Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

European Super League - clubs withdrawing p42 onwards.

Comments

• Options
    McBobbin said:
    Have any of the players said anything yet? I wonder how much they knew about it
    will be interesting because FIFA have previously said that anyone playing in breakaway leagues wouldn't be recognised and thus ineligible for world cups.

will players turn their backs on their country in order to double their money? (unfortunately i think most would)
    I doubt the players, at least those under contract, have any choice in the matter. They will be punished the moment they step onto the pitch for one of these games. I’m not sure they can be punished just for being part of one of the teams. 

Similarly, it would need a lawyer to figure out whether the teams are guilty of any infraction by signing up for this, or only when they play their first game. 

If it’s the latter, it’s going to turn into a big game of chicken. 
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    will be interesting because FIFA have previously said that anyone playing in breakaway leagues wouldn't be recognised and thus ineligible for world cups.

will players turn their backs on their country in order to double their money? (unfortunately i think most would)
    I doubt the players, at least those under contract, have any choice in the matter. They will be punished the moment they step onto the pitch for one of these games. I’m not sure they can be punished just for being part of one of the teams. 

Similarly, it would need a lawyer to figure out whether the teams are guilty of any infraction by signing up for this, or only when they play their first game. 

I suppose they could do what Mourinho has done.
  • Options
    Personally, I feel this is inevitable. It’s been banging around for years, and the so called elite clubs are all for it. Because The current owners only see the money aspect. Shame they don’t recognise their duty of care towards all the other clubs. Because to be fair, if it wasn’t for them, ie competition, the big clubs wouldn’t be where they are now. And I wonder if the current crop would have the same opinion say 20, 30 years ago, when some were not so big.
    so I say let them go and have their super league, but on the condition that, they as a club cannot participate in any domestic competitions. And that includes reserves, and youth teams. 
    I for one have been disillusioned with Premier, and European football for a while, rarely is their an entertaining game these days. It’s all a chess match, tactics are done to death, players are all very much the same with fitness, and, with a few exceptions, technically. Unfortunately, COVID has shown this has resonated down the leagues, and the entertainment value has dissipated, leading to dour, turgid games, which if we all didn’t support our teams, we probably wouldn’t watch.
    If nothing else it’s highlighted how important the match day experience is to us fans, irrespective of how good the football is, it’s the atmosphere and the sense ofbelonging that makes it worthwhile. 
    So let the elite go, I won’t miss them!! But don’t let them have their cake and eat it.

• Options
    What every football fan in this country and abroad can do, including those of the six, is promise to boycott any sponsors of the ESL. If its Pespsi, drink Coke, If its Audi, buy a BMW,If Its Playstation, buy an X box etc...
    If it's Kleenex, use a sock.
    Not your own sock though
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2021
    UEFA President sticking boot into Ed Woodward from Man Utd! This is going to be nasty without a doubt.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

But will such a breakaway league break or trigger clauses in a player's contract?

A player's clause might specifically say that if the club doesn't qualify for the Champions League, they can leave for a fixed fee for example. 
  • Options
    I await a Grapevine49 monologue, should be very interesting.
    I see them more as meditations than monologues.
    Each one a gem.
  • Options
    A 25-point deduction for the teams involved would relegate Arsenal, maybe Tottenham too, and leave them struggling to balance Championship midweeks with their other midweek jollies.

Go on, do it. It'd be hilarious. 

Just chuck them out now so they have no league at all. 
    Make 'em walk themselves. If Arsenal, a mid-table team, believe they are so vastly superior to Leicester, Everton or West Ham, never mind the rest of us, let them write a little letter to say so.

And then they can also explain to their neighbouring businesses and community, their council and their MPs, why it's so quiet in their shops and pubs on Saturdays.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

But will such a breakaway league break or trigger clauses in a player's contract?

A player's clause might specifically say that if the club doesn't qualify for the Champions League, they can leave for a fixed fee for example. 
    And every club who has sold players to these clubs and is due payments on international or European appearances (or goals scored/trophies one in those competitions) will have grounds to sue for potential lost income
  • Options
    This will be a resounding success for those involved. The market in the east means clubs no longer need the Premier League, if anything, the Premier League is a stumbling block on the road to a financial utopia. They control the rules, revenue and ultimately football.

In 50 years time younger generations won’t understand what all the fuss was about. You can see it now, 12 year olds saying Messi was overrated because he never did it in the Super League. 

Seriously concerning for the rest of the football pyramid. Owners now have clubs with massive losses and now a glass ceiling on where they can go. 
    Not if steps I suggest are taken. I would actually go further. The five clubs that they deign to drop some crumbs for are either not allowed back in their domestic league, or made to start again at the lowest professional level. 

12 year olds parents have to stand solid as well and refuse to pander to the little glory hunting horrors...  :D    
    It’s a nice idea but it won’t happen unfortunately. The Premier League is just as corrupt and greedy as the rest of them, they can’t afford to lose the teams and replace them with the likes of Barnsley and Brentford. 

I imagine there will be a last minute compromise and this will replace the Champions League.
    Maybe one of us has misunderstood (it may well be me - I'm getting on a bit). The splitters have said they need five clubs as cannon fodder to make up their league - these clubs will "qualify" through some as yet undisclosed criteria. Presuambly the following year there will be different cannon fodder - and don't forget not all will come from England. So Southampton take the kings shilling for a year, then get dumped back where they came from.

They have been replaced by Sheffield Weds or Nottingham Forest not Brentford or Charlton, and they now find themselves playing Harrogate and Port Vale at best, or totally out on their ear at worst. 

Like I say - if everyone else sticks to the plan, with the various points of attack, it is not inevitable at all. Be brave, stand strong and don't be defeatist.      
  • Options
    And what happens if one of the five "invited" clubs ends up winning the thing or even just getting in the Top 5/6?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Spurs and Arsenal are planning open top bus parades for qualifying for this.
    The open top bus hire companies in north London went bust years ago.
    They can afford to buy their own one.
  • Options
    No match officials, no academy competition.
    Feck em all.
    I heard Gordon blimming Taylor of the PFA make a good point about how a player who wants to stay in the game after their average 8 year career benefits from the pyramid structure, which is now threatened.
    I suggest that in his pomp Hasslebaink would have been part of the Pooper League had it existed, now he manages (very well) Burton Albion. A prime example of what Gordon the gambler is saying.
    The more this sinks in the uglier it looks, and the promise of a few Botox injections and implants for the rest, by the greedy sooper leegers, won’t make it look any better.
  • Options
    Utter utter ***** 
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Sorry, but this won't happen and the statement stating that these clubs will still be playing in their domestic competitions is the biggest clue. Amazing though how two teams who have no history of dominating European football, Arsenal and Spurs, think they they can dominate European football. 
  • Options
    What every football fan in this country and abroad can do, including those of the six, is promise to boycott any sponsors of the ESL. If its Pespsi, drink Coke, If its Audi, buy a BMW,If Its Playstation, buy an X box etc...
    If it's Kleenex, use a sock.
    Not your own sock though
    At least take them off of your feet first 
  • Options
    My sense is that the five invited clubs is a temporary arrangement. At some point, the spots will be filled and that'll be that. Like musical chairs.