Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

European Super League - clubs withdrawing p42 onwards.

Comments

• Options
    This will be a resounding success for those involved. The market in the east means clubs no longer need the Premier League, if anything, the Premier League is a stumbling block on the road to a financial utopia. They control the rules, revenue and ultimately football.

In 50 years time younger generations won’t understand what all the fuss was about. You can see it now, 12 year olds saying Messi was overrated because he never did it in the Super League. 

Seriously concerning for the rest of the football pyramid. Owners now have clubs with massive losses and now a glass ceiling on where they can go. 
    Yeah I think even if this doesn't go through in the way it is being proposed, the fact that they have gone this far is not a good omen for the future. 
    Unless something big happens to stop this, e.g legislature then it'll eventually happen exactly how they want it 
    It simply has to happen, unless there’s a seismic shift in the way our culture relates to consumerism or realigns our values towards community’s rather than corporate greed - it’s too good a deal to turn down. 

Fully expect UEFA, FIFA and the domestic leagues to bottle it and allow them to do what they want. They can’t afford to lose those teams. 
    I imagine they will let them get away with it also, people will be pissed off but at the end of the day, they're still gonna make a shit load of money and the audience will barely shrink. Legacy fans will stop going but rich tourists will still  fill out the stadiums every week. Overseas fans with no real link to the club will keep paying for merchandise and watching the games. Give it a few years and people will get over this
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Can't disagree with his words, but he plays for PSG who've opted not to take part, most likely only because of their Qatari owners not wanting to rock the boat ahead of the Qatar world cup. I've no doubt once that world cup is over PSG will be signing up.

It'll mean a lot more when top players at the 12 clubs come out against the ESL.
    Yeah I posted after that I thought he still played for them. Should've checked first, not watched a premier league game for ages. 
  • Options

• Options
    Talal said:
    Talal said:
    Can't disagree with his words, but he plays for PSG who've opted not to take part, most likely only because of their Qatari owners not wanting to rock the boat ahead of the Qatar world cup. I've no doubt once that world cup is over PSG will be signing up.

It'll mean a lot more when top players at the 12 clubs come out against the ESL.
    Yeah I posted after that I thought he still played for them. Should've checked first, not watched a premier league game for ages. 

You haven't missed much. 
  • Options
    Talal said:

Yeah I can't see the players coming out against it, they will surely be getting more money and certain to be playing against the best teams each week. 
  • Options
    Talal said:

I imagine the players at the 12 clubs are discussing amongst themselves what to do, and presenting a unified approach as they know they'll be asked about this.

Ditto the coaches - Leeds play Liverpool tonight, Bielsa and especially Klopp will have to say something
  • Options
    This will be a resounding success for those involved. The market in the east means clubs no longer need the Premier League, if anything, the Premier League is a stumbling block on the road to a financial utopia. They control the rules, revenue and ultimately football.

In 50 years time younger generations won’t understand what all the fuss was about. You can see it now, 12 year olds saying Messi was overrated because he never did it in the Super League. 

Seriously concerning for the rest of the football pyramid. Owners now have clubs with massive losses and now a glass ceiling on where they can go. 
    Yeah I think even if this doesn't go through in the way it is being proposed, the fact that they have gone this far is not a good omen for the future. 
    Unless something big happens to stop this, e.g legislature then it'll eventually happen exactly how they want it 
    It simply has to happen, unless there’s a seismic shift in the way our culture relates to consumerism or realigns our values towards community’s rather than corporate greed - it’s too good a deal to turn down. 

Fully expect UEFA, FIFA and the domestic leagues to bottle it and allow them to do what they want. They can’t afford to lose those teams. 
    They can afford to lose them if they are cut off. Over time other clubs will become 'the big clubs' in the existing competitions, and within a fair qualifying system there is the strong hope that the public's interest will sway towards these traditional competitions.
    It would be even more interesting if the fans of the Big Six form their own clubs and work their way up the leagues.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sky, having being highly critical last night (guessing Neville's script wasn't vetted), are now whitewashing their coverage with Mourinho. No coincidence that this has happened immediately after the Super League announcement to allow potential broadcasters to switch their criticism. Top 10 minutes of the hour it doesn't get a mention. Even what they're covering is overlaid by Mourinho banners. 
  • Options
    It really doesn't matter what anyone thinks, money talks and is the driving factor. Talk of banning them from other competions or banning  their players from representing their countries is nonsense, it would end in court and EUFA would lose and they don't have the money to match the ESL's legal team anyway or indeed the desire.
    Best anyone can hope for is that they leave all competions in this country for good, with the hope that with a drop in TV revenue because the big boys ain't playing anymore, a serious revaluation of football finances takes place, bringing a proper regulatory body on board and  getting rid of the awful FA. Still, fat chance of any of that happening as they are probably just angling for a bigger cut of the pie and more control of a game that they firmly believe is theirs to control. 
  • Options
    I guess the burning question is will the ESL have a positive effect on the amount of chips in a portion of chips at ESL games 🤷

Their customers don't eat chips.
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/YinDvtBCX0I

I think it’s totally screwed 
  • Options
    could be the best thing to happen to our football leagues for 30 years - let them all f**k off and slowly die 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    this is the football equivalent of the hundred, isnt it? no doubt they'll be scheduled games in the USA and china. Doomed to fail imo.
    The Hundred is a governing body driven competition supported by the Counties.

