undermine the ESL. Players will need massive inducements as there will be less options for their careers if clubs find better options. I would hope a player that signs a contract with a ESL club to be banned from other clubs for life, including as managers. It is more complicated for those already contracted as they would have done this before this development. Maybe they would have to give a commitment that they won't sign another.  
    I'm sure it won't happen but i'd love it if at the end of the season he said i don't want to be part of this and went back to the Bundesliga.
  • Options
    Can’t see Pep being happy with that. He’s made it no secret as to how much he wants that CL medal with city.
  • Options
    That'll make for an interesting final...  :D
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Rothko said:
    Why do you think that?
    Just from what was said on The Athletic, didn’t/don’t need the money 
  • Options

Are the Farnell/Elliotttttttttttttt twitter bots out in force again?
  • Options

We will put everything on the table to prevent this from happening - Dowden

Oliver Dowden, Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport, said the UK Government will be "reviewing everything the Government does" to support the so-called big six football clubs who have decided to join the European Super League.

Making a statement on the matter in the Commons, he said he has spoken to the football authorities, adding: "My message for them was clear: they have our full backing.

"But, be in no doubt, if they can't act we will. We will put everything on the table to prevent this from happening. We are examining every option from governance reform to competition law and mechanisms that allow football to take place.

"Put simply, we will be reviewing everything the Government does to support these clubs to play. I have discussed these options with the Prime Minister this morning and we are working at pace across Government and with football authorities.

"We will do everything it takes to protect our national game. These clubs have decided to put money ahead of fans."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/56797739

Debate on ESL currently taking place in the House of Commons, being shown live on the BBC Parliament channel

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-9487549/UEFA-confirm-plans-revamp-Champions-League-2024-25-season.html

This is why there's a Super League:

Despite mounting confusion over the future of European football amid accelerating plans for the European Super League, UEFA have confirmed their plans to revamp the Champions League from 2024-25. 

UEFA revealed earlier this year their desire to shake-up Europe's premier club competition and exactly how they plan to do that has now been revealed. 

The shake-up would see the total number of teams swell from 32 to 36 and the traditional group stage format is to be abolished.

In its place a single league stage, which includes all 36 participating teams, would be devised which would see every team guaranteed 10 'league stage' matches.

Five of those matches would be at home and the other five would be away from home.

The top eight sides from that 'league stage' format would progress to the knockout stage automatically.

Those remaining sides running from ninth to 24th would then enter two-legged eliminators to determine the other eight teams into the last-16. 

• Options
    24 Red said:
    Sorry if this is covered elsewhere in the thread, but can someone clarify why this proposal is so terrible?

I mean, I get that it is all about income generation rather than sporting principles but that’s been the way of things for a long time now.

The way I read it this is an attack on UEFA. These clubs want to replace the existing European competitions with one that gives them greater income and greater certainty over that income. In return they promise to redistribute more income into domestic leagues and will still participate in those leagues with the (admittedly very hypothetical) threat of relegation.

I suppose they may subsequently call for a reduction in the size of the premiership to accommodate fixtures but that’s a battle for the future.

I’m not saying it’s a brilliant day for the game, but I can’t get worked up about a bunch of clubs deciding to screw UEFA.
    Yes because these clubs will definitely be up for giving their money away.
  • Options
    24 Red said:
    Sorry if this is covered elsewhere in the thread, but can someone clarify why this proposal is so terrible?

I mean, I get that it is all about income generation rather than sporting principles but that’s been the way of things for a long time now.

The way I read it this is an attack on UEFA. These clubs want to replace the existing European competitions with one that gives them greater income and greater certainty over that income. In return they promise to redistribute more income into domestic leagues and will still participate in those leagues with the (admittedly very hypothetical) threat of relegation.

I suppose they may subsequently call for a reduction in the size of the premiership to accommodate fixtures but that’s a battle for the future.

I’m not saying it’s a brilliant day for the game, but I can’t get worked up about a bunch of clubs deciding to screw UEFA.
    Yep - you've convinced me.

"Don't worry Daniel - Spurs will make 50 zillion a year even if you finish bottom - and the same every year because you can't be relegated, unlike the whipping boys we'll get in every season to produce goals, goals, goals and therefore games you may, in exceptional circumstances, have a chance of winning". 

"We also need to rework the old Corinthian spirit - something like 'Sport is not about taking part or even winning - it's about money', Daniel"
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    What the PL and EFL have to do is to negotiate the initial financial implications. When they do, we will have a more competitive league structure  in this country and hopefully an infrastructure where everybody will feel they have a chance of success one day. Even us.

The majority of fans have observed that money has ruined football so ultimately a fair bit less of it can improve it. I am thinking as a Charlton fan. If we managed to go up to the Premier League, we might have ambitions at the top more than survival for more than a season. Everton may have a chance of winning it. Isn't this what clubs should be able to do?

Ok players will be paid lower salaries but many of them are paid ridiculous amounts. We keep moaning about that. Of course they should be rewarded well, but we can return to a normality in a healthy competition with it would be hoped safeguards to ensure it stays healthy.

We can leave the ESL for the Chinese, Yanks and Arabs to watch on their TVs. World cups will still be exciting and we haven't won any major tournament as a nation despite having the richest league. The biggest tragedy is for the proper fans of these clubs. Their clubs are being murdered in front of their eyes.