Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

European Super League - clubs withdrawing p42 onwards.

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Ross said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    When issue I haven't seen talked out much is how this will change the transfer market between the clubs involved.  In the scheme of things there isn't much activity between them, it is more common in Italy though.

But when you have a player like Haaland you end up with a bidding way between 3 or 4 of them.  It might not increase the fee Dortmund get but it drives the wages and agents slice up through the roof because they are all scared the other one will get him.

If the "prize money" is guaranteed there isn't that arms race is there?  They could even buy him from Dortmund and "give" him to the team, out of the 12, that finishes lowest. 
    Assuming he wants to go there. If the ban from players playing for their national teams is enforced, he might see that as a deal breaker.
    Only using him as an example but he is never going to win the world cup, even if a ban was enforced it won't last long anyway, and he isn't going to be able earn anything comparable if he doesn't go there.

It's amazing what people will do for a million quid a week. 
  • Options
    On the bright side, if the premier league kicks out the six clubs in response to this, we actually might be auto promoted this year.  I am kidding - sort of.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Ross said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    When issue I haven't seen talked out much is how this will change the transfer market between the clubs involved.  In the scheme of things there isn't much activity between them, it is more common in Italy though.

But when you have a player like Haaland you end up with a bidding way between 3 or 4 of them.  It might not increase the fee Dortmund get but it drives the wages and agents slice up through the roof because they are all scared the other one will get him.

If the "prize money" is guaranteed there isn't that arms race is there?  They could even buy him from Dortmund and "give" him to the team, out of the 12, that finishes lowest. 
    Assuming he wants to go there. If the ban from players playing for their national teams is enforced, he might see that as a deal breaker.
    Only using him as an example but he is never going to win the world cup, even if a ban was enforced it won't last long anyway, and he isn't going to be able earn anything comparable if he doesn't go there.

Once people earn a certain amount, is money really such a driver?

£200k a week equates to around £10m pa before tax. And that's before commercial endorsements etc

At that level of income, I'd be thinking about personal (and family) happiness, winning trophies, "reputational legacy" etc as much as another £10m, success with your country being an important part of that. And doing the "right thing" too, thinking about the likes of Marcus Rashford with his campaigning last year.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Ross said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

£200k a week equates to around £10m pa before tax. And that's before commercial endorsements etc

At that level of income, I'd be thinking about personal (and family) happiness, winning trophies, "reputational legacy" etc as much as another £10m, success with your country being an important part of that. And doing the "right thing" too, thinking about the likes of Marcus Rashford with his campaigning last year.
    By and large the answer is normally yes people will always have more money of you offer them it.  The owners of these clubs are hardly on skid Row themselves. 
  • Options
    Something I read somewhere suggested that the Home Office could instruct the police not to attend these games. That would mean for a clash between the English clubs it would be hard to see how the home team could  get a safety certificate from the local authority allowing the game to go ahead.

That's the sort of stuff that should be put in the way of this circus. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Ross said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

I always think that too but we havent lived the life of someone on 200k pw. Just like you I think why would I need to go and play somewhere else for 400k pw when I'm happy playing here for 200k pw.

I guess we will never know but I think players will look at that as doubling their money and giving even more security to more generations to come through the family.
  • Options
    I guess the burning question is will the ESL have a positive effect on the amount of chips in a portion of chips at ESL games 🤷
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just like the 100 in cricket
  • Options
    Blimey latest update on Sky News has just dropped a couple of bombshells. Sky speaking to an anonymous board member of one of the big 6, has said, not all board members are in agreement with this across all 6 clubs. The same board member said owners have admitted it's all about the revenue and is paramount to them. Not worried about "for the good of football, that is secondary to making money".
    Midweek games more important than weekend games in PL, hope footballers are banned from playing for their country, they want less football not more. Also hopes they get kicked out of PL as it's better for the ESL.
    More information to come later.
  • Options
    Blimey latest update on Sky News has just dropped a couple of bombshells. Sky speaking to an anonymous board member of one of the big 6, has said, not all board members are in agreement with this across all 6 clubs. The same board member said owners have admitted it's all about the revenue and is paramount to them. Not worried about "for the good of football, that is secondary to making money".
    Midweek games more important than weekend games in PL, hope footballers are banned from playing for their country, they want less football not more. Also hopes they get kicked out of PL as it's better for the ESL.
    More information to come later.
    I think we all know this anyway.

Interestingly saw something that said Chelsea and City weren't that interested in the ESL at first (as their owners don't need the money) but only went along with it late on for fear of being left behind. So i can quite believe that not everyone within those 6 clubs is for this.
  • Options
    If the Champions League continues and "lesser teams" win it, in the way that the likes of Forest, PSV, Red Star Belgrade and Celtic won the old European Cup, it might actually create a more interesting competition, rather than the closed shop of a Super League which could easily become monotonous

Imagine a team like Leicester or Villa reaching the CL final, that would be far more of a story than Man U being in another Super League final.
    I'll be continuing to watch whatever's on terrestrial TV and waiting for the rest of football fans to refuse to pay with me.

If people refuse to pay Sky and all the rest then none of this shit happens. People call it greedy but greed isn't the cause - it's the gullibility of the public that's the cause.

The funny thing is that since ITV stopped their Champions League highlights, my interest has continually declined to the point where I don't even check out the results until the quarter finals.
  • Options
    One of the chairman of 14 other clubs in PL are asking for the big 6 to be kicked out now, cancel this weekends Cup Final, no more games in PL for these 6.

This needs to happen now. 
    I'm looking for a price on the treble - Leicester to win the league and FA Cup, and PSG to win the CL.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Ross said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

I always think that too but we havent lived the life of someone on 200k pw. Just like you I think why would I need to go and play somewhere else for 400k pw when I'm happy playing here for 200k pw.

I guess we will never know but I think players will look at that as doubling their money and giving even more security to more generations to come through the family.
    But then moving clubs and uprooting your family may cause them unhappiness, ditto leaving the wife and kids behind and living in another country by yourself
  • Options
    Wonder what Bill Shankly would think of all this?
  • Options
    Thomas has been quiet through all of this. I think he needs to come out and say Charlton have no interest in being part of this Super League.
    Of all the things in life to worry about, TS considering his options for good old Charlton joining the European "Super" League probably isn't one of them!