I also find the Premier League comparison a bit flaky
    If you call having a gun pointed at your head and being told “take this wad of cash or you’ll go out of existence” as “supported” then yes. It’s an ecb cash grab that’s throwing millions upon millions into a cricket competition designed for people who don’t like cricket... go figure.
    The difference is the counties are collecting a metric fuck ton of cash, have control when the ECB could have easily gone around them, and they will benefit as will the sport as a whole. The ESL isn't that, it's a cash grab by people used to collecting easy money through the franchise system in the US or desperate gamblers in Madrid, Milan and Barcelona
  • Options
    Have any of the players said anything yet? I wonder how much they knew about it
  • Options
    I managed to last 10yrs before I finally succumbed to a Sky subscription.

It’ll happen.

Fans are loyal to their teams and they know it, the barstewards.

Lets see how long I last this time when I have a Spurs supporting husband.
  • Options
    WSS said:
    According to source, some of those involved in ESL call traditional supporters of clubs “legacy fans” while they are focused instead on the “fans of the future” who want superstar names
    I work in IT. I love it when my bosses refer to our "legacy systems" and wax lyrical about f**** Microsoft Office 365: try running anything without your key business systems, regardless of what platform they are on and you'll see how useful Office is. Idiots. 

The Super League bollox sounds a bit like the Harlem Globetrotters, with a format mirroring the massively successful Scottish Prem because there aren't enough teams for a full programme. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bailey said:
    It really doesn't matter what anyone thinks, money talks and is the driving factor. Talk of banning them from other competions or banning  their players from representing their countries is nonsense, it would end in court and EUFA would lose and they don't have the money to match the ESL's legal team anyway or indeed the desire.
    Best anyone can hope for is that they leave all competions in this country for good, with the hope that with a drop in TV revenue because the big boys ain't playing anymore, a serious revaluation of football finances takes place, bringing a proper regulatory body on board and  getting rid of the awful FA. Still, fat chance of any of that happening as they are probably just angling for a bigger cut of the pie and more control of a game that they firmly believe is theirs to control. 
    Not sure why you say uefa will lose if this goes to court.

Daily telegraph has a good article saying the new league could be against EU law. 
  • Options
    Spurs! Super League! My Arse!

• Options
    Macronate said:
    Just looked at he format for the tournament and predict it will be the most boring sporting competition in the world.
    Yep. Same teams year after year, and after probably 5 of the league games you'll have 2-3 sides in each section who can't qualify or make the play offs. So they'll just be travelling about Europe playing meaningless games knowing they can't get relegated.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    Have any of the players said anything yet? I wonder how much they knew about it
    will be interesting because FIFA have previously said that anyone playing in breakaway leagues wouldn't be recognised and thus ineligible for world cups.

will players turn their backs on their country in order to double their money? (unfortunately i think most would)
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    Not sure why you say uefa will lose if this goes to court.

Daily telegraph has a good article saying the new league could be against EU law. 
    It's unlikely that EUFA could win this battle Fortune, we are assuming that this would break EU laws when quite simply they could take the competition outside European juristriction, remember a few years back the aborted attempt to house a Premier league game in the states? As I say I still feel this is brinkmanship to gain more control and more money, sadly the rest of football suffers and especially in our leagues, everybody has to try and keep up, it's creating huge black holes in finances for championship clubs and there is a knock on effect throughout the league. 
  • Options

They can afford to lose them if they are cut off. Over time other clubs will become 'the big clubs' in the existing competitions, and within a fair qualifying system there is the strong hope that the public's interest will sway towards these traditional competitions.
    It would be even more interesting if the fans of the Big Six form their own clubs and work their way up the leagues.

I hope you’re right. I don’t see any reality where the likes of Leicester and Everton dominating a league where there’s zero of the world’s top players in can possibly compete with the huge spectacle that the Super League wants to create. 

Leicester could win the new Premier League 100
    times in a row and they’d still not be as big a franchise as any of the clubs that have left. 

While the revenue in the pyramid drastically decreases, overheads remain the same. To me, this really does look like a disaster for everyone but the few who are leaving.