Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

European Super League - clubs withdrawing p42 onwards.

Comments

• Options
    Yes, they can have a World Cup like American football has!
    I mean, the professional American Football league is *literally* called the 'National' Football League (as in 'National' to the US, and their annual trophy is called the 'Super' bowl, not the 'World cup'. But - y'know, you do you.
    The winners are declared world champions though!
  • Options
    Fulham with the best tweet I’ve seen so far haha.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    I think the way people have reacted to lockdown has shown big business and powerful institutions they can do want they like and the common man might grumble a bit but eventually sucks it up.
    We’re living in such dangerous times IMO. 
    Let’s hope fan power wins the day in this instance. I guess our experience with Roland and ESI shows it can be done but my god what an effort. Once the flashy ESL PR machine kicks in and starts promoting the new league, will fans care enough or think their voice is powerful enough to stop it? Doubtful. 
  • Options
    I think it's a brilliant idea - and I'm assuming it has been timed to coincide with the anniversary of the last time Spurs won the top division. A Diamond Jubilee celebration.
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    I think the way people have reacted to lockdown has shown big business and powerful institutions they can do want they like and the common man might grumble a bit but eventually sucks it up.
    We’re living in such dangerous times IMO. 
    Let’s hope fan power wins the day in this instance. I guess our experience with Roland and ESI shows it can be done but my god what an effort. Once the flashy ESL PR machine kicks in and starts promoting the new league, will fans care enough or think their voice is powerful enough to stop it? Doubtful. 
    The fans they care about won't care about this - the fans that they want to monetise more are the foreign fans that will never step foot inside the stadium other  than once in a blue moon - not to say that there is necessarily anything wrong with that, but the real fans, the legacy ones as above, don't bring in enough cash for them to give a shit about them. 
  • Options
    One Super League Manager already sacked....Jose Mourinho....they get rid of them fast in this league don't  they ! 😂😂😂😂
    Kim Jong-un 5-1 with Corals 
  • Options
    These clubs have been slowly killing football league clubs since the formation of the premier league. I couldn't really care less what they do.i would hope they are kicked out of English football but that will not happen.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2021
    The sooner those clubs go the better. The restructured English League system will eventually find new big clubs but in the meantime, English League players will just have to cope with earning less money. It will be a shock to a lot of them but they'll get over it. 
  • Options
    Dortmund have confirmed they will play no part in this. 

Interesting to see if the sums can add up without the French and Germany TV markets
  • Options
    Mental that spurs are involved, i remember when we used to loan them our fringe players, and i'm not even 30 yet. 
  • Options
    When issue I haven't seen talked out much is how this will change the transfer market between the clubs involved.  In the scheme of things there isn't much activity between them, it is more common in Italy though.

But when you have a player like Haaland you end up with a bidding way between 3 or 4 of them.  It might not increase the fee Dortmund get but it drives the wages and agents slice up through the roof because they are all scared the other one will get him.

If the "prize money" is guaranteed there isn't that arms race is there?  They could even buy him from Dortmund and "give" him to the team, out of the 12, that finishes lowest. 
  • Options
    this is the football equivalent of the hundred, isnt it? no doubt they'll be scheduled games in the USA and china. Doomed to fail imo.
  • Options
    what does this all mean for the league one play-offs?
    Winner gets an invite to the ESL.
  • Options
    If it goes ahead, so many talented players are going to end there careers with no medals or trophies to look back at. At least now, they have opportunities to pick up domestic league and cup medals. Not going to happen when only one of the fifteen can win each season. 
  • Options
    this is the football equivalent of the hundred, isnt it? no doubt they'll be scheduled games in the USA and china. Doomed to fail imo.
    The Hundred is a governing body driven competition supported by the Counties.

I also find the Premier League comparison a bit flaky
  • Options
    I thought about this. People are getting really desperate to milk everything they can out of all our sports at the expense of the sports themselves 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hopefully - and with no way back.

• Options
    Do the current owners really care if their club is damaged long term if they get significantly richer in the short term? They will have probably sold the club by then anyway and pocketed the profits. Do the Glaziers actually watch Manchester United play?
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Rothko said:
    The Hundred is a governing body driven competition supported by the Counties.

I also find the Premier League comparison a bit flaky
    It's only supported by ALL the counties because they got bunged some much needed cash to support it. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    When issue I haven't seen talked out much is how this will change the transfer market between the clubs involved.  In the scheme of things there isn't much activity between them, it is more common in Italy though.

But when you have a player like Haaland you end up with a bidding way between 3 or 4 of them.  It might not increase the fee Dortmund get but it drives the wages and agents slice up through the roof because they are all scared the other one will get him.

If the "prize money" is guaranteed there isn't that arms race is there?  They could even buy him from Dortmund and "give" him to the team, out of the 12, that finishes lowest. 
    Assuming he wants to go there. If the ban from players playing for their national teams is enforced, he might see that as a deal breaker.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Dortmund have confirmed they will play no part in this. 

Interesting to see if the sums can add up without the French and Germany TV markets
    Those markets are dwarfed into insignificance by the target audience which is the Far East.
  • Options

Speaking to BBC World News earlier, Chris Beauchamp, the chief market analyst at IG, said: 

“I can understand it from a business perspective. These football clubs are far more than businesses. They are giant businesses with huge revenues and huge costs. There’s a lot of that behind it.

"These clubs can take themselves off from their national leagues and monopolise that revenue and provide secure incomes very much on that American model. These teams are essentially giant franchises and you get that visibility of revenue. This will command attention around the globe so this is why they’re doing it.

“They’ve stirred a multitude of hornets' nests here and reflect the anger from top to bottom.

“Trickle down economics is clearly alive and well in football, if nothing else, but it doesn’t seem to work that way. The perception will be that they take control of these revenues and make sure they get the lion's share. They will argue because they’re the ones bringing the attention.

"It’s right to say it will hurt teams further down the scale. If you have a game that is isolated from the grass roots and its foundations, you wonder how long it can really last in its form."