Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

European Super League - clubs withdrawing p42 onwards.

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2021
    It's not really the inside story, they have three quotes from unnamed sources that don't say anything you wouldn't expect. The rest is a summary of what happened.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    This £120m bill that the clubs face?

Is that each or collectively?

And who are they paying the bill to and for what?

Did they spend £120m on fees? They certainly didn't spend it on market research, PR or graphic design?

It would be great to think they will have to hand over £120m but what are the details?
    The 9 have to pay it to Barca, Real and Juve.  That's why they haven't "pulled out". 

I can see Juve bearing the brunt of the fall out, knowing how likely the spanish authorities are to do anything serious to Madrid and Barca.

This is going to get even more messy and its far from over. 
    Cheers,

Each? That £1.08bn split between those three clubs. Real can buy some more players (won't even think about servicing their debt)

Can't read the FT article as behind a paywall, we're not all rich accountants
    This 100%. Real & Barca are in massive trouble and cannot stand that other clubs now have more clout than them. 
  • Options
    This raises some different points, quite thought provoking actually.  I'll give up if this one is behind a pay wall!!

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/european-super-league-idea-arose-because-global-fans-not-interested-in-tradition-3212637
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    These clubs all now saying they joined because they didn't want to get left behind, no thought for the rest of football.

Hope it is £120m each. Not sure where it's going though, bolster UEFA slush funds maybe?
    Not sure how a fine levied within a private contract outside of Uefa's control, and which Uefa opposed, would end up with Uefa...
  • Options

Did they spend £120m on fees? They certainly didn't spend it on market research, PR or graphic design?

It would be great to think they will have to hand over £120m but what are the details?
    Sorry, that's what I thought, but it's The Daily Mirror.
  • Options
    It would be great to think they would have to hand over £120m to help the game, but not to greedy clubs and Perez. Seeing as the Super League hasn't got of the ground, maybe they can have a legal defence against it. Maybe along the lines of we'll pay it when the Super League starts and is operational.
  • Options
    A slightly out of date comment as it was posted on youtube before the English clubs stood down, but it still made me laugh...

"This is literally the world war of football with the twist that Germany is on the good side and France hasn't surrendered".
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

The 9 have to pay it to Barca, Real and Juve.  That's why they haven't "pulled out". 

I can see Juve bearing the brunt of the fall out, knowing how likely the spanish authorities are to do anything serious to Madrid and Barca.

Cheers,

Each? That £1.08bn split between those three clubs. Real can buy some more players (won't even think about servicing their debt)

The document i saw from Der Spiegel has an alleged copy of the Real Madrid contract signed by Perez.

The penalty for withdrawing from the league is 3.5m euros per club. So fuck all really. Basically means Madrid, Barca and Juve will share 31.5m from the other 9 clubs. If indeed they do have to pay it. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Cheers,

The document i saw from Der Spiegel has an alleged copy of the Real Madrid contract signed by Perez.

The penalty for withdrawing from the league is 3.5m euros per club. So fuck all really. Basically means Madrid, Barca and Juve will share 31.5m from the other 9 clubs. If indeed they do have to pay it. 
    Isn't it 3.5 million per year for 23 years, or how ever long the "deal" was for?  Although that's still not the same figure 🤷‍♂️
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Why don’t our clubs come out and say he’s wrong ?   There silence says he could be telling the truth. 
  • Options
    If Perez keeps insisting that the ESL is still on, binding contracts, etc., shouldn’t Real Madrid be ejected from the Champions League?
    They should be given until Monday to leave the Super League with costs evenly spread between all the rogue clubs or they are kicked out of the Champions League and relegated from La Liga. All the clubs should then pay £100m which should go to grass roots and lower league football in their nations.  
  • Options
    If Perez keeps insisting that the ESL is still on, binding contracts, etc., shouldn’t Real Madrid be ejected from the Champions League?
    I remember when my Grandad got like this too, it’s a very difficult and sensitive situation. 
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    As he is only doing so to try to get pay outs from the clubs that have pulled out. FIFA/UEFA have to act swiftly against him and his club. On a tactical level, fining and relegating the clubs who have not withdrawn yet would make a lot of sense. In the case of Real, they should be kicked out of the Champions League too. It would wipe out any chance of these clubs scheming together again.

I do think you have to look at Chelsea and Man City and say, they at least pulled out after a couple of days. Now that doesn't mean they shouldn't be punished, I think they should financially. But Madrid and any others that have not pulled out and are being defiant, you have to act. 
  • Options
    Who is going to enforce any action that Perez is hoping to bring? It will not be UEFA or FIFA for sure. 
  • Options
    cafc999 said:
    Who is going to enforce any action that Perez is hoping to bring? It will not be UEFA or FIFA for sure. 

Courts? If it is enforceable, as Perez believes it is, then any claim for breach of contract and consequential losses would be determined by the Courts.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    cafc999 said:

Courts? If it is enforceable, as Perez believes it is, then any claim for breach of contract and consequential losses would be determined by the Courts.
    When you have multi national contracts like this don't you have to state who has jurisdiction in any dispute?

This to take years to unravel 
  • Options
    I think with Perez, you need to replace the word 'football' with 'Real Madrid' for his statement to make sense.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    bobmunro said:
    cafc999 said:

When you have multi national contracts like this don't you have to state who has jurisdiction in any dispute?

This to take years to unravel 

I didn't say it would be easy!!
  • Options
    If Real Madrid are going to benefit from the Super League financially, any money they make from penalties should be brought back to the game via fines. The problem is, UEFA  need to make the ruling but then ensure it goes to grassroots football in Europe.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    cafc999 said:

I'd be amazed if anything comes of it. Honestly can't see how Perez can enforce it given the whole thing has collapsed and even the backers JP Morgan apologised. Have they also pulled out as without them there is no money?

Clubs should say to Madrid and Barcelona, ok if you continue with this farce we'll never sell a player to you again. Literally cut them off from buying anyone from 9 of the worlds biggest clubs and see how they react.
  • Options
    So a letter from Thomas and Leo then? ;)